PDA

View Full Version : Proposing a Magical Education Genie Solution

Live_Free_Or_Die
07-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Charity For Liberty

Goal:
Provide volunteer home repair labor assistance to poor individuals who are willing to attend free classes sponsored by the charity on Austrian economics and free markets.

The idea is now in the market. Will it go anywhere?

Travlyr
07-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Now that is funny! :D

This is a good idea that just might go somewhere. :cool:

roho76
07-06-2010, 03:42 PM
I likey. Is this already set up or is this someething that you want to get started?

Austrian Econ Disciple
07-06-2010, 03:42 PM
I like. Very much so.

Live_Free_Or_Die
07-06-2010, 04:03 PM
I likey. Is this already set up or is this someething that you want to get started?

The idea is not set up. I have other thoughts to contribute to it, structure, etc. Just floating it and seeing where the market takes it. If there is one thing I am confident in, it is the market and the fact there are smarter people in this world than me or other people with brilliant ideas to contribute.

CCTelander
07-06-2010, 04:03 PM
This is an outstanding idea. I was just working on a step-by-step plan for getting "from here to there" that includes many ideas of a similar nature. If I manage the get my procrastination demon handled, I'll post it.

Live_Free_Or_Die
07-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Anyone have any name suggestions for such a charity?

roho76
07-06-2010, 04:23 PM
Anyone have any name suggestions for such a charity?

Is either of the charities you mentioned in the first post, real?

How about the Austrian Education and Construction Volunteerism Network? This could be just like Habitat for Humanity without the fraud.

Live_Free_Or_Die
07-06-2010, 04:34 PM
Is either of the charities you mentioned in the first post, real?

It will be if we create it.

Danke
07-06-2010, 05:33 PM
This is brilliant!

I am a bit of a handyman and would love to work with others of like mind. I'm sure I could pitch this to my local group.

CCTelander
07-07-2010, 10:04 PM
This is still a great idea that deserves more attention.

CCTelander
07-12-2010, 11:23 AM
\\\

CCTelander
07-12-2010, 11:23 AM
No more than 6 people think this is a great idea?!?

Really?

Wow.

fisharmor
07-12-2010, 11:34 AM
I don't think it's a good idea.

I doubt that paying people to attend classes that cost money other people are spending is a functional model.

I doubt the wisdom in teaching economic lessons to people who aren't bright enough to fix their own plumbing.

I doubt that construction companies will be getting in line to donate leftovers to this group's storefronts the same way they do with Habitat.

I doubt that local, state, and federal entities will have much problem finding rule infractions and other excuses to shut down a group dedicated to castrating them.

Live_Free_Or_Die
07-12-2010, 12:16 PM
I doubt that paying people to attend classes that cost money other people are spending is a functional model.

I wonder if recipients of charity are more willing to be open minded. I wonder what the cost per head comparison would be between politics and charity. How many new people did the liberty movement get for 30 million plus dollars not including grass root spending or volunteer labor both in the campaign and grassroots?

I doubt the wisdom in teaching economic lessons to people who aren't bright enough to fix their own plumbing.

Habitat for Humanity requires attendance to mandatory orientation and 250 sweat equity hours for applicants. Many low income programs or charity have an education component. Educational component would likely be a diverse introduction to the liberty philosophy not just an economics course.

I doubt that construction companies will be getting in line to donate leftovers to this group's storefronts the same way they do with Habitat.

Probably not until it was a large operation. On the other hand never say never. Who knows, maybe Habitat would help a smaller charity out with excess materials in their local stores.

I doubt that local, state, and federal entities will have much problem finding rule infractions and other excuses to shut down a group dedicated to castrating them.

If you can mention that and maintain a straight face talking about politics as a vehicle to effect positive change.... you might be a good candidate.

Of course government has the guns and government will do what government wants to do. Is that going to be a liberty crutch or excuse for everything?

fisharmor
07-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Habitat for Humanity requires attendance to mandatory orientation and 250 sweat equity hours for applicants. Many low income programs or charity have an education component. Educational component would likely be a diverse introduction to the liberty philosophy not just an economics course.
Well, I didn't know this. Certainly makes it a viable model then.

If you can mention that and maintain a straight face talking about politics as a vehicle to effect positive change.... you might be a good candidate.

Of course government has the guns and government will do what government wants to do. Is that going to be a liberty crutch or excuse for everything?

I keep re-reading this and I'm not sure what you were going for. A good candidate for what?

I would actually get behind the idea, if it was convincing: these were just the top-of-my-head objections.
I would particularly like the idea if it incorporated some education in the amount of bullshit that goes on in the construction industry as a result of state interference. Like how houses are built like crap on purpose, because everybody assumes that in 50 years it'll be falling-down low-rent housing, and that new houses will have been built on a freshly paved patch of nature somewhere else.

Live_Free_Or_Die
07-14-2010, 05:22 PM
Well, I didn't know this. Certainly makes it a viable model then.

The the part of the education component I am struggling with is what is the balance?

If you are building a whole house like habitat it is easy peg a balance because you are doing a comparable amount of work with every house.

However in repair it varies drastically.

I keep re-reading this and I'm not sure what you were going for. A good candidate for what?

Politician. I was being my usual sarcastic self.

I would actually get behind the idea, if it was convincing: these were just the top-of-my-head objections.
I would particularly like the idea if it incorporated some education in the amount of bullshit that goes on in the construction industry as a result of state interference. Like how houses are built like crap on purpose, because everybody assumes that in 50 years it'll be falling-down low-rent housing, and that new houses will have been built on a freshly paved patch of nature somewhere else.

A business plan can say anything but that is the place to refine all of the ideas such as what the education should include and how everything should work.

I will start up the business plan discussion with something. Here is a start:

Executive Summary
_________ is a start-up not for profit social service agency founded upon the conviction people are more willing to be open minded to the liberty philosophy when when they experience the charity of others. The system of capitalism has produced the greatest wealth on earth and as a result the most generous and giving people on earth. The organization was founded by ___________ who has both the practical experience and the education to lead the organization. _______ is currently working on assembling a strong Board of Trustees which will be invaluable for the organization.

Services
_________ is an organization that helps financially struggling voters perform home repairs or maintenance with volunteer labor and trained supervision throughout America. Despite an abundance of charitable organizations and assistance available in the United States many struggling everyday Americans do not have access to financial assistance or charity due to the politics of establishing poverty eligibility guidelines. ________ will bring common sense solutions to help financially struggling voters in need of home repairs or maintenance.
_________ intends to partner with Austrian academics and economists from leading institutions such as Mises and Cato to develop educational resources enhancing the client application process. An important part of any charitable work is building the relationship between benefactors, donors, and volunteers. ________ provides clients with a six-course program that teaches them about money, business cycles, free markets, Austrian economics, and the Constitution. This collaborative approach to empowerment is the keystone to restoring confidence in American traditions of freedom.

The Market
__________ has identified two distinct market segments of customers based on need; those who are able to provide some or all materials needed for repairs and those who are not. The distinction is important during project planning because volunteer networks can respond quickly to the first segment while the latter requires coordination of additional resources or financial controls.
Management
__________ is the driving force behind the organization and*fills the Executive Director role.
1.1 Mission
_________ is an organization that helps financially struggling voters perform home repairs or maintenance with volunteer labor and trained supervision throughout America. Our services include property maintenance, structural repairs, and general cleaning.
1.2 Keys to Success
Build a strong, active Board of Trustees.
Ensure offered services*satisfy market needs.
Design and implement strict financial controls and transparent accountability.
1.3 Objectives
Secure sufficient funding, both start up*and operational.
Build a nationwide network of volunteers willing to donate time or professional skill.
Obtain grants and establish relationships with other foundations related to the mission.
Develop a strong Board of Trustees that can offer guidance, help with fundraising efforts, and oversee the smooth operation of the organization.

MelissaWV
07-14-2010, 05:24 PM
http://www.seductiongenie.com/affiliate/seduct_genie_lge.jpg

Live_Free_Or_Die
07-14-2010, 05:37 PM
http://www.seductiongenie.com/affiliate/seduct_genie_lge.jpg

no fair, your genie is sexier than my genie...