PDA

View Full Version : RAND Policy Center: Pot Prices Could Plummet Post-Legalization

Matt Collins
07-07-2010, 01:24 PM
A new study says legalizing the recreational use of marijuana in California could sharply drive down prices for the drug and possibly undercut the tax windfall that supporters have touted.

The study published Wednesday by the RAND Drug Policy Research Center says "considerable uncertainty" surrounds the state ballot initiative. It would allow adults, 21 and over, to possess an ounce of marijuana and cities and counties to license and tax commercial pot sales.

The authors predict that retail marijuana prices could drop from $375 an ounce under the state's current medical marijuana law to as low as $38 per ounce.

SOURCE:
http://www.newsmax.com/US/US-Marijuana-Legalization/2010/07/07/id/364019

fletcher
07-07-2010, 01:27 PM
They needed a study to figure this out??

Bruno
07-07-2010, 01:27 PM
Amazing how they needed a study to confirm common sense.

ChaosControl
07-07-2010, 01:30 PM
New study: Water is wet.

dannno
07-07-2010, 01:31 PM
A lot of stupid people don't believe things until there is an official "study" released by the government or some establishment group. Makes me sick, try thinking for yourself for a god damn change.

RideTheDirt
07-07-2010, 01:32 PM
A new study says legalizing the recreational use of marijuana in California could sharply drive down prices for the drug and possibly undercut the tax windfall that supporters have touted.

The study published Wednesday by the RAND Drug Policy Research Center says "considerable uncertainty" surrounds the state ballot initiative. It would allow adults, 21 and over, to possess an ounce of marijuana and cities and counties to license and tax commercial pot sales.

The authors predict that retail marijuana prices could drop from $375 an ounce under the state's current medical marijuana law to as low as $38 per ounce.

SOURCE:

*drools*:D

tremendoustie
07-07-2010, 01:33 PM

SOURCE:
http://www.newsmax.com/US/US-Marijuana-Legalization/2010/07/07/id/364019 (http://www.newsmax.com/US/US-Marijuana-Legalization/2010/07/07/id/364019)

Oh, horrors! You mean, people will have to break into 90% fewer homes and automobiles in order to fund their habit!? Whatever will we do? Think of all the bored cops!!

ChaosControl
07-07-2010, 01:35 PM
And heck $38/ounce?

Legalize it and I'm going to start growing and selling it.

RideTheDirt
07-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Prop 19 FTW

torchbearer
07-07-2010, 01:51 PM
And heck $38/ounce?

if farming is allowed, we can get the market price lower than that.

ClayTrainor
07-07-2010, 01:54 PM

God dam, that is the world i want to live in!

torchbearer
07-07-2010, 01:55 PM

all it takes is freedom.

Matt Collins
07-07-2010, 02:02 PM
all it takes is freedom.
That's a mighty tall order :(

Bruno
07-07-2010, 02:05 PM

and still be profitable

It currently has (reportedly) the highest mark-up, and therefore profitability, of all illegal drugs.

fisharmor
07-07-2010, 02:13 PM
And heck $38/ounce?

I was talking to my carpool buddy this morning about how interesting it would be to run a grow shop.

There are going to be a lot of people doing it, and none of them are going to know how.... and the veterans working at Ace aren't going to be able to help, either.

jmdrake
07-07-2010, 02:15 PM
I'm laughing at myself. When I glanced I the title my mind read it as:

"RAND Pol: Pot Prices Could Plummet Post-Legalization"

Too much Rand on the brain I guess. :o

BuddyRey
07-07-2010, 02:17 PM
At 38 dollars an ounce, many more people could afford to vaporize cannabis, or bake it into consumables like cakes, cookies, etc. And that means that many of the potentially harmful effects of cannabis (which have never been proven anyway) would be circumvented. I know this sounds simple, but that's because it is. Legal pot means safer pot!

jkr
07-07-2010, 02:17 PM
HEY EVERYBODY!

get ready for the quote of the day!

"It will go to FREE when it is legal. Instant release of capitol into a natural born utility replacement stimulus"

speciallyblend
07-07-2010, 04:28 PM
Oh, horrors! You mean, people will have to break into 90% fewer homes and automobiles in order to fund their habit!? Whatever will we do? Think of all the bored cops!!

??? i do not know a soul who steals for marijuana, except maybe some punk kids who are crackheads or harder drugs . what study are you referring to? that links marijuana to home invasion or auto theft?

speciallyblend
07-07-2010, 04:29 PM

get a colorado med card and you can get clones for 10 bucks;)

tremendoustie
07-07-2010, 04:31 PM
??? i do not know a soul who steals for marijuana, except maybe some punk kids who are crackheads or harder drugs . what study are you referring to? that links marijuana to home invasion or auto theft?

Yeah, you're right, people more often steal to get the harder drugs.

Just sayin' though, if there is any crime, it would be nearly wiped out.

And, the gangs and pushers would be defunded as well.

I wish you could trade votes. I didn't use most of my votes in the primary, and probably won't use most of them in November. I'd certainly prefer to trade those votes to collect a couple dozen votes for this.

jkr
07-07-2010, 05:19 PM
i can build carz with it!

and more!

Noob
07-07-2010, 05:24 PM
It would raise more taxes really, with the lower price more people would be able to get it.

BenIsForRon
07-07-2010, 05:28 PM
At $38 an ounce, you can expect lots of out of state customers. Anybody from Nevada would take a day road trip to get those prices.

It would become their number one export overnight, as well.

squarepusher
07-07-2010, 05:45 PM
right now, $375 per ounce for high quality indoor grown meds. The way proposition 19 is stated, it doesn't allow for large scale growing (5x5 feet space max), so I do not think prices will drop so fast. For high quality meds, it takes indoor growing with lots of electricity and TLC, it would be hard to see the price dip below $175 for quality in the foreseeable future.

If farmers start cash cropping it outdoor, you could get good outdoor Humboldt style meds for a very low price, but keep in mind a crop takes 3 months ~ minimum, and to set up infastructure for mass growing would take a few months, and the outdoor natural growing cycle starts in ~march/april, so you're looking 1-2 years down the road for these "rock bottom" prices of outdoor, although immediate price would drop I estimate ~15%

keep in mind, traveling across state borders would still be felony trafficing, unless its to a possible neighboring medical state, but you would need to obtain medical verification for both states, which isn't so easy also as proof of residence is usually a requirement.

dannno
07-07-2010, 05:56 PM
At $38 an ounce, you can expect lots of out of state customers. Anybody from Nevada would take a day road trip to get those prices.

Ya I can imagine the GOP wanting to build a fence around California after this passes.

tangent4ronpaul
07-07-2010, 06:26 PM
Out of curiosity, what is the illegal street price for an ounce of similar quality pot in CA? Anyone know?

-t

mrsat_98
07-07-2010, 07:24 PM
And heck $38/ounce?

I don't get out much but last I heard fine ass mexican was about $600 -$700 a lb in one lb lots.

speciallyblend
07-07-2010, 07:37 PM
right now, $375 per ounce for high quality indoor grown meds. The way proposition 19 is stated, it doesn't allow for large scale growing (5x5 feet space max), so I do not think prices will drop so fast. For high quality meds, it takes indoor growing with lots of electricity and TLC, it would be hard to see the price dip below $175 for quality in the foreseeable future.

If farmers start cash cropping it outdoor, you could get good outdoor Humboldt style meds for a very low price, but keep in mind a crop takes 3 months ~ minimum, and to set up infastructure for mass growing would take a few months, and the outdoor natural growing cycle starts in ~march/april, so you're looking 1-2 years down the road for these "rock bottom" prices of outdoor, although immediate price would drop I estimate ~15%

keep in mind, traveling across state borders would still be felony trafficing, unless its to a possible neighboring medical state, but you would need to obtain medical verification for both states, which isn't so easy also as proof of residence is usually a requirement.

i hear you, to be honest after going from seed to bud. i wonder why marijuana isn't 200 for a quarter and 600 plus for 1 ounce. it is alot of work from start to finish;) (not that i would know) i challenge anyone to grow start to finish and tell me pot shouldn't be more expensive with time and labor involved. we should all feel lucky it is 375 or 275 an ounce(less in some cases). it is not like it grows on trees;) it takes hard work to make good marijuana!!

speciallyblend
07-07-2010, 07:38 PM
I don't get out much but last I heard fine ass mexican was about $600 -$700 a lb in one lb lots.

hmmm, there is no such thing as fine ass mexican anymore. mexicans grow crappy pot!! mexican pot reminds me of stale tobacco soaked in hot sauce!!

Dr.3D
07-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Wow, I remember back in the '60s and early '70s, you could get an ounce for around 20 - 35 bucks. Has inflation really kicked in, or is it just that Nancy said to "Just say no."?

1000-points-of-fright
07-07-2010, 07:47 PM

Correct my math if necessary, but even if the tax revenues are lower than expected they would still be MORE THAN ZERO WHICH IS WHAT THEY ARE GETTING OUT OF IT NOW!

Then factor in the savings in Law Enforcement, Prosecutions, and Prisons.

Dr.3D
07-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Then factor in the savings in Law Enforcement, Prosecutions, and Prisons.

That's probably what many of them are worried about. They don't want to lose their jobs. ;)

JeNNiF00F00
07-07-2010, 07:50 PM

JeNNiF00F00
07-07-2010, 07:51 PM

speciallyblend
07-07-2010, 07:55 PM
right now street marijuana is cheaper then dispensary marijuana. keep it illegal;) cheaper on green market then in stores.sad day when illegal pot is cheaper then legal pot. no need to worry about street marijuana going away. all the regulations will keep them in business due to the outrageous prices of legal marijuana!!! they are already over regulating to the point. i just go to the street again!!! end reefer madness pt 2 legalize and no taxes. anything less we all go to the green market!! cheaper on the street!!

TheBlackPeterSchiff
07-07-2010, 07:56 PM
New Flash: The Sun is hot. Real hot.

james1906
07-07-2010, 07:56 PM
It's only a matter of time until China legalizes it and exports it for $1 an ounce

speciallyblend
07-07-2010, 07:59 PM
It's only a matter of time until China legalizes it and exports it for $1 an ounce

hopefully they do not enrich it with chinese baby milk formula:)

specsaregood
07-07-2010, 08:10 PM
I don't know how to take this article. It is like they are writing it as a bad thing, yet its just gonna get supporters even more stimulated.

Would be nice if they added how much of a savings it would be for existing smokers and they will be able to spend that money into the legal taxable economy.

dannno
07-07-2010, 08:52 PM
I don't know how to take this article. It is like they are writing it as a bad thing, yet its just gonna get supporters even more stimulated.

Would be nice if they added how much of a savings it would be for existing smokers and they will be able to spend that money into the legal taxable economy.

Ya, the article should be saying, "look at how much extra money the cartels are making!"

dannno
07-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Out of curiosity, what is the illegal street price for an ounce of similar quality pot in CA? Anyone know?

-t

Similar to what? As far as I know, northern california grows the best herb, so it's hard to compare to other places because it commands a higher price.. pretty much what squarepusher said, but it can go higher or lower depending on if you're in the green market or at a medical dispensary, and what grade it is.. but I guess illegal street price in northern california in an area where the availability is really high could potentially be $300 or lower, for even some of the best stuff there is.. but the average is probably closer to $400 for the best of the high grade in CA..

speciallyblend
07-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Similar to what? As far as I know, northern california grows the best herb, so it's hard to compare to other places because it commands a higher price.. pretty much what squarepusher said, but it can go higher or lower depending on if you're in the green market or at a medical dispensary, and what grade it is.. but I guess illegal street price in northern california in an area where the availability is really high could potentially be $300 or lower, for even some of the best stuff there is.. but the average is probably closer to $400 for the best of the high grade in CA..

you sound about spot on. pay for taxed marijuana or untaxed marijuana? i think you know what a majority will chose;) i find all the buzz over regulating marijuana amusing:) except for the folks getting arrested:(. do they not understand marijuana is easier to score then candy in a candy store? the more they regulate. the more folks will just return to their connection!! yeah once in a blue moon i might go to a med store,but to be honest. good marijuana existed before regulations and still does and every regulation other then ending marijuana prohibition is almost comical. My goal is to have every grower in colorado and cali grow cannabis sativa and on one day after all the curing is done just give all the cannabis sativa out for free;) but that would piss off the gov and military and drug dealers;)

it would be like free granola in the vail resorts bathrooms:)

tangent4ronpaul
07-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Well Squarepusher was saying #375 for high grade primo. I was basically wondering if the illegal market would compete, price wise with medical / legal for an equivalent product. $300 says yes, $400 says no.

Where is the free market?

I'm betting most of the cost of that $375 oz medical is tax.

-t

speciallyblend
07-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Well Squarepusher was saying #375 for high grade primo. I was basically wondering if the illegal market would compete, price wise with medical / legal for an equivalent product. $300 says yes, $400 says no.

-t

you can get medical grade marijuana without tax for same value or less;) on the green market! i honestly do not see a great price drop on high grade marijuana, there is still overhead cost and labor! i can see high grade marijuana going for 200-300 in a free market no less due to overhead costs!! high grade marijuana is starting to sell/trade thru patients on average of 200+ no more then 300 bucks an ounce. medical of course not street connections! it helps cover their overhead!

squarepusher
07-07-2010, 10:05 PM

-t

well, as right now most of the illegal people simply pay the $100-150 or so for the medical recommendation, and become legal. And if they have quantities, they represent large "collectives" thus loosely giving them the rights to cultivate for a large quantity of patients (and also have large amounts on hand). This will get you by the state laws, if push comes to shove with a trial, you could likely get off with the claim that you are representing a large collective of medical patients. For a fairly simply set of steps, its almost silly to not be medical and be protected from state law.

Considering dispensary's aren't even really discussed with California's medical laws, they are almost a gray area in themselves. The price is high for some reasons ($400 per oz): indoor growing is expensive. Factoring in rent $2000/mo, and electricity $600/mo, and say a cycle of 3 months, you are looking at ~ $8000 not even including equipment fees. Also, getting the highest quality is a bit of an art form with only a few growers capable of doing. But, in all actuality, the grower themselves don't often sell directly to medical consumers, more often they deal with dispensary's and remain anonymous, sell cash for possibly up to$4000/lb ($250/oz bulk) quickly. Its then the medical/retail establishment that often will charge the large markup to $375 for dealing with the consumer, and taking that risk. So, as it is, the illegal aspect definitely does raise prices as it encourages growers to be anonymous and deal with dispensary's, who then deal with consumers. Its also a fairly high markup, at broken down quantities, dispensary's may even make up to $500 per oz, all said and done.

Its not a big surprise that the sponsor of this bill, Richard Lee, owns the biggest chain of dispensary's in Oakland, and bans the consumer from having any large quantity (think of it like forcing the consumer to only be allowed to buy 6 packs or 24 packs, but not kegs of beer). The prices I have mentioned above are considering high quality indoor, however, outdoor uses no electricity and essentially just soil and sun. I am not an expert on this, but I think its a safe claim that outdoor can't reach quality as indoor, simply due to it being out in nature with rain, bugs, wind, animals and not allowing as high degree of controlled environment. That being said, greenhouses can produce a very good quality medicine with somewhat controlled environment, and also not use electricity.

How much should we expect the price to drop? I expect the biggest drop in cost will be outdoor, mass produced product. This will not be the highest grade, however I am also confident in some impressive products, as modern outdoor growers have come quite a way. One of the parts of the bill however is it limits product amounts to 5x5 feet per residence. So, that's a big limit which certainly will hamper "mass production." What I do not understand, is if there will be licenses which one would have to purchase to be a "commercial grower" for several thousand dollars, and if so will there be limits to these licenses, how much will they allow, etc ... ?

and this
YouTube - Kesha - Tik Tok parody(Go cops) By Rucka Rucka Ali (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iORpLPmFfHU)

speciallyblend
07-07-2010, 10:12 PM
sqaurepusher you sound about right! outdoor is what will drop big!! as i said in upper post in colorado medical circles patient to patient can be 200 an ounce for high-grade marijuana. as more patients grow. i see marijuana becoming a barter tool almost a currency;) in the end many just pass marijuana around freely for nothing:) kinda like trading micro brews;)
the new market is marijuana food and pure products!! who's butter is better;) wanna a cookie:) no need to smoke marijuana, EAT IT:) yum yum

wanna come help me and my wife move tomorrow?? i will pay in green:) money that is cough cough

idirtify
07-07-2010, 10:21 PM

It should be interesting. True, the price SHOULD drop; but maybe not if drug tourism skyrockets. The prices won’t drop below what the market will bear, and people are so used to overpaying. Plus, it’s pretty obvious it will be taxed to death. OOH, growing your own pot is far easier than growing your own tobacco and would cost you virtually nothing; but OTOH, I suspect the gov agencies are going to try to overcompensate with greater enforcement of tax regulations. It remains to be seen whether they will even try to go after the home grower for possessing his homegrown without a tax number (proof that he has paid inventory taxes on every stored ounce). Sadly, I doubt pot prices will fall very soon after legalization in one state. But for the long term, there is no reason an ounce of good pot should cost any more than a couple packs of cigarettes.

idirtify
07-07-2010, 10:25 PM
I don't know how to take this article.

Me either. RAND almost seems to use its study to warn against legalization, because it may not benefit the State as much as initially thought. Check out this sentence in the conclusion of the article:
“We (RAND) believe that the issues analyzed here are important for voters and legislators, perhaps particularly for those who are not already firmly in the pro- or anti-legalization camps.”
http://www.rand.org/pubs/occasional_papers/2010/RAND_OP315.pdf

I mean OOH the article comes off as being non-biased, but OTOH the SLIGHTEST SUGGESTION that lower prices may be a valid reason to not legalize is truly insane.

speciallyblend
07-07-2010, 10:29 PM
It should be interesting. True, the price SHOULD drop; but maybe not if drug tourism skyrockets. The prices won’t drop below what the market will bear, and people are so used to overpaying. Plus, it’s pretty obvious it will be taxed to death. OOH, growing your own pot is far easier than growing your own tobacco and would cost you virtually nothing; but OTOH, I suspect the gov agencies are going to try to overcompensate with greater enforcement of tax regulations. It remains to be seen whether they will even try to go after the home grower for possessing his homegrown without a tax number (proof that he has paid inventory taxes on every stored ounce). Sadly, I doubt pot prices will fall very soon after legalization in one state. But for the long term, there is no reason an ounce of good pot should cost any more than a couple packs of cigarettes.

i would have to ask have you grown your own?? if so you would be selling it for 600 an ounce;) it is not like it grows on trees unless its mexican crap. there is much to do to grow "good" marijuana. it is like raising a kid. you have to tend to them. easier then tobacco??i think not i guess if you throw a seed outdoors and come back to harvest but that isn't good marijuana! good marijuana might drop to 200 but i doubt any cheaper unless solar prices comedown and you hire illegals to trim your crop(though most of your crop might dissapear;) !! of course if you are growing your own. you are swimming in buds:) but those buds were worked for;) it sure isn't making soft tacos at taco bell:P

speciallyblend
07-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Me either. RAND almost seems to use its study to warn against legalization, because it may not benefit the State as much as initially thought. Check out this sentence in the conclusion of the article:
“We (RAND) believe that the issues analyzed here are important for voters and legislators, perhaps particularly for those who are not already firmly in the pro- or anti-legalization camps.”
http://www.rand.org/pubs/occasional_papers/2010/RAND_OP315.pdf

I mean OOH the article comes off as being non-biased, but OTOH the SLIGHTEST SUGGESTION that lower prices may be a valid reason to not legalize is truly insane.

honestly i was pro legalization but now i am like keep it illegal. marijuana is more expensive in stores then on the streets and quality on street is just as good if not better depending on areas!!! they can make all the regulations up they want, never stopped me from smoking a joint!! and never will!!! would i buy hi-grade marijuana for 200-300 on the street or 400 in a store;) simple math cheaper for folks to get busted 3-4 times a yr then pay over-bearing taxes on over-priced marijuana and get a med card!!

tremendoustie
07-07-2010, 10:36 PM
honestly i was pro legalization but now i am like keep it illegal. marijuana is more expensive in stores then on the streets and qaulity on street is just as good if not better depending on areas!!! they can make all the regulations up they want, never stopped me from smoking a joint!! and never will!!!

It should be legal, because that's the morally right thing to do.

If you want to keep using underground sources, that's your right.

Actually, there should be no such thing as underground sources, because growing as much as you want, and buying or selling without taxes should be legal, but I recognize that won't happen right away.

speciallyblend
07-07-2010, 10:42 PM
It should be legal, because that's the morally right thing to do.

If you want to keep using underground sources, that's your right.

Actually, there should be no such thing as underground sources, because growing as much as you want, and buying or selling without taxes should be legal, but I recognize that won't happen right away.

i hear you, to me it's legal in colorado. having an ounce is a cheaper fine then a speeding ticket! only people getting ticketed in colorado for marijuana possession are folks who were caught doing something else(which is rare for a marijuana consumer to be doing anything wrong) and the marijuana is a minor infraction. if you have a med card you have the colorado constitutional right to grow 6 plants and possess marijuana.

idirtify
07-07-2010, 10:58 PM
i would have to ask have you grown your own?? if so you would be selling it for 600 an ounce;) it is not like it grows on trees unless its mexican crap. there is much to do to grow "good" marijuana. it is like raising a kid. you have to tend to them. easier then tobacco??i think not i guess if you throw a seed outdoors and come back to harvest but that isn't good marijuana! good marijuana might drop to 200 but i doubt any cheaper unless solar prices comedown and you hire illegals to trim your crop(though most of your crop might dissapear;) !! of course if you are growing your own. you are swimming in buds:) but those buds were worked for;) it sure isn't making soft tacos at taco bell:P

I’ll take the fifth on your question. I only admit KNOWLEDGE; knowledge of farming, AND tobacco culture, AND pot culture. And comparatively, pot is EASY! Bogus claims otherwise are usually due to: 1) it’s good for the growers (helps keep prices high); 2) it’s more relevant to pricey indoor operations (where it would take just as much money and labor to grow indoor cauliflower); 3) it’s BS macho bragging.

idirtify
07-07-2010, 11:02 PM
honestly i was pro legalization but now i am like keep it illegal. marijuana is more expensive in stores then on the streets and quality on street is just as good if not better depending on areas!!! they can make all the regulations up they want, never stopped me from smoking a joint!! and never will!!! would i buy hi-grade marijuana for 200-300 on the street or 400 in a store;) simple math cheaper for folks to get busted 3-4 times a yr then pay over-bearing taxes on over-priced marijuana and get a med card!!

Yeah, like:
“With legalization like that, who needs prohibition?”

But seriously…legalization will certainly improve the situation.

michaelwise
07-07-2010, 11:19 PM
I can't wait till it is legalized so I can grow it in my own back yard for free.

michaelwise
07-07-2010, 11:40 PM
I can't wait till it is legalized so I can grow it in my own back yard for free.

No1ButPaul08
07-07-2010, 11:45 PM
Wow $38 for some Cali Chronic...might have to start smoking again if it's that cheap

Wow, I remember back in the '60s and early '70s, you could get an ounce for around 20 - 35 bucks. Has inflation really kicked in, or is it just that Nancy said to "Just say no."?

Well the weed they are talking about is the cream of the crop that I don't believe was around in the 60s and 70s. Normal weed in my area runs from $100-150

squarepusher
07-08-2010, 12:02 AM

im fairly sure the California proposition would still make it illegal to grow outdoors. in a maximum space of 25 square feet.

lots of problems with this prop from what i see

EDIT: I'm not sure if outdoor cultivation is allowed with this proposition

.Tom
07-08-2010, 12:10 AM

:eek:

It's official. I'm moving to California.

Akus
07-08-2010, 12:12 AM
New study: Water is wet.

Inconclusive.

Needs more research.:D

Disconsolate
07-08-2010, 01:01 AM

SOURCE:
Makes perfect sense.

Legalization would imply a massive cut in cost and increase in competition. If prices don't fall with that combination, then I don't deserve to graduate with a business degree in economics lol.

libertybrewcity
07-08-2010, 01:11 AM

-t

pot in california is a whole new world. it is nothing like that of the markets in any other state. The culture surrounding this product is incredible. In San Francisco, the med clubs usually sell an ounce for around 300 to 375. The larger quantity you buy, the cheaper it is. When I first came to SF, people were paying around 280 for an ounce, but the quality was just decent. Med buds are incredible. One hitter quitter for a lot of people.

Prices will vary depending on where in the state you go. If go up to humbouldt county you can get cheaper ounces at some point in the season because every other house has a growhouse set up. Lately, law enforcement has been cracking down on illegal growing, thus bringing the prices up in the past few months.

No one really smokes crappy mexican weed unless you go down south, and only the poorer neighborhoods have it or the homeless. I've been here for about 2 years and haven't seen one person with any weed less than amazing.

libertybrewcity
07-08-2010, 01:13 AM
it is truly amazing what the free market can do. if pot is legalized i see complete independence from mexico imports in a year.

golden0669
07-08-2010, 01:16 AM

SOURCE:

STOP THE BUS!

Newsmax.com is a M.S.M. Machine. They produce lies, promote the propoganda, take your money (if you're willing) and give you pure shit in return. Not to mention they have done a amazing job at corrupting Ron Paul's tea party, and helping promote the pretty Palin puppet as a replacement for Ron Paul. NEVER!

Newsmax needs to go away, and never use them as a valid news source cause it makes you look more follish than them, cause you sited them as the source which imply's you took the wrong medicine. So let me explain a few things I know for a fact about newsmax and marijuana.

Let me prove my point about newsmax first.

1) All of their polls are fixed. http://polls.newsmax.com is nothing more than a way for them to get your e-mail address. They never change, regardless how many people "vote" on a poll. After that, the spam starts coming, but don't worry because they are more than happy to help you with your e-mail filters (http://w3.newsmax.com/emails/whitelist.cfm) to allow their e-mail (cause they know it's spam).

2) They write articles based on their bullshit poll numbers, and come up with false conclusions because these polls are static.

3) Third, once you are on their mailing list, you're never off it. They give you a "unsubscribe" link in their e-mails, which takes you to a page and you have to type in your e-mail address to unsubscribe. Here's the catch, they don't take you off the list and you will continue to get propaganda and solicitations. Over and over again you can try, but it will not work.

They harvest e-mails from their fake polls, make up bullshit "news" based on their polls, then try to feed it back to you because you were dumb enough to swallow the medicine in the first place.

Now, about this marijuana topic. I'm a medical card holder, and I live in a medical friendly state I can talk about this with no fear.

.........(breaking to medicate).........

So, here's how this whole America and weed deal works. All you folks down south are paying a lot more $$$ for the good stuff. We up here in the northwest are paying a lot less. All the growers in the south and spending more on their crops just to keep them alive. In the north west it rains all the time, plants grow like crazy whether you want them to or not, and you put a small plant in the ground and just wait. Or use hydroponics.

"On the street" in the northwest, it's about 240-300/ounce (depends on quality and who the provider is). If I know lots of folks in Cali, and they charge about 250-350/ounce. People in Arizona pay 350-400/ounce. The Midwest is about 290-340/ounce. Plus, if you buy bulk, then you get a nice discount.

Here's the other thing people NEVER talk about. Licensed patients and caregivers generally have a lower pay rate, around $150-200/ounce.

So as a legal grower and caregiver, I can tell you to keep the cycle of life going all year around, it cost a couple thousand just to get off the ground, and about $300/month in supplies (neuts,power,water, etc..), and in about 3 months you can grow around $15,000 (street) vs $9,000 (patient/provider) dollars for your total investment of $900. Not a bad deal. That's a 1,000% profit gain, and it's legal. ;)

Believe me when I say, people are talking about what happens to our profits when the laws change down the road. Our state ALMOST passed it a few years back, but it failed %46YAH to 54%NAH. The way this was defeated was the propaganda machine using the SAME excuse, "It won't be worth it because the prices will drop soooo much."

Here's the thing though. A friend of a friend of a friend, etc, etc ran a little experiment just to see what would happen. Here is what happened.

The price of an eighth (1/8) of an ounce general sold for $40 or $130 a half/ounce.
This person would provide (legally of course) about a pound of medicine a month, and made about $4,000.

This person lowered the price to $30 an eighth. Same weight, same good quality.
This person made $1,280 less per pound, but...move about 3.5 times the volume.
It came out to about $9,100 in one month!

That's an additional $5,100 profit gained. Think about that for a moment.

Guess what, less ended up being more. More respect from patients, more friends, more saving for patients, more profits for the provider, more good times for everyone.

When you remove the greed and "evil" persona that has plagued Marijuana, it's a damn good deal for everyone. The "experience" of a 'friend of a friend, blah, blah'
ultimately lead to a gathering of providers who talked about what should be done, and whether it would be in our benefit to help get this measure passed. It was a heavily debated issue for several hours, and almost everyone at the meeting wanted to keep the prices higher so they could make more to buy their next SUV and boat to tow behind it. They were blinded buy their immediate need and want of money to see that they were themselves loosing out, and didn't see how less cost == more sales.

It would not be $38 dollars an ounce, and here is why. Supply and demand. The largest consumer of said goods would be people who already buy it now. The demand is generally high, but the supply is lower and prices stay about the same, if not increase.

At best prices would be cut in half, but that's because the demand would go through the roof for the first state to make the switch. From harvest to professional production, distribution, and sales adds over head cost. (It's good to know a grower ;) Basically, everyone will get patient prices.

The first state on the West coast to DECRIMINALIZE and LEGALIZE it will no longer depend on the Fed to find a way to balance their budget. The overflow from all the surrounding states would be insane. When people in Nevada, Idaho, Montana, Arizona, and every other state east of this coast line, realize you can drive 8 hours to get a carton of joints for $150 of some good quality, expect the trucks to start rolling. No joke. Weekend trips west for lots of people. After that state makes billions of dollars, balances the budget, pay's off all it's debt, and stops depending on the fed for future development projects, all within a few years...every other state would follow suite.

I personally tried to explain this to the state's Governor, but he didn't want to hear it. I hope California does it, so I can call the Governor and tell him he's an idiot because California is going to take a $200,000,000+ industry right out of my state, being they're right next to each other. (That number is a rough guess assuming some folks I knew that made %1 of that with a medium sized patient base, and that's probably being generous).

As a person who has many friends in other states and has medical marijuana cards, I WISH TO GOD IT WAS DECRIMINALIZED AND I WAS REGULATED BECAUSE I DAMN WELL KNOW MY HOUSE WOULD BE PAID OFF IN 5 YEARS AS MY WHOLE YARD WOULD BE VERY, VERY GREEN.

(at no point have I admitted to anything other than I hold a legal medical marijuana cards and may or may not conduct legal transaction in my home state with registered patients).

Don't even get me started on Hemp.....errr....it's NOT THE SAME. In fact you try and keep the two far apart from each other. One can 'weaken' the other's quality.

CCTelander
07-08-2010, 01:18 AM
And, in other news, water is wet and the sky appears blue.

libertybrewcity
07-08-2010, 01:18 AM
here is the full initiative: http://yes19.org/initiative.pdf

you will be able to grow outdoors or indoors as long as you don't sell it. you have to be 21 to use it too.

this would probably be the best thing california could ever do economically

parocks
07-08-2010, 02:39 AM
I'm not an expert at all on any of this stuff, but it makes economic sense that the price would fall.

I seriously doubt that the growers costs currently are anywhere near the price to the consumer.

If this law passes, every single person in California can set aside 5 feet by 5 feet for growing marijuana? And they don't have to fuss with the government in order to do so? You will find a lot of people doing just that. All of those Californians who are currently buying marijuana will be growing marijuana. That will result in a decrease of demand in stores by Californians. And every Californian can walk around on the street with an ounce? Any Californian who doesn't grow will be able to get some from the person to the left and/or the right of them. Further decreasing the demand in the stores.

On the other hand, a lot of people will be coming to California for drug tourism. Those people aren't Californians so they won't be growing it, and don't know Californians so they won't be getting it from their California buddies. They will think, though, that it's way way cool to go into a store and buy marijuana. They will have, presumably, a dazzling array of choices, all at prices either equal to or substantially below the prices they pay to dealers in their own state.
They will be extremely happy. And Californias economy will benefit greatly by their tourism. Not only will they be spending money on marijuana, they'll be spending money on a whole bunch of other things, taxable things. I can definitely imagine a marijuana superstore in San Francisco becoming extremely popular and famous and its owners becoming extremely rich.

Depending on the laws, I can also imagine stores where extremely high quality marijuana is sold at extremely low prices. Someone will want to sell high quality at low prices, and someone will. Advertising costs money, and this place or places won't advertise. People will find out about this place or these places by word of mouth or on the internet. If the laws allow just about anybody to own a marijuana store and allow just about anyone to sell the marijuana that they grow to the marijuana store, I would expect this result. But it remains to be seen if that would be ok under the law.

The drug gangs would be the biggest losers here. But it would be a great deal for California and any of the early legalization states. A small state in the Northeast would also benefit immensely by legalization.

WaltM
07-08-2010, 03:41 AM
it's worse than just plummet!

If you think agriculture's corporatism, monopoly, anti-competition, patent abuse, is bad, wait until they do it to legalized marijuana!

idirtify
07-08-2010, 08:05 AM
it's worse than just plummet!

If you think agriculture's corporatism, monopoly, anti-competition, patent abuse, is bad, wait until they do it to legalized marijuana!

Are you thereby implying that MJ should not be legalized?

specsaregood
07-08-2010, 08:15 AM
And Californias economy will benefit greatly by their tourism. Not only will they be spending money on marijuana, they'll be spending money on a whole bunch of other things, taxable things. I can definitely imagine a marijuana superstore in San Francisco becoming extremely popular and famous and its owners becoming extremely rich.

At the very least, even the most nationalistic drug warrior must admit it would be better for this money to have stayed in the US instead of being exported to mexico.
http://www.gold-producers.com/18.jpg

Austrian Econ Disciple
07-08-2010, 08:18 AM

If Marijuana goes for 38$/Ounce I'll be growing and selling it haha. Needless to say Marijuana in a free-market will be as cheap as <1$ an ounce. It's simply much easier to produce than tobacco, and tobacco even in this distorted market excluding taxes is insanely cheap. Though I am waiting for the enivitable crime rise in NY because of the ridiculous taxation.

Bruno
07-08-2010, 08:20 AM
STOP THE BUS!

Newsmax.com is a M.S.M. Machine. They produce lies, promote the propoganda, take your money (if you're willing) and give you pure shit in return. Not to mention they have done a amazing job at corrupting Ron Paul's tea party, and helping promote the pretty Palin puppet as a replacement for Ron Paul. NEVER!

Newsmax needs to go away, and never use them as a valid news source cause it makes you look more follish than them, cause you sited them as the source which imply's you took the wrong medicine. So let me explain a few things I know for a fact about newsmax and marijuana.

Let me prove my point about newsmax first.

1) All of their polls are fixed. http://polls.newsmax.com is nothing more than a way for them to get your e-mail address. They never change, regardless how many people "vote" on a poll. After that, the spam starts coming, but don't worry because they are more than happy to help you with your e-mail filters (http://w3.newsmax.com/emails/whitelist.cfm) to allow their e-mail (cause they know it's spam).

2) They write articles based on their bullshit poll numbers, and come up with false conclusions because these polls are static.

3) Third, once you are on their mailing list, you're never off it. They give you a "unsubscribe" link in their e-mails, which takes you to a page and you have to type in your e-mail address to unsubscribe. Here's the catch, they don't take you off the list and you will continue to get propaganda and solicitations. Over and over again you can try, but it will not work.

They harvest e-mails from their fake polls, make up bullshit "news" based on their polls, then try to feed it back to you because you were dumb enough to swallow the medicine in the first place.

Now, about this marijuana topic. I'm a medical card holder, and I live in a medical friendly state I can talk about this with no fear.

.........(breaking to medicate).........

So, here's how this whole America and weed deal works. All you folks down south are paying a lot more $$$ for the good stuff. We up here in the northwest are paying a lot less. All the growers in the south and spending more on their crops just to keep them alive. In the north west it rains all the time, plants grow like crazy whether you want them to or not, and you put a small plant in the ground and just wait. Or use hydroponics.

"On the street" in the northwest, it's about 240-300/ounce (depends on quality and who the provider is). If I know lots of folks in Cali, and they charge about 250-350/ounce. People in Arizona pay 350-400/ounce. The Midwest is about 290-340/ounce. Plus, if you buy bulk, then you get a nice discount.

Here's the other thing people NEVER talk about. Licensed patients and caregivers generally have a lower pay rate, around $150-200/ounce.

So as a legal grower and caregiver, I can tell you to keep the cycle of life going all year around, it cost a couple thousand just to get off the ground, and about $300/month in supplies (neuts,power,water, etc..), and in about 3 months you can grow around $15,000 (street) vs $9,000 (patient/provider) dollars for your total investment of $900. Not a bad deal. That's a 1,000% profit gain, and it's legal. ;)

Believe me when I say, people are talking about what happens to our profits when the laws change down the road. Our state ALMOST passed it a few years back, but it failed %46YAH to 54%NAH. The way this was defeated was the propaganda machine using the SAME excuse, "It won't be worth it because the prices will drop soooo much."

Here's the thing though. A friend of a friend of a friend, etc, etc ran a little experiment just to see what would happen. Here is what happened.

The price of an eighth (1/8) of an ounce general sold for $40 or $130 a half/ounce.
This person would provide (legally of course) about a pound of medicine a month, and made about $4,000.

This person lowered the price to $30 an eighth. Same weight, same good quality.
This person made $1,280 less per pound, but...move about 3.5 times the volume.
It came out to about $9,100 in one month!

That's an additional $5,100 profit gained. Think about that for a moment.

Guess what, less ended up being more. More respect from patients, more friends, more saving for patients, more profits for the provider, more good times for everyone.

When you remove the greed and "evil" persona that has plagued Marijuana, it's a damn good deal for everyone. The "experience" of a 'friend of a friend, blah, blah'
ultimately lead to a gathering of providers who talked about what should be done, and whether it would be in our benefit to help get this measure passed. It was a heavily debated issue for several hours, and almost everyone at the meeting wanted to keep the prices higher so they could make more to buy their next SUV and boat to tow behind it. They were blinded buy their immediate need and want of money to see that they were themselves loosing out, and didn't see how less cost == more sales.

It would not be $38 dollars an ounce, and here is why. Supply and demand. The largest consumer of said goods would be people who already buy it now. The demand is generally high, but the supply is lower and prices stay about the same, if not increase.

At best prices would be cut in half, but that's because the demand would go through the roof for the first state to make the switch. From harvest to professional production, distribution, and sales adds over head cost. (It's good to know a grower ;) Basically, everyone will get patient prices.

The first state on the West coast to DECRIMINALIZE and LEGALIZE it will no longer depend on the Fed to find a way to balance their budget. The overflow from all the surrounding states would be insane. When people in Nevada, Idaho, Montana, Arizona, and every other state east of this coast line, realize you can drive 8 hours to get a carton of joints for $150 of some good quality, expect the trucks to start rolling. No joke. Weekend trips west for lots of people. After that state makes billions of dollars, balances the budget, pay's off all it's debt, and stops depending on the fed for future development projects, all within a few years...every other state would follow suite.

I personally tried to explain this to the state's Governor, but he didn't want to hear it. I hope California does it, so I can call the Governor and tell him he's an idiot because California is going to take a $200,000,000+ industry right out of my state, being they're right next to each other. (That number is a rough guess assuming some folks I knew that made %1 of that with a medium sized patient base, and that's probably being generous).

As a person who has many friends in other states and has medical marijuana cards, I WISH TO GOD IT WAS DECRIMINALIZED AND I WAS REGULATED BECAUSE I DAMN WELL KNOW MY HOUSE WOULD BE PAID OFF IN 5 YEARS AS MY WHOLE YARD WOULD BE VERY, VERY GREEN.

(at no point have I admitted to anything other than I hold a legal medical marijuana cards and may or may not conduct legal transaction in my home state with registered patients).

Don't even get me started on Hemp.....errr....it's NOT THE SAME. In fact you try and keep the two far apart from each other. One can 'weaken' the other's quality.

Great post. Welcome to the Ron Paul Forums! :D

what took ya so long?

coastie
07-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Similar to what? As far as I know, northern california grows the best herb,........

I beg to differ on the "consensus" that norcal has the "best pot"...

Due to marijuana's current legal status, this is an impossible to prove assertion. Years ago I sampled some of norcal's finest, and smoked even better here in Florida. Shit I remember back in the summer of '95 I gotta hold of some stuff that NOBODY could take more than a hit or two of a joint, and you would catapult into orbit-hallucinations and all. We were even accused of "lacing" it with LSD(although LSD isn't smoke-able, doesn't work like that.) The buds were quite airy, so it was a pure Sativa of some sort, and some land race Sativa strains have tested in excess of 30% THC-without any human interference (i.e. selective breeding).

Its all in the genetics, not the geographic location(although that helps, but not to the degree that people seem to think it does).

Not trying to start a pissing contest over it, it just erks me that it's always ASSUMED that the best comes from Cali, when anyone in any state can say the same thing - and not really be able to prove it.

P.S. I took a year off, feels good to be back:cool:!

parocks
07-08-2010, 05:18 PM
You seem to know what you're talking about, what with "land race" and all.
I would guess that if you have good seeds, you're gonna have good pot. If you're a good grower, you might get a bigger plant, a better yield, but I'm guessing that the quality of the seed makes most of the difference.

I beg to differ on the "consensus" that norcal has the "best pot"...

Due to marijuana's current legal status, this is an impossible to prove assertion. Years ago I sampled some of norcal's finest, and smoked even better here in Florida. Shit I remember back in the summer of '95 I gotta hold of some stuff that NOBODY could take more than a hit or two of a joint, and you would catapult into orbit-hallucinations and all. We were even accused of "lacing" it with LSD(although LSD isn't smoke-able, doesn't work like that.) The buds were quite airy, so it was a pure Sativa of some sort, and some land race Sativa strains have tested in excess of 30% THC-without any human interference (i.e. selective breeding).

Its all in the genetics, not the geographic location(although that helps, but not to the degree that people seem to think it does).

Not trying to start a pissing contest over it, it just erks me that it's always ASSUMED that the best comes from Cali, when anyone in any state can say the same thing - and not really be able to prove it.

P.S. I took a year off, feels good to be back:cool:!

coastie
07-08-2010, 07:56 PM
You seem to know what you're talking about, what with "land race" and all.
I would guess that if you have good seeds, you're gonna have good pot. If you're a good grower, you might get a bigger plant, a better yield, but I'm guessing that the quality of the seed makes most of the difference.

1. Good genetics

2. Harvest timing

3. Drying/curing methods

4. How much it is handled. This should actually b closer to the top. I've seen people grow some "killa"out of seeds of the same shit people call Mexi shwag...that stuff has been compressed, shook and tumbled , incorrectly stored, etc. These are all factors that lead to the degradation of the buds, and the corresponding drop in potency;)

EDIT: The last sentence also explains why the cops are always saying that there's been an increase in potency:it's only because they're comparing tests of more commonly seized "trash weed" in the 70's to the MUCH MORE available present day better stuff...

.Tom
07-13-2010, 02:11 AM
Imagine what it will be like when mass production is allowed. Huge fields of cannabis, mass harvesting, industrial packaging, commercial marketing, sales at retail stores, etc.

Prices will be at least 100x cheaper than what they are now and we'll have a robust cannabis industry.

Can't wait till this happens for all drugs! :)

Ricky201
07-13-2010, 03:32 AM
:eek:

It's official. I'm moving to California.

Kind of odd that I'm thinking the same thing...I told myself I would never say the words "Well California looks like a good place live in".

Working Poor
07-13-2010, 03:47 AM
Just think of all the money spent on pot going to the other markets if the price were to go down. It would be like the people getting a bailout. It would probably lower prices of most goods and make our money worth more do you really think ole big brother is going to go for that?