PDA

View Full Version : Mobilizing the Youth on MySpace

BrianH
10-14-2007, 01:28 PM
SORRY-- delete "youth" - my age is showing! Should say Mobilizing MySpacers for Ron Paul!! I can't edit the title so this will have to do instead!

Fez made a post about the 59739 Friends of Ron Paul on MySpace as of Sep 7th. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=16665
There are currently 69582 today 14 October so that's 10,000 more in 5 weeks or 2,000 per week. And lots more MySpacers who Support Ron Paul that have not yet "friended" to his site.

So my thought is this new Adam Curry endorsement can be a good leverage to get out and generate excitement in the youth about Ron Paul. I just searched MySpace for Ron Paul and my small home town and found just one. 21 yrs old and a die hard supporter of Ron Paul who has not friended him yet. He's happy to hear from me and share ideas on getting the word out. I sent him two suggestions of messages to send to his friends. I am going to search nearby cities and start a network. My website is http://www.myspace.com/ronpaul_liberty

So my suggestion is: we could all be opening MySpace accounts and locating supporters in our communities. And also outreach nationwide. I hope Fez will help with his list from the Ron Paul myspace site. We could start a campaign to message all 69,000. But we can also do lots on our own.

My suggestion is send out some short items that'll capture the attention of the youth.

The link on Adam Curry's Friday podcast is: http://www.podshow.com/shows/?mode=detail&episode_id=82943

Suggest they download and fast forward to 47 minutes and hear him rave about Ron Paul for 20 minutes and conclude with 5 minutes of endorsements phoned in by his listeners. He said he asked callers to call in to suggest a candidate for him to endorse and over 50 called in for Ron Paul and nobody called for any other candidate!

So this is really huge. If we can motivate the youth vote to make sure they go out and vote in the primary this could be the edge we need to win the nomination.

Please post your thoughts on this idea!

hopeforamerica
10-14-2007, 01:33 PM
I really like it! We did have an impact with the fundraising with the last effort! We should do it again, with more time on our side. We could spread this to meetup groups to help as well.

We need Fez to help again!!

BrianH
10-14-2007, 01:40 PM
Fez sent me 500 urls from Ron Paul friends. Took him a couple of days and so it was late Sat night before I got to it with the deadline being Sunday 30 sep. I was travelling so did not use the list then. Just now I hit the very first one on the list and the guy is nuts about Ron Paul and has him all over his website. He gave me pointers to help me get my site up. I suggest people pm Fez and ask for 500 urls each. That way we won't duplicate efforts. And also start searching on your own your home time name and ron paul. Even if the name comes up on a comment on their page you'll get someone and a great way to start to network

hopeforamerica
10-14-2007, 02:08 PM
Fez sent me 500 urls from Ron Paul friends. Took him a couple of days and so it was late Sat night before I got to it with the deadline being Sunday 30 sep. I was travelling so did not use the list then. Just now I hit the very first one on the list and the guy is nuts about Ron Paul and has him all over his website. He gave me pointers to help me get my site up. I suggest people pm Fez and ask for 500 urls each. That way we won't duplicate efforts. And also start searching on your own your home time name and ron paul. Even if the name comes up on a comment on their page you'll get someone and a great way to start to network

Unfortunately, I deleted all my info after the project. Stupid me!

BrianH
10-14-2007, 02:23 PM
Unfortunately, I deleted all my info after the project. Stupid me!

I take it you're fez? I could split my list of 500 urls with anyone who responds here. How did you get the list? - post here if you can or pm me if you cant!

hopeforamerica
10-14-2007, 02:32 PM
I take it you're fez? I could split my list of 500 urls with anyone who responds here. How did you get the list? - post here if you can or pm me if you cant!

No, I'm not Fez, I just deleted the list he gave me.

justinc.1089
10-14-2007, 02:59 PM
So I'm assuming this Fez person is handling Ron Paul's myspace profile?

And I would be glad to take 500 friends url's to send a comment or message to.

I'm assuming those url's are friend url's from Paul's myspace right?

But one thing I'm noticing we're lacking on encouraging primary voting is telling people how, when, and where to vote in the primaries. I'm 18 so a first time voter and hell itself won't keep me away from the primary to vote for Paul but I really didn't know crap about primaries until I got involved with campaigning for Paul.

BrianH
10-14-2007, 06:47 PM
So I'm assuming this Fez person is handling Ron Paul's myspace profile?

And I would be glad to take 500 friends url's to send a comment or message to.

I'm assuming those url's are friend url's from Paul's myspace right?

But one thing I'm noticing we're lacking on encouraging primary voting is telling people how, when, and where to vote in the primaries. I'm 18 so a first time voter and hell itself won't keep me away from the primary to vote for Paul but I really didn't know crap about primaries until I got involved with campaigning for Paul.

send me your e-mail address by personal message here and I'll spilt the list I have with you 250 each. I'll try to reach Fez and see if he still has his list, I am sure he will as it must have been a LOT of work. Yes they all from Ron Pauls MySpace friends

Stealth4
10-14-2007, 06:51 PM
I thought a new myspace effort was up and running?

I talked to fez about this 10 days ago before I left for vacation and I thought he was going to set it up. I just got back from vacation today.

We had about 45,000 myspace members we didnt hit up in the 3rd qtr, so the idea was to contact them for 4th qtr donations and get the donation meter rolling faster. If we had 60-100 volunteers it wouldnt be that hard to contact them all.

Im very sad if this effort isnt going fullsteam now as we've missed 10 valuable days.

I PM'ed fez and he's a good guy, so hopefully I'll find out soon whats going on.

StumbleBum7
10-14-2007, 07:08 PM
so has that dude endorsed ron or not till they have a interview? and if the later, what has the campaign said about an interview

BrianH
10-14-2007, 07:11 PM
I thought a new myspace effort was up and running?

I talked to fez about this 10 days ago before I left for vacation and I thought he was going to set it up. I just got back from vacation today.

We had about 45,000 myspace members we didnt hit up in the 3rd qtr, so the idea was to contact them for 4th qtr donations and get the donation meter rolling faster. If we had 60-100 volunteers it wouldnt be that hard to contact them all.

Im very sad if this effort isnt going fullsteam now as we've missed 10 valuable days.

I PM'ed fez and he's a good guy, so hopefully I'll find out soon whats going on.

Thanks I wasn't aware of the outcome of the last effort. By the time I received my 500 addresses I was travelling and it was 24 hours to the deadline and so I didn't use it.

It's a great idea to use it to get donations. But my idea is to also ask them to send something to THEIR FRIENDS as well. My experience is that a lot of people are reluctant to talk politics with their friends. We need to get short messages to stoke a GRASSFIRE of support amongst the MySpace generation. The Adam Curry endorsement, hip YouTubes, that kind of thing.

If you'd like to exchange e-mails pm me. I am in Iowa and working pretty well full time on this for the next couple of months at least. Once the campaign gets going from this forum I would like to extend it also to all the MeetUp groups and start promoting on their e-mail lists as well.

If we can get the young voters to come out in droves we can really shake this up and win the nomination!

brumans
10-14-2007, 07:17 PM
How do you locate supporters in your community using ron's myspace?

BrianH
10-14-2007, 08:45 PM
How do you locate supporters in your community using ron's myspace?

I think it was a fluke. I used the search tool, put in "ron paul" town state and up came one name. But I have not been able to repeat the trick or for any town nearby. So I guess that wont work.

ronpaulhawaii
10-14-2007, 08:47 PM
This is an effective project. Not only that it is one of those projects that people will thank you for reminding them. Everyone who is worried about fundraising should be joining this effort. Stealth4- I have misplaced fez's email or I would have already asked him to come back and resurrect this project.

There is no good reason not to be doing this. No excuses like, "I don't have time" (it raise much more money and support than reading this forum), or "My Space is just for kids" (that excuse is complete BS, RP is on MySpace and so are millions of voting age adults. Actually the title of this thread should be different), or I don't have an acct (it is not hard to set up and RP needs all the help we can give him.)

Perhaps a MySpace expert could make an easy profile template/instruction sheet for people to use. I built a MySpace profile only to help RP, and it works. Push this everyone. We have 4698 members of this forum, 146 are active right now. If we got a few hundred people to grab a list we could knock this out in two shakes. I was quite dissappointed in the participation of this forum in the last effort. What will be peoples excuses this time?

BrianH
10-14-2007, 08:54 PM
Does anyone here except Fez know how to get the RP friends MySpace addresses? He takes a while to respond so I guess he's pretty busy. Me - this is ALL I do so I am right on it. Also my wife corrected me from using the term "young people" -sorry my age is showing - so I am ammending the name of the target audience to "The MySpace Generation."

fez2008
10-14-2007, 09:29 PM
Sorry all. I dont login often. I have all the myspace lists and a new project can be started soon. We need 100 volunteers....

I suggested this earlier (for getting 11.5 mill):
1) $3mil - 50k meetup members - donate $20 per month
2) $3mil - 50k myspace friends - donate $20 per month
There might be significant overlap between the above 2 but new friends/voluteers will cover that
3) $0.5mil - from the 20k people on facebook - each donate just $20 once
4) $2mil - Campaign private fundraisers
5) $2mil - offline donations
6) $1mil - from people who knew about RP recently

Number 1), 2) and 3) need volunteers

How to do:
1) Get hold of the meetup leaders emailids and start this project going
2) Myspace project: revive this - in additions to asking for donation tell them to spread the word...
3) Facebook: Someone is already talking about posting paid fliers on facebook (dunno how this works)

We need:
Important -> A Volunteer each to lead each of the three projects
Volunteers to complete each project

Stealth4
10-14-2007, 09:50 PM
Sorry all. I dont login often. I have all the myspace lists and a new project can be started soon. We need 100 volunteers....

I suggested this earlier (for getting 11.5 mill):
1) $3mil - 50k meetup members - donate $20 per month
2) $3mil - 50k myspace friends - donate $20 per month
There might be significant overlap between the above 2 but new friends/voluteers will cover that
3) $0.5mil - from the 20k people on facebook - each donate just $20 once
4) $2mil - Campaign private fundraisers
5) $2mil - offline donations
6) $1mil - from people who knew about RP recently

Number 1), 2) and 3) need volunteers

How to do:
1) Get hold of the meetup leaders emailids and start this project going
2) Myspace project: revive this - in additions to asking for donation tell them to spread the word...
3) Facebook: Someone is already talking about posting paid fliers on facebook (dunno how this works)

We need:
Important -> A Volunteer each to lead each of the three projects
Volunteers to complete each project

Fez, will you be volunteering to lead the myspace effort since you did it will in the 3rd qtr and you know already who we have contactd and who we havent?

lets focus on this myspace effort and get it going tonight or tommorow. All those ideas are good, but lets get the one going we know how to do for sure.

Can you start a new thread with all the info on how to get involved and what to do?

Im off the forums for today, but I'll keep the thread bumped tommorow to make sure we get the 100 volunteers. We can spread the word to the meetups to get this effort staffed.

This is important!

Thanks.

BrianH
10-14-2007, 10:03 PM
Fez, will you be volunteering to lead the myspace effort since you did it will in the 3rd qtr and you know already who we have contactd and who we havent?

lets focus on this myspace effort and get it going tonight or tommorow. All those ideas are good, but lets get the one going we know how to do for sure.

Can you start a new thread with all the info on how to get involved and what to do?

Im off the forums for today, but I'll keep the thread bumped tommorow to make sure we get the 100 volunteers. We can spread the word to the meetups to get this effort staffed.

This is important!

Thanks.

I agree to a new thread - as I want to edit the title but I can't "targetting MySpace for Ron Paul"

I'll work on my 500 list of addresses

katao
10-14-2007, 10:45 PM
This is an important project! We should have a focused message on three points:

1. Donation goal
2. Make sure they are registered Republican - point them to rockthevote.com
3. Ask them to send an email to everyone on their contact lists - I personally think the best is a link to RonPaulIsHope.com

fez2008
10-15-2007, 12:21 AM

This is important!

Thanks.

Sure I can coordinate. The current process is timetaking:
1) people say they are interested on the thread
2) I pm them asking for their emailid
3) they pm me their email id
4) I email them the files (sometimes the emails bounce because hotmail treats them like spam due to the number of links and I've to remail)

If we have an ftp site somewhere, I'm thinking it will be easier for people to download the file from there and start working on it.
It can work like this:
1) I'll upload all the files and say go
2) anyone who wants to participate can download file 1 and say file 1 taken
3) the next person takes file 2 and announces file2 etc...
anyone of you maintaining any website has some space for ftp? we will need a few megabytes not much...

thanks

Stealth4
10-15-2007, 06:22 AM
morning bump

Stealth4
10-15-2007, 07:03 AM
Sure I can coordinate. The current process is timetaking:
1) people say they are interested on the thread
2) I pm them asking for their emailid
3) they pm me their email id
4) I email them the files (sometimes the emails bounce because hotmail treats them like spam due to the number of links and I've to remail)

If we have an ftp site somewhere, I'm thinking it will be easier for people to download the file from there and start working on it.
It can work like this:
1) I'll upload all the files and say go
2) anyone who wants to participate can download file 1 and say file 1 taken
3) the next person takes file 2 and announces file2 etc...
anyone of you maintaining any website has some space for ftp? we will need a few megabytes not much...

thanks

I see how ftp would be quicker, but I can gaurantee that there would be a slip up and more than one person would download the same file.

How do you have the files now? Can you prep them into text files?

I know its timeconsuming but I think having people PM you (or me, I dont mind) would be the way to go.

If you want to send me 20 sets of files I can be responsible for handing those out as people request them. That way whoever is on the forum can respond the quickest.

tangent4ronpaul
10-15-2007, 07:24 AM
Mike Esler has a Ron Paul FTP area on the RonPaulPressHub.com that he'd probably let you use.

to avoid the download problem, simply rename each file to the userid of the person that is supposed to download it.

-n

tangent4ronpaul
10-15-2007, 07:30 AM
Suggested secondary project to tack on to the donations - ask each contacted person to set up a second MySpace account and then then send 20 random friend requests a day. By random, I mean, find a myspace user somewhere, click on their friend list, select one or two of their friends and send invites, then find one or two friends of each one you sent an invite and repeat.

some will add you. follow up with Ron Paul posts on their blackboard and through bulletins.

the point is that we have something 0.05% of Myspace users onboad with Ron Paul, while ONE THIRD OF THE POPULATION OF THE USA has a MySpace account!

It's a great way to let people know about Dr. Paul.

-n

BrianH
10-15-2007, 08:40 AM
I sent a message and a blog post the MySpace Ron Paul to urge them to send messages out to their 70,000 friends list. It would be so easy for them to do this, I can't understand why they don't. I suggested a $20 donation campaign to get $1.4 million from the group for the 4th Qtr. And also sent a message about the Adam Curry show. Maybe if we all sent messages and blog posts to them we could persuade them toreach a lot of people a lot quicker than trying to message them all ourselves. It is a massive resource that seems to be not used - since I friended them a month ago I have had NO messages from them.

I did 20 messages to the RP friends last night in about 30 minutes. I'm up for doing more, but I can't see myself doing hundreds of these. It's pretty slow. I just started hitting them from the friends webpage beginning with the newest first. Just to try it out. Have not started on my 500 list from Fez yet - sent 200 of these to justin who pm'ed me here.

fez2008
10-15-2007, 09:29 AM
I see how ftp would be quicker, but I can gaurantee that there would be a slip up and more than one person would download the same file.

How do you have the files now? Can you prep them into text files?

I know its timeconsuming but I think having people PM you (or me, I dont mind) would be the way to go.

If you want to send me 20 sets of files I can be responsible for handing those out as people request them. That way whoever is on the forum can respond the quickest.

I see the problem with ftp but it would be so much quicker and easier. On second thought, it is better not to put all those files together to avoid overlaps.

I've text files. We can have 4 people share them? I can send a zip file with 25 files to you... I'll have 25 more...

2 more leaders please...

ronpaulhawaii
10-15-2007, 09:50 AM
Join This Effort - Please!!!!

ronpaulhawaii
10-15-2007, 10:51 PM
Bump

fez2008
10-15-2007, 10:54 PM
Join This Effort - Please!!!!

Aloha! We have the organizers now. A new thread will be started tomorrow for getting volunteers... :)

ronpaulhawaii
10-15-2007, 11:19 PM
Aloha! We have the organizers now. A new thread will be started tomorrow for getting volunteers... :)

Cool, thanks! guys. Now, I just need an easy address or something to can send people to. We are meeting with Portland and Vancouver MU's tomorrow night and will be promoting this (and the on-line rally;)). I hope to send volunteers your way from coast to coast.

:D

fez2008
10-16-2007, 01:12 AM
Cool, thanks! guys. Now, I just need an easy address or something to can send people to. We are meeting with Portland and Vancouver MU's tomorrow night and will be promoting this (and the on-line rally;)). I hope to send volunteers your way from coast to coast.

:D

Heres the link to signup: http://ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=25583

thanks.

BTW, the bike pics are great!!