PDA

View Full Version : Fined $500 for “Obstructing” a Police Bullet

CCTelander
07-10-2010, 12:37 PM
More fun and excitement courtesy of our stalwart "protectors" in blue.

Fined $500 for “Obstructing” a Police Bullet
Posted by William Grigg on July 10, 2010 10:14 AM

Michael Housley of Arnold, Maryland had his hands full dealing with his wife’s health crisis when the police materialized on his doorstep last July 12.

Earlier that day, Housley’s wife Leah had been taken to the hospital for a mental evaluation. When she left without being discharged, a nurse called the police and asked them to do a “safety check” — a request that is rapidly becoming a leading cause of preventable death.

Housley refused to let the police see his wife, and ordered them to leave. This should have ended the matter. It didn’t, of course.

Officer Doyle Holquist tried to “detain” Housley — that is, the uninvited armed stranger criminally assaulted the worried husband and attempted to kidnap him. Housley broke free and ran inside his house, locked the door behind him, and called 911 — perhaps in the desperate hope of casting out Beelzebub by Beelzebub’s power.

When Holquist and his comrades contacted their supervisors, they received conflicting instructions: One of their superiors advised them not to force their way into the home, the second told the officers that they could break down the door. Nobody gets extra credit for correctly guessing which of those instructions the officers chose to follow.

Once the police had demolished the door, Officer Holquist escalated the matter further, adding aggravated assault to criminal trespass by dousing Housley with pepper spray. One of Holquist’s homies, Cpl. Jeffrey Bauer, attempted to subdue Housley, who “bear-hugged” his assailant. Bauer’s response was assault with a deadly weapon, shooting the besieged man twice with his portable electro-shock torture device.

Confronted with three armed, violent intruders who had repeatedly assaulted him Holquist staged a desperate counter-attack by grabbing a wooden chair and swinging it at Bauer, who — recall — had just attacked him with a lethal weapon. Holquist drew his firearm and shot Housley in the neck.

For several days after the shooting, Housley was in critical condition. During that time, Leah Housley, the supposed beneficiary of police intervention, wasn’t permitted to see her husband, whom she correctly described as the “victim” of criminal violence.

On June 3, a jury acquitted Housley of two counts of second-degree “assault on a police officer,” one count of “resisting arrest,” and one count of reckless endangerment. He was found guilty on two counts of “obstructing a police officer” – the first presumably for absorbing Bauer’s Taser strikes, the second for allowing his neck to impede the path of Holquist’s bullet.

In what he probably though was a gesture of quasi-divine clemency, Judge Philip T. Caroom fined Housley $500 and offered to expunge the guilty verdicts after a brief term of probation. To his credit, Housley — who has had several reconstructive surgeries on his jaw and mouth, and will have to endure several more — refused the deal in order to appeal the verdicts.

Assistant State’s Attorney Thomas Mitchell was also dissatisfied with the sentence, insisting that Housley’s actions – like those of any other Mundane seeking to protect his home and family from unwarranted police violence — “rose to the level of criminal conduct.”

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/61297.html

Anti Federalist
07-10-2010, 01:10 PM
Fined $500 for “Obstructing” a Police Bullet

Posted by William Grigg on July 10, 2010 10:14 AM

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/61297.html#more-61297

Michael Housley of Arnold, Maryland had his hands full dealing with his wife’s health crisis when the police materialized on his doorstep last July 12.

Earlier that day, Housley’s wife Leah had been taken to the hospital for a mental evaluation. When she left without being discharged, a nurse called the police and asked them to do a “safety check” — a request that is rapidly becoming a leading cause of preventable death.

Housley refused to let the police see his wife, and ordered them to leave. This should have ended the matter. It didn’t, of course.

Officer Doyle Holquist tried to “detain” Housley — that is, the uninvited armed stranger criminally assaulted the worried husband and attempted to kidnap him. Housley broke free and ran inside his house, locked the door behind him, and called 911 — perhaps in the desperate hope of casting out Beelzebub by Beelzebub’s power.

When Holquist and his comrades contacted their supervisors, they received conflicting instructions: One of their superiors advised them not to force their way into the home, the second told the officers that they could break down the door. Nobody gets extra credit for correctly guessing which of those instructions the officers chose to follow.

Once the police had demolished the door, Officer Holquist escalated the matter further, adding aggravated assault to criminal trespass by dousing Housley with pepper spray. One of Holquist’s homies, Cpl. Jeffrey Bauer, attempted to subdue Housley, who “bear-hugged” his assailant. Bauer’s response was assault with a deadly weapon, shooting the besieged man twice with his portable electro-shock torture device.

Confronted with three armed, violent intruders who had repeatedly assaulted him Holquist staged a desperate counter-attack by grabbing a wooden chair and swinging it at Bauer, who — recall — had just attacked him with a lethal weapon. Holquist drew his firearm and shot Housley in the neck.

For several days after the shooting, Housley was in critical condition. During that time, Leah Housley, the supposed beneficiary of police intervention, wasn’t permitted to see her husband, whom she correctly described as the “victim” of criminal violence.

On June 3, a jury acquitted Housley of two counts of second-degree “assault on a police officer,” one count of “resisting arrest,” and one count of reckless endangerment. He was found guilty on two counts of “obstructing a police officer” – the first presumably for absorbing Bauer’s Taser strikes, the second for allowing his neck to impede the path of Holquist’s bullet.

In what he probably though was a gesture of quasi-divine clemency, Judge Philip T. Caroom fined Housley $500 and offered to expunge the guilty verdicts after a brief term of probation. To his credit, Housley — who has had several reconstructive surgeries on his jaw and mouth, and will have to endure several more — refused the deal in order to appeal the verdicts.

Assistant State’s Attorney Thomas Mitchell was also dissatisfied with the sentence, insisting that Housley’s actions – like those of any other Mundane seeking to protect his home and family from unwarranted police violence — “rose to the level of criminal conduct.”

CCTelander
07-10-2010, 01:13 PM
I just posted this a little while ago here:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=252555

GMTA?

Anti Federalist
07-10-2010, 01:24 PM
I just posted this a little while ago here:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=252555

GMTA?

Exactly. ;)

Glad to see you got this up.

Mods:delete or merge as required.

Anti Federalist
07-10-2010, 01:25 PM
WTF?

Really, WTF?

CCTelander
07-10-2010, 01:28 PM
WTF?

Really, WTF?

Life in the police state. Deal with it, mundane. ;)

CCTelander
07-10-2010, 01:30 PM
Exactly. ;)

Glad to see you got this up.

Mods:delete or merge as required.

Well, for the time being we get twice the coverage! And for the same low price, too!!!

Anti Federalist
07-10-2010, 01:33 PM
Life in the police state. Deal with it, mundane. ;)

I've really got to hand it to Grigg, for using that descriptive word for what we have become.

"Mundanes".

Descriptive, accurate and statement making all at the same time.

CCTelander
07-10-2010, 01:37 PM
I've really got to hand it to Grigg, for using that descriptive word for what we have become.

"Mundanes".

And, motivational too. Shame can be a powerful motivator.

payme_rick
07-10-2010, 01:40 PM
wow... a few years ago I would have said "they were only trying to do their job"... but that was then, this is bullshit

Cowlesy
07-10-2010, 01:46 PM
So basically if they decide they're coming in, they're going to do so, and if you do anything, you're going to get shot.

nice country...

Dr.3D
07-10-2010, 01:55 PM
Seems like the big mistake here was using a chair instead of a shotgun to defend his property.

TC95
07-10-2010, 01:56 PM
nice country...

Well, if you don't like it then go live somewhere else! That's what some people told my husband recently anyway...:rolleyes:

someperson
07-10-2010, 02:00 PM
wow :\

catdd
07-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Well, if you don't like it then go live somewhere else! That's what some people told my husband recently anyway...:rolleyes:

I wonder about the mentality of those kind of people. I just have to pray on my hands and knees that it happens to them.

Expatriate
07-10-2010, 02:32 PM

"Mundanes".

Interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mundane

"In subcultural and fictional uses, a mundane is a person who does not belong to a particular group, according to the members of that group; the implication is that such persons, lacking imagination, are concerned solely with the mundane: the quotidian and ordinary.[1]"

Expatriate
07-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Seems like the big mistake here was using a chair instead of a shotgun to defend his property.

Of course that would have earned him a nice big taxpayer-funded party at his house involving a tactical squad, some armored vehicles and a chopper.

Dr.3D
07-10-2010, 02:43 PM
Of course that would have earned him a nice big taxpayer-funded party at his house involving a tactical squad, some armored vehicles and a chopper.

Yes, and he would have probably ended up dead.

Imagine if everybody decided death was more favorable than the loss of liberty though.

GunnyFreedom
07-10-2010, 03:01 PM
Facebooked. and I have a huge FB audience. My comment on posting was

The American version of "shoot you in your driveway and charge your family for the bullet" ?

This ought to be interesting. :D

Dr.3D
07-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Facebooked. and I have a huge FB audience. My comment on posting was

This ought to be interesting. :D
$500 for a bullet?
They should get less expensive bullets.

CCTelander
07-10-2010, 03:14 PM
$500 for a bullet?
They should get less expensive bullets.

It's that inflation thingy.

Dr.3D
07-10-2010, 03:15 PM
It's that inflation thingy.

LOL, yeah... and the Lone Ranger used silver bullets.

CCTelander
07-10-2010, 03:17 PM
LOL, yeah... and the Lone Ranger used silver bullets.

I hear depleted uranium is pretty expensive. Have cops started using it yet? (Only half joking since the possibility, given the rate of militarization that's gone before, isn't THAT far out there.)

Dr.3D
07-10-2010, 03:19 PM
I hear depleted uranium is pretty expensive. Have cops started using it yet? (Only half joking since the possibility, given the rate of militarization that's gone before, isn't THAT far out there.)

That or perhaps gold is being used. That would probably come out about right for one bullet.

TC95
07-10-2010, 03:52 PM
I wonder about the mentality of those kind of people. I just have to pray on my hands and knees that it happens to them.

Isn't it funny how when we express our displeasure that some people are shredding the Constitution that WE are the ones that are supposed to leave if we don't like it? I wish THEY would leave!

Anti Federalist
07-10-2010, 05:04 PM
(a) mundane is a person who does not belong to a particular group, according to the members of that group; the implication is that such persons, lacking imagination, are concerned solely with the mundane: the quotidian and ordinary.[1]"

Precisely.

To the ruling class, of which most of us are not a part of, we appear as "mundanes".

Our concerns are considered trivial, fantastical or dismissed as paranoid.

Our freedoms are an inconvenience to be gotten around, nullified, watered down or rescinded.

Our very lives, pointless and a burden on the planet's fragile resources, which is why, more and more, the system and it's enforcers, have no compunction about taking them.

Anti Federalist
07-10-2010, 05:09 PM
So basically if they decide they're coming in, they're going to do so, and if you do anything, you're going to get shot.

nice country...

Um, yep, that was about the long and short of it in this case.

And if you survive, you'll go to jail.

:mad::mad::mad:

Who are these people???

CatDD had it right, hope and pray it happens to them.

GunnyFreedom
07-10-2010, 05:30 PM
That or perhaps gold is being used. That would probably come out about right for one bullet.

No, I am sure it is the standard copper and lead. Nothing but the best-average for the boys in blue. Do remember that Uncle Sam pays $5,000 for a toilet seat. A $500 bullet is not that far beyond the imagination. :mad:

libertybrewcity
07-10-2010, 05:41 PM
wow, stupid damn cops. something needs to be done about this insanity.

Dr.3D
07-10-2010, 06:03 PM
wow, stupid damn cops. something needs to be done about this insanity.

Well, just between us mundane, I can't help but blame the jury to a certain extent. Those fellow mundane could have found him not guilty of any wrong doing.

Cowlesy
07-10-2010, 06:07 PM
merged the dup threads

(bump)

specsaregood
07-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Well, just between us mundane, I can't help but blame the jury to a certain extent. Those fellow mundane could have found him not guilty of any wrong doing.

Organizing something for the upcoming "jury nullification day" is looking more and more keen. I need to check the local laws to see if they can legally arrest you for handing out jury nullification info outside the court house.

michaelwise
07-10-2010, 09:47 PM
If that happened to me at that point, I would seek to arm myself to the teeth as secretly as possible, and when I got the chance, I would pull up to the police station like Rambo and open fire on everyone in the place killing as many of those accomplices as possible. Let God sort out the dead.