PDA

View Full Version : How to start a YAL chapter?

Rocco
07-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Hello,

My name is Rocco Lucente, and I will be a freshman at Alfred University this coming fall. I have been an avid Ron Paul supporter ever since the 2008 campaign. I learned of YAL about 4 months ago and was wondering how I would go about setting up a chapter (if you guys could assist me in that kind of thing). Any response is much appreciated :)

Matt Collins
07-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Is the same Rocco that I met in KY?

GBurr
07-12-2010, 08:29 PM
Start by finding out what is the state of politically minded clubs on campus and what you need to do to establish a campus club.

1. Use the Alfred network on facebook to find groups. Most college clubs will have a facebook page on the network.
2. Check out your Student Government. You may find some like minded people within the SG.
3. Write a constitution for your club and prepare the paperwork for YAL national. You won't be able to file with YAL until you have 3 dues paying members.
4. Start a facebook group for "Alfred University Young Americans for Liberty" and invite the members of other facebook groups that likely have members that are open to the YAL message. Look for Defense groups, Civil Liberty groups, NRA, and even the college Republicans and Democrats.
5. Plan and announce your first meeting.
6. You will need to vote on and establish your executive positions quickly.

I really can't stress enough how useful your school's facebook network can be.

Rocco
07-12-2010, 08:36 PM
Nope, I'm from New York and havent ever been to kentucky, glad to hear my name is well represented though!

Is the same Rocco that I met in KY?

isrow
07-14-2010, 09:29 AM
Hey Rocco, this is great. I am an executive member in our SGA and in the process of starting a YAL chapter too. Here's what I would do:
1. Contact the student activities office and Student Senate to find out what the process is to get recognition and funds. Take the funds, if you don't someone else will. You'll need a constitution and a probably an advisor. Check out faculty pages in the political science or economic department and send out a couple emails.
2. Go to yaliberty.org. Become a member and start a chapter for your campus. Download the chapter plan. Fill it out and submit it.
3. When you get to school start recruiting. Make the club fun and a social activity. You're probably dorming but find an older student that will host a party. Make your activities snarky but not offensive.
4. Learn to market the message. This is something I am working on. Test out jokes about the government and use short stories about government absurdities. People usually don't want intense debates and if they do it can take weeks for the issue to be settled.
5. JOIN STUDENT GOVERNMENT. These are the students that run campus and the administration turns to. You will learn how things are done on your campus and it's a great learning experience. DO THIS.

Brett
07-14-2010, 09:30 AM
Good luck Rocco, and thanks for posting this. I'll be following the same steps as you this fall :)

Matt Collins
07-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Have you spoken to people at YAL about this? They can probably help you more than we can. :-)

AuH2O
07-14-2010, 03:52 PM
http://www.yaliberty.org/chapters

Rocco
07-17-2010, 01:56 PM
I have not, but I will asap! Thank you guys so much for the outpouring of info/support! Will keep you posted on spreading the liberty message to western NY!!!

Have you spoken to people at YAL about this? They can probably help you more than we can. :-)