PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else hate the prescription system as much as I do?

.Tom
06-29-2010, 09:34 PM
Talk about a corporatist policy that is driving costs out of this world.

First, you have to pay a STATE-SANCTIONED doctor a fuckload of money for his permission to let you put something into your own body.

Then, you have to pay a STATE-SANCTIONED pharmacy more fucking money to take some pills out of one bottle and put them in another because they have a coercive monopoly on legally storing these pills.

Then, you have to pay a STATE-SANCTIONED pharmaceutical company with a coercive monopoly on producing a certain substance (aka "patent") an absolute assload of cash for the actual pill. It's also important to note that the FDA's ridiculous regulation and approval of these drugs contributes a lot to their prices as well.

With that said, no wonder we have such ridiculous medical prices in this country. You are literally FORCED to play into the corporatist system or else you aren't allowed to treat yourself how you see fit.

Abolish all compulsory medical licensing, abolish all drug regulation, abolish all drug patents, and abolish the prescription system.

Then again, this will probably never happen because the doctors, AMA, big medical schools, big pharmacies, big pharmaceutical companies, insurance companies, and everyone else involved would have to actually compete in a free market instead of living on the gravy train of corporate welfare.

Icymudpuppy
06-29-2010, 09:38 PM
What makes you think you really need that artificial substance in the first place?

tremendoustie
06-29-2010, 09:38 PM
I'm with you.

Dr.3D
06-29-2010, 09:41 PM
That was what I found refreshing when I was down in Mexico. I could go into most pharmacies and just buy what I wanted.

Many so called prescription only items in this country don't need to be by prescription only and it has always bothered me that they are.

.Tom
06-29-2010, 09:49 PM
What makes you think you really need that artificial substance in the first place?

What makes you think that I should be kidnapped and put in a cage if I try to buy it without someone else's permission?

It's not all "artificial" anyway. Morphine, a drug I like, comes from a plant.

noxagol
06-29-2010, 09:55 PM
Yes. While I would be hesitant to just go buy some medicine of this nature without consulting a doctor first, I shouldn't have to.

Icymudpuppy
06-29-2010, 09:56 PM
What makes you think that I should be kidnapped and put in a cage if I try to buy it without someone else's permission?

It's not all "artificial" anyway. Morphine, a drug I like, comes from a plant.

I never said you should be put in a cage, but you just mentioned your state sanctioned doctor, and I wonder what makes you think you should be taking his advice when he is likely bought and paid for by the pharmaceutical company that supplies the very drug he is prescribing you.

As for Morphine, it is one of many drugs that is refined from Poppy seeds. Including Codeine, Heroine, Angel Dust, Opium, and several others.

Last I checked, Poppies are a legal crop, unlike Hemp, so why don't you grow and refine your own Morphine? Of course, unlike hemp, poppies won't grow anywhere.

.Tom
06-29-2010, 10:07 PM
I never said you should be put in a cage, but you just mentioned your state sanctioned doctor, and I wonder what makes you think you should be taking his advice when he is likely bought and paid for by the pharmaceutical company that supplies the very drug he is prescribing you.

When did I ever say I should be taking a doctor's advice?

As for Morphine, it is one of many drugs that is refined from Poppy seeds. Including Codeine, Heroine, Angel Dust, Opium, and several others.

Actually, it's derived from the opium in the poppy pod. The seeds only contain trace amounts of alkaloids.

Last I checked, Poppies are a legal crop, unlike Hemp, so why don't you grow and refine your own Morphine? Of course, unlike hemp, poppies won't grow anywhere.

It's actually on sketchy legal ground. You could theoretically grow them for "decoration purposes", but harvesting the opium would be illegal. The point of my topic was wanting to obtain these substances legally. Doing what you are suggesting would be illegal and I might as well just go buy some heroin.

micahnelson
06-29-2010, 11:25 PM
Im with you except for antibiotics.

In that case misuse leads to a loss of effectiveness for everyone. Your taking of antibiotics every time you have the sniffles makes the nasties out there more resistant overall.

tangent4ronpaul
06-29-2010, 11:30 PM

First, you have to pay a STATE-SANCTIONED doctor a fuckload of money for his permission to let you put something into your own body.

Then, you have to pay a STATE-SANCTIONED pharmacy more fucking money to take some pills out of one bottle and put them in another because they have a coercive monopoly on legally storing these pills.

Then, you have to pay a STATE-SANCTIONED pharmaceutical company with a coercive monopoly on producing a certain substance (aka "patent") an absolute assload of cash for the actual pill. It's also important to note that the FDA's ridiculous regulation and approval of these drugs contributes a lot to their prices as well.

With that said, no wonder we have such ridiculous medical prices in this country. You are literally FORCED to play into the corporatist system or else you aren't allowed to treat yourself how you see fit.

Abolish all compulsory medical licensing, abolish all drug regulation, abolish all drug patents, and abolish the prescription system.

Then again, this will probably never happen because the doctors, AMA, big medical schools, big pharmacies, big pharmaceutical companies, insurance companies, and everyone else involved would have to actually compete in a free market instead of living on the gravy train of corporate welfare.

I liked your rant so much that I cross posted it on a medical forum where I am a moderator.

RIGHT ON!

.Tom
06-29-2010, 11:37 PM
Im with you except for antibiotics.

In that case misuse leads to a loss of effectiveness for everyone. Your taking of antibiotics every time you have the sniffles makes the nasties out there more resistant overall.

So it's okay to kidnap me and put me in a cage for putting more penicillin into my own body than you arbitrarily approve of?

AcousticFoodie
06-30-2010, 12:02 AM
So it's okay to kidnap me and put me in a cage for putting more penicillin into my own body than you arbitrarily approve of?

He never mentioned anything about jailing you. I would prefer people get scripts from healthcare providers rather than self buy and administer and make superbugs that will screw us all over.

Dr.3D
06-30-2010, 12:20 AM
In many cases, the modern physician is just the product of the evolution of the medicine man of our ancestors. Yes, they can show through science how what they are prescribing works, but they are still over priced because they have managed to limit the number of physicians who are able to be graduated from the educational institutions. This is done to maintain a smaller pool of physicians and thus push up the price of doing business with them. Most of the course work required to be a physician shouldn't be required at all, but the educational institutions want to make a buck too, so they have managed to add on a lot of extra courses to do so. This not only makes more money for the 'colleges' but also employs more instructors and thus guarantees more jobs in the educational system.

They have managed to maintain a small and exclusive club where only the select few are able to manage to afford to pay the dues for admission into that club.

/rant

Live_Free_Or_Die
06-30-2010, 12:48 AM

That was fucking hilarious. In future regurgitation's of this comedy I suggest modifying the first sentence to also include state sanctioned insurance.

First, if you don't have an overpriced STATE SANCTIONED insurance policy covering a bunch of shit you don't need then you have to pay a...

Have you researched any holistic alternatives or overseas acquisition of pharmaceuticals?

.Tom
06-30-2010, 01:35 AM
That was fucking hilarious. In future regurgitation's of this comedy I suggest modifying the first sentence to also include state sanctioned insurance.

Have you researched any holistic alternatives or overseas acquisition of pharmaceuticals?

Well, the reason I didn't include insurance is because you're not necessarily forced to obtain it in order to obtain medicine. Yes, it is certainly state-sanctioned and certainly drives up costs and medicine is certainly expensive without it, but it is still possible to obtain your drugs without it. However, in a free market, insurance would become largely irrelevant and used for catastrophic emergencies at most.

And yes, I use cannabis which is an amazing holistic alternative. As far as overseas acquisition, I've found it virtually impossible to obtain any narcotics.

teacherone
06-30-2010, 01:36 AM
He never mentioned anything about jailing you. I would prefer people get scripts from healthcare providers rather than self buy and administer and make superbugs that will screw us all over.

yeah right-- it's the DOCTORS that over-prescribe anti-biotics. Most people would not stuff their faces with medicine if DOCTORS were not paid off to tell them to do so.

teacherone
06-30-2010, 01:37 AM
Well, the reason I didn't include insurance is because you're not necessarily forced to obtain it in order to obtain medicine.

umm...obamacare?

heard about it?

hate to be the one to break the news...

.Tom
06-30-2010, 02:04 AM
umm...obamacare?

heard about it?

hate to be the one to break the news...

Yes, I know about Obamacare. However it is not in effect right now, and I do not currently have insurance, nor will I purchase any when it comes in effect.

.Tom
06-30-2010, 02:08 AM

Yes, he did mention jailing me. Any law that you don't follow will have you thrown in jail, or fined, which if you don't pay will have you thrown in jail. Therefore, if you say that you don't believe people should be allowed to ingest whatever antibiotics they want, you are advocating jailing people who choose to do so.