PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Notice The Media's War On Fat?

AGRP
06-30-2010, 05:38 PM
It seems to be everywhere within the MSM lately. Its almost as if its a giant whitehouse talking point. It was on nightline yesterday as well.

I cant stop believing this is just another problem -> solution attempt by the government to further control our lives: Its almost as if this is such a "big deal" the msm is essentially brainwashing us into believing that we need the government to step in and control what we eat. Theyre already doing it by way of sin taxes/laws.

If only the government controlled what we ate then this problem would go away! :)

heavenlyboy34
06-30-2010, 05:41 PM
the "War on Fat" is at least 10-20 years old. :mad:

AGRP
06-30-2010, 05:44 PM
the "War on Fat" is at least 10-20 years old. :mad:

Maybe we wouldnt be so fat if we payed attention to their food guide pyramid. :)

specsaregood
06-30-2010, 05:44 PM
It seems to be everywhere within the MSM lately. Its almost as if its a giant whitehouse talking point. It was on nightline yesterday as well.

I don't suppose they mentioned one of the biggest culprits (tv) did they?

tpreitzel
06-30-2010, 05:57 PM
Yes, but obesity is a major problem in the US and largely due to governmental interference in the people's lives, .e.g additives, corporatism, etc.

Here's a great guide for shedding the fat: Simply reduce your daily percentage of carbohydrates to 25% of total caloric intake for the day. To compensate for the reduction in carbohydrates, simply increase your daily percentage of protein to 50% of total caloric intake for the day. Leave the daily percentage of fats at 25% of total caloric intake for the day. Repeat this scenario for 5 days out of 7. On the remaining 2 days of the week, increase carbohydrates to 50% of your daily caloric intake and reduce protein to 25% of your daily caloric intake while leaving fats at 25% of your daily caloric intake. Why increase the carbohydrates to 50% of daily intake for 2 days out of 7? To replace glycogen in the liver lost by reducing intake of carbohydrates for 5 days out of 7. If you don't increase carbohydrates for a couple of days per week, you'll soon be cranky and tired.

Do the above and you'll lose fat so fast you just might have a cardiac episode. Let's hope not as we need most of you for the political fight. ;)

I do agree, however, that the media tends to focus on problems created by government and then exploits the problem even further as a pretext for encouraging further intervention by government which only worsens the problem.

Americans generally consume far too many carbohydrates on a daily basis.

someperson
06-30-2010, 06:05 PM
"Maybe they ought to put you on a diet; you're a little overweight."
I guess the sarcasm was lost on them ;)

http://nowsourcing.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/bush_doing_it_wrong.jpg

heavenlyboy34
06-30-2010, 06:05 PM
Maybe we wouldnt be so fat if we payed attention to their food guide pyramid. :)

a joke, I hope? ;) Their food pyramid is upside down in relation to what the human body actually needs to be healthy (we shouldn't be surprised at such ineptitude and propaganda from the FedGov, of course)-the whole "pyramid" scheme was always designed to benefit farmers who wanted to sell grain. :p According to modern dieticians such as the authors of the Paleo diet, the pyramid is upside-down! :eek::p

heavenlyboy34
06-30-2010, 06:06 PM
Yes, but obesity is a major problem in the US and largely due to governmental interference in the people's lives, .e.g additives, corporatism, etc.

Here's a great guide for shedding the fat: Simply reduce your daily percentage of carbohydrates to 25% of total caloric intake for the day. To compensate for the reduction in carbohydrates, simply increase your daily percentage of protein to 50% of total caloric intake for the day. Leave the daily percentage of fats at 25% of total caloric intake for the day. Repeat this scenario for 5 days out of 7. On the remaining 2 days of the week, increase carbohydrates to 50% of your daily caloric intake and reduce protein to 25% of your daily caloric intake while leaving fats at 25% of your daily caloric intake. Why increase the carbohydrates to 50% of daily intake for 2 days out of 7? To replace glycogen in the liver lost by reducing intake of carbohydrates for 5 days out of 7. If you don't increase carbohydrates for a couple of days per week, you'll soon be cranky and tired.

Do the above and you'll lose fat so fast you just might have a cardiac episode. Let's hope not as we need most of you for the political fight. ;)

I do agree, however, that the media tends to focus on problems created by government and then exploits the problem even further as a pretext for encouraging further intervention by government which only worsens the problem.

Americans generally consume far too many carbohydrates on a daily basis.

That's pretty good advice, IMO. Don't forget to exercise! :D

silus
06-30-2010, 08:36 PM
Well, public schools do feed kids the absolute worst shit you can possibly eat. I wish my parents were smart enough to give me sack lunches. I ate that garbage for years. I think if i didn't have decent genetics I would be a fat ass.

catdd
06-30-2010, 08:46 PM
I think this kind of thing will be common under the health care plan. Fat, cigarettes, etc. will be targeted to keep visits to a minimum and not drain the system.
We'll probably all have to do jumping jacks and shit first thing before work.

Stop Making Cents
06-30-2010, 08:49 PM
Lawsuits against fast food and soda companies are coming - it'll be just like the crusade against tobacco. Didn't John Edwards make a fortune off tobacco lawsuits?

AGRP
06-30-2010, 09:13 PM
a joke, I hope? ;) Their food pyramid is upside down in relation to what the human body actually needs to be healthy (we shouldn't be surprised at such ineptitude and propaganda from the FedGov, of course)-the whole "pyramid" scheme was always designed to benefit farmers who wanted to sell grain. :p According to modern dieticians such as the authors of the Paleo diet, the pyramid is upside-down! :eek::p

The point was that the food guide pyramid has been around for ~20 years, drilled through our brains, required on just about every food container, and look what good it has done :)

I think this kind of thing will be common under the health care plan. Fat, cigarettes, etc. will be targeted to keep visits to a minimum and not drain the system.
We'll probably all have to do jumping jacks and shit first thing before work.

Exactly.

ABC, CBS, ETC already openly use WH talking points. But, it seems relatively recently the news is everywhere. I remember when these stations were telling us we didnt need so many cancer screenings because the government suggested it; just as they were taking over healthcare.

Now the kegan believes its constitutional to regulate our diets.

Its as if the media is helping out the governments problem-solution scinario.

catdd
06-30-2010, 09:21 PM
And bigger government will force tighter restrictions on everything we do as well as what we eat.
Most of us didn't want that stinking Health Care Reform anyway.

Icymudpuppy
06-30-2010, 09:26 PM
I wouldn't say the pyramid is upside down. More like jumbled.

Right now, from top to bottom it looks like this:

Fats
Sugars
Meats
Fruits
Vegetables
Grains

It should be:
Sugars
Grains
Fats
Meat
Fruits
Vegetables

justinc.1089
06-30-2010, 09:28 PM
1. If you just grow your own natural food, and eat a natural amount, you won't be fat. (Assuming you don't sit or lay still all day too).

2. The media loves to talk about fat people because its another non-issue. Its fun to gossip about and people enjoy watching people gossip about it.

3. Fat people make money for diet books, diet pills, and so on. And those are mostly not needed, because the simple answer is just to get back to a natural food diet. (Eliminate pre-packaged corporate foods and fast foods from your diet, especially things like soda, ground beef, pork, shellfish, and peeps).

4. TV is partially responsible for obesity, as well as corporations, but of course it is not right to shift blame away from the individuals themselves since we all can choose about things like food and excercise.

5. Again, if you're overweight trying to lose weight just get back to a natural diet. Avoid McDonald's and other fastfood at all costs. Don't eat it. Ever. Maybe Subway if you really need to. Buy mainly produce from grocery stores. Don't eat packaged foods from corporations. Don't drink soda, drink tea and water, and if thats not enough variety, add some juices. Avoid milk because pasteurized milk is very, very unhealthy and probably fattening even if its skim. It may not have fat in it, but will cause you to get fatter easier. Avoid all potato chips. I already said packaged food but that one is so bad and so common I think it deserves to be mentioned by itself. Eat fruits, vegetables, nuts, grains, and fresh meats from local butchers if you can find one.

And be active. Be active and eat naturally in natural amounts.

catdd
06-30-2010, 09:35 PM
I don't think any of us are worried about being fat - it's the government that is worried - and that means trouble.

Kregisen
06-30-2010, 10:06 PM
I switched from 1% to skim milk a couple weeks ago :)

starless
06-30-2010, 10:13 PM

Right now, from top to bottom it looks like this:

Fats
Sugars
Meats
Fruits
Vegetables
Grains

It should be:
Sugars
Grains
Fats
Meat
Fruits
Vegetables

Personally, I think it should be:

Sugars and grains off completely

Fruit
Nuts and Seeds
Vegetables
Meat and Eggs

specsaregood
06-30-2010, 10:16 PM

Fats
Sugars
Meats
Fruits
Vegetables
Grains

It should be:
Sugars
Grains
Fats
Meat
Fruits
Vegetables

How are fruits not sugars? Aren't they basically all sugar water? They belong at the same level on whatever pyramid.

james1906
06-30-2010, 10:22 PM
Ron Paul's food pyramid

Fiji Water
Chocolate Chip Cookies

...he's on to something

specsaregood
06-30-2010, 10:23 PM
Ron Paul's food pyramid

Fiji Water
Chocolate Chip Cookies

...he's on to something

I seem to recall something about brownies from that tucker article.

Edit: yes, here it is.

I first met up with Paul after a rally at University of Nevada, Las Vegas. He apparently hadn’t known I was coming but accepted my arrival with Zen-like calm, welcoming me into the seat next to him in the minivan and offering me baked goods from a plate on his lap. We were both finishing our brownies when he mentioned they’d been baked by a supporter. I stopped chewing. Where I work, this is a major taboo (Rule One: Never eat food sent by viewers), and my concern must have shown. Paul grinned. “Maybe they’re spiked with marijuana,” he said.
http://chriswerler.wordpress.com/2007/12/22/hysterical-tucker-carlson-essay-about-touring-with-ron-paul/

someperson
06-30-2010, 10:42 PM
How are fruits not sugars? Aren't they basically all sugar water? They belong at the same level on whatever pyramid.
I was thinking that, as well... certain fruits have very high sugar content. Moderation here would be prudent.

JeNNiF00F00
06-30-2010, 11:05 PM

Trigonx
06-30-2010, 11:35 PM
I seem to recall something about brownies from that tucker article.

Edit: yes, here it is.

http://chriswerler.wordpress.com/2007/12/22/hysterical-tucker-carlson-essay-about-touring-with-ron-paul/

Man, good article right there. Had me laughing.

micahnelson
06-30-2010, 11:48 PM
If you consume more calories than you expend, you will gain weight.
If you expend more calories than you consume, you will lose weight.

Calories are not the enemy, they are your budget. Spend them wisely. High calorie foods with low nutritionally value is a waste of calories. High Calorie foods that have high nutritional content could be a good investment- a burger on a thin wheat bun with lots of veggies may be calorie-laden, but it will make you full and keep you energized, while that salad with nothing but lettuce and cucumbers won't.

You burn massive amounts of calories while sleeping, so sleep more.
Your metabolism is increased by exercise, so walk more.

Turkey is a healthy meat. No, it doesn't taste like beef. If you like eating red meat all the time, fine- do it. Just realize that its going to kill you eventually and you are placing the taste of a type of food over seeing your grandkids graduate high school.

If you don't get enough fiber, you won't be digesting properly which leads to inefficient digestion and weight gain- so get enough fiber (You won't get fiber from processed foods.)

Carb rich foods are cheap, heavily subsidized, and grown right here. Thus, they made it to the foundational place in the food pyramid. Treat white bread like sugar. If bread doesn't have high fiber content, consider it a waste of time.

Certain superfoods do have benefits, eat sushi and miso soup for the seaweed. Drink green tea.

Compulsive eating is a serious problem. Remove food from activities that are not meals.

When you are hungry, eat- but eat protiens. Don't snack on carbs.

If you want to snack, snack on something low calorie in small pieces so you can eat a lot of it for a long period of time- unbuttered popcorn, natural cheese puffs (100 pieces = 120 calories), etc. I eat mine with chop sticks to force me to have one bit at a time.

You will not get fat eating fruits and vegetables. You are not overweight because of the bananas, you are overweight because of the fast food. Nobody ever saw a fat guy and yelled, "Hey, lay off the fruit bowls man!"

Following these steps I lost 60 Pounds in 4 months.

libertybrewcity
07-01-2010, 01:11 AM
i haven't noticed. i don't watch, listen, or read any mainstream media!

but i do believe it started with michelle obama's campaign against childhood obesity.

Andrew-Austin
07-01-2010, 01:24 AM
Ron Paul's food pyramid

Fiji Water
Chocolate Chip Cookies

...he's on to something

Yeah, hes on to something called the freedom of subjective preferences and habits of diet.

Which maybe something the MSM does not care much for, but they should at least manage to pull all the fatty substances out of their precious compulsory education system first though.

Americans eat a LOT of sugar compared to other countries. Heck yeah I like my sugar, have eaten about five sugar cookies in the past few hours. Still pretty skinny and healthy though considering this kind of consumption of mine isn't that infrequent, damn I love my metabolism.