PDA

View Full Version : Rand and Jack Conway on the Federal Drug War

sailingaway
07-11-2010, 09:07 AM
http://videos.wittysparks.com/id/54626825

This was Rand in front of a group of Democrat judges and magistrates who get their positions through the machine, who are used to cronyism oiling the wheels of the machine. Many are good people, obviously, but the tension on 'what would happen to MY pet program' if the budget were cut, and if local solutions were created makes them a tough audience for Rand's message. UNITE is an enforcment/treatment program about 2/3 funded by federal funds, as I've read elsewhere.

Rand says he thinks there should be local solutions abd that money should be left in KY to pay for them.

The Dems are circulating this thinking it hurts Rand. With those who don't understand the futility and counter productiveness of the domestic federal drug war (I'm excepting out border stuff), it may. But if you didn't see the whole forum, you may want to see this.

Just FYI, there wasn't a porkbarrel project Jack Conway DIDN'T want to keep in that forum and he proposed 'investing' [spending] in a whole bunch more as well. Yet he started the forum 'agreeing with Dr. Paul that we need to cut spending'. Someone should ask him WHERE.

BamaFanNKy
07-11-2010, 09:44 AM
Hmmmm. I think this is a dumb move by dems. GOP are going to vote Rand and this makes him more rational to Democrats.

specsaregood
07-11-2010, 09:57 AM
Hmmmm. I think this is a dumb move by dems. GOP are going to vote Rand and this makes him more rational to Democrats.

Does it? Where are democrats for deciding things at the state level?

I did find it interesting that Conway claimed his own family had been affected by the prescription drug problem....did he throw them in jail like so many other people with drug problems are?

brandon
07-11-2010, 10:44 AM
what is operation unite or whatever the fuck they are referring to?

RonPaulFanInGA
07-11-2010, 10:48 AM
what is operation unite or whatever the fuck they are referring to?

An anti-prescription drug abuse program in eastern Kentucky, funded mostly by Rep. Hal Rogers' earmarks.

TheDriver
07-11-2010, 11:05 AM
Conway’s campaign paints UNITE as a drug aversion program, but goes on to tout the arrests they made. Here’s part of the release:

The successful substance abuse aversion program started by Congressman Hal Rogers (R-KY) in 2003 works with local officials in 29 Eastern Kentucky counties to reduce the occurrence of substance abuse and lessen the negative impact of drugs on individual communities.

In less than a decade of existence, UNITE has resulted in 3,434 arrests, $9 million worth of illegal drugs seized,

UNITE’s website even pairs the federally funded program with a “Keep it Clean” program. That’s right drug aversion and keep it clean. Never mind that Conway’s own press release confirms Operation UNITE has broken up over 3,000 Kentucky families in the last decade. That’s not important because UNITE and Conway seized an “estimated” $9 million worth of illegal drugs. And never mind $9 million worth of more drugs soon took the their place.

http://capitalistbanner.com/2010/07/10/jack-conway-getting-tough-on-the-war-on-drugs/

specsaregood
07-11-2010, 11:51 AM
I did find it interesting that Conway claimed his own family had been affected by the prescription drug problem....did he throw them in jail like so many other people with drug problems are?

The more I think about this^ the more I want to know.
Now usually I would say it is personal/none of our business, let the family deal with it BUT if C0nway is going to use his family issues as the basis of his platform at the national level, then it is HE that is making it public.

Questions I would like to see answered:
1. How was your family affected by the drug problem?
2. Did anybody face prison time for the drug problem?
--If no, then did they get special treatment because of your role as AG?
3. Do you think prison would have been helped remedy the drug issue in your family?
4. Were any other KY residents given prison time or had the property stolen by the state for the same "problem"? esp. while you were Attorney General?

He opened this door for questioning, let's see how he really feels about it, when it affects him personally.

TheDriver
07-11-2010, 12:43 PM
The more I think about this^ the more I want to know.
Now usually I would say it is personal/none of our business, let the family deal with it BUT if C0nway is going to use his family issues as the basis of his platform at the national level, then it is HE that is making it public.

Questions I would like to see answered:
1. How was your family affected by the drug problem?
2. Did anybody face prison time for the drug problem?
--If no, then did they get special treatment because of your role as AG?
3. Do you think prison would have been helped remedy the drug issue in your family?
4. Were any other KY residents given prison time or had the property stolen by the state for the same "problem"? esp. while you were Attorney General?

He opened this door for questioning, let's see how he really feels about it, when it affects him personally.

I'm sure that we will have a fair and balanced media pundit or blogger all over this.... :rolleyes:

Good questions.

BamaFanNKy
07-11-2010, 03:16 PM
We need the Capitalist Banner on this. Granted, I think that is an illuminati style out of the spotlight type of blog. :D