PDA

View Full Version : Weigel: Rand Paul for Senate - New, Improved, Boring....

sailingaway
07-13-2010, 07:25 PM
h##p://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2010/07/rand-paul-for-senate-new-improved-boring.html

" Evan McMorris-Santoro finds great meaning in former Rand Paul campaign manager David Adams waving farewell to the Senate race:

"Back in May, after the string of disastrous national press appearances that resulted in Paul's high-profile cancellation of an appearance on Meet The Press, campaign manager David Adams was shifted to the role of campaign chairman. Jesse Benton, a longtime Paul family ally and a veteran of Rep. Ron Paul's (R-TX) presidential campaigns (sic*), took the reins as Rand Paul's campaign manager."

Look: Rand Paul isn't running this campaign in order to make good copy for people like me. He, like many Americans who aren't named "Evan Bayh," wants to be a senator. But the reason his campaign was so exciting, and able to draw in hardline libertarians who were disgruntled about Paul's stances on war and drugs, was that he seemed to promise an ideological debate of the variety we don't really get in this country, if we ever did. He was going to challenge the premise of the Great Society! He was going to call for whole government agencies to be abolished! He had "a message from the tea party!"

Paul was surprised by the new, harsh reaction he got from liberals after winning the Kentucky primary, because they were no longer interested in seeking common ground with him, and newly interested in nailing him on whether his views would destroy America. You know what? Tough. Rand Paul should be out there, winning that argument, not just engaging in mutual head-nodding contests on Fox News. Nothing is more irritating about President Obama than his unwillingness to hold press conferences and spar with reporters. It's less impactful, but just as irritating, when the Voice of the Tea Party makes a run for the rose garden. "

specsaregood
07-13-2010, 07:49 PM
you know what? Tough. Rand Paul should be out there, winning that argument,
You know what? I'd prefer he does what he thinks he needs to do to win the election so that he can go out there and win that argument from the senate floor!

sailingaway
07-13-2010, 07:50 PM
You know what? I'd prefer he does what he thinks he needs to do to win the election so that he can go out there and win that argument from the senate floor!

Yeah, I know. And Weigel sure wanted him dragged over the coals whenever there was a possible chance, even to the point of badgering Joe Arnold over not being biased enough to dig up talking points.

The other kind of campaign is more fun. My only concern though, is that Rand is filing off some of his best bits by trying to fit into a square hole. He has WON the primary. He will only get standard advice from the establishment, but THEY rate in the toilet with independents and Dems. Whereas Rand's Dad has a following equaled by no one else with independents.

low preference guy
07-13-2010, 07:51 PM

Yeah, the argument below is an often repeated leftist talking point. It has been used against Mike Lee and Bridgewater also. It's nonsense.

you know what? Tough. Rand Paul should be out there, winning that argument,

brandon
07-13-2010, 07:52 PM
Don't link to that scum bag Weigel....even if I do kind of agree with him.

sailingaway
07-13-2010, 07:54 PM

I'll break the link.

specsaregood
07-13-2010, 07:58 PM

You agree that Rand should go on interviews with antagonistic hosts so they can cut 30 seconds out of what he says, take it out of context and play it on a loop for a day or so? I don't.

low preference guy
07-13-2010, 08:02 PM
You agree that Rand should go on interviews with antagonistic hosts so they can cut 30 seconds out of what he says, take it out of context and play it on a loop for 60 ... day[s] or so? I don't.

;)

brandon
07-13-2010, 08:41 PM
You agree that Rand should go on interviews with antagonistic hosts so they can cut 30 seconds out of what he says, take it out of context and play it on a loop for a day or so? I don't.

Nah... I just wish he would fight the political battle and the ideological battle. So far he has only really focused on the former.

specsaregood
07-13-2010, 08:50 PM
Nah... I just wish he would fight the political battle and the ideological battle. So far he has only really focused on the former.

gotcha, of course there are lots of people already fighting the ideological battle, but precious few fighting it from within the political battlegrounds.