PDA

View Full Version : Is this the best we can do? 49 Power Supporters?

mavtek
10-14-2007, 07:49 PM
My name is on the list, 49? Wow, all I can say there.

ItsTime
10-14-2007, 07:51 PM
huh?

frasu
10-14-2007, 08:14 PM
what is a power supporter?

richard1984
10-14-2007, 08:21 PM
I know this isn't the topic (whatever it is...), but:

Thomas Jefferson could beat Hillary!

You know that Thomas Jefferson was a big slave owner don't you? I doubt he'd win much of anything today. Yes, of course he did a lot of good, and he's got some great writings and quotes and so forth, but we shouldn't forget about such people's faults.

I think that's why this Freedom Movement is the real Freedom Movement, though. We've made a lot of progress as far as racism and slavery is concerned, you know?
That was a major, fundamental error of the original Freedom Movement.

Anyway, some people take Jefferson's racism and support of slavery pretty seriously, and have a difficult time getting over it.

Ron Paul is way more awesome than Thomas Jefferson. :cool:

(sorry, I just wanted to point that out)

mavtek
10-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Power supporters are supporters who sign up to this list to donate to the campaign weekly on Friday's. He was hoping to get 2500 or more so it would be a big weekly boost.

BLS
10-14-2007, 08:32 PM
somebody repost the power supporters thread.

I signed up too.

Roxi
10-14-2007, 08:33 PM
Power supporters are supporters who sign up to this list to donate to the campaign weekly on Friday's. He was hoping to get 2500 or more so it would be a big weekly boost.

HELLO link please ???? how are we supposed to sign up if u don't tell us where? what do you think we can actually go look for it ourselves???? ha ha

jk, i will but it would be nice to post it

steph3n
some have given too much to sign up for this :D

me3
Apparently it's been under promoted because most people don't know what it is, and I spend 4 hours a day reading and following Ron Paul and never heard of it.

It's like the website. That new tab with Eric Roth is supposed to be updated weekly and it's way over due for an update.

So now we all know about power supporters, let's get a link to where people sign up, and let's get it in our signatures so at least everyone on the forum knows and can tell their groups.

jrich4rpaul
10-14-2007, 08:40 PM
it's in my sig \/

atilla
10-14-2007, 08:44 PM
I know this isn't the topic (whatever it is...), but:

You know that Thomas Jefferson was a big slave owner don't you? I doubt he'd win much of anything today. Yes, of course he did a lot of good, and he's got some great writings and quotes and so forth, but we shouldn't forget about such people's faults.

I think that's why this Freedom Movement is the real Freedom Movement, though. We've made a lot of progress as far as racism and slavery is concerned, you know?
That was a major, fundamental error of the original Freedom Movement.

Anyway, some people take Jefferson's racism and support of slavery pretty seriously, and have a difficult time getting over it.

Ron Paul is way more awesome than Thomas Jefferson. :cool:

(sorry, I just wanted to point that out)

wrong wrong wrong.

richard1984
10-14-2007, 08:45 PM
wrong wrong wrong.

yeah? my apologies.
How so?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_jefferson#Jefferson_and_slavery

My africana studies teacher talked about T. J. and slavery the other day.

atilla
10-14-2007, 08:53 PM
yeah? my apologies.
How so?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_jefferson#Jefferson_and_slavery

My africana studies teacher talked about T. J. and slavery the other day.

your premise is wrong

"but we shouldn't forget about such people's faults",
'That was a major, fundamental error of the original Freedom Movement. "

a = a

mavtek
10-14-2007, 08:59 PM
Whoops sorry!

http://hstrial-abailey3.homestead.com/index.html

:)

Thomas Jefferson was a slave owner but many were at the time and his help was instrumental in the formation of this nation.

richard1984
10-14-2007, 09:31 PM
Whoops sorry!

http://hstrial-abailey3.homestead.com/index.html

Thomas Jefferson was a slave owner but many were at the time and his help was instrumental in the formation of this nation.

No doubt! He was awesome, and he did a great deal of good.

Still, there is that negative aspect. That's why I've said before (in another thread) that saying that Ron Paul is the new Thomas Jefferson might be harmful (since he's already sometimes accused of being a racist--you know those fools will do anything to make Dr. Paul look bad).

That's also why I said that this Freedom Movement is supperior to the previous one--we're not slave holders!!!

Is slavery not a bit anti-freedom? I mean, I'm not wrong about that am I? (referring to the atilla guy with the creepy Olsen twins picture--that previous post about my premise being wrong didn't make any since...at least to me...:rolleyes:)

Mani
10-14-2007, 09:40 PM
http://ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=23491

You can still be listed as a power supporter even if you've maxed out, if you've maxed out you ALREADY ARE a power supporter, there is a check box for that.

ronpaulsupport.com

I'm on there at #22 and I notice a couple people on the list from my local meetup. If you haven't seen the email before (in the first post of the linked thread) please forward it on to your meetup groups. Except modify the email (there's no min donation requirement).

We have so many meetup members there's no reason we can't find 2500 people to commit to a weekly donation.

Andrew76
10-14-2007, 10:04 PM
Thomas Jefferson owned slaves as did many many many people at that time. It was viewed as something necessary. Slavery also existed in ancient Greece - but is this reason to discount or devalue in any way, the contribution to western civilization by the Greeks? No.
No one I know, even the ones who know that Thomas Jefferson owned slaves, thinks "slavery = racism = Thomas Jefferson." Huh?
The issue is more philosophically complex than that since the social attitudes at that time were vastly different than those we have now. Times change, attitudes change/are corrected. Hell, women couldn't even vote. If Jefferson were alive today, he of course would not own slaves.
At any rate, I just don't think it's necessary to worry about any sort of negative connotations in associating T.J. with Ron Paul. You gotta wonder when you hear certain "intellectuals," getting all up in arms about the fact that T.J. owned slaves. Fine, he owned slaves. Many of the founders did too. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he also free his slaves? Just some things to consider.

richard1984
10-14-2007, 10:32 PM
Thomas Jefferson owned slaves as did many many many people at that time. It was viewed as something necessary. Slavery also existed in ancient Greece - but is this reason to discount or devalue in any way, the contribution to western civilization by the Greeks? No.
No one I know, even the ones who know that Thomas Jefferson owned slaves, thinks "slavery = racism = Thomas Jefferson." Huh?
The issue is more philosophically complex than that since the social attitudes at that time were vastly different than those we have now. Times change, attitudes change/are corrected. Hell, women couldn't even vote. If Jefferson were alive today, he of course would not own slaves.
At any rate, I just don't think it's necessary to worry about any sort of negative connotations in associating T.J. with Ron Paul. You gotta wonder when you hear certain "intellectuals," getting all up in arms about the fact that T.J. owned slaves. Fine, he owned slaves. Many of the founders did too. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he also free his slaves? Just some things to consider.

I wasn't trying to get "all up in arms" or anything, I just thought I'd point something out. Also, yeah, usually in the Americas "slavery = racism"--they usually went hand-in-hand.
And my Africana studies teacher (who is a real bad ass) probably wouldn't vote for someone who is compared to people who were slave owners (unless the comparison is clarified). A lot of people do still take slavery pretty seriously and are still sensitive to prejudice and racism (because they still have to deal with it).
I was just trying to calmly point that out.

But besides that, you support my main point: that the modern day Freedom Movement may be superior to the one that Thomas Jefferson was a part of, largely because of what you pointed out: we don't have that kind of slavery in America, now women can vote, etc.

I was really just trying to say that we have these advantages and it's cool. :cool:

saahmed
10-15-2007, 01:52 AM
Instead of making small donations every week I think it would be better to make one lump sum donation. It costs them money in transaction fees every time you donate. So the smaller the number of donations, the more money the campaign will actually have to spend. I don't think it makes a huge difference, but when you are talking thousands of transactions, it can add up.

Mani
10-15-2007, 07:22 PM
I don't think the idea is to make small donations every week instead of once a month.

I think the idea is to give as much as you can and do it every week.

I started out 9 months ago giving $100 once a quarter, then $100 a month, now I'm committing to $100 a week.

Everyone's situation is different.

runderwo
10-15-2007, 07:39 PM

Jefferson's writings show that while he owned slaves, it was out of concern for their well-being. At the time, a slave fared much better than a free black man. He treated them very well with an eye towards educating them so that they were capable of starting their own businesses once he freed them. I recall several staying even after they were freed because he treated them so well. No slave of Jefferson's recorded ill will towards him, but of course there is a sample bias there...

Fred McRomliani
10-15-2007, 08:03 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/46/T_Jefferson_by_Charles_Willson_Peale_1791_2.jpg/178px-T_Jefferson_by_Charles_Willson_Peale_1791_2.jpg
REPUBLICAN DEBATE 2007
Thomas Jefferson
Former Slave-owner

thomj76
10-15-2007, 08:11 PM
Maybe we can get Nancy P. to draft a non-binding resolution about this. :rolleyes:

Fred McRomliani...

:/

richk
10-15-2007, 08:32 PM
OK, Just signed up to be a Power Supporter. Also, new member here, have been lurking for several months and have been a Ron Paul fan for 4 or 5 five years (through the writings of the late and great Harry Browne).

Perhaps this should be promoted better, I had no idea of this until this OP.:confused:

Mani
10-16-2007, 10:31 PM
OK, Just signed up to be a Power Supporter. Also, new member here, have been lurking for several months and have been a Ron Paul fan for 4 or 5 five years (through the writings of the late and great Harry Browne).

Perhaps this should be promoted better, I had no idea of this until this OP.:confused:

Great job! We are up to 61. I agree, I think another promotional avenue needs to be looked at.

I know they started with hitting all the meetups, but maybe they didn't hit enough of them.

austin356
10-16-2007, 11:14 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/46/T_Jefferson_by_Charles_Willson_Peale_1791_2.jpg/178px-T_Jefferson_by_Charles_Willson_Peale_1791_2.jpg

Praise be to this man, the man who stood up for the little man against the leviathan.