PDA

View Full Version : Beginning Tuesday, it will cost $450 to renounce US citizenship

MRK
07-10-2010, 04:09 PM
(CNN) (http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/07/07/passport.fees.hike/index.html?iref=allsearch&fbid=83QBughk8Ie) -- Get ready to open your wallet a little wider to satisfy your travel bug: It is soon going to cost more to apply for a new U.S. passport or renew an old one -- a move criticized by the public and some lawmakers.

Starting next Tuesday, adults applying for their first passport book will have to pay $135 -- a 35 percent increase from the current $100 fee.

(The cost of the wallet-size passport card, which Americans can use on certain trips closer to home, is rising from $45 to $55 for first-time applicants.)

Want to add more visa pages to your passport book? It's free now, but you will have to shell out $82 under the new fee schedule.

The renewal fee for passport books will rise to $110 -- up from the current $75.

There's even a new fee if you'd like formally to renounce your U.S. citizenship -- it costs nothing now, but the price tag will be $450 starting Tuesday.

Fees for passport book and cards for children also are set to rise. (See chart for fee increases.)

Officials recommended the hikes after a study found the current fee structure wasn't covering the government's costs for the services, the State Department said in the proposal outlined in the Federal Register.

The agency received 1,797 comments about the proposal during the public comment period this spring, with about 70 percent of the messages expressing concern about the increase in the fees.

The commenters included AAA, which suggested delaying the hikes until the country showed more signs of an economic recovery, according to the Federal Register.

United Airlines also chimed in, submitting a joint comment with the U.S. Travel Association expressing concern that the fee changes may deter international travel by U.S. citizens.

But the State Department insists the hike is not significant compared to the overall costs of international travel.

In addition, all of the increased security and the anti-fraud measures added to passports in recent years come at a cost, said Brenda Sprague, deputy assistant secretary for passport services, during a March news briefing addressing concerns about the hike.

"New technologies for use in our U.S. passport books and cards must be an ongoing priority if we are to keep one step ahead of the resourceful and technologically savvy criminals, terrorist groups and subversive elements bent on doing our nation harm," Sprague said.

"The cost of the passport book [also] includes the cost of maintaining our presence overseas to assist American citizens," she added.

A 'burden' for travelers?

But two lawmakers from New York -- a state where cross-border travel with Canada is an important part of the economy -- expressed concern over the changes as soon as the proposal was announced.

U.S. Rep. Chris Lee, R-New York, sent a letter to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in February asking her to scrap the plan.

"These fee increases could not come at a worse time," Lee wrote, citing regulations put in place last year that require Americans to show passports when returning to the U.S. from Canada and which Lee said have "exacted a heavy toll on trade and tourism at U.S.-Canada border regions."

The fee increase would only "further burden American travelers," Lee wrote.

U.S. Rep. Brian Higgins, D-New York, agreed.

"We need to literally and figuratively build bridges that encourage cross border tourism, commerce and economic opportunity and this move would do just the opposite," Higgins said in a statement.

The State Department is concerned about any impact on travel the fees might have, Sprague said.

"Nevertheless, we have to cover our costs," she added.

qh4dotcom
07-10-2010, 04:24 PM
$450 is nothing compared to the 10 years of extra income taxes someone is supposed to pay after he/she renounces.

jkr
07-10-2010, 05:47 PM
$450 is nothing compared to the 10 years of extra income taxes you're supposed to pay after you renounce.

i renouce me self d e a d

thehunter
07-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Does anyone know details here -- I'm really, REALLY curious how they would stop someone from immigrating to Britain, obtaining citizenship there and working at a UK company for the entire ten year period? Does the IRS or any other branch of the US government have jurisdiction (or means, for that matter!) to collect the renouncement fees or extra income taxes?

qh4dotcom
07-10-2010, 06:20 PM
Does anyone know details here -- I'm really, REALLY curious how they would stop someone from immigrating to Britain, obtaining citizenship there and working at a UK company for the entire ten year period? Does the IRS or any other branch of the US government have jurisdiction (or means, for that matter!) to collect the renouncement fees or extra income taxes?

My guess is that for a renouncement to be "official" someone needs to cough up the $450. If someone just moves abroad, gets another citizenship etc. without going through the "official" process, that someone is still liable for the income taxes as a US citizen...how that will be collected is anyone's guess...and the 10 year time period probably doesn't start until that someone coughs up the $450.

Dr.3D
07-10-2010, 06:21 PM
$450 is nothing compared to the 10 years of extra income taxes you're supposed to pay after you renounce.

Seems like they should be giving a rebate on those taxes. Some of those taxes paid in years past must have been used for future programs you wouldn't be participating in. You should also get a rebate on all of the taxes you paid into social security.

qh4dotcom
07-10-2010, 06:22 PM
Seems like they should be giving a rebate on those taxes. Some of those taxes paid in years past must have been used for future programs you wouldn't be participating in. You should also get a rebate on all of the taxes you paid into social security.

It sounds too good to be true that the government would do something like that.

MRK
07-10-2010, 06:38 PM
Aside from fulfilling one's "patriotic" or 'ex-patriotic' duty, the only reason I could imagine for paying the fee or the 10-year taxes would be so that one can remain in good standing with the United States government should one decide to apply for a visa to step foot in the United States after renouncing citizenship.

Danke
07-10-2010, 06:45 PM
Your status does not create an income tax liability.

It is the activity in which you are involved.

thehunter
07-10-2010, 09:04 PM
My guess is that for a renouncement to be "official" someone needs to cough up the $450. If someone just moves abroad, gets another citizenship etc. without going through the "official" process, that someone is still liable for the income taxes as a US citizen...how that will be collected is anyone's guess...and the 10 year time period probably doesn't start until that someone coughs up the $450.

That seems pretty draconian if you ask me. I know a girl who went from Canada to Japan for the year in 2009 and was able to chose the taxes she would pay (Jpn or Can) -- I'm surprised that an American couldn't make the same choice! Thanks for the info though qh4!

pacelli
07-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Really glad I declared denizenship before being forced to use a debt instrument to do it.

JeNNiF00F00
07-10-2010, 09:09 PM

MyLibertyStuff
07-10-2010, 09:54 PM
$450 is nothing compared to the 10 years of extra income taxes someone is supposed to pay after he/she renounces.

source? ive heard this before, but never seen a source

cindy25
07-10-2010, 10:17 PM
I think the greater tragedy is having to have a passport to visit Canada/Mexico.

someday the sheeple will realize this

JeNNiF00F00
07-10-2010, 10:19 PM

JeNNiF00F00
07-10-2010, 10:20 PM
>:)

qh4dotcom
07-10-2010, 10:24 PM
source? ive heard this before, but never seen a source

When in doubt ask Google

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=expatriate+10+years+income+taxes

http://www.forbes.com/2010/03/23/expatriation-exit-tax-limbaugh-obamacare-personal-finance-robert-wood_2.html

kahless
07-10-2010, 10:34 PM
Seems cost prohibitive with the long arm - term requirements of the IRS, tax treaties we have with everyone, long term state tax requirements after relocation and the years of renouncing citizenship taxes. They own us and there is no getting away since every other country has signed agreements that tells them that the US government owns us. Lets face it the United States federal and state governments owns us like slaves or animals.

On top of this most countries are not as easy to get into as the US. You never hear on fucking MSNBC about age restrictions getting into various western nations or Americans restricted from buying property in Mexico. But they can come here and buy property and get everything handed to them like free college tuition, health care, etc. That of course these progressive assholes in government and the media, like on CNN and MSNBC celebrate. I do not hate immigrants since if I was them I would do the same thing and my ancestors where immigrants. I hate that our representives in government for allowing these lopsided polices and outlets like CNN/MSNBC for celebrating us getting fucked over. Meanwhile we cannnot get the same opportunies in countries immigrants our migrating from.

MyLibertyStuff
07-10-2010, 10:39 PM
When in doubt ask Google

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=expatriate+10+years+income+taxes

http://www.forbes.com/2010/03/23/expatriation-exit-tax-limbaugh-obamacare-personal-finance-robert-wood_2.html

Thanks!

RM918
07-11-2010, 06:50 AM
Renouncing your citizenship is apparently the only way to escape the U.S. Tax Net. No other country in the world forces their citizens to pay taxes when they're out of country, to my knowledge.

Zippyjuan
07-11-2010, 11:33 AM
If you wish to renounce your citizenship, you have to be out of the country to do it and visit a US Embasay or consulate to do it. I would guess you have to pay the fee at that time so leaving the country doesn't let you skip the fee.

A couple points from the Government website: http://travel.state.gov/law/citizenship/citizenship_776.html

C. REQUIREMENT - RENOUNCE ALL RIGHTS AND PRIVILEGES

In the case of Colon v. U.S. Department of State , 2 F.Supp.2d 43 (1998), plaintiff was a United States citizen and resident of Puerto Rico, who executed an oath of renunciation before a consular officer at the U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo. The U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia rejected Colon’s petition for a writ of mandamus directing the Secretary of State to approve a Certificate of Loss of Nationality in the case because the plaintiff wanted to retain one of the primary benefits of U.S. citizenship while claiming he was not a U.S. citizen. The Court described the plaintiff as a person, "claiming to renounce all rights and privileges of United States citizenship, [while] Plaintiff wants to continue to exercise one of the fundamental rights of citizenship, namely to travel freely throughout the world and when he wants to, return and reside in the United States." See also Jose Fufi Santori v. United States of America , 1994 U.S. App. LEXIS 16299 (1994) for a similar case.

A person who wants to renounce U.S. citizenship cannot decide to retain some of the privileges of citizenship, as this would be logically inconsistent with the concept of renunciation. Thus, such a person can be said to lack a full understanding of renouncing citizenship and/or lack the necessary intent to renounce citizenship, and the Department of State will not approve a loss of citizenship in such instances.

E. TAX & MILITARY OBLIGATIONS /NO ESCAPE FROM PROSECUTION

Also, persons who wish to renounce U.S. citizenship should also be aware that the fact that a person has renounced U.S. citizenship may have no effect whatsoever on his or her U.S. tax or military service obligations (contact the Internal Revenue Service or U.S. Selective Service for more information). In addition, the act of renouncing U.S. citizenship will not allow persons to avoid possible prosecution for crimes which they may have committed in the United States, or escape the repayment of financial obligations previously incurred in the United States or incurred as United States citizens abroad.

free1
07-11-2010, 12:00 PM
United States can mean the several States, united together.

Or it can mean the United States government.

There are also places where the feds own land, and they call that the United States in a lot of documents.

So you could be standing on their land and you would be "in the United States" meaning a government area, a United States government area.

So you can see that if it's spelled out with the word "government" after it, then it makes it clear. But they want you confused, so they just leave that part out.

So now, what if you are a United States citizen?

United States government citizen?

Subject class, 2nd class citizen, a subject of the United States (government).

And because of that everywhere you go (even in the States) you are in COMMERCE, and are subject to United States government laws (codes), and subject to the commerce clause, which is what they use to DICTATE what you can do with your life.

So, now do you want to quit signing things swearing you are a U.S. citizen?

WHEN WILL YOU STOP?

mediahasyou
07-11-2010, 12:08 PM
the guy at nostate.com recently renounced.

i think a much better option would be to stop paying income taxes once out of the country and move all your money to a place where no one can snatch it. As long as you don't get tangled up with the local authorities, you are safe. i doubt the mafia would chase you around the world.

NYgs23
07-11-2010, 12:15 PM
Can I use this to help disprove the "if you don't love the government, you can always leave" blather?

libertythor
07-11-2010, 12:22 PM
In many countries you renounce your allegiance and US citizenship in front of their authorities when you naturalize. Whether or not the US wants to recognize that is a different story. There is also a list of things you can do to just have it revoked.

Anti Federalist
07-11-2010, 12:31 PM
Won't be too much longer, when you will not be able to renounce.

The state will claim control of your life and demand it's share, regardless of what you say or do or where in the world you may live.

The worldwide financial/industrial/personal control grid that is mostly in place already, will enable enforcement.

You're a "citizen", forever, and Uncle Sucker owns your ass.

Kludge
07-11-2010, 12:35 PM
The Glorious Nation of the Peoples' Republic of Kludgistan allows dual-citizenship and does not recognize the US gov't -- no expropriation.

Matt Collins
07-11-2010, 02:15 PM
I think a formal declaration signed and notarized and sent to the SoS would probably do the trick. Especially if it is combined with a notice that you are now a citizen of another country.

SimpleName
07-11-2010, 03:37 PM
lol! You are still responsibly for income taxes as long as you are an American citizen? Are you serious? That is pure insanity. I wonder if other countries bother to enforce such a thing. What would be the point? The average person obviously could not pay both American and the country's income taxes simultaneously. If it was enforced, I would bet the guy/gal would simply not move and therefore, the other country would never get that new tax revenue. Why turn away somebody who really wants to be part of your society? Unless the person was a criminal, it could only aid the growth of your country.

Then again, the globalists are selfish and illogical, so I bet they would go for it anyway. Oh well. Not like I'd like to live anywhere else anyway.

fedup100
07-11-2010, 04:31 PM

I spoke with a Barrister in London who assists americans wishing to renounce their american citizenship. It was 1995 and I no longer have his contact number but they are easy to find.

You will need to pick a country like England. England is the easiest and a open door for Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

He said you must not give up your american status except for certain reasons or the IRS will haunt you all the days of your life. Unless things have changed drastically, it can be done where you will owe NO IRS taxes, get an English Barrister who does this for a living and do it right.

Sadly only those with means will be able to escape this sinking ship.

RM918
07-11-2010, 04:33 PM
lol! You are still responsibly for income taxes as long as you are an American citizen? Are you serious? That is pure insanity. I wonder if other countries bother to enforce such a thing. What would be the point? The average person obviously could not pay both American and the country's income taxes simultaneously. If it was enforced, I would bet the guy/gal would simply not move and therefore, the other country would never get that new tax revenue. Why turn away somebody who really wants to be part of your society? Unless the person was a criminal, it could only aid the growth of your country.

Then again, the globalists are selfish and illogical, so I bet they would go for it anyway. Oh well. Not like I'd like to live anywhere else anyway.

There's also a stipulation, I might have gotten it wrong, that even AFTER you've finally renounced and escaped the net, if you return to the U.S. for more than one month out of a year they'll start making you pay taxes again.

fedup100
07-11-2010, 04:35 PM
I am seeking marriage with a randy englishman, aussie or canadian that like hot americans, let me know if there are any of you out there.

Should a union ensue, sadly I could only offer you a dual citizenship with the sinking ship known as amerika, hot tail and good southern cooking.:D

p.s. also would not rule out Scottish or Irish. Should you live in Port Issac UK a plus.:o