PDA

View Full Version : Actual privatization or "special favor" privatization in New Jersey?

libertybrewcity
07-10-2010, 07:44 PM
http://www.northjersey.com/news/politics/070910_Christie_looks_to_privatize_motor_vehicle_i nspections.html

I guess Christie, who has been quite the conservative in New Jersey, is saying he wants to privatize a lot of the public car check in Jersey. It would save the state around 200 or so million dollars per year.

Now privatization is great, the more the better, but anyone know if he is just giving his buddies or campaign contributers a special favor, or if this is legit?

cindy25
07-10-2010, 07:48 PM
why not just end vehicle inspections altogether?

Annihilia
07-10-2010, 07:53 PM
I don't think I've had a legitimate NJ inspection in a while so my info may not be quite accurate (my car is registered in NJ but I live out of state).. I'm pretty sure that most private garages/shops with a dyno can currently perform inspections.

By closing down the state-run facilities, you'll just have to get your emissions inspections done at these places. I don't think it's a sweetheart deal for any particular company.

specsaregood
07-10-2010, 08:17 PM
By closing down the state-run facilities, you'll just have to get your emissions inspections done at these places. I don't think it's a sweetheart deal for any particular company.

Well it doesn't have to be; but the last time they decided to try it, that is exactly what they did. :)

Former Gov. Christine Whitman, a Republican, experimented with privatization. Under her, the state adopted a $300 million plan to privatize auto emissions testing. But the computerized tests, offered by a single-bid contractor with political ties, caused massive lines and delays at testing sites.

Of course the democrats are using that as an example of why we can't do it, ignoring the fact that granting a govt issued monopoly on the service isn't a great example of what would be possible.

The Patriot
07-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Who knows, he could be giving his buddies a kick back, but he seems to be fighting corruption(particularly among public sector unions and state officials). so it wouldn't be like him. But either way, even if it is a kick back for his buddies, that is 200 million dollars less taken out of the pockets of the New Jersey taxpayers. I am liking this guy more and more everyday. People around here are talking about a Gary Johnson 2016 run, I think this guy, with a full term and solid record under his belt, would be a great presidential candidate. He also has more popularity among the republican electorate than Johnson and has a much stronger delivery and more charisma in arguing with his opponents than Johnson does.

t0rnado
07-10-2010, 09:30 PM
Who knows, he could be giving his buddies a kick back, but he seems to be fighting corruption(particularly among public sector unions and state officials). so it wouldn't be like him. But either way, even if it is a kick back for his buddies, that is 200 million dollars less taken out of the pockets of the New Jersey taxpayers. I am liking this guy more and more everyday. People around here are talking about a Gary Johnson 2016 run, I think this guy, with a full term and solid record under his belt, would be a great presidential candidate. He also has more popularity among the republican electorate than Johnson and has a much stronger delivery and more charisma in arguing with his opponents than Johnson does.

Chris Christie is a fascist.

http://thinkprogress.org/2009/04/23/christie-approved-cellphonemonitoring/

He's been attempting to delay the opening of medical marijuana dispensaries, he supports NJ's restrictive gun laws, and has given multimillion dollar contracts to his buddies when he was a US attorney.

specsaregood
07-10-2010, 09:34 PM
Chris Christie is a fascist.

He is a fiscal conservative. I disagree with him on a lot (esp. civil liberties), but he is right on when it comes to decreasing spending.

t0rnado
07-10-2010, 10:15 PM
He is a fiscal conservative. I disagree with him on a lot (esp. civil liberties), but he is right on when it comes to decreasing spending.

So was Augusto Pinochet:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augusto_Pinochet

cindy25
07-10-2010, 10:21 PM
decreasing spending would be ending the inspections; from what I see he is just imposing another cost on motorists by forcing them to have private inspections.

isn't this the same as Obama care forcing people to buy health insurance