PDA

View Full Version : Economics degree

xapis
06-30-2010, 09:12 AM
If I wanted to get a B.A. in Economics (I already have a A.A. but it's in Religion), where would you recommend going? To narrow down the options, it needs to be through a distance learning (e.g. online) program (I work full-time, have a family), it needs to be affordable, and I would prefer to get the education from an Austrian perspective.

Any suggestions? I know these conditions probably narrow it down to nil. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

low preference guy
06-30-2010, 09:17 AM
Mises Academy (I haven't take it so can't recommend, but you might want to give it a look).

http://academy.mises.org/

xapis
06-30-2010, 09:25 AM
I thought of Mises first. But they do not confer degrees.

heavenlyboy34
06-30-2010, 09:42 AM
Dr Block teaches at Loyola College, so that might be a good alternative.

axiomata
06-30-2010, 10:18 AM
If I was going for economics I'd certainly look into George Mason.

djdellisanti4
06-30-2010, 10:48 AM
If I was going for economics I'd certainly look into George Mason.

Agreed. I almost went there just for the oppourtunity to study under Walter Williams down the road, plus it's in the DC area.

low preference guy
06-30-2010, 11:09 AM
Agreed. I almost went there just for the oppourtunity to study under Walter Williams down the road, plus it's in the DC area.

parasite capital?

xapis
06-30-2010, 11:14 AM
I live in Southwest VA so the fact that GMU is in the DC area doesn't help. Sadly, the distance programs at GMU and Loyola NO don't seem to fit my needs/wants. I had already looked into GMU, and Loyola NO doesn't appear to offer anything but nursing via distance.

TheState
06-30-2010, 11:18 AM
Grove City University in PA is an Austrian school if I remember correctly. I don't know if they have distance learning though.

dannno
06-30-2010, 11:26 AM
A few years ago Florida Tech was I believe the top University to have online graduate programs in the sort of fields you might be interested in.. I don't know if that is true anymore. Since it was an online program, you end up writing a lot of papers. They let me write papers with an Austrian Economics perspective and I got all A's.. I have a BA in Econ as well, but I ended up studying information technology (actually took a systems mgmt program they don't offer anymore..closest is MS IT).. not sure if you are trying to focus on economics or if you might be open to something related.

Graduate Degrees

* Master of Business Administration
* MBA/Accounting & Finance
* MBA/Healthcare Management
* MBA/Information Technology Management
* MBA/Internet Marketing
* MBA/Management
* MBA/Marketing
* MBA/Project Management
* MS Information Technology

John Taylor
06-30-2010, 11:59 AM
George Mason is excellent for GRADUATE LEVEL ECONOMICS. It isn't so good for undergraduate study.

Grove City College and Hillsdale College in PA and MI respectably are the only two schools which expressly teach and focus on Austrian economics.

(FULL DISCLOSURE, I attended one of the three abovementioned institutions prior to going back to school for a law degree.).

Baptist
07-09-2010, 09:44 PM
Has anyone reading this taken any classes at Mises Academy? They look pretty interesting. I'm going to try to attend Mises University for summer of 2011, but that is only a few weeks long. Mises Academy looks like they have online classes pretty frequently.

Matt Collins
07-10-2010, 12:10 AM
George Mason teaches Austrian economics.

heavenlyboy34
07-10-2010, 01:27 PM
George Mason teaches Austrian economics.

Plus, Walter Williams teaches there (I'm pretty sure), so you might get him as a prof. :cool::D

SimpleName
07-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Plus, Walter Williams teaches there (I'm pretty sure), so you might get him as a prof. :cool::D

That would be AWESOME! If you could ask for him as your professor, that would be perfect. Also would be awesome if you could even make it in there. They have very high standards (and are expensive). If you did excellent with your A.A, though, you should be able to make it.

It is all schooling though. I tried community college and bombed. I congratulate anyone that can deal with that crap.

nate895
07-12-2010, 10:13 AM
As someone previously mentioned, Hillsdale College is the best for undergraduate Economics. However, I'd recommend going to a cheap school online or locally to get your Bachelor's and then go off to a great graduate institution. Bachelor's degrees are becoming more irrelevant on the job market for jobs in the field you got your degree in, and they were never intended as being a demonstration of expertise in the field. That is where Master's and Doctoral degrees show that you can actually be considered an expert in that area.

xapis
07-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Best advice yet. Thanks, Nate. Compliments on your avatar, too.

I completed an A. A. at Liberty University via distance, so I'm considering their B. A. program for this. I looked through some of their required and recommended texts and saw Hazlitt and Bastiat listed. LU is not the best option, but it may be as close as I'm going to come to my ideal for now.

nate895
07-12-2010, 04:19 PM
Best advice yet. Thanks, Nate. Compliments on your avatar, too.

I completed an A. A. at Liberty University via distance, so I'm considering their B. A. program for this. I looked through some of their required and recommended texts and saw Hazlitt and Bastiat listed. LU is not the best option, but it may be as close as I'm going to come to my ideal for now.

I'm getting my BS from Liberty Online as well. I'd say that is a decent education for the price and the freedom of an online undergrad education. However, I'd avoid their graduate institutions (particularly LBTS) because of the scandals that will continue to haunt them in the near future (Ergun Caner and Jerry Falwell, Jr.'s Glenn Beck appearance).

I have the advantage of graduating from HS with an AA paid for by the State of Washington, so I'll have BS by the time I'm 20 and then I'll be off to do my Master's work.

xapis
07-12-2010, 04:26 PM
Of course... no danger of me going to LBTS! :cool:

nate895
07-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Of course... no danger of me going to LBTS! :cool:

That's definitely the case, you quote Machen is your sig for gosh sakes.

Christianlibertarian
07-16-2010, 03:46 PM
I went to Grove City College and came out with an Austrian perspective on economics. Hans Sennholz taught there for years and was a huge influence on Ron Paul (as RP discusses in "End The Fed"). I doubt they have much of in the way of online courses, though.

You can also check out the Acton Institute, especially if you are interested in the theological basis for libertarian philosophy. They provide free, high quality, seminars throughout the country and give you books to read before the seminars. They also have good speakers (I met Doug Bandow there).