PDA

View Full Version : Costa Rican Govt Approves US Occupation

Chieppa1
07-07-2010, 09:38 AM
There goes the fucking neighborhood. My family and I have a lot of our future invested in Costa Rica. That all changes now.

In another example of the growing militarization of the war on drugs, the Costa Rican government has given the US permission to launch an invasion of up to 7,000 Marines, ostensibly to “fight drugs.”

The vote was extremely controversial in Costa Rica’s legislature, with several MPs arguing that it gave he US a “blank check” to occupy the nation and was a threat to its sovereignty. Costa Rica has had no military of its own since its abolition in 1948.

Preceded by decades of on-again, off-again violence, the lack of a military has actually served the nation quite well over the past 62 years, and Costa Rica is one of the few nations in Central America not to face any violent uprisings or brutal dictatorships. The nation even celebrates a holiday, on December 1, called Military Abolition Day.

Indeed, it appears that the only reason the nation is in America’s sights at all is because it is geographically so narrow, and an occupation of it could provide a convenient choke-point for blocking drugs from South America reaching Mexico and eventually, the United States, by land.

Under the terms of the agreement, US troops “will enjoy freedom of movement and the right to carry out any activities needed to fulfill their mission.” In addition to the ground troops, the US will be deploying 46 warships and hundreds of helicopters.

http://news.antiwar.com/2010/07/06/costa-rican-govt-approves-us-occupation/

http://www.insidecostarica.com/dailynews/2010/july/03/costarica10070301.htm

http://www.military.com/news/article/costa-rica-to-allow-us-to-send-troops.html?col=1186032310810

johnrocks
07-07-2010, 09:40 AM
Is there a link to this?

TonySutton
07-07-2010, 09:50 AM
With 46 warships, does this mean the drugs are being moved via boat along the coast? It is the only thing which makes sense to me. Otherwise I would expect to see less warships and more Marines and aircraft.

Chieppa1
07-07-2010, 09:54 AM
With 46 warships, does this mean the drugs are being moved via boat along the coast? It is the only thing which makes sense to me. Otherwise I would expect to see less warships and more Marines and aircraft.

There is no drug problem in Costa Rica. But because of our war in Mexico, our "military intelligence" says that Costa Rica is a target. Since I've been visiting down there (15 years between my father and I), the only violence is gangs from OTHER countries. This is the first time the government is really opening up to foreign nations. The U.S. pretty much bullied its way into the country.

And who is going to ask us to leave when the 6 months is over? The country with no standing military? Bullshit. The economy is growing down there. China is trying to can influence. So now the U.S. has to go down and make it a warzone.

jkr
07-07-2010, 11:43 AM
well so much for that...

NewFederalist
07-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Will Belize be next?

Matt Collins
07-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Costa Rica has one of the most successful libertarian parties in the world.

Kotin
07-07-2010, 11:57 AM
This greatly saddens me.. I love costa rica, been there a couple times and going back this december.. This is bullshit.. I cannot believe thy would willingly cede their sovereignty to us.. Bah..

Chieppa1
07-07-2010, 12:06 PM
It ruins my family's plan to move there. My father is retiring his medical practice here of course. And he is good friends with the Health Department chairman. Even learning Spanish.

Chieppa1
07-07-2010, 12:07 PM

This. :(

dean.engelhardt
07-07-2010, 12:29 PM
American taxpayers provide a blank check to Costa Rica so the US military can have free reign? Talk about a lose-lose situation. Politicians sell out their people is going global.

Matt Collins
07-07-2010, 12:30 PM
This greatly saddens me.. I love costa rica, been there a couple times and going back this december.. This is bullshit.. I cannot believe thy would willingly cede their sovereignty to us.. Bah..
They didn't cede their sovereignty to us..... they ceded their sovereignty to the US Government. :(

Imperial
07-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Did the legislators from ML (Movimiento Libertario) vote for it? Last I heard ML had made a power-sharing agreement with the ruling party, but that there had been some friction between the two groups.

TonySutton
07-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Here is another view of the story where it is not talking about the military moving into the country rather it is talking about them being permitted shore leave. For those who do not know, shore leave is where a ship we pull into port and allow the sailors and Marines to enjoy liberty in the port, similar to how a cruise ship pulls into port. According to this article:

Such approvals are routine for U.S. vessels on anti-drug patrol, mostly in the Pacific. Only once did the legislature deny permission.

Here is the link:

http://www.amcostarica.com/

dannno
07-07-2010, 01:18 PM
I can't believe this is happening!! There are a lot of people who moved down there to surf and live in a relatively free society who are also going to be VERY upset!!

http://www.gvmnetwork.com/images/Costa-Rica-Surfing.jpg

http://images.magicseaweed.com/news/5985.jpg

Chieppa1
07-07-2010, 02:22 PM
This will change the society, economy and politics of the nation. And yes I heard there was opposition to this. I've actually thought about sending an email (sometimes they post them) to TicoTimes explaining what IMO will happen with the passage of this.

JeNNiF00F00
07-07-2010, 02:23 PM

Number19
07-07-2010, 04:34 PM
Still, if this legislative action only grants shore leave, this does puts the issue in a different light. Military personnel on shore leave will not be carrying weapons. They will essentially be "tourists" spending money. The ships and marines are already in the area, patrolling on the seas. The decision of the Costa Rican legislature does not alter or impact this. If the legislature were to deny this, Panama or another nation would get this economic stimulus. Leaving politics out of it, it's a sensible decision.

Chieppa1
07-07-2010, 04:59 PM
Still, if this legislative action only grants shore leave, this does puts the issue in a different light. Military personnel on shore leave will not be carrying weapons. They will essentially be "tourists" spending money. The ships and marines are already in the area, patrolling on the seas. The decision of the Costa Rican legislature does not alter or impact this. If the legislature were to deny this, Panama or another nation would get this economic stimulus. Leaving politics out of it, it's a sensible decision.

Its the politic and social changes that will come from U.S. influence that will create problems. You want to make a country dangerous? Have leaders of a Central American country that is openly fighting the Drug War with the U.S. Violence will go up.

It will never be the same down there. Its like Hawaii: We came for your bananas, now we own you.

Number19
07-07-2010, 05:13 PM
Its the politic and social changes that will come from U.S. influence that will create problems. You want to make a country dangerous? Have leaders of a Central American country that is openly fighting the Drug War with the U.S. Violence will go up.

It will never be the same down there. Its like Hawaii: We came for your bananas, now we own you.Good points. Excellent response.

dannno
07-07-2010, 06:09 PM
http://centralamerica.com/cr/surf/graphics/witsurfer6big.jpg

http://www.surf-costarica.com/images/large/sd-pandulce2-4-1-4.jpg

james1906
07-07-2010, 06:17 PM

If there's a silver lining, people in CR not attracted to libertarianism will be now. Hopefully the good Guevara becomes president.

YumYum
07-07-2010, 06:18 PM

All their parks are privately owned; not state owned, and they are the most pristine in the world.

JeNNiF00F00
07-07-2010, 06:57 PM
>:)

Toureg89
07-07-2010, 07:45 PM
wow... that country is literally surrounded by drug cartels, corrupted governments, and dictators, and it survives with no military. utterly amazing.

devil21
07-09-2010, 12:03 AM
Drug smuggling operation. Yeah right.

7000 US Marines, 40-something US warships for some drug traffickers?

YouTube - US military: Mercenaries for hire (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DzSpUx_HvY&feature=player_embedded)

michaelwise
07-09-2010, 12:19 AM
Nice. Every action that quickens the bankruptcy of the United States of America is most welcome. Congratulations Osama Bin Laden, Mission Accomplished.

libertybrewcity
07-09-2010, 12:51 AM
hmm, just another country to the list. next they will want to build a military base there. after this drugs will become a problem and the Us will want to send more troops in.

Oh yea, I wonder where we are getting the money for this?..