PDA

View Full Version : Gov. Rell of CT rolls out welcome-mat to NY Firms

Cowlesy
07-01-2010, 09:42 AM
See Gov. Paterson, this is what happens when you decide to slam people with huge taxes. Other States and their Governors say, "Hey. We'll take your business. Please move here and join our tax base and economy!"

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/conn_welcome_overtaxed_execs_kcltqS43WVzprxSwfYc42 N

ALBANY -- Next stop, Greenwich!

Even as New York lawmakers geared up to slam out-of-state hedge-fund managers with $50 million in new taxes, Connecticut Gov. Jodi Rell was rolling out the welcome mat for the super-rich executives.

"I would like to convey a very simple, yet heartfelt, message: Connecticut welcomes you!" the Republican executive declared in a letter to the New York Hedge Fund Roundtable.

"I can assure you Connecticut has been pursuing and will continue to pursue a much more enlightened approach to job creation and retention and economic development," Rell continued.

She promised to "do anything possible" to help fund managers find prime office space and "great homes and good schools" for their families.

"I encourage you to consider the attractive options Connecticut can offer, and invite you to contact my office directly to explore the matter further."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/conn_welcome_overtaxed_execs_kcltqS43WVzprxSwfYc42 N#ixzz0sRhERRr1

As much as everyone despises Wall Street firms, they do pay a ton of taxes unlike some big multi-national corporations who can avoid taxes pretty easily, especially Hedge Funds who can rack up tons of short term capital gains on good years, not to mention top-bracket ordinary income tax on bonuses.

If the smaller firms who generate a ton of taxes all move to CT, it will further cripple NY.

Austrian Econ Disciple
07-01-2010, 09:53 AM
Eh, I don't see any good news in this besides the obvious competition...could be worse if Rell foists some more Fascism on Connecticut. Yeah, good for the Hedge Funds, bad for the people.

She promised to "do anything possible" to help fund managers find prime office space and "great homes and good schools" for their families.

"I encourage you to consider the attractive options Connecticut can offer, and invite you to contact my office directly to explore the matter further."

;/

If you want to encourage economic growth and development, stop spending, stop regulation, and stop taxing. Simple. But, of course politicians never do the simple or rational economic approach.