PDA

View Full Version : Oakland, ready for a riot?

WaltM
07-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Oscar Grant supporters are scaring the city!

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/07/02/subway.shooting/index.html?hpt=T1

Anti Federalist
07-02-2010, 05:24 PM
Oscar Grant supporters are scaring the city!

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/07/02/subway.shooting/index.html?hpt=T1

If that fucking cop that executed that kid walks, "they" damn well ought to riot.

'Course that CNN piece is shit, with all the proper "code words" designed to make one side dismiss the story and the other to get in an impotent rage over.

"Racially charged" being one of those code phrases.

Fuck race, this is about a cop who executed, by a shot to the back of the head, an unarmed and restrained citizen.

libertybrewcity
07-02-2010, 06:14 PM
i do hope they riot.

squarepusher
07-02-2010, 06:26 PM
sounds like cold blooded murder, from what i briefly read

Anti Federalist
07-02-2010, 06:30 PM
sounds like cold blooded murder, from what i briefly read

See and decide for yourself

YouTube - BART Shooting New Angle - This Cop is so Screwed - SHARE VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR_B38Vh6QE)

YouTube - POLICE SHOOTING AT BART STATION - OSCAR GRANT (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmJukcFzEX4)

Petar
07-02-2010, 06:42 PM
The officer says that he meant to use his tazer, and that he used his gun on accident.

I have to say that I believe him.

Therefore, I don't think that the guy should be convicted of murder, though maybe manslaughter.

Also, I think that riots would be pretty senseless.

Anti Federalist
07-02-2010, 06:45 PM
The officer says that he meant to use his tazer, and that he used his gun on accident.

Therefore, I don't think that the guy should be convicted of murder, though maybe manslaughter.

Yeah right, and the Easter Bunny brought me some colored eggs last April.

james1906
07-02-2010, 06:47 PM
If they riot, will they burn down and loot small businesses or will they actually go for the centers of power? TPTB don't give two shits if some Korean liquor store goes under. The LA riots were so misguided.

Also for irony, LA at the time of the 1992 riots and Oakland currently have black mayors.

squarepusher
07-02-2010, 06:51 PM
police can't tell the difference between a taser and a gun?!?

puppetmaster
07-02-2010, 07:02 PM
he says "fuck this" draws and shoots.....needs murder 2.....
He did not need to even use "less than lethal" in this circumstance.
And if they do riot, I hope they leave the private buildings alone.
but I think he gets convicted and then happy riots happen.....

Philhelm
07-02-2010, 07:04 PM
if that fucking cop that executed that kid walks, "they" damn well ought to riot.

'course that cnn piece is shit, with all the proper "code words" designed to make one side dismiss the story and the other to get in an impotent rage over.

"racially charged" being one of those code phrases.

Fuck race, this is about a cop who executed, by a shot to the back of the head, an unarmed and restrained citizen.

+1984

Pericles
07-02-2010, 07:32 PM
If that fucking cop that executed that kid walks, "they" damn well ought to riot.

'Course that CNN piece is shit, with all the proper "code words" designed to make one side dismiss the story and the other to get in an impotent rage over.

"Racially charged" being one of those code phrases.

This /\ There is no excuse for shooting a restrained person - none.

jmdrake
07-02-2010, 07:36 PM
If they riot, will they burn down and loot small businesses or will they actually go for the centers of power? TPTB don't give two shits if some Korean liquor store goes under. The LA riots were so misguided.

Also for irony, LA at the time of the 1992 riots and Oakland currently have black mayors.

A lot of people don't realize what caused the anger at the Korean store owners. A year before a Korean grocer had shot and killed an unarmed teenager in a dispute over a bottle of orange juice. The girl that was shot had put the orange juice down and was walking out when she was shot in the back of the head. Unfortunately this was the before the days of YouTube so I can't post the video. But he's a newspaper article about the incident.

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-03-22/local/me-656_1_korean-community

The riots were counterproductive for sure, but I understand the anger.

james1906
07-02-2010, 07:47 PM
A lot of people don't realize what caused the anger at the Korean store owners. A year before a Korean grocer had shot and killed an unarmed teenager in a dispute over a bottle of orange juice. The girl that was shot had put the orange juice down and was walking out when she was shot in the back of the head. Unfortunately this was the before the days of YouTube so I can't post the video. But he's a newspaper article about the incident.

I remember that. I also remember it was a judge who only gave the woman 5 years probation. It was the state they should have been angry at.

osan
07-02-2010, 07:49 PM

I surely hope that pig takes it in the shorts as he so richly deserves, but rioting in the customary manner won't accomplish anything good. If they target police precincts, then I may agree with such action. But if I lived in a shithole like Oakland and a mob came to ruin my house, I would be shooting those assholes down like vermin until either they got some religion or I ran out of bullets. That is the problem with this sort of behavior - innocent people always take the short end of it. Look at what the imbeciles did in the Rodney King case - understandably pissed off people took out their ghetto rage on each other and people such as that trucker whom they nearly murdered. Fuck those assholes - they are as bad as the good for nothing cops.

Not to the people gearing up to riot. For them it is about nothing but race, rest you assured.

eOs
07-02-2010, 07:50 PM

Seems like a reasonable explanation, lately officers have been using tasers whenever the hell they feel like it--even with restrained suspects-- we'll see if he can prove that in court. That's one hell of an expensive mistake.

osan
07-02-2010, 07:51 PM
i do hope they riot.
Easy for you to say. You probably do not stand to see your house burn to the ground. Honestly, you should consider what it is you are hoping for. I suspect those people whose houses and maybe even lives stand to be lost would disagree with you. I don't think they deserve to take the brunt for acts committed by a homicidal pig (redundant, I know).

Live_Free_Or_Die
07-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Any riot should focus on the offending government agency or property and not private property of innocent members of the community.

osan
07-02-2010, 08:05 PM

You believe him? Are you serious? Have you ever looked as a taser? It is shaped nothing like the typical sidearm that most cops carry. It doesn't feel the same in the hand. I would also point out that in the video the kid is completely under control, so what possible justification is there to use the taser? Answer: none whatsoever.

I don't believe a word of it - the claim doesn't track. But if it is true, his incompetence should earn him at least 20 years as a pass-around girl at Folsom. If YOU committed such a mistaken act, your ass would be toast, no questions asked.

Agreed. The only people who will pay are the innocents. The cops will hole up in their precincts and wait the storm out. Mass assassination of police.... that I might be on board with. :)

jmdrake
07-02-2010, 08:23 PM
I remember that. I also remember it was a judge who only gave the woman 5 years probation. It was the state they should have been angry at.

Toche'.

eOs
07-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Mass assassination of police.... that I might be on board with. :)

Yea, your house is getting raided.

Austrian Econ Disciple
07-02-2010, 08:59 PM
Lets just say that my course of action I'd take if this happened in my city would be confrontational. Why do the people not resist this militarized occupation? The cops today are not different than British soldiers in the 1770s. They fulfill the same duties, and do the same shit. In fact, I'm more inclined to believe that it is far worse today, and far more people die per capita, and more freedom lost than anything the Brits did. This is so fucked up. RESIST.

Then again the people of Oakland and California are so fucking stupid they voted to disarm themselves. Fucking idiots.

BlackTerrel
07-02-2010, 09:06 PM
This absolutely was cold blooded murder.

michaelwise
07-02-2010, 09:08 PM
I'm sick and tired of the police we hire to work for us stomping us into the ground. I'm not going to make a determination on this case because I don't know the details, but I get the jist of the issue. All I have to say about it is, If cops don't want to work for me in a humane way, then get rid of them period.

WaltM
07-02-2010, 09:08 PM

I have a hard time believing a policeman would intentionally want to shoot and kill a person, and think he can go unpunished. he might not have accidentally just picked the wrong tool, but it might be something in between.

Austrian Econ Disciple
07-02-2010, 09:32 PM
Hey, wheres John Taylor at? He should be in here screaming for the police to be electrocuted...

Anti Federalist
07-02-2010, 09:39 PM
Not to the people gearing up to riot. For them it is about nothing but race, rest you assured.

Yeah, I know...

But it fucking shouldn't be. :mad:

Brian4Liberty
07-02-2010, 09:39 PM
Even the witnesses for the prosecution (including those who took video) testified at the trial that it appeared to be accidental. He may get manslaughter.

cindy25
07-02-2010, 09:51 PM
I wonder if it will spread beyond Oakland. LA, Detroit, even Chicago seem ready to explode, high unemployment, declining standard of living. perfect riot conditions

Anti Federalist
07-03-2010, 12:18 PM
bump for updates?

DirtMcGirt
07-03-2010, 12:28 PM
I'm pretty sure the jury reconvenes on Tuesday July 6...

Brian4Liberty
07-03-2010, 12:34 PM
bump for updates?

The BART station and many businesses have already boarded up their windows. Seems like the jury won't be back until after the holiday though (Tues), so they will be boarded up for a while.

Dr.3D
07-03-2010, 12:40 PM

And since when do they use a taser on the back of someone's head? Is that common practice now?

Anti Federalist
07-03-2010, 12:57 PM
And since when do they use a taser on the back of someone's head? Is that common practice now?

Yes, that.

Either, what happened here has no excuse, none.

anaconda
07-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Sadly, this will be just another incident that gets turned into left-right paradigm bullshit, when in fact it should be a Liberty vs. police state tyranny. This is a non-partisan issue.

RideTheDirt
07-03-2010, 02:02 PM
I say throw him to the crowd:P

JustinTime
07-03-2010, 05:24 PM
This /\ There is no excuse for shooting a restrained person - none.

Or tazering them, it irks me that his lame excuse is even considered an excuse.

JustinTime
07-03-2010, 05:25 PM

Get alla dem Ko-rians!

catdd
07-03-2010, 06:00 PM
I say throw him to the crowd:P

+1

osan
07-04-2010, 10:21 AM
Yeah, I know...

But it fucking shouldn't be. :mad:

Roger that.

osan
07-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Any riot should focus on the offending government agency or property and not private property of innocent members of the community.

Sure, but when is the last time they did?

osan
07-04-2010, 10:25 AM
This absolutely was cold blooded murder.

Agreed. If this cop get off, hang on to your asses because life in Oakland is going to get bumpy.

Fredom101
07-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Oakland historically does not riot. I'm kind of from there. It's a different place than LA. People are likely fed up but I think most will turn to politicians to solve the problems instead of taking into their own hands. I really hope this guy gets charged with murder, there is no excuse for this. If he was reaching for his taser, there's no reason the trigger would have been pulled.

Any excuse is ridiculous.

DirtMcGirt
07-07-2010, 05:33 PM
I received an email from my school president today giving a heads up about the possibility of canceled classes when verdict is reached...

Here's a bit of it-

As we are all keenly aware, a verdict is expected at any time in the trial of former BART police officer Johannes Mehserle.

Community leaders and law enforcement officials are advising us that, regardless of the outcome, there is a likelihood of demonstrations, civil unrest, and the disruption of transportation and other services in Oakland and surrounding communities.

The safety of our students, faculty, and staff is a primary concern of the University. I urge all members of the community to be well informed about trial developments.

While the University does not anticipate the need to cancel any classes or close any facilities, we are prepared to do so if the need arises. If cancellation or closure is necessary, we will give you as much notice as possible by e-mail, Alert phone and text messages, and information posted to the University’s Web site.

I join with leaders throughout the region in expressing my hope that all of us will continue to do our part to find common ground and maintain a strong, shared sense of responsibility for the welfare of our region.

JeNNiF00F00
07-07-2010, 07:27 PM

DirtMcGirt
07-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Verdict just in, involuntary manslaughter...

catdd
07-08-2010, 05:12 PM
Verdict just in, involuntary manslaughter...

Better than I thought. Sounds like they bought the story that he thought the gun was his taser.

devil21
07-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Better than I thought. Sounds like they bought the story that he thought the gun was his taser.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100708/ap_on_re_us/us_train_station_shooting

LOS ANGELES – A white former transit officer was convicted of involuntary manslaughter Thursday in the shooting death of an unarmed black man on an Oakland train platform in a 2009 encounter that set off days of rioting in the city.

The jury deliberated more than six hours over two days to convict Johannes Mehserle in the killing of 22-year-old Oscar Grant, who was shot to death as he lay face-down.

Mehserle was placed in handcuffs and taken away after the verdict. He turned to his family and mouthed, "I love you, guys."

At least five bystanders videotaped the New Year's Day incident in what was among the most racially polarizing cases in California since four Los Angeles officers were acquitted in 1992 in the beating of Rodney King.

Involuntary manslaughter carries a sentence of two to four years.

Police in Oakland expected protests after the verdict and prepared by getting crowd-control training and working 12-hour shifts. A group of activists planned a rally outside City Hall.

The case was a rare instance in which a police officer stood trial for an on-duty killing and that was captured on video from so many different angles.

The jury had a choice between murder and lesser charges of voluntary and involuntary manslaughter.

The panel included eight women and four men. None listed their race as black. Seven said they were white, three were Latino, and one was Asian-Pacific. One declined to state their race.

The verdict followed a three-week trial in which prosecutors played videos by bystanders, and witnesses recounted hearing the frightening gunshot that killed Grant.

Mehserle, 28, testified that he struggled with Grant and saw him digging in his pocket as officers responded to reports of a fight at a train station. Fearing Grant may have a weapon, Mehserle said he decided to shock Grant with his Taser but pulled his .40-caliber handgun instead.

Alameda County Deputy District Attorney David Stein said in his closing argument that Mehserle let his emotions get the better of him and intended to shoot Grant with the handgun without justification.

One of Grant's friends, Jackie Bryson, testified that Mehserle said "(expletive) this" before firing the fatal shot.

Defense attorney Michael Rains contended the shooting was a tragic accident. Mehserle had no motive to shoot Grant, even though he was resisting arrest, the lawyer argued.

Rains also said Mehserle told a colleague before the shooting: "Tony, Tony, Tony, I can't get his hands. I'm going to tase him."

Mehserle pleaded not guilty to murder and resigned from the Bay Area Rapid Transit agency after the shooting.

Fallout from the shooting was swift in Oakland after the videos were shown on television and the Internet. The shooting and the nearly two weeks it took to arrest Mehserle sent the city into a tailspin of violence as downtown businesses were damaged, cars were set ablaze and clashes erupted between protesters and police.

Grant had recently been released from jail after being sentenced to 16 months for a gun possession charge filed after he ran from police and was subdued by an officer with a stun gun.

Grant has become a martyr of sorts in a city where more than a third of residents are black. His omnipresent image on buildings and storefront windows arguably rivals that of slain hometown rapper Tupac Shakur.

Grant's family and friends filed multimillion dollar lawsuits against the transit agency. Only the mother of Grant's daughter has reached a settlement.

2 to 4 years for shooting a restrained man in the back and killing him. I guess it's a victory that he wasn't acquitted but it's still a slap on the wrist. I also wonder if the same would have happened if it hadn't been recorded by so many onlookers. Would he have even been charged?

Paulitical Correctness
07-08-2010, 05:46 PM
This kind of thing makes me rethink my position on the death penalty. That cop deserves something I'm not going to post here. :mad:

jmdrake
07-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Get alla dem Ko-rians!

Just the shop owners. And like I said I don't agree with what happened but I understand the anger. It's no different from people being angry at all cops when one gets off with murder or abuse. All the cops aren't responsible. And as someone else pointed out it was really the judge at fault for adequately punishing cold blooded murder.

jmdrake
07-08-2010, 05:52 PM
I have a hard time believing a policeman would intentionally want to shoot and kill a person, and think he can go unpunished. he might not have accidentally just picked the wrong tool, but it might be something in between.

What excuse is there to taser someone who's lying face down and handcuffed? If this taser is really indistinguishable from a service pistol then is there a product liability lawsuit in there? What about the city for inadequately training the officer to the point that, under no real pressure, he can honestly mistake a gun for a taser? If his actions were indeed accidental, do they rise to the level of reckless homicide? (Still a serious felony).

Edit:
I wrote this before I saw the post about the verdict. So he did get involuntary manslaughter (basically the same as reckless homicide). The family should get a product injury lawyer to sue taser. They should also sue the city.

DirtMcGirt
07-08-2010, 06:04 PM
rally at 6 in Oakland...

phill4paul
07-08-2010, 06:07 PM
Can we get enough money together to buy some billboards that say....

"Thou shalt target your government. Not your neighbor."

DirtMcGirt
07-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Can we get enough money together to buy some billboards that say....

"Thou shalt target your government. Not your neighbor."

Its actually outside city hall and the civic center...

phill4paul
07-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Its actually outside city hall and the civic center...

Thanks for clarity. Keep us updated.

Promontorium
07-08-2010, 06:34 PM
I have never seen such a spectacle. All the business and government agencies told their employees to get out of town early. Stores have been closed or are closing, boarding up, putting up idols of Grant to appease the riot gods. The BART has even pushed people to leave. The police have had streets shut down for hours, and they have set up outposts with hundreds of riot police on standby.

In the meantime nobody is rioting. To steal from Grorge Carlin "I'm glad the water sucks." it's proof people are losing faith in the system. This preparation by Oakland was an assumption of injustice.

RideTheDirt
07-08-2010, 06:40 PM
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?feedId=5375
police scanner for Oakland riots

I have a few TAC channels the Sheriff is using for the OAKLAND RIOT CONTROL, plus the TAC channel that is being used at the Pleasanton/Alameda County Fair. (6:58 CDT)

DirtMcGirt
07-08-2010, 06:47 PM
The riot police are out forming their 1st line...

The uncle of Oscar Grant spoke after the verdict; he was disappointed and spoke of nonviolence and actually mentioned police instigators mixed in the crowd.

Brian4Liberty
07-08-2010, 06:53 PM
A local news channel has been showing Chopper footage of a Police line and a few people milling around. They are saying around a hundred people are at the 6pm organized gathering so far. The TV people are being idiots as usual. "Was that smoke?! Is there something on fire?!" Reporter on the scene: "It may be fireworks. I hear small explosions". Chopper: "That was a cloud."

The media are going to make it worse, there's no doubt.

http://www.ktvu.com/video/24189294/index.html

libertybrewcity
07-08-2010, 06:55 PM
The riot police are out forming their 1st line...

The uncle of Oscar Grant spoke after the verdict; he was disappointed and spoke of nonviolence and actually mentioned police instigators mixed in the crowd.

thanks for the update.

this verdict is disgusting. there was no way he was trying to reach for his taser. He should have at minimum 5 years instead of the 2 to 4 years he will get. Not that I condone violence but I could see him getting his ass beat in oakland prison.

Brian4Liberty
07-08-2010, 07:00 PM
The media are going to make it worse, there's no doubt.

Lol! They were just interviewing a local Pastor, and he told the reporter that the media was inflaming the issue and creating a self-fulfilling prophesy of violence. The reporter deflected and said "so you are optimistic that there won't be violence". He should have replied, "No, I said you are gonna cause it you idiot!". Instead he said, "Yes, I'm optimistic, we have good people here, etc."

Live_Free_Or_Die
07-08-2010, 07:05 PM
Interesting tidbit from the bottom of this article:

The case marked the first murder prosecution of an on-duty Bay Area police officer. Prosecutors rarely file charges against police for shootings. A Chronicle review of police use-of-force cases around the country found just six cases in the past 15 years - not including the BART shooting - in which murder charges had been filed.

The cases, involving a total of 13 officers, typically resulted in large civil payouts to victims' relatives. However, none of the officers was convicted of murder and most were acquitted or cleared altogether. One pleaded no contest to manslaughter and got three years in prison.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/07/08/BAM21EBDOD.DTL&tsp=1#ixzz0t8uYw3xh

That fact is a big reason the house of cards will likely not fall in a neat orderly fashion when it comes crashing down. The level of injustice that has occurred against the people is too great.

Promontorium
07-08-2010, 07:07 PM
4 years MAX - 2 with good behavior - time served = back on a police force in a month.

Brian4Liberty
07-08-2010, 07:07 PM
there was no way he was trying to reach for his taser.

Sorry, I'm not buying that. Almost everyone that testified said it looked like he was surprised and probably an accident. And you really believe that in front of a crowd of people with cameras a cop is going to execute some dude on the ground? "Gee, here's my chance, I can off this guy right here in front of everyone." He would have to be a delusional psychopath to do that. It was a situation where they absolutely would taze the guy though.

phill4paul
07-08-2010, 07:08 PM
So is the verdict coming soon? As an east coaster I have to be at work in 9 hrs. Go to sleep or stay up I ask?

Brian4Liberty
07-08-2010, 07:09 PM
4 years MAX - 2 with good behavior - time served = back on a police force in a month.

He's not going back on any Police force.

Brian4Liberty
So is the verdict coming soon? As an east coaster I have to be at work in 9 hrs. Go to sleep or stay up I ask?

Verdict is already out. Involuntary manslaughter.

Live_Free_Or_Die

Verdict is out.... read the article I linked in previous post.

Live_Free_Or_Die
07-08-2010, 07:10 PM
Verdict is already out. Involuntary manslaughter.

Dam your fast :)

Austrian Econ Disciple
07-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Sorry, I'm not buying that. Almost everyone that testified said it looked like he was surprised and probably an accident. And you really believe that in front of a crowd of people with cameras a cop is going to execute some dude on the ground? "Gee, here's my chance, I can off this guy right here in front of everyone." He would have to be a delusional psychopath to do that. It was a situation where they absolutely would taze the guy though.

Have you ever shot a pistol? From the sounds of it you haven't. You don't just mistakenly shoot a pistol. Furthermore, cops are supposed to be trained in high tempo situations, and this wouldn't even nearly qualify as such. So, the situation in my view neither conforms to the two far-fetched pre-requisites you say it does. This was not an accident. Cops in California are like kings. Rulers unto themselves.

Promontorium
07-08-2010, 07:14 PM
He's not going back on any Police force.

One word: Maywood

Live_Free_Or_Die
07-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Have you ever shot a pistol? From the sounds of it you haven't. You don't just mistakenly shoot a pistol. Furthermore, cops are supposed to be trained in high tempo situations, and this wouldn't even nearly qualify as such. So, the situation in my view neither conforms to the two far-fetched pre-requisites you say it does. This was not an accident. Cops in California are like kings. Rulers unto themselves.

According to the article I linked. The officer received taser training a month before the shooting and his taser is located left of his belt buckle, gun located right of belt buckle. According to the article there were other ridiculous assertions made by the defense such as the suspects hand reached for his pocket despite the fact the arm alleged hand was attached to was under restraint by another officer. No black people on the jury. Justice baby!

Anti Federalist
07-08-2010, 07:22 PM
One word: Maywood

That ^^^

I'm still mulling this over.

Happy that some form of jail time will happen here.

Brian4Liberty
07-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Have you ever shot a pistol? From the sounds of it you haven't.

Lol. Now that was funny.

You don't just mistakenly shoot a pistol. Furthermore, cops are supposed to be trained in high tempo situations, and this wouldn't even nearly qualify as such.

Plastic pistol handle. Plastic pistol shaped taser handle. You pull the trigger. Have you fired a Glock?

Promontorium
07-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Truly when I look for a reason to this seemingly inexplicable action, it has always been johannes' attempt to excuse his actions by claiming some aggression by Oscar. I can't ever believe someone would mistake a stun gun for a pistol. The excuse of aggression explains the inexplicable.

cindy25
07-08-2010, 07:26 PM
verdict-involuntary manslaughter

phill4paul
07-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Cool. So if I, as a CCW holder, also have a tazer in my possession, and shoot someone and claim I thought I was using the non-lethal weapon, then I get the least penalty afforded by law for a mistake in weapons?
Presidence.
Gotta love it!

Razmear
07-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Just got caught up on the whole thread.
Even if the cop thought he was using his tazer, wouldn't the other cop who was restraining the guy have gotten zapped too?
If true, wouldn't the cop know this and not taze someone who his partner was handcuffing, so imho, he knew it was a gun and his intent was to kill.
Involuntary Manslaughter my ass.

thanks for the link to the scanner feed, listing now, seems pretty quiet so far.
How much is the city wasting on overtime for this non-riot?

Promontorium
07-08-2010, 07:33 PM
My local news is acknowledging that many people believe if a riot starts, it will be by police infiltrators. Most people out there are intent on not rioting, no matter how much the government and media seem to want it. However, the cops might get their way, we're still hours to sunset.

Anti Federalist
07-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Plastic pistol handle. Plastic pistol shaped taser handle. You pull the trigger. Have you fired a Glock?

One of the reasons I don't, and have never liked, the Glocks, or any of the other polymer pistols coming out now.

DirtMcGirt
07-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Sentencing is August 6th, the judge can go from 2 to 12 years b/c there is a gun charge on top of the involuntary manslaughter charge...

phill4paul
07-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Even if the cop thought he was using his tazer, wouldn't the other cop who was restraining the guy have gotten zapped too?
If true, wouldn't the cop know this and not taze someone who his partner was handcuffing, so imho, he knew it was a gun and his intent was to kill.
Involuntary Manslaughter my ass.

thanks for the link to the scanner feed, listing now, seems pretty quiet so far.
How much is the city wasting on overtime for this non-riot?

It makes great precedence. From now on I have only to carry a tazer in addition to my CC. It was a mistake. Honestly. ;)

Live_Free_Or_Die
07-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Lesson:

Single open carry is riskier than dual open carry. If you open carry make sure you also carry a tazer so you can use the I mistakenly pulled the wrong weapon precedent.

Brian4Liberty
07-08-2010, 07:43 PM

The training is to shout "Taser" so your fellow officers know that you are going use it. Mehserle did shout out that he was going to Taser the guy before hand. Have you followed the trial at all? Almost everything pointed to an accident, even the eyewitnesses with cameras.

coastie
07-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Lol. Now that was funny.

While we didn't carry Tasers (and still don't), I carried an M9 9mm and later a SIG .40 while a Boarding Officer in the USCG... but I'm still not buying that bullshit excuse he mistook it for his Taser.

For those who've never worn a gun belt, you always set them up so you can get to each piece of equipment quickly without them interfering with one another. Common sense would indicate it isn't very safe to have pistol gripped objects so close to the point of possibly getting them confused...

While that doesn't prove intent to kill, it damn sure shows that this guy is a fucking moron AT BEST. He wont be safe in prison....

The new TASER X26, weighs in at 7 ounces, helluva lot lighter than a loaded pistol, although I don't know what model he was carrying or how much it weighed. Anybody know that info?

Brian4Liberty
07-08-2010, 07:45 PM
One of the reasons I don't, and have never liked, the Glocks, or any of the other polymer pistols coming out now.

At first they seemed so ugly. But you learn to love 'em.

Brian4Liberty
07-08-2010, 07:47 PM
While that doesn't prove intent to kill, it damn sure shows that this guy is a fucking moron AT BEST.

The moron part is clear. What type of moron is open to debate. ;)

Stop Making Cents
07-08-2010, 07:49 PM
Boo hoo. Crocodile tears for a low life, but the massive black-on-white crime in this country every single day is swept under the rug. Will there be as much outrage over the next white victim of black attacks?

DirtMcGirt
07-08-2010, 07:53 PM
Boo hoo. Crocodile tears for a low life, but the massive black-on-white crime in this country every single day is swept under the rug. Will there be as much outrage over the next white victim of black attacks?

Dude take your racism and hate some where else...

phill4paul
07-08-2010, 07:53 PM

You've missed the boat. Re-evaluate.

Brian4Liberty
07-08-2010, 07:57 PM
The new TASER X26, weighs in at 7 ounces, helluva lot lighter than a loaded pistol, although I don't know what model he was carrying or how much it weighed. Anybody know that info?

Taser X26 and Sig Sauer P226. How sensitive is a person to the weight difference in the adrenaline charged heat of the moment?

Brian4Liberty
07-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Police saying that smaller group of around 100 started throwing rocks at Police. Not happening now though. Wait for nightfall.

coastie
07-08-2010, 08:20 PM
Taser X26 and Sig Sauer P226. How sensitive is a person to the weight difference in the adrenaline charged heat of the moment?

I'm failing to see any "heat" in this situation...this coming from a former LE officer...

RideTheDirt
07-08-2010, 08:35 PM
1 hour till nightfall

DirtMcGirt
07-08-2010, 08:59 PM
1st protesters getting cuffed...

Razmear
07-08-2010, 10:01 PM
Have you followed the trial at all?

Actually no, I had filed it away somewhere in my mind til I saw this thread.

eb

Razmear
07-08-2010, 10:41 PM
Cops ordered to redeploy Downtown.
Group of people throwing stuff off of a building, still pretty quiet.
The cops seem disappointed in the lack of chaos.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?feedId=5375
to listen in.

Brian4Liberty
07-08-2010, 10:45 PM
Local radio said a Foot Locker store has been sacked. Arrests are being made.

Brian4Liberty
07-08-2010, 10:49 PM
I'm failing to see any "heat" in this situation...this coming from a former LE officer...

Hard to say. There were a lot of people there. So if there is no "heat" for him to make a mistake, is there enough "heat" to make him so mad he needed to "accidentally' shoot the guy?

I don't know what was going on in his mind, but it seems that everyone else is a perfect mind reader. They keep interviewing them on TV...

Fredom101
07-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Oakland doesn't typically riot.
Involuntary manslaughter is a joke, but I'm glad most people remained calm.

Promontorium
07-08-2010, 11:39 PM
Professional anarchist instigators. Fact. More on this when iPod not dead.

Razmear
07-08-2010, 11:55 PM
Here are two live blogs on the Oakland protests.
http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_15469933?source=most_viewed&nclick_check=1

http://sfappeal.com/news/2010/07/verdict-reached-in-oscar-grant-murder-trial.php

Brian4Liberty
07-08-2010, 11:59 PM
Beauty Supply store also looted. Couple of dumpsters burning. 50 arrests. Nothing big. Pretty much over. Just a few die hard looters still out.

low preference guy
07-09-2010, 12:04 AM
what a disgrace. it should've been at least second degree murder.

"oops. i didn't mean to shot him! sorry i did it!".