PDA

View Full Version : Ed Thompson Exceeds Petition Requirements

Galileo Galilei
07-13-2010, 06:04 PM
Ed Thompson Exceeds Petition Requirements

Shows Campaigning in Every County

(Madison) … Ed Thompson, candidate for the State Senate from the 31st District, today filed nomination papers containing nearly 1,000 signatures from people within the western district. Thompson gathered ballot access signatures from voters in Buffalo, Clark, Dunn, Eau Claire, Jackson, Monroe, Pepin, Pierce, and Trempealeau counties – every county that falls all or partially within the district. Through the last couple of months he has appeared at more than 100 events, cris-crossing the district and even marching in three Independence Day parades. Only 400 valid signatures were required, but Thompson’s campaign has been in high gear for the last several months.

“I’m excited by the genuinely warm reception I’m receiving from the folks in every corner of the district,” said Thompson as he turned in his petitions. “Our message about creating jobs by lowering spending and reducing taxes is resonating with the people of the district,” he added.

Thompson owns the Tee Pee Supper Club in Tomah. He’s been elected to the city council there and twice elected to serve as Mayor, stepping down at the end of his term in April to make his bid for the State Senate.

For more information, contact media@edthompson.com or call (608) 343-9444.

http://edthompson.com/press-releases/2010/thompson-exceeds-petition-requirements

http://edthompson.com/

nateerb
07-13-2010, 09:36 PM
Yay!

healthpellets
07-14-2010, 12:04 AM
man, i went to an event with Ed when I lived in Milwaukee. loved the guy ever since. good for him. g'luck, ed.

Galileo Galilei
07-14-2010, 12:11 PM
GOP candidates hope to ride wave of voter discontent

To assume control of the 33-member Senate, Republicans would have to gain two seats. In the Assembly, with 99 lawmakers, the GOP would need to pick up four seats.

Republicans have targeted at least five key Senate races, including the seats held by Sens. Jim Sullivan, D-Wauwatosa, and Kathleen Vinehout, D-Alma, both seeking re-election for the first time.

Sullivan faces Republican Leah Vukmir. Sullivan won his seat four years ago, defeating controversial Republican Tom Reynolds, but his district is traditionally Republican. Vinehout faces Republican Ed Thompson, brother of popular former Gov. Tommy Thompson. Like Sullivan, she won her seat four years ago in a district that leans toward the GOP.

"We believe that a lot of weak candidates were swept into office in 2006 and 2008," Welhouse said of the Democratic victors. "We don’t think they will be strong enough to win this time."

But Vinehout says Republican leaders are recycling the same rhetoric they used when they predicted she would lose four years ago.

"The voters will get their say again this year," she said. "And I am confident they will defy Republican leaders again."

http://www.courierlifenews.com/articles/2010/07/14/thisjustin/05belectionfilings.txt

Imperial
07-14-2010, 12:33 PM
Unfortunately, Thompson is running in a heavily Democratic district. However, I still think he has a better chance than many liberty candidates. He should have big name recognition from his statewide run for governor and his brother. A big name running in a much smaller race (ie, state senate) means that suddenly the calculus of the race swings much better in our favor.

Galileo Galilei
07-14-2010, 12:35 PM
Unfortunately, Thompson is running in a heavily Democratic district. However, I still think he has a better chance than many liberty candidates. He should have big name recognition from his statewide run for governor and his brother. A big name running in a much smaller race (ie, state senate) means that suddenly the calculus of the race swings much better in our favor.

It says in the above article that the district leans republican.

Imperial
07-14-2010, 12:37 PM
It says in the above article that the district leans republican.

Hmm i'll have to figure out where I saw that then...

Galileo Galilei
07-14-2010, 12:42 PM
Hmm i'll have to figure out where I saw that then...

Based on my knowledge of Wisconsin politics, the district does lean GOP. The seat used to be held by a republican and is mostly rural.

Galileo Galilei
07-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Remember, the seat is held by a one-term dem. She won the seat in 2006, which was a good year for democrats. At that time, everybody was sick of Bush. But now, the tide has turned.

AdamT
07-14-2010, 01:05 PM
Ed Thompson speaking at the last WI-CFL convention.

YouTube - 2010 WI C4L Convention 7 - Ed Thompson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHKfMouNMko)

Imperial
07-14-2010, 01:07 PM
Ok I believe you. I just have faulty intel. :D

But GO ED!!!!

Imperial
07-14-2010, 01:08 PM
Oh, and does he have any primary opponents?

Galileo Galilei
07-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Oh, and does he have any primary opponents?

I don't think so. If he does, it is just token resistance.

Galileo Galilei
07-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Ok I believe you. I just have faulty intel. :D

But GO ED!!!!

I do know that the democrat has tried to entrench herself with key interest groups since she was elected. Ed can do it, but it won't be a cakewalk.

libertybrewcity
07-14-2010, 03:36 PM
Ed Thompson will win with FLYING COLORS. A few years ago Ed wasn't running for any office, and the people of his town, Tomah WI, started a write-in campaign for city council and he WON! After he served on city council he ran for mayor of Tomah and won. The people absolutely love Ed in Wisconsin. After a few terms as State Senator, he will be an excellent contender for Wisconsin Gov, Senate against Feingold or Kohl when he resigns, or the representative seat held by a dem I believe.

Galileo Galilei
07-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Ed Thompson will win with FLYING COLORS. A few years ago Ed wasn't running for any office, and the people of his town, Tomah WI, started a write-in campaign for city council and he WON! After he served on city council he ran for mayor of Tomah and won. The people absolutely love Ed in Wisconsin. After a few terms as State Senator, he will be an excellent contender for Wisconsin Gov, Senate against Feingold or Kohl when he resigns, or the representative seat held by a dem I believe.

Hopefully against the ghost of Herb Kohl.

Badger Paul
07-14-2010, 03:54 PM
If it was any other Republican, they would lose. With Ed, they have a chance to win the seat back.

Galileo Galilei
07-14-2010, 04:02 PM
If it was any other Republican, they would lose. With Ed, they have a chance to win the seat back.

I'm a good friend of Ed's and talk to him on the phone all the time, but I live far south of his district. Ed is doing great in most areas. He is all over the district meeting with people and groups. His only weakness is in fundraising. When he ran for governor, he raised $500,000 as a Libertarian, which is remarkable. That was before the Internet was a huge as it is now. He has not yet tapped into the Ron Paul network, it seems.

So I hope some people here can help Ed out and chip in a little.