PDA

View Full Version : Ten Things You Need To Know About Rand Paul

JohnEngland
07-14-2010, 07:37 AM
Don't know if this has been commented on yet, but there's a great article at the National Review about Rand. It concludes:

For those of us whose top issue is the debt, Paul is pretty refreshing. From my perspective, there are really two things going on here: One is the question of whether Republicans retake one or both houses of Congress in the next couple of elections. The other question—and, in some ways, the more important one—is: What is the character of that (potentially) emerging Republican majority? The GOP is really at an ideological crossroads, and it’s not clear whether the future of the party looks more like Mitt Romney or Rand Paul. The reality is that the case for small government is not being made most effectively by Rand Paul, the tea parties, or by pundits and activists: It’s being made by a worldwide financial meltdown, followed by a worldwide recession, followed by a serious of sovereign-debt crises. For Rand Paul, the times are on his side.

For the "Ten Things You Need To Know":

http://www.nationalreview.com/exchequer/231027/ten-things-you-should-know-about-rand-paul

sailingaway
07-14-2010, 07:41 AM
Oh PLEASE let the future of the GOP be more Rand Paul than Mitt Romney!

OK, I'll read the rest of the article now....

sailingaway
07-14-2010, 07:51 AM
EXCELLENT article!

I take exception to their statements that Ron takes 'really good ideas and runs them to absurdity' (paraphrased). Ron thinks ideas are the most important and powerful instruments of change, and that inspiring people is the way to make ideas spread. But for Ron's revolution of ideas, would it be Rand's solutions people are looking to now? I sincerely doubt it. They see themselves as serving different roles.

However, I absolutely agree that the Dems were idiots for taking the 'lunatic' approach with Rand, because he is so impressive. Some people you might call a wing nut and people will look at their speeches and at least be in doubt. Rand, you call a wing nut, and they look at Rand's speeches and are impressed. The media feeding frenzy calls attention to him, and he is fully capable of taking it from there. I really see this approach backfiring BIG time, particularly if candidates in other states they are painting as wing nuts can hide under his shadow. Once it is clear Rand Paul is being characterized with no respect for reality, the whole house of cards of the Dem current current election strategy falls, potentially.

MRoCkEd
07-14-2010, 10:41 AM
Very good article.

Matt Collins
07-14-2010, 11:00 AM
This guy doesn't have a clue what he's talking about in is point #5.

But yes other than that the guy nailed it.

Cowlesy
07-14-2010, 11:11 AM
Ron Paul is the kind of libertarian who makes libertarians wish they weren’t libertarians.

That's not true, but nonetheless, a very nice post by Kevin Williamson.