PDA

View Full Version : After much research, if I were to expatriate, it would be to Costa Rica. Not now...

JP2010
07-12-2010, 08:39 AM
http://rawstory.com/rs/2010/0711/anger-costa-rica-deal-invite-us-warships/

Opposition leaders in Costa Rica are up in arms over an agreement between the country and the United States that reportedly allows 46 US warships and 7,000 US Marines to enter the country as part of an anti-drug effort.

According to several Costa Rican news sources, the government there signed an agreement with the US last week to extend an 11-year-old cooperative program aimed at eradicating the maritime drug trade.

But opponents say this year's deal differs from previous ones in that it allows US warships to enter the country. Previously, opponents say, only US Coast Guard vessels were allowed to enter Costa Rican territory. The new agreement expires on December 31 of this year.

A committee of the People's Movement political party said the deal turns Costa Rica into a "US protectorate" and brings the country into "a new phase of military occupation," according to the Costa Rican newspaper El Pais.

Fredom101
07-12-2010, 09:41 AM
http://rawstory.com/rs/2010/0711/anger-costa-rica-deal-invite-us-warships/

Opposition leaders in Costa Rica are up in arms over an agreement between the country and the United States that reportedly allows 46 US warships and 7,000 US Marines to enter the country as part of an anti-drug effort.

According to several Costa Rican news sources, the government there signed an agreement with the US last week to extend an 11-year-old cooperative program aimed at eradicating the maritime drug trade.

But opponents say this year's deal differs from previous ones in that it allows US warships to enter the country. Previously, opponents say, only US Coast Guard vessels were allowed to enter Costa Rican territory. The new agreement expires on December 31 of this year.

A committee of the People's Movement political party said the deal turns Costa Rica into a "US protectorate" and brings the country into "a new phase of military occupation," according to the Costa Rican newspaper El Pais.

I was in Costa Rica this year. It's not a great place to live. Nationalism runs rampant there too. One of their saving graces is the lack of military and generally not wanting the US troops on the land. But it's the same story with everything else- national healthcare, "free" schools, collectivism everywhere.

puppetmaster
07-12-2010, 10:38 AM
I have a cool list of countries to live(work)...many years of research in travel. sorry can't divulge locations, but Costa Rica is not on the preferred list overall, I have dual citizenship, so I may have more opportunities than most.

NewFederalist
07-12-2010, 11:38 AM
Are Zimbabwe, People's Republic of Korea or Somalia on the list? You can tell us at least that much!

fedup100
07-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Not a good choice. Go here and read the best places to go Americans and why.

http://www.panamalaw.org/

Anti Federalist
07-12-2010, 12:16 PM
According to the 2006 State of World Liberty ranking, the go-to nation is...Estonia.

http://www.stateofworldliberty.org/report/rankings.html

Of course that was before the economic crash of 2008. Real GDP shrunk by 34 percent in 2009.

Like so many other small, resource poor nations, they have been bounced around like a football over the centuries, coming under control of various pooh-bahs, potentates prime ministers and protectoratees.

BetaMale
07-12-2010, 12:24 PM
According to the 2006 State of World Liberty ranking, the go-to nation is...Estonia.

Yeah, but you can't surf in Estonia. Its so much cooler to say you are going to expatriate to a place that you can surf at.

Baptist
07-12-2010, 12:24 PM
New Zealand is at the top of our list. Some rural village somewhere away from the cities.

BetaMale
07-12-2010, 12:26 PM
New Zealand is at the top of our list. Some rural village somewhere away from the cities.

Good luck getting citizenship. They are very strict on immigration and if they don't want you there, they'll just pack you on a boat and send you away.

Anti Federalist
07-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Good luck getting citizenship. They are very strict on immigration and if they don't want you there, they'll just pack you on a boat and send you away.

I made that point in another thread.

You've got a better chance of seeing God than getting a Kiwi Passport.

They are very strict and very limited about how many people they will allow into the country.

Anti Federalist
07-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Yeah, but you can't surf in Estonia. Its so much cooler to say you are going to expatriate to a place that you can surf at.

Why couldn't you surf?

It's got ocean frontage, lots of it. ;)

Danke
07-12-2010, 12:35 PM
North Dakota.

NewFederalist
07-12-2010, 01:01 PM
Perhaps opening a nice Kosher delicatessen in Mecca might be a good move. Warm climate with plenty of visitors annually. How can it miss?

JP2010
07-12-2010, 02:13 PM
I was in Costa Rica this year. It's not a great place to live. Nationalism runs rampant there too. One of their saving graces is the lack of military and generally not wanting the US troops on the land. But it's the same story with everything else- national healthcare, "free" schools, collectivism everywhere.

So, just like here, minus the huge taxes to support the military industrial complex.

Sounds like a step up.

RM918
07-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Perhaps opening a nice Kosher delicatessen in Mecca might be a good move. Warm climate with plenty of visitors annually. How can it miss?

Business will be booming.

Elwar
07-12-2010, 02:51 PM

They are very strict and very limited about how many people they will allow into the country.

From the looks of things, you just have to be a resident there for 5 years to get citizenship....

Baptist
07-12-2010, 08:13 PM

Yes, Yes they are. Thankfully, our educations will pay off. There is only one country (that we would want to live in) on the entire planet we would have to fight to get into. The government of New Zealand's immigration site has had her occupation listed as an occupation in "critical shortage" for the past three years that I've been looking abroad.

We are not fans of college education at all. However, our educations will allow us to live anywhere we want to.

[edit] just looked and both of our occupations are needed over there.
http://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/skills-needed-in-new-zealand~18.html

james1906
07-12-2010, 08:18 PM

http://www.stateofworldliberty.org/report/rankings.html

Of course that was before the economic crash of 2008. Real GDP shrunk by 34 percent in 2009.

Like so many other small, resource poor nations, they have been bounced around like a football over the centuries, coming under control of various pooh-bahs, potentates prime ministers and protectoratees.

They're also now a minor province of the EU.

Baptist
07-12-2010, 08:27 PM
They're also now a minor province of the EU.

yeah, if it wasn't for the EU we would consider Switzerland. However, since it obvious that in a few decades all those countries will pretty much be totally under one government, we are not going there. Which sucks, because Switzerland and Norway are appealing to me.

TruckinMike
07-12-2010, 09:15 PM

Your business will be on Fire!

TMike

Anti Federalist
07-12-2010, 09:15 PM
yeah, if it wasn't for the EU we would consider Switzerland. However, since it obvious that in a few decades all those countries will pretty much be totally under one government, we are not going there. Which sucks, because Switzerland and Norway are appealing to me.

I spent a summer in Switzerland as a teenager and still recall it fondly. Been back a few times since then.

That would be my first choice as well.

Unfortunately just as difficult to get into as New Zealand, perhaps more so/

Ricky201
07-13-2010, 01:57 AM
I spent a summer in Switzerland as a teenager and still recall it fondly. Been back a few times since then.

That would be my first choice as well.

Unfortunately just as difficult to get into as New Zealand, perhaps more so/

You have to be a resident their for 10 years and then your community (which I'm sorry I can elaborate on what defines "your community" it Switzerland) will vote on your request for citizenship. Think that's bad? Liechtenstein, my other favorite European country, takes about 30 years.

Anti Federalist
07-13-2010, 10:02 AM
You have to be a resident their for 10 years and then your community (which I'm sorry I can elaborate on what defines "your community" it Switzerland) will vote on your request for citizenship. Think that's bad? Liechtenstein, my other favorite European country, takes about 30 years.

Yeah, and they have a higher standard of living then we do.

But we should just open our borders wide, to whomever wants to show up.

Suicide, on a national level.

puppetmaster
07-13-2010, 10:44 AM
I am interested in Croatia for one

NewFederalist
07-13-2010, 02:22 PM
If the expatriate movement gets large enough the best idea would be to overwhelm Canada. Just think of what a bunch of Ronulans could do for the place! There is probably more of us than there are Canadians. They would be pissed off at first but would thank us for it later. When they see the benefits of a free market and begin to harvest their vast natural resources, the sky is the limit! (Just for "wintering over" we might have to colonize Jamaica as well. Lord knows they could use free market help, too!)

Promontorium
07-13-2010, 03:06 PM
Port visits aren't occupation. The US Navy does port visits to more countries than I can list. But here are a few nations that are apparantly US protectorates.
Peru
Brazil
Chile
Mexico
China
Hong Kong
South Korea
Russia
Viet fucking nam
Indonesia
Australia
UAE
Bahrain
India
Spain
Portugal
France
UK
Italy
Greece
and on and on all around the world.

Apparantly Earth is a US protectorate. Well, since many of the nations I listed have port visits to the US, I guess we're simultaneously a protectorate of them too. Because of course sailors drinking in bars, sleeping in hotels, and banging whores for a few days = military coup.

kahless
07-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Check the IRS and state rules. The US has tax treaties with other nations so it is no as simple as just renouncing your citizenship and hoping the US does not give you problems. In some cases you will be obligated to the the IRS for 10 years and then you have whatever your state government obligations are.

libertybrewcity
07-13-2010, 03:44 PM
http://www.expatify.com/advice/10-best-places-to-live-for-escaping-world-conflict.html

check out this site. it lists 9 countries that might be be better than Costa Rica.

kahless
07-13-2010, 04:29 PM
http://www.expatify.com/advice/10-best-places-to-live-for-escaping-world-conflict.html

check out this site. it lists 9 countries that might be be better than Costa Rica.

I like reading these lists until I realize that permanent migration is typically reserved for the wealthy.