PDA

View Full Version : Why the GOP is a failure

Pauls' Revere
07-04-2010, 02:41 PM
http://original.antiwar.com/paul/2010/07/02/the-war-thats-not-a-war/

WASHINGTON – The embattled head of the GOP isn't getting an endorsement from Sen. John McCain.

McCain says party chairman Michael Steele's recent comments about the Afghanistan war are "wildly inaccurate" and inexcusable.

The Arizona Republican says Steele needs to assess whether he can still function in his job and must make "an appropriate decision" about his future.

At a recent GOP fundraiser, Steele called the U.S. commitment of troops in Afghanistan a mistaken "war of Obama's choosing."

The war began after the Sept. 11 attacks, when George W. Bush was president. McCain tells ABC's "This Week" that it's "America's war and we can't afford to fail."

First Steele has it right the Afghan War is a mistake, then discredits himself by calling it Obama's War.

Secondly, McCain proves that the GOP establishment is still the party of G.W. Bush neocon's who's views have not changed about the wars or our foreign policy.

They may as well support Obama and his surge in Afghanistan. Oh wait! that already happened...
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2009/10/11/Afghan-troop-surge-gets-GOP-support/UPI-10001255282698/

Where art thou Ron?

Please list your favorite reason(s)

Kregisen
07-04-2010, 04:33 PM
What happens if we "fail"?

I don't understand the propaganda that we "can't fail"....

If we "win" does that mean terrorists are gone forever? We'll never be attacked again? How do you win? By killing every single person that wants to kill us? How will you know when you've reached it?

I might be able to understand attacking them after 9/11 but seriously....9 years later and still hearing "we have to win"?

Awesome.

erowe1
07-04-2010, 05:26 PM
What happens if we "fail"?

I don't understand the propaganda that we "can't fail"....

If we "win" does that mean terrorists are gone forever? We'll never be attacked again? How do you win? By killing every single person that wants to kill us? How will you know when you've reached it?

I might be able to understand attacking them after 9/11 but seriously....9 years later and still hearing "we have to win"?

Awesome.

Also, if winning now means that we have to establish some condition where we can leave Afghanistan and they will remain indefinitely as a pro-American, anti-terror state (as our government defines those things) perpetually in our absence, then it's pretty much a given that we will never achieve that, and that any requirement that we stay until we win is the same thing as staying forever.

But then if winning means that we establish some condition in which we can leave, and if we do have to stay there forever without establishing that condition, then wouldn't that very situation (having to stay there forever) be the same thing as losing by definition?

Golding
07-04-2010, 05:31 PM
It's not complicated to see why the GOP is a failure. They represent a party that espouses small government, yet never lives up to their promises when elected. They've done it too many times for people not to notice it.

RM918
07-04-2010, 05:43 PM
The 'winning' thing is all propaganda that fits in with the Monday Night Football mentality of your standard blustering 'Patriotic' voter, and works very easily. The ignorance on display is overwhelming.

Pauls' Revere
07-04-2010, 07:02 PM
Ron Paul endores Steele's comments:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/07/04/ron-paul-endorses-michael-steeles-afghanistan-comments/?fbid=L4NXfUyRmye

“Michael Steele should not resign," Paul said in a statement sent to CNN. "Smart policies make smart politics. He is guiding the party in the right direction and we are on the verge of victory this fall. Chairman Steele should not back off. He is giving the country, especially young people, hope as he speaks truth about this war."

Pauls' Revere
07-04-2010, 07:04 PM
It's not complicated to see why the GOP is a failure. They represent a party that espouses small government, yet never lives up to their promises when elected. They've done it too many times for people not to notice it.

and why I fear there will again be no choice come 2012. :(

catdd
07-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Unless an economic collapse brings it all to an end, the country will still want to elect a pro war president in 2012.

TCE
07-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Ask McCain where we're going to get the money to fund these wars, I would like to see his answer.