PDA

View Full Version : Why is the RLC Controversial?

JS4Pat
07-12-2010, 09:37 AM
Why is the RLC Controversial?

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
– George Orwell-

A people that values its privileges above its principles soon looses both.
– Dwight D. Eisenhower-

As Chairman of the Republican Liberty Caucus of Northeast Florida I often hear our organization characterized as “disruptive”, “divisive”, “contentious”, and “controversial” by other Republicans. Such descriptions seem out of character for me and most of the individual members of the RLC. So what gives? Why is the Republican Liberty Caucus such a lightning rod for controversy within the Republican Party?

In dealing with the GOP in my capacity as an RLC member over the past few years I have come to the conclusion that the contention boils down to the impact that Truth & Accountability seem to have in today’s political climate. The political class of this country has been so permeated with the influence of money, power and self-interest that they almost live in an alternate universe. A universe where public servants believe they are to be served and representatives “of the people” feel entitled to control the people. The notion of listening to alternative viewpoints or taking a critical look within to assess the validity and integrity of their positions is a foreign concept.

Read More Here (http://www.rlcnef.org/why-is-the-rlc-controversial/)

Matt Collins
07-12-2010, 09:50 AM
Pretty much true. I can vouch for this myself.

aclove
07-12-2010, 10:06 AM
I think the answer to this question is pretty self-evident. No one likes a person or organization that points out his hypocrisy, dishonesty, and intellectual bankruptcy.

That doesn't, of course, mean the RLC should stop doing those things.

rancher89
07-12-2010, 10:08 AM
I think the answer to this question is pretty self-evident. No one likes a person or organization that points out his hypocrisy, dishonesty, and intellectual bankruptcy.

That doesn't, of course, mean the RLC should stop doing those things.

^^^^qft

erowe1
07-12-2010, 10:11 AM
As Chairman of the Republican Liberty Caucus of Northeast Florida I often hear our organization characterized as “disruptive”, “divisive”, “contentious”, and “controversial” by other Republicans. Such descriptions seem out of character for me and most of the individual members of the RLC. So what gives? Why is the Republican Liberty Caucus such a lightning rod for controversy within the Republican Party?

I didn't read the article. But here's the reason. The RLC is trying to change the GOP. In the eyes of the leaders who owe their clout to the GOP being what it is, that's disruption. If you attend a state convention as delegates and support candidates for any political office or party position at all, or pursue changes in the party platform or the adoption of any resolution, and you do nothing outside of the rules in pursuing your agenda, following Robert's Rules to a tee, and exercising the level of influence your party's rules ostensibly give you as voting delegates, if those delegates, then no matter how nondisruptive you are, if those things you try to accomplish are not the things the party leaders want, then in their eyes you're being disruptive.

stu2002
07-12-2010, 10:28 AM
has in essence killed the Campaign for Liberty--the organization started by that Ron Paul guy.

The Duval County Coordinator, Erik S., spends all his time on RLC activities and totally ignores the C4L. He should resign as county coordinator and allow a person who will promote the C4L to take his place. It's sad that one of Florida's biggest counties has a lame local C4L chapter thanks to the RLC which is full of egotistical big heads.

JS4Pat
07-12-2010, 11:01 AM
In Duval County, Fla, the RLC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

has in essence killed the Campaign for Liberty--the organization started by that Ron Paul guy.

The Duval County Coordinator, Erik S., spends all his time on RLC activities and totally ignores the C4L. He should resign as county coordinator and allow a person who will promote the C4L to take his place. It's sad that one of Florida's biggest counties has a lame local C4L chapter thanks to the RLC which is full of egotistical big heads.

THE LIBERTY MOVEMENT: UNITE or DIE (http://www.rlcnef.org/the-liberty-movement-unite-or-die-2/)

bobbyw24
07-12-2010, 11:09 AM
THE LIBERTY MOVEMENT: UNITE or DIE (http://www.rlcnef.org/the-liberty-movement-unite-or-die-2/)

You are right, John.

In fact, I have talked to Erik and he and I agree that the organizations should work together and that the more groups working for liberty, the better off we will be.

Soft Spoken Storm
07-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Stu...

I do not "ignore" the C4L. Perhaps it would help you to learn the history of the C4L in Duval County?

The local C4L was set up by people who were in the Ron Paul campaign and didn't agree with the idea of working in the Republican Party. That group in fact tried to prevent some very good people who happened to be RLC members from helping them. They met once or twice a month for breakfast and talked, but never particularly did anything except insult other groups who *were* doing things. I stepped in to create a peace between the RLC and C4L, which would make sense as the state coordinator (Mark Cross) is a high-ranking member of both as well. I was able to create an alliance, but that wasn't good for the person who had been trying to run the local C4L. He continued doing actions that were harmful to both the RLC and C4L out of spite, which saw him removed. In his place, Ryan Adams and I were installed as co-county coordinators, with the idea we would also have a third CC, because Duval is so large and most people are involved in multiple groups (which typically work together).

Ryan and I tried to get something going. We worked hard at it. Ryan especially put a lot of effort in, and money as well. None of the people who were signed up as C4L members were doing much to help. The state c4L leadership was often unavailable when we asked for help, which added to the frustration. Ryan was trying hard to make something of the C4L in Duval County and I was working in a supporting role. Unfortunately, between state "leadership" getting in the way (and being seriously chummy with Jim Greer) and the apathy of the C4L membership in the county, it was impossible to get anything going. Hardly anyone stepped up to help, and no one was interested in becoming the 3rd county coordinator.

After the C4L endorsed a questionable candidate, Ryan'd had his fill of dealing with it and dropped his C4L membership entirely, no longer believing in the C4L. Now, mind you, Ryan was never an RLC guy.

So you have this situation: A lot of C4L members who don't want to help; a county coordinator who was turned off by the C4L and its leadership; and leaving one person to try to make something out of literally nothing. In the meantime, you have Tea Party groups popping up that actually are involved in activism and are the hot thing, which pulls most of the people who could have been attracted to the C4L, and even that former "leader" trying to create a competing group.

The RLC didn't kill the C4L in Duval County. Campaign For Liberty and its leadership killed the C4L in Duval County. I wish it was different. If you're in Duval County, then I would welcome you stepping up and becoming a county coordinator as well, and I'd appreciate your help in getting it jump-started here again.

Soft Spoken Storm
07-12-2010, 11:45 AM
In fact, I am EXTREMELY pissed off and annoyed to see that the URL that used to go to the Duval C4L Meetup group has been redirected to the above referenced former "leader's" new group website.

That man is seriously getting on my nerves...