PDA

View Full Version : A picture is worth a thousand words: immigration

madengr
07-12-2010, 07:48 PM
https://mathcounts.org/view.image?Id=1047

https://mathcounts.org/Page.aspx?pid=301

Here are the 6 winners, out of 100k students, from the 2010 Raytheon national math competition. One of the kids (2nd place) is from my town in fly-over country.

I posted this pic on another forum where someone was griping about "birthing tourism"; wealthy foreigners having kids in the US and paying out-of-pocket for medical expenses, etc.. I figure why not, we need people like this. These kids are American, but it shows how immigrants value education and work ethic (at least for Asians and East Indians). No news to new me though; I'm an EE and had 26 of 28 students in one signal processing class either Asian or East Indian.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/birth-tourism-industry-markets-us-citizenship-abroad/story?id=10359956&page=1

South Park Fan
07-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Looks like my calculus class.

libertybrewcity
07-12-2010, 08:00 PM
they will get their education and go right back to Asia or where ever they came from. The opportunities in India and China are so much better than the US. Learn Chinese!

YumYum
07-12-2010, 08:03 PM
Wow! Where are the white and black kids? Oh, that's right. This isn't American Idol.

james1906
07-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Wow! Where are the white and black kids? Oh, that's right. This isn't American Idol.

These kids would get slapped if they told their parents they want to be a singer when they grow up.

Baptist
07-12-2010, 08:06 PM

ROFL

That picture looks like the the halls in the Math and Engineering buildings here on campus.

Brian4Liberty
07-12-2010, 08:11 PM
I posted this pic on another forum where someone was griping about "birthing tourism"; wealthy foreigners having kids in the US and paying out-of-pocket for medical expenses, etc.. I figure why not, we need people like this. These kids are American, but it shows how immigrants value education and work ethic (at least for Asians and East Indians). No news to new me though; I'm an EE and had 26 of 28 students in one signal processing class either Asian or East Indian.

And what's your point exactly? If you are saying that these particular recent immigrants value education, then that is completely accurate. Let's not be collectivist and imply that it's because of anything else though. After a generation in the US, the children of these guys very well may be lazy, spoiled kids like a lot of America. A society that insists that every kid must have a big screen TV, an XBox and an IPhone without working for anything can drain the work ethic and educational values out of anyone.

Standing Like A Rock
07-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Looks like my calculus class.

qft

specsaregood
07-12-2010, 08:29 PM
I'd wager all their parents were legal immigrants.

Liberty Star
07-12-2010, 08:32 PM
No more immigration from "terrorist nations".
Circa Iowa Primary. We lost some good people then.

LibForestPaul
07-12-2010, 08:41 PM
So, calculus is required for top paying civil service jobs with vested pension after 20yrs?:D

Che
07-12-2010, 08:55 PM
don't worry, they'll depopulate sooner than you think. Look at those kids, they can solve quantum physics, but no idea how to pleasure a girl.

madengr
07-12-2010, 09:00 PM
And what's your point exactly? If you are saying that these particular recent immigrants value education, then that is completely accurate. Let's not be collectivist and imply that it's because of anything else though.

That was exactly my point. I don't see how I was implying collectivism, other than I used the word "we".

BlackTerrel
07-12-2010, 09:06 PM
Who would've thunk that hard work and valuing education were valuable?

These kids would get slapped if they told their parents they want to be a singer when they grow up.

This is why I always laugh when people say "we need better teachers" or "we need to spend more money on education". I guarantee you that many black and white kids go to schools with better funding and more qualified teachers. The biggest difference is parents and a culture that values education.

noxagol
07-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Who would've thunk that hard work and valuing education were valuable?

This is why I always laugh when people say "we need better teachers" or "we need to spend more money on education". I guarantee you that many black and white kids go to schools with better funding and more qualified teachers. The biggest difference is parents and a culture that values education.

That, and these kids probably end up teaching themselves or go to a school that actually gives a shit about something than getting the herd to pass the next standardized test so they can get more funding.

BlackTerrel
07-12-2010, 09:26 PM
That, and these kids probably end up teaching themselves or go to a school that actually gives a shit about something than getting the herd to pass the next standardized test so they can get more funding.

I disagree about the school. For a number of reasons I moved around a lot from the ages of 3-18 and have been to many many public schools. Black schools, white schools, Asian schools and everything in between.

The biggest difference in the achievement gap between these groups was not the schools. Some schools I went to were diverse and yet the Asian kids were always in the advanced placement sections and the black kids were in the remedial sections. The white kids were in between. Same schools, same access to education - different results. There are many many exceptions and I am clearly generalizing - but that was the trend.

The difference had nothing to do with genetics or any race being "superior" or "inferior" or any other such nonsense that people like to promote. It had to do with the fact that when Tyrone Johnson failed out of school his mom that worked 3 jobs didn't give a fuck. When Sanjay Patel or Gary Chau got a B their parents smacked the shit out of them and told them to work harder.

This is my biggest beef with the "black community". We don't need more money from the government for better schools or better teachers. Teachers can only do so much when the kid doesn't care and doesn't try. We need parents that give a fuck. But many in the community want to blame the schools and the teachers. No money in the world will be enough when you have parents that don't fucking care.

It's one of the reasons I am so respectful of the Asian culture, the Indian culture, the Jewish culture. I work in tech - I have visited Facebook, EBay, Google, Yahoo campuses. These groups combined are 5% of the population and 60% of the employees of these companies. Many times I am the only black guy in the cafeteria out of thousands of employees. This picture posted in the OP really says it all.

RM918
07-13-2010, 12:17 AM
I disagree about the school. For a number of reasons I moved around a lot from the ages of 3-18 and have been to many many public schools. Black schools, white schools, Asian schools and everything in between.

The biggest difference in the achievement gap between these groups was not the schools. Some schools I went to were diverse and yet the Asian kids were always in the advanced placement sections and the black kids were in the remedial sections. The white kids were in between. Same schools, same access to education - different results. There are many many exceptions and I am clearly generalizing - but that was the trend.

The difference had nothing to do with genetics or any race being "superior" or "inferior" or any other such nonsense that people like to promote. It had to do with the fact that when Tyrone Johnson failed out of school his mom that worked 3 jobs didn't give a fuck. When Sanjay Patel or Gary Chau got a B their parents smacked the shit out of them and told them to work harder.

This is my biggest beef with the "black community". We don't need more money from the government for better schools or better teachers. Teachers can only do so much when the kid doesn't care and doesn't try. We need parents that give a fuck. But many in the community want to blame the schools and the teachers. No money in the world will be enough when you have parents that don't fucking care.

It's one of the reasons I am so respectful of the Asian culture, the Indian culture, the Jewish culture. I work in tech - I have visited Facebook, EBay, Google, Yahoo campuses. These groups combined are 5% of the population and 60% of the employees of these companies. Many times I am the only black guy in the cafeteria out of thousands of employees. This picture posted in the OP really says it all.

Exactly, it's all about culture and how you're raised.

Jace
07-13-2010, 01:01 AM
Exactly, it's all about culture and how you're raised.

Why do blacks dominate the NBA and the NFL? Is it all about culture and the way they were raised?

Indians and Chinese are raised to be $75,000/year worker bee dorks? Blacks are raised to be dumb muscle-bound millionaire athletes?

What are you saying?

Live_Free_Or_Die
07-13-2010, 01:10 AM
don't worry, they'll depopulate sooner than you think. Look at those kids, they can solve quantum physics, but no idea how to pleasure a girl.

If you can $olve quantum physic$, women find you.

RM918
07-13-2010, 01:27 AM
Why do blacks dominate the NBA and the NFL? Is it all about culture and the way they were raised?

Indians and Chinese are raised to be $75,000/year worker bee dorks? Blacks are raised to be dumb muscle-bound millionaire athletes?

What are you saying?

I'm saying there are different goals at play and a different emphasis on things between cultures and households.

BlackTerrel
07-13-2010, 01:52 AM
Why do blacks dominate the NBA and the NFL? Is it all about culture and the way they were raised?[quote]

Yes. When I was in black schools 99% of males wanted to be a rapper/athlete/actor etc... They didn't believe society would let us excel in anything else and being smart, going to a good college and "acting white" was selling out. I believe that has changed somewhat with the election of Obama - at least he has done something positive.

[quote]Indians and Chinese are raised to be $75,000/year worker bee dorks? Blacks are raised to be dumb muscle-bound millionaire athletes?

If you think the Asians and Indians at Google are making $75,000 a year you really don't know. I know 25 year old kids who make $350K a year base + stock options + cash bonus. And that's small compared to the ones who start their own company.

What are you saying?

I'm saying it's hard to feed 30 million people off of rappers, athletes, and actors. While it's cool for the 0.01% that make that the 99.99% that don't are left to work a shitty job or rely on the government.

The best way for all of us (white, black, Asian etc...) to succeed is get off the government subsidies, stop relying on schools to teach our kids and have some parents that give a fuck about their children's educations.

The Patriot
07-13-2010, 03:38 AM
I know a couple Indian guys who are going back to India for work(there is some real money there). One of my friends, who has a degree in finance and economics, got a job in San Francisco, but let's just say, he isn't getting paid what graduates out of my school got paid just 3 or 4 years ago.

nobody's_hero
07-13-2010, 04:34 AM
What's Obama recruiting them for?

Can we play a caption game?

"Great work, young men. I need you to engineer me some spy gadgets that fit in doctor's stethoscopes, so we can see who is paying for healthcare under-the-table."

Or it could be that Obama really doesn't give a crap about the kids.

Raytheon is d***-high in government contracts.

http://www.raytheon.com/newsroom/feature/rtn10_nasa_eosdis/

It sucks to be used.