PDA

View Full Version : Guns rights, privacy and business insurance

Brian4Liberty
07-13-2010, 08:59 PM
An interesting relationship exists between gun rights, privacy and insurance. Let's say that you own a business. Do you need general insurance (that includes fire and theft insurance)? Do you want to have a weapon of some kind at your business for defense? Do you have to tell your insurance assessor that you have a weapon, what kind, how much ammo, and how much training? Does an insurance company have a "right" to know every single thing about an entity that they do business with? Will you know if your insurance rates increase because you do have a weapon at your business? Obviously, you will know when they cancel or refuse to insure you due to weapons.

This is not hypothetical. Major business insurers are starting to ask these questions, and raise rates or outright refuse to insure you.

The obvious answer is that if you want to have a weapon, you very well may need to do without insurance.

Any thoughts?

noxagol
07-13-2010, 09:08 PM
An insurance company can ask any question it wants, and you can answer or not. Based on this, the insurance company can charge you whatever it wants or refuse to cover you. You can choose to accept this charge or go without insurance.

Having to tell them or not depends on your contract with them. They could stipulate in it that you must, in which case you must. If it doesn't say, then you can tell them or not.

They don't have a right to know whatever they want, but they also don't have to insure you if you don't satisfy them.

bunklocoempire
07-13-2010, 09:19 PM
First thought:

Looks like another scam opportunity for the NRA.

Keep your insurance? Simply drop some dough for NRA or NRA approved training as required by your State regulated insurance company.

See, everyones safe that way.....:rolleyes::D

Bunkloco

Anti Federalist
07-13-2010, 09:20 PM
First thought:

Looks like another scam opportunity for the NRA.

Keep your insurance? Simply drop some dough for NRA or NRA approved training as required by your State regulated insurance company.

See, everyones safe that way.....:rolleyes::D

Bunkloco

Or NRA "approved" insurance.

Brian4Liberty
07-13-2010, 09:35 PM
Or NRA "approved" insurance.

Yeah, that is a possibility. If all the major insurers decide to not do business with businesses that are armed, a niche market could spring up just for insurance for gun owners.

And yes, once it is out in the open that insurance companies are starting to do this, it's possible that they will specify some requirements, which would no doubt include training. Fire suppression system requirements are detailed and specific.

Brian4Liberty
07-14-2010, 12:18 PM
An insurance company can ask any question it wants, and you can answer or not. Based on this, the insurance company can charge you whatever it wants or refuse to cover you. You can choose to accept this charge or go without insurance.

Having to tell them or not depends on your contract with them. They could stipulate in it that you must, in which case you must. If it doesn't say, then you can tell them or not.

They don't have a right to know whatever they want, but they also don't have to insure you if you don't satisfy them.

I agree that the Insurance company can ask whatever it wants. But it is interesting how politics can find their way into a business transaction.

Customer: "I'd like fire insurance."
Insurer: "Great, let's do the paperwork. Do you have any guns?"
Customer:"No, why?"
Insurer:"Just a standard question. Do you believe that the Second Amendment applies to individuals, and that you may want to exercise that right in the future?."
Customer:"Yes, that's the right to bear arms."
Insurer:"Do you support gay marriage?"
Customer:"I don't care!"
Insurer:"Do you smoke marijuana?"
Customer:"Do the Police get to see this information?"
Insurer:"It is absolutely confidential. No one will see this information."
Customer:"Yeah, I smoke a little, not too much though."
More questions...
Insurer:"Now that we're done, it looks like you don't qualify."
Customer:"Why?"
Insurer:"It's our proprietary evaluation software, can't give you the details, I don't even know how it works exactly."

Later on:
One Insurer to another:"Check this guy out. Don't give him insurance. Do you think we should turn this gun nut into the Police? Let's give the Police an anonymous call and tell them that the guy has guns and a ton of pot, that will show this NRA lover!"

;)

pcosmar
07-14-2010, 12:24 PM
I thought owning a Gun was a form of insurance.

aside from that, the "insurance Industry" is a scam. Every form and type.

Brian4Liberty
07-14-2010, 12:49 PM
aside from that, the "insurance Industry" is a scam. Every form and type.

Absolutely.