PDA

View Full Version : James Traficant has been disqualified in his bid to return to Congress

IPSecure
07-06-2010, 08:24 PM
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio — Former Ohio U.S. Rep. James Traficant has been disqualified in his bid to return to Congress after seven years in prison because he did not turn in enough valid petition signatures to make the fall ballot, a county elections official said Tuesday.
Link (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/07/06/rep-traficant-disqualified-comeback-bid-office/)

jkr
07-06-2010, 08:29 PM
what? how? why?

BlackTerrel
07-06-2010, 10:00 PM
Wow I'm absolutely shocked that the "Israel set me up" defense wasn't more popular :rolleyes: And people here were suggesting he run on a ticket with Ron Paul.

The elections board in Trumbull County ruled that more than 1,000 of the 3,138 petition signatures that Traficant turned in were invalid. Signatures were thrown out because signers did not live in the congressional district or were not registered to vote, among other reasons, board director Kelly Pallante said. As a result, Traficant came up 107 signatures short of the number needed to make the ballot, she said.

I guess all of Sofia's signatures weren't enough. For the record the fact that he couldn't get a couple thousand legit signatures shows him as a joke. I have never been involved in politics but with the help of Facebook and a couple of my friends I am confident I could get the requisite number of signatures. Either here or where I used to live in Atlanta.

WaltM
07-06-2010, 10:04 PM
at worst, wait another 2 years.

catdd
07-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Too bad, he's the best Democrat out there.

chadhb
07-06-2010, 10:45 PM
Wow I'm absolutely shocked that the "Israel set me up" defense wasn't more popular :rolleyes: And people here were suggesting he run on a ticket with Ron Paul.

I guess all of Sofia's signatures weren't enough. For the record the fact that he couldn't get a couple thousand legit signatures shows him as a joke. I have never been involved in politics but with the help of Facebook and a couple of my friends I am confident I could get the requisite number of signatures. Either here or where I used to live in Atlanta.

So you are on Facebook and you call someone else a joke.

0zzy
07-06-2010, 11:08 PM

"So you use the internet and you call someone else a joke."
whaT?

chadhb
07-06-2010, 11:10 PM
"So you use the internet and you call someone else a joke."
whaT?

I guess you just outed yourself, what a dork.

chadhb
07-06-2010, 11:15 PM
YouTube - Special ed - I got mail (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8dAz6hTXuU)

BlackTerrel
07-06-2010, 11:30 PM

Haha I can't even lie I am on Facebook 10 hours a day. I work from home and keep it open in the hopes of being distracted away from my work.

LittleLightShining
07-07-2010, 05:52 AM
Haha I can't even lie I am on Facebook 10 hours a day. I work from home and keep it open in the hopes of being distracted away from my work.
Me, too. At least we'll admit it ;)

specsaregood
09-01-2010, 09:51 PM
For the record the fact that he couldn't get a couple thousand legit signatures shows him as a joke.

I guess he isn't as much of a joke. They have re-ruled that he had enough valid signatures.

CLEVELAND (AP) — Outspoken former Democratic congressman Jim Traficant, who served time in federal prison for corruption, has fought his way back onto the Nov. 2 ballot to again run for a U.S. House seat — this time as an independent.

The Trumbull County elections board ruled Wednesday that Traficant, noted for his distinctive toupee and 1960s-style pants, had qualified for the ballot in northeast Ohio’s 17th district with 2,154 valid petition signatures, 11 more than required.

http://dailycaller.com/2010/09/01/ex-congressman-certified-for-nov-2-ballot-in-ohio/

Michigan11
09-01-2010, 09:56 PM
^^^^^

Hell Yeah! I like this guy. He is outspoken and doesn't take any shit.

johngr
09-02-2010, 04:47 AM

If Dr. Paul wins, he can still appoint Trafficant ambassador to Israel.

Seriously, Mr. Trafficant is lucky they could find a reason to disqualify him, otherwise, he'd have been whacked, like Anna Lindh, an extremely popular, up-and-coming (would have certainly been PM by now) israel-critical politician was here in Sweden

lynnf
09-02-2010, 05:44 AM

couldn't get a couple thousand legit signatures shows him as a joke

not really. I don't know for sure in this case, but usually the indies have to get signtures of people that didn't vote in either the Democrat or Republican primary. they are hard to find because they usually aren't on the voter rolls. also, many well-meaning signers actually DID vote and they get stricken off the list at the last minute. you can't just get 2,000 of your friends and their friends to sign your petition.

lynn

crazyfacedjenkins
09-02-2010, 09:29 AM
I guess he isn't as much of a joke. They have re-ruled that he had enough valid signatures.

http://dailycaller.com/2010/09/01/ex-congressman-certified-for-nov-2-ballot-in-ohio/

Good to hear! People should be more excited about Traficant, the fact that he was railroaded should be evidence alone that he is more of a threat than say Ron Paul. Christ, they even divided up his old district after they threw him in the pokey

BlackTerrel
09-02-2010, 05:41 PM
If Dr. Paul wins, he can still appoint Trafficant ambassador to Israel.

Seriously, Mr. Trafficant is lucky they could find a reason to disqualify him, otherwise, he'd have been whacked, like Anna Lindh, an extremely popular, up-and-coming (would have certainly been PM by now) israel-critical politician was here in Sweden

I don't know if you read specsaregood post right above yours but he wasn't disqualified.

Let's bump this soon and see if your prediction holds true.

SouthGeorgia61
09-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Good, we don't need people who just want to blame Israel for everything that has gone wrong.

oyarde
09-02-2010, 07:58 PM
I saw him interviewed shortly after he got out . I have to say , he appeared a bit deranged . Not that there are not already deranged people serving . If all we have is that I prefer a lottery system where everytwo years you pull a name out of a hat and send a new one .

oyarde
09-02-2010, 08:00 PM
If they taught the Constitution in schools , any avg. person would know why they should not be voting for the majority of the bills . And , they would understand the bills must be read before voting.

Anti Federalist
09-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Yeah, that story was from July.

He will be on the ballot.

CLEVELAND — Outspoken former Democratic congressman Jim Traficant, who served time in federal prison for corruption, has fought his way back onto the Nov. 2 ballot to again run for a U.S. House seat – this time as an independent.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/01/jim-traficant-convicted-felon-congressman_n_702710.html

Justinjj1
09-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Traficant is my second favorite politician, it's a shame he won't be returning to the House. I love how he spoke plainly and honestly about such taboo topics. Obviously some people on here dislike him for that very reason, and prefer milquetoast politicians that offer a watered-down version of liberty and suck up to the establishment and to the Israelis :cough: Rand Paul :cough:

Seriously, why couldn't the liberty movement have rallied around Traficant and helped him get the required signatures? He is waaaay better than Schiff, Rand, B.J. et.al.

EDIT: Disregard, I just read Anti-Federalists post.

DFF
09-02-2010, 08:34 PM
James Traficant is 5 flavors of awesome.

Kotin
09-02-2010, 08:41 PM
Good news!!!!

oyarde
09-03-2010, 01:50 PM
The guy was in congress 17 years , before that , he was director of the county drug program. I would think the people of Ohio would want something fresher than that .

Captain Bryan
09-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Awesome!

Mini-Me
09-03-2010, 10:28 PM
The guy was in congress 17 years , before that , he was director of the county drug program. I would think the people of Ohio would want something fresher than that .

If it's between a fresh empty suit and a stale old wildcard with brass balls and no fear who hates the government with a passion and will speak freely against it in the open House, I think I'd prefer the latter. :D We may not be totally aligned with Traficant politically, but he has the potential to stir things up...and things need to be stirred up.

Anti Federalist
09-03-2010, 11:24 PM
if it's between a fresh empty suit and a stale old wildcard with brass balls and no fear who hates the government with a passion and will speak freely against it in the open house, i think i'd prefer the latter. :d we may not be totally aligned with trafficant politically, but he has the potential to stir things up...and things need to be stirred up.

+1776

crazyfacedjenkins
09-03-2010, 11:54 PM
Traficant at End the Fed rally

YouTube - 1/3 James Traficant's Cleveland, Ohio End the Fed Rally Speech 11-22-09 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSXvM83BuuQ)

Imperial
09-04-2010, 12:27 AM
Sorry to inform ya'll of this, but Traficant will not win in November. He has no campaign infrastructure, has not really been campaigning, and has raised no money. He may get as high as 20%, but that would probably be around the ceiling.