PDA

View Full Version : Gulf oil spill cap going on now. . .

TNforPaul45
07-12-2010, 05:17 PM
It looks like they just put the cap on the gulf oil spill...i don't have a feed link handy sorry

www.bp.com

TNforPaul45
07-12-2010, 05:20 PM
It's on....the oil is being collected at 100% now...

Libertytree
07-12-2010, 05:26 PM
I call BS! You're happy to report what BP says? I want proof not PR!!!

TNforPaul45
07-12-2010, 05:31 PM
I call BS! You're happy to report what BP says? I want proof not PR!!!

Liberty,

No no I'm not reporting what they are saying, I'm watching the Video Feed from the pipe. When they put the new cap on, the oil completely stopped (was contained).

Libertytree
07-12-2010, 05:49 PM
It's just not substantiated, "reporting" that all is well is wrong IMHO. I live down here and keep meticulous track of what's going on and I just am not that trusting.

To tell ya the truth I'm even a little amazed that the folks here at RPF treat it as if it's a non event but then again most here are still stuck in the left/right, Rep/Dem paradigm that voting and being proactive make a damn anymore.

Bruno
07-12-2010, 05:51 PM
Please let this cap work! This has gone on too long. And why didn't they have a containment cap pre-built and ready to put in place immediately after the explosion?

I believe there are still other leaks on the ocean floor and/or in other segments of the pipe. Will that continue, and/or will it cause more backpressure?

Btw - Fox is covering Mel Gibson and CNN is covering Sen. Reid's bill.

rancher89
07-12-2010, 06:26 PM
http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKN1218674120100712

Absolutely nothing on anything being capped by any other sources than BP today...

Top result from google search besides official BP releases as of 6:52 PM today (not including purely political ramifications type news stories):

TOP DEVELOPMENTS

* BP Plc is in talks with U.S. oil and gas company Apache Corp. (APA.N) and others to sell assets worth up to $10 billion as it grapples with the costs of its spill in the Gulf of Mexico. [ID:nLDE66B0GF]

* BP said it expects to attach a new containment cap later on Monday that should more than triple the amount of oil being collected from the energy giant's leaking Gulf of Mexico wellhead. [ID:nN12179653]

CAPTURE/CONTAINMENT/CLEANUP

* BP would implement a permanent oil-collection system at its Gulf of Mexico leak by late August or early September if a pair of relief wells fail to plug the gusher, a BP executive told the Obama oil spill commission on Monday. [ID:nN12185342]

* On Monday, the first of two relief wells, begun on May 2, was about 190 feet (58 metres) from intercepting the blown-out well that is 13,000 feet (3,960 metres) beneath the seabed, Doug Suttles, BP's chief operating officer said. [ID:nN12179653]

* The siphoning vessel Q4000, collected and burned off 8,235 barrels of leaking oil on Sunday. BP said as of July 10 the total amount of oil collected or flared by its containment systems was about 749,100 barrels. [ID:nN09273170]

POLITICS/POLICY

* The Obama administration is likely to announce revised rules banning deepwater offshore drilling on Monday, an administration official said. The announcement was expected after an original blanket ban was struck down by a federal court. [ID:nN12204551]

* A White House panel probing the BP Plc oil spill began work on Monday and could offer recommendations on the future of deepwater drilling within six months, one of its co-chairmen said. [ID:nN12183528]

* The U.S. Justice Department has started interviewing witnesses as part of the criminal and civil investigation of the oil spill, Attorney General Eric Holder said in a television interview broadcast on Sunday. [ID:nN10133283]

MARKET IMPACT/COMPANIES

* Anadarko Petroleum Corp (APC.N), which owns 25 percent of the ruptured BP well, has told the British energy giant that, for now, it will not pay a $272 million bill to cover cleanup costs. [ID:nN09165285]

* Diamond Offshore Drilling Inc. (DO.N) is pulling one of its deepwater rigs out of the Gulf of Mexico, in the first such move resulting from uncertainties surrounding the U.S. moratorium on deepwater drilling. [ID:nLDE66B08Q]

* BP said on Monday the cost of the spill had risen to about $3.5 billion. More than 52,000 payments have been made to claimants, totaling almost $165 million. About 105,000 claims had been submitted. [ID:nLDE66B09X]

* BP shares surged more than 9 percent in London and nearly 8 percent in New York on Monday, driven by the potential asset sales and hopes for a new system to capture almost all of the spewing oil. [ID:nLDE66B0GF]

* BP shares have fallen about 40 percent since an explosion on its Deepwater Horizon rig on April 20, which killed 11 men. [ID:nLDE66B0GF]

(Compiled by Alyson Zepeda in Houston; Editing by Paul Simao)

Deborah K
07-12-2010, 06:32 PM
What they need to do is put a great big wedding ring around the leak - as soon as they do, it'll stop putting out. :D

noxagol
07-12-2010, 06:33 PM
what they need to do is put a great big wedding ring around the leak - as soon as they do, it'll stop putting out. :d

haha

charrob
07-12-2010, 10:45 PM
so much wildlife is already suffering/dead... (http://georgewashington2.blogspot.com/2010/07/you-are-not-authorized-to-see-these.html)what does it even matter... :(

FindLiberty
07-13-2010, 02:11 AM
LIVE FEED URL HERE - Waiting for BO to throw the switch? (http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_internet/globalbp/globalbp_uk_english/incident_response/STAGING/local_assets/html/Skandi_ROV2.html)

Bruno
07-13-2010, 07:06 AM
We'll probably confirm down the road what a bad idea the dispersants were.

Elwar
07-13-2010, 07:07 AM
LIVE FEED URL HERE - Waiting for BO to throw the switch? (http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_internet/globalbp/globalbp_uk_english/incident_response/STAGING/local_assets/html/Skandi_ROV2.html)

Looks like it's still spewing...

I hope they get that thing plugged up soon.

I hear so much about "clean up" but nothing about prevention.

free1
07-13-2010, 08:14 AM
"The siphoning vessel Q4000, collected and burned off 8,235 barrels of leaking oil on Sunday"

What about all that CO2 we were so worried about? WTF? That was like so last year....

CAP AND TRADE!!!! Yes! vote for bama!!!