PDA

View Full Version : USDA Reports Food Shortages: Wall Street 'Caught Off Guard' by Severity

lynnf
07-07-2010, 05:19 PM
oh, boy, here it comes........

http://www.activistpost.com/2010/07/food-shortages-reported-wall-street.html

Several recent headlines indicate that food prices will continue their swift climb upward. These troubling new reports show that agriculture production and stored grains are critically low and experts are now predicting food shortages on a grand scale.

Look at a few mainstream headlines: Drought threatens global rice supply in the India Times; VA farmers say heat taking toll on crops, Associated Press; Severe food shortage follows lack of rainfall in Syria; and, finally, Corn prices bolt as USDA downsizes crop estimates, which states that, "Commodity professionals were caught off guard Wednesday by a U.S. Department of Agriculture report showing 1 million fewer acres of corn planted this year than earlier projected, and almost 300 million fewer bushels of corn in storage." And these articles don't begin to address crops being damaged by the toxic rain from the Gulf oil disaster.

Lafayette
07-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Que the price controls!

jkr
07-07-2010, 06:36 PM
ok, what are the top 5 to buy for storage?

lynnf
07-08-2010, 03:15 AM

rice and beans, for sure.

lynn

lynnf
07-08-2010, 08:06 AM

ok, you asked for it -- this is a weird list

http://hubpages.com/hub/7-Survivalist-Foods-Every-Family-Should-Stock-Up-On

lynn

GunnyFreedom
07-08-2010, 08:19 AM
I got a 50lbbag of white rice (filler, not really nutritional) a mad ton of yellow long grain rice (nutritional) and dried beans of every sort. A couple cases each of canned tuna, canned mackerel, canned salmon, canned beef, canned chicken, etc.

(pay close attention to expiration dates on canned meats, you are looking for 2.5 years minimum)

I got 5000 of these little plastic ziplocks that will fit 2 cups and 1000 of these little plastic ziplocks that will fit 4 cups.

I put 3 cups of white rice into the larger bag, and sharpie markered them with quantity and prep instructions, sealed it and poked holes all over the bag with a pin. Did the same with the rice and beans, 1.5 cups each in the smaller bags, including prep instructions and punching a bunch of pin holes.

The I took 2 whites, 3 yellows, and one each of the beans and put them into a vacuum seal bag. the kind with the machine that vacuums all the air out and heat-seals the sleeve into a bag.

Each vacuum pack is roughly one week for one person.

You can get one year of long term storage food for one person for about $800 at a big-box store like CostCo or BJ's or Sam's Club and eat like a king (at least compared to the other poor saps who will be standing in line for government chicken broth and processed cheese-like substance)

LittleLightShining
07-08-2010, 08:35 AM
I've been going through my storage. I don't have nearly as much as I'd like but I'm way ahead of most people. Lots of rice, dried organic black beans, canned vegetables (I know they're nutrient weak but they also cost me next to nothing on sale so why not?), peanut butter, canned tuna, spices, tons of oats-- quick and old fashioned, lots of canned tomatoes (which I know people say are one of the worst canned foods to buy but again, they cost me next to nothing and there's liquid and vitamin c in there.

As a side note I lived without electricity and limited water for a long time so I know I want to have some foods that cook quickly and don't require a lot of water to prepare. I decided on oats because you can eat them raw, toasted, soaked/cooked and the quick oats are easy to turn into flour. Rice and beans are heavy to carry and the beans especially take a long time to process and use more water but I think they're good to have around.

GunnyFreedom
07-08-2010, 08:39 AM
The MRE's and the Mountain Home foods are great, but your cost-for-quantity ratio is awful low. No question but that these are the best long term foods for emergency -- MRE's in conditions under 70 degrees can last 12 to 15 years, or 10-12 years under 80 degrees, or 8 years under 90 degrees. The effects are cumulative, ie 1 month at 90 does not automatically make your MRE's drop down to 8 years, that's 8 years at 90 to make them expire in 8 years. If your temps fluctuatesay 4 years of 90 degrees and 4 years if 70 degrees, they will last 11ish years. Do not freeze MREs if you can help it. Fter MRE's "expire" they are still nutritious and safe, they will just taste lake cardboard ass.

Mountain Home foods will last closer to 20 years being dehydrated, but involve at least some prep.

My favorite place for buying emergency foodstuffs for long term storage is MRE Depot (http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/StoreFront)

In addition to carrying MRE's (occasionally at WOOT! like prices - you have to watch) their cases of canned foods and meats are the longest term storage with the best/most natural ingredients I have ever found. Instead of stuffing cans with cooked food and mad preservatived, they stuff an seal their cans with raw food, seal it, and cook it in the sealed cans. makes it a little more pricey, but to get canned meats that last 10+ years WITHOUT PRESERVATIVES is far beyond worth it in my book.

Check out this 21 lbs of 10+ year beef chunks for $71.95 (http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/the-241/Yoders-Canned-Can-Beef/Detail)

The advantage of going with these made-for-survival-storage cans over grocery store or big-box store regular canned meats is in the process. "Normal" canned meats are canned already cooked, require preservatives, and the maximum shelf life you will find (if you are lucky!!) is 4 years. The cans I refer to above will last probably 12 years or more, are cooked in the can after they are sealed, and contain no preservatives at all.

You pay a little more but I think it's worth it.