PDA

View Full Version : Ariz. Law has more Gang Members moving to New Mexico

stu2002
06-30-2010, 05:21 AM
Groups say deportation fears fueling exodus

Updated: Saturday, 26 Jun 2010, 10:46 AM MDT
Published : Friday, 25 Jun 2010, 10:40 PM MDT
Reporter: Ian Schwartz

ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) - Hispanic advocacy groups in Albuquerque said Arizona's controversial immigration law is driving immigrants from there to New Mexico a full month before the law takes effect.

"There have been about 40 to 50 families that we know of that have moved to Albuquerque," Ralph Arellanes, the New Mexico Director of The League of United Latin American Citizens, said.

He said immigrant families are heading east weeks before the law takes effect.

"Families are coming here from Arizona, specifically because of this law," he said.

The Arizona law requires immigrants to carry identification at all times, and gives police the authority question them about their immigration status.

Arellanes said fears of deportation have caused the exodus.

Officials with the Mexican Consulate in Albuquerque said as many as 70 immigrants have contacted them about their plans to head to New Mexico from Arizona.

El Centro De La Raza Director Veronica Mendez-Cruz, who runs the Hispanic advocacy department at the University of New Mexico, said she also expects to see more illegal immigrants coming to the university for an education.

"The influx is going to be bring in, not just an influx of students, families," she said.

Some businesses in the heavily hispanic South Valley said they are also seeing a change.

"They're just basically looking for a less hostile place to live in," barber Hugo Delgado said.

Delgado said the new law could also bring trouble too.

"I guess there are some gang members moving over here too," he said. "So I am assuming a lot of the violence happening over there is going to kind of escalate over here."

Hispanic groups said they are only hearing from a fraction of the immigrants with
plans to settle in Albuquerque after leaving Arizona.

http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/immigrants-head-to-nm-ahead-of-az-law

j6p
06-30-2010, 05:29 AM
The more that comes out about this unamerican Ariz law the better.

j6p
06-30-2010, 05:29 AM
"papers please"

bobbyw24
06-30-2010, 05:31 AM
"papers please"

Gang members carry papers???

JohnEngland
06-30-2010, 05:43 AM
I'm no expert on this Arizona law (nor, I suspect, are any of us here) but it sounds to me that it's all been hyped up out of proportion by the media. Many of the critics of the law, whether they be Obama officials or Hollywood types, confess to having never read the law!

So I wonder, after the law comes into effect, whether all this prophesied evilmongering and racemongering, where people are rounded up like Jews in Nazi Germany, is going to happen.

Somehow, I suspect not.

james1906
06-30-2010, 05:56 AM
Richardson better do something about this or else he'll have to drop the "New" from his state's name.

MelissaWV
06-30-2010, 06:05 AM
I'm no expert on this Arizona law (nor, I suspect, are any of us here) but it sounds to me that it's all been hyped up out of proportion by the media. Many of the critics of the law, whether they be Obama officials or Hollywood types, confess to having never read the law!

So I wonder, after the law comes into effect, whether all this prophesied evilmongering and racemongering, where people are rounded up like Jews in Nazi Germany, is going to happen.

Somehow, I suspect not.

I have read it, and I still have issues with one of the provisions. It seems deliberately poorly-written to leave a massive loophole. Will police exploit the loophole? That part remains to be seen.

I also dislike the incorporation of e-verify into these laws. E-verify is basically a "no work" list, and it uses all kinds of info. Note that there is also a US "no fly" list, and there was to be a "no gun" list, too.

It doesn't take "rounding up" people, or genocide, or even one person being arrested... for the law to be wrong-headed. It is setting up a bad, unconstitutional situation, with only the oft-heard police assurance that they'll apply the law fairly keeping the citizens from unwarranted arrest.

MsDoodahs
06-30-2010, 07:40 AM
50 families constitutes an "exodus?"

MelissaWV
06-30-2010, 08:04 AM
50 families constitutes an "exodus?"

*shrugs* The whole article is badly written as well.

The thread title is "Ariz. Law has more Gang Members moving to New Mexico," but most of it is about non-gang people moving. This is hardly compelling:

"I guess there are some gang members moving over here too," he said. "So I am assuming a lot of the violence happening over there is going to kind of escalate over here."

bobbyw24
06-30-2010, 08:05 AM
I have leared to take Stu's posts with a shaker of salt

nobody's_hero
06-30-2010, 10:19 AM
Hmm. I see people voting with their feet.

"papers please"

Arizona does not require you to show papers in order to leave the state. Nor will the state of Arizona apprehend you after you have left and bring you back into Arizona for being in Arizona illegally. (Wouldn't make much sense, would it?)

John Taylor
06-30-2010, 10:48 AM
The more that comes out about this unamerican Ariz law the better.

It's not an unAmerican law, it's a perfectly constitutional law under the state of Arizona's reserved police powers.

LibertyEagle
06-30-2010, 11:04 AM
My understanding of Arizona's law is that it is nothing that is not already included in federal law.

John Taylor
06-30-2010, 11:05 AM
My understanding of Arizona's law is that it is nothing that is not already included in federal law.

That's my understanding as well. The Bullahoo is because AZ's various police forces will enforce the state law, while the feds won't enforce the federal law.

specsaregood
06-30-2010, 11:05 AM

That's what I hear all the time too.

LibertyEagle
06-30-2010, 11:22 AM
Groups say deportation fears fueling exodus

Updated: Saturday, 26 Jun 2010, 10:46 AM MDT
Published : Friday, 25 Jun 2010, 10:40 PM MDT
Reporter: Ian Schwartz

ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) - Hispanic advocacy groups in Albuquerque said Arizona's controversial immigration law is driving immigrants from there to New Mexico a full month before the law takes effect.

"There have been about 40 to 50 families that we know of that have moved to Albuquerque," Ralph Arellanes, the New Mexico Director of The League of United Latin American Citizens, said.

He said immigrant families are heading east weeks before the law takes effect.

"Families are coming here from Arizona, specifically because of this law," he said.

The Arizona law requires immigrants to carry identification at all times, and gives police the authority question them about their immigration status.

Arellanes said fears of deportation have caused the exodus.

Officials with the Mexican Consulate in Albuquerque said as many as 70 immigrants have contacted them about their plans to head to New Mexico from Arizona.

El Centro De La Raza Director Veronica Mendez-Cruz, who runs the Hispanic advocacy department at the University of New Mexico, said she also expects to see more illegal immigrants coming to the university for an education.

"The influx is going to be bring in, not just an influx of students, families," she said.

Some businesses in the heavily hispanic South Valley said they are also seeing a change.

"They're just basically looking for a less hostile place to live in," barber Hugo Delgado said.

Delgado said the new law could also bring trouble too.

Hispanic groups said they are only hearing from a fraction of the immigrants with
plans to settle in Albuquerque after leaving Arizona.

http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/immigrants-head-to-nm-ahead-of-az-law

Sounds like Arizona's law is working. Illegal aliens are moving out of the state. Now, New Mexico is griping that they are getting them. I was between mad and laughing when I read about the suspected increase in illegal aliens at the University of New Mexico. Well, I guess that would be all fine and dandy if the costs were solely borne by New Mexico's taxpayers. Because if that was the case, it would be up to them to make changes when they got tired of being fleeced.

I think more states are going to need to take similar steps as Arizona took. Because the federal government has proven that they are going to just keep encouraging illegal immigration. I, for one, am sick and tired of it.