PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Jon Stewart would be a libertarian if...

Reason
07-10-2010, 12:34 AM
Do you think Jon Stewart would be a libertarian if he was thoroughly educated via intelligent material? mises, hayek etc etc etc?

I wonder because he seems quite intelligent and critical of interventionist foreign policy, violations of civil liberties, etc.

Thoughts?

BenIsForRon
07-10-2010, 12:50 AM
He seems to make jokes about the deficit more and more these days. So he does pay attention to stuff like that. Become a libertarian though? Who cares. As long as he understands the true sources of the economic booms and busts.

low preference guy
07-10-2010, 12:54 AM
no. he is old and smart, so he had a lot of time to think about it. he would be a libertarian right now.

some smart people are statists because statism was inculcated to them from their childhood and it's like a religion to them.

there is only one chance of these people becoming libertarian: Ron Paul becoming President and gently enlightening them through presidential speeches during four years.

RM918
07-10-2010, 01:07 AM
No. He'd lose the show.

someperson
07-10-2010, 01:23 AM
No. He'd lose the show.
This. I suggest separating your view of these media personalities, as human beings, from their "characters" and performances on air. Whether he can learn or already knows is irrelevant. He was hired by his employer to provide a very specific type of entertainment to their audience, in order to secure advertising revenue from companies by promising them a guaranteed level of exposure to specific "demographics." If he deviated, they would likely cancel his show and replace his act with another individual who would walk the company line.

This isn't just Mr. Stewart's reality; it's the same for all of these media personalities, from Chris Matthews to Glenn Beck. Once again, these individuals deserve your apathy... nothing more.

t0rnado
07-10-2010, 01:46 AM
If Comedy Central only wanted statist shows, they'd remove South Park from their network considering that Matt Stone and Trey Parker are registered Libertarians.

If you think Jon Stewart is intelligent and thinks of all of his jokes himself, go watch episodes of his show during the Writer's Guild Strike back in 2007 and 2008.

kkassam
07-10-2010, 04:00 PM
If someone already has pretty settled views by the age of 25, it's very hard for them to change their mind. We've gotta get 'em young.

YumYum
07-10-2010, 04:11 PM
If someone already has pretty settled views by the age of 25, it's very hard for them to change their mind. We've gotta get 'em young.

I know middle aged people who have switched over to Ron Paul.

Jeremy
07-10-2010, 04:13 PM
no

he's a comedian, not a libertarian

dr. hfn
07-10-2010, 04:25 PM
send him some books and a nice letter

tremendoustie
07-10-2010, 05:29 PM
Do you think Jon Stewart would be a libertarian if he was thoroughly educated via intelligent material? mises, hayek etc etc etc?

I wonder because he seems quite intelligent and critical of interventionist foreign policy, violations of civil liberties, etc.

Thoughts?

Yes, and I wouldn't say that about many media personalities. He seems to be a mostly honest thinker with a low B.S. tolerance. I really think that a nice long, substantive conversation with Tom Woods could flip him. He already respects libertarians more than most republocrats.

mport1
07-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Stewart seems like a smart guy so I think if he was educated on the NAP and how government causes many of the things he is concerned about that he would become a libertarian.

libertybrewcity
07-10-2010, 07:20 PM
he probably is. but there is no money in libertarian comedy shows. he does seem to be quite anti-what is messing up at the moment though, dems, republicans, media...

libertybrewcity
07-10-2010, 07:22 PM

it's doable but just harder to convert. old people read a lot and watch tv. they don't surf the internet looking for ron paul youtube videos. if they are forced to go out of the box they would like what this guy is saying.

BlackTerrel
07-10-2010, 11:33 PM
he probably is. but there is no money in libertarian comedy shows. he does seem to be quite anti-what is messing up at the moment though, dems, republicans, media...

South Park seems to be making decent money at it. Though their show is not all political.

specsaregood
07-10-2010, 11:47 PM
I think some here should rewatch his crossfire interview.

In it he says it isn't the candidates or the sides/ideology but the process and system that provides his material.

another noteable comment: "the candidate that has no chance to win is allowed to speak out and say the most."

YouTube - jon stewart on crossfire (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFQFB5YpDZE)

heavenlyboy34
07-11-2010, 12:10 AM
This. I suggest separating your view of these media personalities, as human beings, from their "characters" and performances on air. Whether he can learn or already knows is irrelevant. He was hired by his employer to provide a very specific type of entertainment to their audience, in order to secure advertising revenue from companies by promising them a guaranteed level of exposure to specific "demographics." If he deviated, they would likely cancel his show and replace his act with another individual who would walk the company line.

This isn't just Mr. Stewart's reality; it's the same for all of these media personalities, from Chris Matthews to Glenn Beck. Once again, these individuals deserve your apathy... nothing more.

qft! :cool:

heavenlyboy34
07-11-2010, 12:20 AM
South Park seems to be making decent money at it. Though their show is not all political.

Then there's Stossel and Penn and Teller-who last I heard were doing alright. ;):D

TruckinMike
07-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Jon Stewart is the quintessential collectivist. Toss Stewart on the crossroads of true freedom Ave. and statism Dr. - He will take statism every time. Thats the road he knows, thats the road he wants. He's to weak to take the road less traveled, he prefers the road to serfdom instead.

TMike:cool:

BoutTreeFiddy
07-11-2010, 01:02 PM
I don't like the guy, straight up.

I wouldn't want him to be a libertarian. I hope we are successful in establishing a free society, and I hope he is one of the many tards that hates it.

Anything to spite that dude would be fine with me.

And by the way, the guy has had an opinion on politics for too long to change his views. His perspective on society is set in stone. And even if it wasn't I still wouldn't want him on our side.

zade
07-11-2010, 01:27 PM
He is very smart, and I love the show. I doubt he would become a libertarian just because one smart libertarian talks to him. He talks to smart people all the time, and he's formed his opinions, which are not altogether bad.

Fredom101
07-11-2010, 04:49 PM
No, he's too old, beholden to the msm, and wants to keep his stardom in tact.

heavenlyboy34
07-11-2010, 04:51 PM
No, he's too old, beholden to the msm, and wants to keep his stardom in tact.

I wouldn't consider Comedy Central to be "MSM". ;)

nobody's_hero
07-11-2010, 06:09 PM
Definitely recommend re-watching the Crossfire interview! Thanks for posting that; I think Jon Stewart effectively killed their program.

I agree with what others had posted, though, in that Jon can't really take sides. He risks losing viewership if he does, and it is a comedy show. The best thing for him in his situation is to continue to pick on everybody (like South Park, etc.).

That doesn't mean, however, that I would pass up an opportunity to sit down with him in a coffee shop and talk about how he really feels, away from the cameras. I think he's a rational being, even if he wouldn't agree with me on a lot.

By rational, I mean he doesn't hold politicians upon some sacred altar and get immediately offended if you talk bad about one. It's hard to have a conversation with someone who takes every criticism of the president as if it were a personal insult and responds accordingly.

surf
07-12-2010, 12:06 AM
wtf? he admires RP very much, has begun to take our side on many issues, and i think he has evolved quite a bit from the time he called RP "mr. pickles" (in a debate montage). watch an old interview and you will see how Stewart - like the rest of us - trust and admire our guy.

he had BOs budget or economic guy on a few weeks back and asked him why the hell they kept Geithner and Bernanke in power after they fucked things up so bad. Oglesby (i think is the dbags name who he interviewed) was talking about "redesigning" gov't or some such thing and eliminating or replacing things that didn't work - and Stewart fired back about Helicopter Ben and Taxman Timmy. those were the only two items he quizzed the guy about.

i'm telling you, Stewart is on our side and i hope that an RP election will let him focus on blasting the likes of congress and Bloomberg because he won't have anything to poke fun at with RP in the whitehouse.

that's my .02.