PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING: Scott Brown (Rino-MA) to support Wall St reform; Dems appear to have 60

bobbyw24
07-12-2010, 10:56 AM
By Eric Zimmermann - 07/12/10 12:17 PM ET
Massachusetts Republican says bill isn't perfect, but he expects to support it when it comes to the floor.

Sen. Scott Brown (R-Mass.) announced Monday he will vote for Wall Street reform when it comes up for a final vote, all but assuring Democrats the 60 votes they need to pass the legislation.

Brown voted for the bill when it first came up for a vote, but had opposed a provision in the conference report that would have imposed $19 billion in taxes on financial firms to pay for the bill.

That provision was taken out of the bill by Democrats to secure Brown's support, but the Massachusetts Republican hadn't said for sure whether it would be enough.

“I appreciate the efforts to improve the bill, especially the removal of the $19 billion bank tax. As a result, it is a better bill than it was when this whole process started,” Brown said in a statement on Monday. “While it isn’t perfect, I expect to support the bill when it comes up for a vote.”

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/108175-brown-to-vote-for-wall-st-reform-dems-reach-60-votes

CoreyBowen999
07-12-2010, 10:59 AM
God damnit.

Jordan
07-12-2010, 11:01 AM
LOL @ Scott Brown.

jmdrake
07-12-2010, 11:10 AM
What was accomplished by Scott Brown's election again? Oh yeah. He stopped Obamacare. Except Obamacare got passed anyway. I was and still am happy to see that them dems lost Ted Kennedy's seat, but some of the "Scott Brown cheerleading" being done by some on this forum reached almost Lebron James levels. Let this be a lesson for November. This isn't just about getting as many "R's" elected as possible.

someperson
07-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Let this be a lesson for November. This isn't just about getting as many "R's" elected as possible.
+1. Don't vote for labels. Vote for ideas.

Deborah K
07-12-2010, 11:14 AM
His constituents should be all over him like white on rice. I know I would be.

angelatc
07-12-2010, 11:14 AM
I'll bet his Facebook page is exploding.

ETA: Apparently the Brown people have taken away my right to post snotty, disapproving comments on his page. :)

bobbyw24
07-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Brown voted for the bill when it first came up for a vote, but had opposed a provision in the conference report that would have imposed $19 billion in taxes on financial firms to pay for the bill.

Thank God he hooked the banks up to avoid taxes.

Sentient Void
07-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Fuck Scott Brown. Fuck him in his stupid ass.

I did vote for him and got many others on the fence in MA to vote for him (in a VERY liberal district, no less... which he ended up winning in) - but for the SOLE reason to try and stop the healthcare plan dead in it's tracks and send a message to Washington.

He is an EPIC FAILURE, and as noted - the health care POS bill got passed anyways.

Taught me a damned good and needed lesson.

freshjiva
07-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Brown also voted against the Fed Audit bill (Senate version that Vitter revived).
He means absolutely nothing to the Liberty movement.

That's two strikes for you, Mr. Brown.

Sentient Void
07-12-2010, 11:53 AM
don't forget - he also endorsed and introduced Elena Kagan!

STRIKE 3! YOU'RRREEEEE OUT!!!!!

Anti Federalist
07-12-2010, 11:56 AM
don't forget - he also endorsed and introduced Elena Kagan!

STRIKE 3! YOU'RRREEEEE OUT!!!!!

He'll be sure to vote for her confirmation as well.

:mad:

BetaMale
07-12-2010, 12:36 PM
I am amazed that people are surprised at Scott Brown, now that he got into office. We all knew he was a RINO, but people get so wrapped up into their stupid party affiliations that they think nothing could possibly go wrong once their guy gets into office.

I hope voters remember this, but history shows that voter's memories are very near sighted.

South Park Fan
07-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Would Joe Kennedy be willing to primary him in 2012?

Petar
07-12-2010, 01:02 PM
I'm still happy that Scott Brown won.

If his opponent had won, then there would not be any righteous indignation when she behaved like a "progressive", because that would have basically been her platform to begin with.

At least now we have a bunch of pissed off people who feel betrayed by a supposed reformer.

Very useful political capitol, IMO.

Similar to the Obama effect I believe.

Sentient Void
07-12-2010, 01:07 PM
I'm still happy that Scott Brown won.

If his opponent had won, then there would not be any righteous indignation when she behaved like a "progressive", because that would have basically been her platform to begin with.

At least now we have a bunch of pissed off people who feel betrayed by a supposed reformer.

Very useful political capitol, IMO.

Similar to the Obama effect I believe.

To that extent, I agree. It's still good Brown won over Coakley - for exactly the reasons you mentioned.

And it shows that republicans and anti-establishment candidates CAN win in very liberal states/districts/etc. The idea from now on is to just watch out for neocons and RINOs as wolves in sheep clothing.

Would I go back in time and vote for Scott Brown again, knowing what I know now? Yes - but I myself and would encourage everyone else to hold his feet to the fire a lot more during his campaign.