PDA

View Full Version : How bad is Hannity?

Kregisen
07-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Here's the deal. We all hate hannity. Obvious reasons are foreign policy and the drug war....

My parents still love him and I'm trying to change their minds.

What else does hannity support that I could use to turn them against him?

Looking for anything big-government he supports, besides the wars and the drug war.

(I'm trying to get them to support Ron, I've already gotten them to hate romney and huckabee, and even palin now....but they're still very pro-war)

heavenlyboy34
07-02-2010, 08:13 PM
If your folks take the Founder's warning against standing armies seriously, point out that Hannity kisses arse to standing armies daily.

specsaregood
07-02-2010, 08:34 PM
I'd just keep reminding them that every single additional power or limiting of people's rights that he supported for Bush.....is now in the hands of Obama.

sofia
07-02-2010, 08:44 PM
you'll have a better chance of converting your folks by turning them on to the shocking collapse of WTC 7 and 9/11 truth ...

from there, everything else is easy to expose as fake.....(including Hannity)

show them this 2 minute video and see what they think....a lot easier to grasp than Austrian Economics

WTC7 - This is an Orange (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3898962504721899003#)

Imperial
07-02-2010, 08:59 PM
Did Hannity support the Tom Delay Medicare drug prescription program? That would be a good one if he did, but I can't find anything about it.

charrob
07-02-2010, 09:06 PM
patriot act, indefinite detentions, wiretapping...
torture
free trade pacts like nafta, wto
billions each year given to countries overseas in "aide"
against gay marriage
generally trying to imbed Christianity into gov't
generally trying to push the Christian Right's "morals" and "values" into people's personal lives (i.e. like when Bush intruded on that family in Florida where the woman was comatose) or when Bush tried putting that marriage "should be between a man and woman" into the U.S. Constitution.

these are all possibilities since most neocons support these, but not sure specifically about hannity.

freedoms-light
07-02-2010, 09:35 PM
you'll have a better chance of converting your folks by turning them on to the shocking collapse of WTC 7 and 9/11 truth ...

show them this 2 minute video and see what they think....a lot easier to grasp than Austrian Economics

WTC7 - This is an Orange (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3898962504721899003#)

I'm convinced their state of brainwashing does not allow for the reality of that video.
Like they mentally filter out its reality or something...

This kind of describes what I think may be happening...

For all of us, our worlds are an interaction between our perceptions and physical “reality.” Our perceptions are molded and channeled by our interpretations, attitudes and assumptions about what is real and what is possible.

When Charles Darwin and the crew of the H.M.S. Beagle anchored off the shore of Patagonia, they discovered the natives living there literally could not see the ship. Though the Beagle was only a quarter of a mile offshore, the natives could not imagine such a large vessel. Though they could perceive the smaller boats in which the crew rowed to shore, for the natives — the Beagle did not exist!’

For many years, people were convinced that running a mile in four minutes was “impossible.” After Roger Bannister broke the barrier, many more people followed course. Despite the old cliche that “Seeing is believing,” it often seems more the case that people “see what they believe” rather than “believing what they see” (and similarly for what we “hear” and “feel”).

Kregisen
07-02-2010, 10:17 PM

Damn there are a lot of truthers on this site.

I was very open-minded when I watched all these videos but also saw many debates between truthers and non-truthers....and the truthers got owned pretty badly.

The reason why so many people thought Ron Paul was crazy is because of conspiracy theorists who publicly supported Ron.

Andrew-Austin
07-02-2010, 10:19 PM

lol no, not really, in fact your chances will probably become a lot worse.

John Taylor
07-02-2010, 10:33 PM
If your folks take the Founder's warning against standing armies seriously, point out that Hannity kisses arse to standing armies daily.

Starting an argument with neo-conservatives by saying that "we shouldn't have a standing army" isn't a wise strategy. That will just shut down their reptilian brains and transform them into hippie-haters who will simply ignore you and envision you wearing flower-pattern clothes and smoking pot.

John Taylor
07-02-2010, 10:34 PM

I was very open-minded when I watched all these videos but also saw many debates between truthers and non-truthers....and the truthers got owned pretty badly.

The reason why so many people thought Ron Paul was crazy is because of conspiracy theorists who publicly supported Ron.

Don't worry about them buddy. Chandler? I'm really close by. You a PC?

Kregisen
07-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Starting an argument with neo-conservatives by saying that "we shouldn't have a standing army" isn't a wise strategy. That will just shut down their reptilian brains and transform them into hippie-haters who will simply ignore you and envision you wearing flower-pattern clothes and smoking pot.

Yup they're neo-conservatives and I don't wanna bring up the foreign policy issue....that will only alienate them more from ron, I wanna focus on every other issue. They love him on most things.

GunnyFreedom
07-02-2010, 11:01 PM
patriot act, indefinite detentions, wiretapping...
torture
free trade pacts like nafta, wto
billions each year given to countries overseas in "aide"
against gay marriage
generally trying to imbed Christianity into gov't
generally trying to push the Christian Right's "morals" and "values" into people's personal lives (i.e. like when Bush intruded on that family in Florida where the woman was comatose) or when Bush tried putting that marriage "should be between a man and woman" into the U.S. Constitution.

these are all possibilities since most neocons support these, but not sure specifically about hannity.

if you take that rhetoric you will drive more people away than attract. your ordinary Christian will conclude you are mocking them, saying Christians are immoral and their values have no place in 'your' society. They will be repulsed and retreat into dogma and never seriously consider the liberty platform again. you can make the exact same argument by flipping it on it's head without offending people, however.

Bush put the government deeper into the church business, by further regulating the provinces of religion such as marriage and morality, by picking and choosing which Christian charities would survive or fail, and by insinuating the churches into helping the government oppress freedom of thought through "clergy response teams" to be called up in any state of emergency to try and guilt Christians into obeying the government rather than God.

The government has no more business telling the church what to do than it has telling God what to do. The creature biting the hand of the creator is the unintended consequence of mixing religion with politics, it's a kind of blasphemy, and this is why our founders so overwhelmingly opposed allowing the government to be set over and above the church.

will be a LOT more effective at reaching believers, and nonbelievers will just shrug at it as irrelevant to them without actually getting offended.

The way you phrased the argument above, I got this sense of "believers do not belong in MY society" whether you intended that or not, and that will create more enemies than friends, IMHO. :)

Orgoonian
07-02-2010, 11:15 PM

Yea,it was those damm "truthers"that cost Dr.Paul the nomination:rolleyes:

Kregisen
07-02-2010, 11:20 PM

It didn't cost him the nomination, it did make him look like a nut to many people though.

Don't put words in my mouth. ;)

GunnyFreedom
07-02-2010, 11:23 PM

Regardless of any given position on 9/11, perhaps you should take the word of someone who actually thought Ron Paul was crazy in 2008 (on account of his more outspoken truther supporters) for what it's actually worth instead of dismissing it out of hand as idle conjecture. From what I can see, Kregisen is not speculating, he is relating first hand experience from within his own political circle circa 2008. I am guessing that just ignoring this bit of intelligence is unwise as we prepare for battle in 2012.

Live_Free_Or_Die
07-02-2010, 11:27 PM

Truther's shot themselves in the foot putting to much focus on what they couldn't prove versus what they could easily disprove in the official report.

Let it be a lesson. Don't worry about speculating and what you think could have happened. Focus only on the errors in the official report or claim.

angelatc
07-02-2010, 11:29 PM

Yes, they have a terrible time separating their agenda from his agenda.

Orgoonian
07-02-2010, 11:36 PM
Regardless of any given position on 9/11, perhaps you should take the word of someone who actually thought Ron Paul was crazy in 2008 (on account of his more outspoken truther supporters) for what it's actually worth instead of dismissing it out of hand as idle conjecture. From what I can see, Kregisen is not speculating, he is relating first hand experience from within his own political circle circa 2008. I am guessing that just ignoring this bit of intelligence is unwise as we prepare for battle in 2012.

Gonna drop this Gunny,happy 4th to you,and yours:D

GunnyFreedom
07-03-2010, 12:15 AM
Gonna drop this Gunny,happy 4th to you,and yours:D

lol thank you sir!

I wasn't trying to incite an argument, just trying to take a tactical and strategic view. It was an intell guy in the jarhead corps so it becomes a natural position to default to.

Have a great 4th yourself! :)

Kregisen
07-03-2010, 12:28 AM
I'm not at all trying to be a jerk to truthers, I'm just saying the only people who can tolerate them are fellow libertarians like us, not the other 90% of republicans.

For the sake of Ron Paul, keep your 9/11 beliefs back until they start supporting him.

It just scares them off otherwise.

specsaregood
07-03-2010, 12:41 AM
When Charles Darwin and the crew of the H.M.S. Beagle anchored off the shore of Patagonia, they discovered the natives living there literally could not see the ship. Though the Beagle was only a quarter of a mile offshore, the natives could not imagine such a large vessel. Though they could perceive the smaller boats in which the crew rowed to shore, for the natives — the Beagle did not exist!’

You don't really believe that do you? I've heard that claim, I'm not buying it. They didn't have to "imagine such a large vessel", because it was there in real life. They might not have known it was a ship, but they saw the entity.

TheDriver
07-03-2010, 12:42 AM
I like Hannity. I don't agree with him on everything but he is easy to hit with snowballs.

fela
07-03-2010, 03:12 AM
I was also led to believe Ron Paul was crazy back in '08 due to all the 'truthiness' that seemed to be surrounding him. But of course, this was the long ago time where I still believed in warmongering in the Middle East and the political and media hacks in D.C.

I was ignorant but then I saw the light!

JeNNiF00F00
07-03-2010, 03:25 AM

paulpwns
07-03-2010, 03:25 AM
You can't criticize big government at home, then apply massive government overseas. We are broke. We can't afford it. Harp on the debt. Eventually it will end because we can't afford it.

JeNNiF00F00
07-03-2010, 03:26 AM

JohnEngland
07-03-2010, 03:40 AM
Here's the deal. We all hate hannity. Obvious reasons are foreign policy and the drug war....

Not meaning to be pedantic, but I think "hate" is the wrong word. I wouldn't hate someone for having different political views. Sure, Hannity is wrong about various things, especially foreign policy, but I don't hate him for it.

JeNNiF00F00
07-03-2010, 03:42 AM

BuddyRey
07-03-2010, 10:11 AM
I'm pretty sure Hannity supported the bailouts, at least at first. That should be enough to alienate any honest fiscal conservative.

erowe1
07-03-2010, 11:08 AM

Looking for anything big-government he supports, besides the wars and the drug war.

(I'm trying to get them to support Ron, I've already gotten them to hate romney and huckabee, and even palin now....but they're still very pro-war)

I remember him talking about Rand's comments about the Civil Rights Act (back when Rand was against it before he was for it). And Hannity kept throwing in this comment about how Rand was against it because he's a libertarian and not a conservative. I saw that as Hannity pretty much giving away that he's as much of a mushy moderate with no basic principles as any moderate he may rail against on any given occasion, and any time he encounters anyone more conservative than he is, he'll try to turn it around to him being the conservative one and paint the person to his right as being just too conservative to be a conservative, ergo a libertarian.

I also remember a time he had Jeb Bush on his show when he was governor and it was right after a hurricane (maybe Hurricane Charley in 2004? I forget.). And Hannity was telling him to go after those price gougers down there in Florida and throw the book at them. I was yelling at the radio. Even though I didn't have super high expectations of Hannity, I at least expected him back then to be for free markets enough not to say something that stupid. Then I happened to hear him make a side comment on his show a couple years later that he didn't believe there was any such thing as price gouging. That told me that somebody must have gotten to him and cleared things up on that issue. It also told me that he didn't have a clue what he was talking about most of the time.

Those probably aren't big enough issues to sway your parents. I guess you just have to make a cumulative case over a long time. But in order to do that, your parents have to be committed enough to free markets to notice when those things happen. So maybe a better approach, rather than nitpick at Hannity for them would be to try to convince them to get more educated about free market economics. Maybe try to get them to read Economics in One Lesson, or watch Friedman's miniseries Free to Choose. Once they realize that they understand that stuff better than Hannity does, they won't worship him any more. And eventually, it will get to the point where just listening to him turns their stomachs.

bunklocoempire
07-03-2010, 11:49 AM

Don't hate the sinner, hate the sin, even in Hannitys case.;)

Are your folks Christian?

Boastful pride, fear and doubt, have no place in a Christians life. Including fear of Muslims, pride of "America can do no wrong", and doubt of Gods ability to protect without us relying on foreign alliances -all of which Hannity constantly preaches.:mad:

IMO, foreign policy is THE best thing to concentrate on.

Take your folks through a study of the Old Testament, specifically I & II Kings, which shows clearly how fear/pride/doubt coupled with foreign alliances (entaglements) led a God established nation to destruction and captivity ala Assyria and Babylon.

Show them how even "Gods people" in the OT chose to rely on foreign alliances rather than faith in God and courage -to their own destruction.

As far as Christians go, the Old Testament is the most damning evidence of foreign entaglements you could ever hope to find, you just have to get your nose in the Book.:)

Bunkloco

Kregisen
07-03-2010, 01:44 PM
I'm pretty sure Hannity supported the bailouts, at least at first. That should be enough to alienate any honest fiscal conservative.

I remember him talking about Rand's comments about the Civil Rights Act (back when Rand was against it before he was for it). And Hannity kept throwing in this comment about how Rand was against it because he's a libertarian and not a conservative. I saw that as Hannity pretty much giving away that he's as much of a mushy moderate with no basic principles as any moderate he may rail against on any given occasion, and any time he encounters anyone more conservative than he is, he'll try to turn it around to him being the conservative one and paint the person to his right as being just too conservative to be a conservative, ergo a libertarian.

I also remember a time he had Jeb Bush on his show when he was governor and it was right after a hurricane (maybe Hurricane Charley in 2004? I forget.). And Hannity was telling him to go after those price gougers down there in Florida and throw the book at them. I was yelling at the radio. Even though I didn't have super high expectations of Hannity, I at least expected him back then to be for free markets enough not to say something that stupid. Then I happened to hear him make a side comment on his show a couple years later that he didn't believe there was any such thing as price gouging. That told me that somebody must have gotten to him and cleared things up on that issue. It also told me that he didn't have a clue what he was talking about most of the time.

If I get sources for these, that would help a LOT.

Are your folks Christian?

Yeah they are. That's actually a very interesting view point of the war, never thought of it before.

Thanks for all the help everyone - and by all means, keep the dirt on hannity coming!

erowe1
07-03-2010, 02:43 PM
If I get sources for these, that would help a LOT.

I'm 100% sure about both things I said. But it was just on his show. I have no way of figuring out which exact day those things were. And even if I did, I couldn't tell you how to get transcripts or recordings of the shows from those days. I know it can be done, because any time the media wants to find something one of those guys said a long time ago they have ways of doing it (such as when Rush admitted his drug problem and they found some old quote of his about prosecuting prescription drug addicts). But it couldn't possibly be worth your trouble to do that just for quotes of Hannity saying that Rand's alleged opposition to the CRA is not conservative and that price gouging is bad.

I really think the way to go is to direct your parents to something positively educational for them, rather than anti-Hannity. Let them come around gradually, rather than trying to shoot them with some silver bullet.

specsaregood
07-03-2010, 02:55 PM
I really think the way to go is to direct your parents to something posiitively educational for them, rather than anti-Hannity. Let them come around gradually, rather than trying to shoot them with some silver bullet.

If Jason Lewis is on the air in your area, it would be a nice counter argument to the hannity. He did a couple hours backing up Steele and talking shit about the neocons and the afghanistan war last night.

http://www.ktlkfm.com/cc-common/podcast/single_podcast.html?podcast=jasonlewis.xml

Last nights:
Fri, 02 Jul 2010
Hour 1
A battle is brewing between Michael Steele and GOP media members. Jason agrees with Michael Steele and his take on the Afghanistan war. Calls get intense on this Friday show heading into the Fourth of July weekend.
http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/18227/podcast/MINNEAPOLIS-MN/KTLK-FM/LEWIS070210_1st%20Hr%20Steele%20v%20Kristol.mp3?CP ROG=PCAST&MARKET=MINNEAPOLIS-MN&NG_FORMAT=&SITE_ID=3359&STATION_ID=KTLK-FM&PCAST_AUTHOR=100.3_KTLK-FM&PCAST_CAT=talk&PCAST_TITLE=Jason_Lewis_on_100.3_KTLK-FM

Hour 2:
Jason continues the conversation from the first hour. What's the plan for Afghanistan? Who's war is it anyway? Are Republicans who are against the effort in Iraq and Afghanistan un-patriotic?
http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/18227/podcast/MINNEAPOLIS-MN/KTLK-FM/LEWIS070210_2nd%20Hr%20War%20Plan.mp3?CPROG=PCAST&MARKET=MINNEAPOLIS-MN&NG_FORMAT=&SITE_ID=3359&STATION_ID=KTLK-FM&PCAST_AUTHOR=100.3_KTLK-FM&PCAST_CAT=talk&PCAST_TITLE=Jason_Lewis_on_100.3_KTLK-FM

Smitty
07-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Anyone who is continuing to deny the reality of America's crisis is doing so out of fear.

The talking heads on TV, Hannity included, are being paid to perpetuate the illusion that the situation is fixable.

Those who are too weak to face reality will cling to that illusion until reality is forced upon them directly,..and they will exhibit anger towards anyone who attempts to shake them loose from the illusion.

To sum up,...don't waste your time trying to tell people about Hannity and his ilk.

If they haven't figured it out by now, it's because they choose *not* to.

Kregisen
07-03-2010, 04:34 PM
To sum up,...don't waste your time trying to tell people about Hannity and his ilk.

If they haven't figured it out by now, it's because they choose *not* to.

Disagree 100%. If we don't educate others we won't bring more into the liberty movement. I've already "converted" several people to not supporting Ron Paul, and I've gotten my parents against Romney, Huckabee and Palin now.

Over the next 2 years I think I can bring them into the liberty movement, but it won't be easy.