PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used Classical Conversations?

fisharmor
07-13-2010, 12:31 PM
We're starting to look into curricula for our 3yo.
Went to the orientation/ info meeting for Classical Conversations last night.
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the program.

I liked:
-use of the trivium
-semester of economics in the year that correlates to 9th grade, which uses basically Austrian theory (name dropped Hayek and Hazlitt)
-time spent with a dedicated tutor every week

Disliked:
-reciting the pledge
-incredibly Eurocentric
-Almost no music component

Anyone else have experience with it?

Baptist
07-14-2010, 08:44 AM
Never heard of it. Our kid is less than a year-old, so we have time to decide what we're going to do. However, we don't think we're going to use a curriculum. Our plan is to make sure he learns math reading/english/spelling/grammar. If he can read he will learn everything else just fine because we have nearly 2,000 books don't own a TV.

Have you read Gatto's stuff? I really like his philosophy on learning.

fisharmor
07-14-2010, 09:34 AM
Have you read Gatto's stuff? I really like his philosophy on learning.

I've read a couple books but they were, as I think of it, destructive as opposed to instructive.
He does a fine job at pointing out that individualism should be the end result of education, and that public school's primary purpose is to prevent it from ever occurring... but what I think he'd really do well to provide at some point is a how-to or plan for how to teach the way he did, irrespective of what was required of him.

I'm also less thrilled about the fact that we're looking at curricula, but I work and I'm pretty sure my wife is set on finding something that at least has goals and benchmarks.

fisharmor
07-14-2010, 09:36 AM
Oh, one more thing... all of the places that host CC programs in my area are at Baptist churches. No offense intended... what was a little bit of a warning sign for a Lutheran might be cause for you to check it out.
;)

noxagol
07-14-2010, 10:46 AM
If I were to ever have a kid, I plan to teach by doing. Child and I would do projects, and I would teach him everything about said project and all operations involved. It's good quality time, practical, hands on, exciting, and encompasses a lot of stuff.

Like building a go kart. This involves learning some metal fabrication skills, math, welding, which involves electricity and metallurgy, gears, engines, steering, and all sorts of other stuff.

A pinewood durby car, the little one cub scouts make, is great for teaching about aerodynamics. Downhill push carts too. Bird houses and dog houses are good for teaching structural concepts and wood working.

Some parents do projects, but I don't think they really go in depth and teach. They just do the project.

That's just my thoughts on this matter.

Baptist
07-14-2010, 06:53 PM
Oh, one more thing... all of the places that host CC programs in my area are at Baptist churches. No offense intended... what was a little bit of a warning sign for a Lutheran might be cause for you to check it out.
;)

Hehe, thanks for the heads up. We've ruled out Christian schools. I don't want my kid worshiping the state, government, military and Republicans. If I were to find a church who was liberty minded and NOT Fox Newsed out, then I'd reconsider.

[edit] I meant NOT into Fox.

John Taylor
07-15-2010, 11:14 AM
Hehe, thanks for the heads up. We've ruled out Christian schools. I don't want my kid worshiping the state, government, military and Republicans. If I were to find a church who were liberty minded and all Fox Newsed out, then I'd reconsider.

You should check out The Story of Liberty (http://www.amazon.com/Story-Liberty-Comprehend-Worth/dp/093855820X/ref=pd_sim_b_1).

It's a tremendously wonderful book.

Baptist
07-15-2010, 07:16 PM
Fish, I agree on the Gatto criticism. You seen Stupid in America?