PDA

View Full Version : "Searching has been disabled."

Mordechai Vanunu
10-14-2007, 04:24 PM
This is getting really annoying.

Taco John
10-14-2007, 04:28 PM
Bandwidth isn't cheap. The forum admins do what they can.

Question_Authority
10-14-2007, 04:31 PM
Bandwidth isn't cheap. The forum admins do what they can.

Can we all somehow pitch in and get more bandwidth?

ronpaulhawaii
10-14-2007, 04:33 PM
there are a few work arounds; I've been using the subscription tool to keep track of posts. You can google search with the "site:www.ronpaulforums.com" modifier

I agree that the admins are going to have to do something to keep up with the increasing traffic. I find it quite ironic when I can't find the search tool :eek: (and quite fitting that the "newposts tool", that foo loves so much, is disabled often too. Perhaps he should get rid of his announce post - :p )

JoshLowry
10-14-2007, 04:43 PM
We are currently interviewing a few applicants to help us with the server data transfer.

Search is disabled whenever we have high server loads to keep crashes to a minimum. Sorry about the inconvenience.

Bradley in DC
10-14-2007, 04:49 PM
do a google search for ronpaulforums.com and your search topic

Mordechai Vanunu
10-14-2007, 05:09 PM

I mainly use it for the New Posts feature, so I'm just going to have to be patient and wait for a server upgrade. I'll just try to limit my forum usage to late night hours when I know it is enabled.

angelatc
10-14-2007, 05:15 PM

That doesn't always seem to be up to date though. But I don't care - I'm happy to have these forums, and I doubt that Josh & Bryan are thrilled about having to watch it so diligently.

We'll get through it.

Matt Collins
10-14-2007, 08:58 PM
This is getting really annoying.Yes, this should've been fixed weeks, MONTHS ago. :rolleyes:

Bandwidth isn't cheap. The forum admins do what they can.Bandwidth has nothing to do with it. It's allocated server resources, specifically I've been told, RAM.

I don't know if the admins realize that there is an exponential amount of duplicate topics created every time the forum search is inhibited simply because people cannot search existing topics before they create a new thread on the very same subject.

I could've had this fixed months ago and have offered my help many times in the past. Are we sure the forum admins don't work for HQ? :confused:

bah
10-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Indeed, searching is very taxing on server resources. It isn't about bandwidth.

jmunjr
10-14-2007, 09:25 PM
I've offered to help. Ok I have helped indirectly. I am not sure what the problem is.. The server they HAD should have been more than capable to handle this forum and its small # of users. Soemthing must not be set up right or configured properly. Caching of php scripts and MySQL is a big help...