PDA

View Full Version : Question About Primaries?????

VoteRonPaul2008
10-14-2007, 01:49 PM
I am already registered as a republican, I know that in NYC the deadline for swichting parties was on Friday... BUT I have a friend who has never voted before and was never registered to vote... she wants to register to vote now for Ron... can she do that?

And another thing, how exactly do primary elections work? do our votes count?

Thanks ;)

GML3G
10-14-2007, 01:51 PM
Yes, if she has never registered to vote before, she still has until 25 days before the election to register.

VoteRonPaul2008
10-14-2007, 02:03 PM
perfect thanks

Tyler19
10-14-2007, 02:11 PM
instead of starting a new thread ill just ask here.

Is it to late to become a Ron Paul Precinct Delegate?

Elwar
10-14-2007, 02:15 PM
And another thing, how exactly do primary elections work? do our votes count?

They don't count if you use electronic voting....j/k (kinda)

Primary elections are different in every state. Each state elects delegates for their party based on several things, mainly on population and things such as number of elected Republicans and whether or not your state voted for the Republican presidential candidate.

Your vote determines which delegates get sent to the national convention. Each state is different, in some states it's mandatory for the delegates to all vote for the candidate that the voters voted for, in some states it's a percentage of the delegates. Some candidates who drop out will have those delegates free to vote for another candidate.

Pretty much, we need the national convention filled to the brim with Ron Paul delegates.

Elwar
10-14-2007, 02:17 PM
instead of starting a new thread ill just ask here.

Is it to late to become a Ron Paul Precinct Delegate?

Again, each state is different...here in Texas you vote for precinct delegate right after the polls close at 7pm at the polling place.

Make sure you are that delegate.

Tyler19
10-14-2007, 02:21 PM
Michigan:

Precinct Delegates are elected in the August primary election of even numbered years. In 2006 this election will take place on August 8th. The term is a two-year term, so delegates elected in August 2006 will serve until the August primary of 2008.

Does this mean im to late?

VoteRonPaul2008
10-14-2007, 02:23 PM
thank you Elwar... oh God I hope we have enough delegates that are for him, I am thinking of becoming one

QWE
10-14-2007, 02:37 PM
Michigan:

Precinct Delegates are elected in the August primary election of even numbered years. In 2006 this election will take place on August 8th. The term is a two-year term, so delegates elected in August 2006 will serve until the August primary of 2008.

Does this mean im to late?

Yes, in Michigan it is much much too late. The delegates were chosen way back then, and there's a good chance there will be NO primary in Michigan this year since the Democrats might back out of a primary (all but Hillary withdrew their names from the ballot already...)
If this happens there will be NO voting only a convention with delegates voting. In that case Ron Paul will NOT win, it will most likely be Giuliani and maybe a few votes for Romney or McCain.
I went to a county GOP meeting recently where this was talked about. They're friendly to us Paul supporters, but only because they think we have no chance. If this goes to convention then we do have no chance.

However, if Democrats go to convention and Republicans DON'T then Ron Paul WILL win Michigan because it is an open primary so all democrats will vote in the republican primary! This happened in 2000 and that's how McCain won Michigan. The GOP however will most likely NOT make this mistake again, so don't count on it...

Tyler19
10-14-2007, 02:53 PM
so I'm pretty much screwed in Michigan.

VoteRonPaul2008
10-19-2007, 06:20 PM
So do mainly delegates votes count?

How do I become a delegate in NYC?

I'm so lost.........

Bradley in DC
10-19-2007, 06:51 PM
So do mainly delegates votes count?

How do I become a delegate in NYC?

I'm so lost.........

First, a few clarifications. NY has a primary, not a caucus, so there is not state convention delegate like Texas, etc. Two, get the lingo down: you want to be a "Ron Paul delegate candidate" to the Republican presidential nominating conventions (that slate of "delegate candidates" and "alternate delegate candidates" will be picked by the campaign--I'm the one doing it for them for DC); the voters will elect the "delegates" from among the various campaign's competing slates of "delegate candidates."

In short, contact your Meetup group or campaign state organizer--and max out your donations!