PDA

View Full Version : I'm curious, who here really found out about Ron Paul after the election

Koz
06-30-2010, 04:57 AM
I know I am probably a rarity on this forum, but I represent a vote that Ron did not get in the primary. Now I live in Ohio and the GOP nominee was decided prior to our primary so it wouldn't have mattered from a voting perspective, but I didn't really find out much about the good doctor until after the general election.

So my question is - how many of the folks on here have seen the light after the primary where it would have mattered?

VBRonPaulFan
06-30-2010, 07:58 AM
I didn't find out about Ron Paul until about a year ago really. I didn't get very politically active until the last presidential election, and I voted McCain. After finding out about RP though, it was very refreshing to see someone so logical who seemed to be so in line with how I felt about a lot of things.

freshjiva
06-30-2010, 08:26 AM
Same here. I didn't vote at all in the 2008 elections. I didn't care about politics. I did watch the debates, though, and I thought Ron Paul was crazy. Then I started seeing Ron Paul 2008 signs everywhere, and noticed sizeable rallies in Chicago, so the name stuck with me for a while.

What really got me interested, however, is the role of the Federal Reserve and the system of fiat currency. That led me to Ron Paul's 30-year war against the Fed.

Then everything else followed. :D

Koz
06-30-2010, 12:10 PM
I can't believe we are the only three people on here who didn't know about him before 2008. If we are that is not good for the liberty movement.

AcousticFoodie
06-30-2010, 12:20 PM
I found about about the good Doc this year. I feel ashamed voting the way I did back in 2008. Not because of the candidate I chose (well okay that too) but because I didn't know anything about how monetary policy, economics, foreign policy, and government really worked. I made my candidate decision based off what the media was telling me and what others were saying.

What really got me focused on Ron paul was his consistency throughout his years as well as his supporters. I encountered so many Obama and McCain supporters who didn't even know what their candidates views were. However, it just seems that all the ron paul supporters have done their research and know exactly what the good doc represents.

Even tho I wasn't a part of the revolution I will always be thankful for Ron Paul for getting me interested in learning more about how the governments works, our us history, us constitution, and economics. I can't remember the last time a politician inspired me to go to the library every week to study us history and economics on my own spare time.

JVParkour
06-30-2010, 12:23 PM
I found out about Ron in Oct. 2008.

JamesButabi
06-30-2010, 12:29 PM
After the primary.....I wrote him in for the general.

hbeachrealist
06-30-2010, 12:33 PM
I found out about Ron Paul after I woke up and started listening to Alex Jones.

djdellisanti4
06-30-2010, 12:36 PM
I didn't find out about Ron Paul until about a year ago really. I didn't get very politically active until the last presidential election, and I voted McCain. After finding out about RP though, it was very refreshing to see someone so logical who seemed to be so in line with how I felt about a lot of things.

Are you from Virginia Beach?

I didnt become a Ron Paul guy until December 08 unfortunatley.

Kýrie eléison
06-30-2010, 12:39 PM
Found out in 2007 just being on the Internet, but wasn't convinced - it just seemed like spam to me. I was neocon brainwashed and I thought that during the debates he was just crazy. It wasn't until Obama got elected that I really woke up.

Koz
06-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Even tho I wasn't a part of the revolution I will always be thankful for Ron Paul for getting me interested in learning more about how the governments works, our us history, us constitution, and economics.

You are part of the Revolution now. We all are.

someperson
06-30-2010, 12:49 PM
In case it hasn't been said already, welcome :)

Mr.Magnanimous
06-30-2010, 12:57 PM
Like others on this thread, I remember first hearing Ron Paul in the debates in '07, and thought he was crazy (forgive me, I was young, and thought things like the CIA and the Federal Reserve were indispensable). But sometime in 2008, I remember hearing him in an interview, and he sounded pretty reasonable, so I started reading up on him and his beliefs. the more I read, the more I became ashamed of the things I had said about Ron in the past (things like crazy and idiot come to mind). I wasn't old enough to vote at the time, so my opinion didn't count but still.....

However, I'm a firm supporter now, and have read The Revolution: A Manifesto, End the Fed, and I am currently trying to get my hands on A Foreign Policy of Freedom.

charrob
06-30-2010, 01:16 PM
i'm a registered democrat and never thought to change my registration to republican-- so was unable to vote for him in the primary. (However, prior to the primaries, i heard him in the debates and was routing for him.)

JasonC
06-30-2010, 01:16 PM
It's nice to read some new Paulite stories. Keep them coming all you newbies :)

tremendoustie
06-30-2010, 01:19 PM
I http://www.pikevillehospital.org/images/heart-icon.jpg newbies.

Standing Like A Rock
06-30-2010, 01:25 PM
I was underage so I couldn't vote last primary, but will be able to starting this year (my first ever vote will be for Peter Schiff).

Legend1104
06-30-2010, 01:35 PM
I am ready to admit that I too am a post-convert.

JCF
06-30-2010, 01:39 PM
I always kind of knew about him in late 08'

Didn't get interested until about mid 09'

RCA
06-30-2010, 01:51 PM
http://eslblogroom.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/welcome-aboard.jpg

BlackTerrel
06-30-2010, 01:55 PM
I found out about him before the election. But didn't really learn more about him and start supporting him until after.

But I didn't vote in either primary anyway.

LisaNY
06-30-2010, 02:03 PM
I am ashamed to admit that I wasn't really paying attention during the last election. I had a great job and was basically too wrapped up in my own life to watch the primaries. Like many others I woke up during the tarp vote when it was too late. I was so pissed off at mccain that I didn't vote at all, and after obama got elected I turned to fox news for comfort (more shame), listened to people like Levin (!) and even read Michelle Malkin's blog.

Than I had a political awakening during the Massachusetts Senate race. I don't live in Mass but became interested once Scott Brown started leading in the polls. I watched the debates online and was completely blown away, not by Brown, but by Libertarian candidate Joe Kennedy. I couldn't figure out why my conservative heroes were totally ignoring him and gushing over Brown. At that moment I realized these people were full of it and stopped listening to/watching all of them. It made me wonder who else I missed when I was relying on them for information. At that time many of you were posting on (what I now consider neo-con sites) praising Ron so I looked at him more closely. I watched all his videos and looked at his voting record and fell completely in love :)

I'm sorry I missed out when you needed help. You can be sure I will do everything possible if he decides to run again.

Kotin
06-30-2010, 02:20 PM
These stories make 2007-2008 even more worth it..

brandon
06-30-2010, 02:38 PM
Makes me smile. Welcome guys.

klamath
06-30-2010, 02:39 PM
If you guys weren't for RP when you were born then how are we to trust you???:D
Welcome aboard:)

Bman
06-30-2010, 03:00 PM
If you guys weren't for RP when you were born then how are we to trust you???:D

Of course they were. Just takes time to work through the lies you are told growing up.

evilfunnystuff
06-30-2010, 04:20 PM
I remembered Ron from Aron Russo's America from Freedom to Fascism documentary and at least 1 Alex Jones movie. When I found out he was runnin for pres in 08 I was excited and studied more about him.

Next thing I knew I was out saturating local neighborhoods with home made signs in the middle of the night, I even got hassled by the cops once for puttin em on telephone polls, apparently that's illegal here. :rolleyes: and its illeagal for cops to accept political literature while on duty :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I threw parties for the debates and brought a few new people into the fold, people would be loudly cheerin ron and booing the dooshes. I prited up trifold flyers and handed em out talked to people put em on windshields, participated in sign waves with the local meetup once in blizzard conditions.

I can't wait for 2012, specialy with my new 14 inch wide printer' and t-shirt equipment. :D

TinCanToNA
06-30-2010, 04:27 PM
I didn't find out until the Spring of last year. Prior to that I was very apathetic and cynical towards the political process. I'm still cynical, but definitely not apathetic anymore! Dr. Paul has cured my apathy, as the poster in the famous photo says.

Agorism
06-30-2010, 04:29 PM
I voted for Chuck Baldwin based on Ron Paul's endorsement.

Koz
06-30-2010, 04:30 PM
This gives me hope, the fact that a lot of people here didn't know enough about the good doctor or liberty and sound money for that matter (including myself I'm ashamed to say) to have an affect on the election last time.

I wonder how much our numbers have grown? The more educated the people become the better off we all will be. Is this just the start? I have no clue about the answers to these questions, but it does give me hope in these desparate times.

Guitarzan
06-30-2010, 04:31 PM
He's catching on, I'm telling ya!

Vessol
06-30-2010, 04:35 PM
I heard about him quite a bit before the 2008 elections, at least back in 2006 I knew about him. I never really took him too seriously though. I didn't vote in the primaries, but during the elections I remember someone saying they were going to fill out his name. So at the poll I figured "Eh, what the hell" and wrote in his name, I thought they were all wasted votes anyways. Then in early 2009 I started reading up on a lot of stuff and here we are now. I'm not sure what was the watershed moment, it was more a watershed period of a few months.

StudentForPaul08
06-30-2010, 04:37 PM
Make a poll!

evilfunnystuff
06-30-2010, 04:40 PM
Make a poll!

A 30 foot poll?

Baptist
06-30-2010, 04:42 PM
October 07.

cswake
06-30-2010, 04:48 PM
I'm curious how this has changed since I made a similar poll back in 2008:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=79432

Pre-May 2007 26 20.00%
May 2007 16 12.31%
June 2007 16 12.31%
July 2007 8 6.15%
August 2007 6 4.62%
September 2007 14 10.77%
October 2007 22 16.92%
November 2007 12 9.23%
December 2007 8 6.15%
January 2008 2 1.54%

StudentForPaul08
06-30-2010, 04:57 PM
A 30 foot poll?

Pole= 30 ft pole

Poll = statistical tally!

someperson
06-30-2010, 05:02 PM
A 30 foot poll is a poll to commemorate 30 foot pole guy :)

Found it! Not the best quality, though
YouTube - dedicated Ron Paul supporter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gGFZnspqXU)

Christianlibertarian
06-30-2010, 05:24 PM
I didn't find out about him until after the general election in which I voted for McCain (excuse me while I vomit).

After I discovered him, I couldn't stop watching his videos. I've come so far that I voted libertarian against Scott Brown and wrote a blog about why. One of my proudest moments.

He's catching on...

TNforPaul45
06-30-2010, 05:47 PM
I heard about ron paul in 2005 when he was frequently on the Alex Jones radio program. Thank God for Alex.

molly_pitcher
06-30-2010, 06:03 PM
For those of us who were pushing and working during the primaries, these stories make it all worth while! Thanks guys! I'm glad to know not all ears were deaf!!

silentshout
06-30-2010, 06:29 PM
I heard about him in 2008, but wrote him off back then because he was a Republican. I figured he was another pro-endless war, neocon/police state Republican. I was basically just voting against another Bush by not voting for McCain.

I didn't even pay attention to the Republican primary or debates. I wasn't too enthused with Obama but I thought he would at least turn us away from some of the horrific policies of the Bush administration, and end the wars. I was wrong of course.

it was only in early 2009 that I watched some old clips of the GOP debates and I really kicked myself for not paying attention. I would have definitely voted for Ron.

surf
06-30-2010, 07:40 PM
it makes me smile to think of all the new folks and all the new ideas that will be brought to the next election cycle.

Blimp? that's soooo last decade!

newbies - we need to keep spreading the word.

tremendoustie
06-30-2010, 07:45 PM
it makes me smile to think of all the new folks and all the new ideas that will be brought to the next election cycle.

Ok, it might not have been the most efficient use of funds, but it's a fun thing to point to illustrate the power of the grassroots.

We rented an effing blimp. :D

StateofTrance
06-30-2010, 07:46 PM
He's catching on, I'm telling ya!

++++

Koz
06-30-2010, 07:48 PM

That's what we all need to be doing for the next couple of years, hell, for the rest of our lives.

The Dude
06-30-2010, 08:02 PM
I supported McCain in 2008 and basically wrote Ron off as a weirdo. Back then of course, I supported both wars and basically the neocon foreign policy. Then after the 2008 loss I began to explore other realms of the political spectrum and found that I actually connected heavily with libertarianism, which brought me of course to Ron. I immediately fell in love with the guy and have been loaning out books from my RP library left and right ever since. Every day I become more libertarian. I am an example of why people shouldn't be so quick to attack Glenn Beck.

justinc.1089
06-30-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm really surprised at how many people have woke up AFTER the presidential campaign! Its just really surprising to me many people have paid enough attention to wake up outside of an election time.

I was always apathetic about politics, but figured I would watch one or two of the Republican debates, and probably end up voting for McCain (UGH!) in the primary, and then the Republican the general.

Then I saw Ron Paul, and after one or two debates, despite him having like no talking time, he got through to me and made me think, and I realized Ron Paul was NOT a typical corrupt politician.

I figured McCain was, but I liked McCain because I knew he was a war veteran and I thought at the time working to secure our borders. I had seen him on the Daily Show a few times, and he seemed very likeable and trustworthy, so I figured he was good enough to vote for. I didn't care really because I felt like the whole system was hopeless and we had no one fighting for us.

So when I saw Ron Paul in the debates, I realized we had someone on our side, AND he made me see the light about the wars and the drug war as well. Before Paul, I was, sadly, a neo-conservative without knowing it. Now I am proudly a pro-life libertarian.

I'm estatic about all you newbies lol!

Welcome to the freedom r[evol]ution!

We have all worked very hard to be able to welcome you all here, as many worked hard to welcome us as well. I hate you all missed out on the presidential campaign! It was the hardest and most epic fight for freedom in my life without a doubt. There was nothing like it. Going out talking to people getting yelled and screamed at, attacked by dogs, evading police, sign waving, meeting new people, becoming more intelligent, and watching our hardest failures and greatest triumphs are all things I hope to never forget- including the bad parts.

I don't know about other people here, but I have put myself in hard, uncomfortable situations repeatedly trying to share the freedom message with people like you guys. So whenever people like you guys think about it and agree its a great moment.

If you guys stick around, when 2012 comes around if you guys all work for freedom you will understand exactly what I'm trying to say. I'm sure some of you are already working for liberty candidates in the elections coming up, so you probably already get what I'm saying.:D:cool:

driege
06-30-2010, 08:29 PM
I was vaguely aware of Ron Paul and watched the debate where he got into it with Giuliani, but I didn't really support him. I was pro-war at the time, but I do remember respecting his beliefs. It was actually Peter Schiff that brought me to this site, which eventually led to a conversion.

justinc.1089
06-30-2010, 08:51 PM
I supported McCain in 2008 and basically wrote Ron off as a weirdo. Back then of course, I supported both wars and basically the neocon foreign policy. Then after the 2008 loss I began to explore other realms of the political spectrum and found that I actually connected heavily with libertarianism, which brought me of course to Ron. I immediately fell in love with the guy and have been loaning out books from my RP library left and right ever since. Every day I become more libertarian. I am an example of why people shouldn't be so quick to attack Glenn Beck.

1. Glenn Beck speaks to millions of people daily, and therefore should be and is much more informed than you were back then, or myself as well, before we knew about Ron Paul.

2. Beck tried to destroy Ron Paul, and associated him with 9/11 truthers.

3. Beck called all Paul supporters domestic terrorists.

To be fair, recently on Freedom Watch he did claim he is now a libertarian, but judging from his past he probably is not, so he should prove he is a libertarian by what he says on tv about things and not just by his claim of being a libertarian.

If he supports Ron Paul or Gary Johnson in 2012, he will prove he has indeed become a libertarian.

Right now, I would suggest for people to watch Stossel and Napolitano, but not Beck until he has proven himself a libertarian. I'm optimistic about him, but I won't trust him until he has proven himself in 2012.

I will go so far as to predict his guy in 2012 will be Romney, just as it was in 2008. Hannity and O'Reilly pushed Giuliani back then, but Beck was pushing Romney, and I'm guessing Beck will still push Romney in 12.

So while I don't think there is justification to compare Beck to Hannity, O'Reilly, Olbermann, or whoever, I do think there is justification to not tell people to watch Beck until Beck proves himself in 2012. I mean what if he is 100% right today, and then he guides people towards someone like Gingrich or Romney in 2012? Then he will not have helped us, he will have co-opted us.

Mr.Magnanimous
06-30-2010, 08:58 PM
Well ever since I became a Ron Paul supporter, i've spoken about him incessantly, Mainly at school (especially in Government class) and to my family. While in school, i mentioned him every day and would make some people repeat his name so they wouldn't forget it.

I'm here to stay, and I'll definitely help out with spreading the message of liberty. I'm psyched for 2012. RP better run!

JCF
06-30-2010, 09:19 PM
A lot of it has to do with being out of power, right wingers have time to explore themselves and while it's true that a lot of them are wasting time attacking Obama 24/7 only to say "we need to put republicans back in no matter what"; I'll tell ya, a lot of people I never expected have embraced libertarianism, even some liberals who are getting upset with Obama are starting to look at people like RP in another way; by no means have they stopped supporting Obama, but I've heard the 'Ron Paul' name float around whenever they're talking about who they would support/vote for if it was 07' & 08' again.

I've tried to get my girlfriend in on it... But... It's not easy because she doesn't like politics and if you're not interested in politics, it's hard to understand Dr. Paul. She's a mainstream liberal by default, I kind of converted her quickly on the issue of gun control, but everything else has been a challenge because I don't want to push her too far, I don't want to be that annoying guy who won't shut up about politics. I think a better approach is to do it in small doses because she's still too busy trying to find her place in the world or whatever.

My parents? Liberals who don't use the internet all that much because "they don't trust it". I wanted to get them to watch that For Liberty movie but I can't afford it right now, plus I'm leaving for 3 months to my family in Oregon because my grandma is sick. They actually just watched that recent MSNBC documentary which made me cringe, now they're grinning at me thinking I'm still a neocon... Truthfully I avoid politics with them, I've probably only mentioned Ron Paul once because I know they won't look him up.

--

On the issue of Glenn Beck, 2012 will be where he shows his true colors. Maybe even now, and during the general.

---

molly_pitcher
06-30-2010, 09:58 PM
I do think there is justification to not tell people to watch Beck until Beck proves himself in 2012. I mean what if he is 100% right today, and then he guides people towards someone like Gingrich or Romney in 2012? Then he will not have helped us, he will have co-opted us.

^this

Kregisen
06-30-2010, 10:01 PM
A Ron Paul supporting friend kept posting Ron Paul videos on facebook and after a while he grew on me...I wanna say I "converted" about a year ago.

tremendoustie
06-30-2010, 10:06 PM
I've tried to get my girlfriend in on it... But... It's not easy because she doesn't like politics and if you're not interested in politics, it's hard to understand Dr. Paul. She's a mainstream liberal by default, I kind of converted her quickly on the issue of gun control, but everything else has been a challenge because I don't want to push her too far, I don't want to be that annoying guy who won't shut up about politics. I think a better approach is to do it in small doses because she's still too busy trying to find her place in the world or whatever.

Just an idea, take it or leave it, but I suggest you try taking it from a perceptive of anti-violence. That the government is using violence in coercion against peaceful people all the time, and you wish people could interact peacefully.

That type of approach may work better with some "liberals", as well as those not interested in politics, per se.

My parents? Liberals who don't use the internet all that much because "they don't trust it". I wanted to get them to watch that For Liberty movie but I can't afford it right now,

You're in luck! :)

YouTube - For Liberty: How the Ron Paul Revolution Watered the Withered Tree of Liberty (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIcIkoOwp7s)

plus I'm leaving for 3 months to my family in Oregon because my grandma is sick. They actually just watched that recent MSNBC documentary which made me cringe, now they're grinning at me thinking I'm still a neocon... Truthfully I avoid politics with them, I've probably only mentioned Ron Paul once because I know they won't look him up.

How about loaning them a book? Perhaps, "The Revolution", or "Meltdown".

specsaregood
06-30-2010, 10:09 PM

Next time around we're gonna have to put a billboard up in orbit --viewable from the ground.

I'm trying to be happy and not resentful about all the newbs that weren't there when we needed em. :) To make up for it, you all need to dedicate yourselves to converting 5 more people before the next election cycle. gogogo.

TNforPaul45
06-30-2010, 11:31 PM
I wonder if we can raise enough money to write, on the surface of the moon, with a giant laser:

RON PAUL FOR LIBERTY!

Now that would outshine the blimp. We could call it, the "Allen-Parsons Project"

Corto_Maltese
07-01-2010, 03:49 AM
In January 2008 I read in a swedish online paper about the republican debate in Reagan Library, and it mentioned how Ron Paul got the crowd going with his stance on foreign policy. I had read about his views on the subject a little before, so i decided to youtube the debate and watch it. When i got to the part where Romney and Mccain were arguing on timetables and then Paul blasted them both, I was sold on him. Just couldnt belive there was a guy that honest.
It starts at 3.25
YouTube - Pt 7/9 Republican Presidential Debate 1-30-08 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz69vrZoVuU)

libertybrewcity
07-01-2010, 04:55 AM
i found out about him in June via youtube videos. i still voted for mccain in november. i would take it back in a second if i could.

Eroberer
07-01-2010, 05:23 AM
Ron Paul's response was excellent. In this moment, he showed exactly how mundane and juvenile the entire thought process of modern day politics for the masses has become. Ron Paul was and still is in a league of his own.