PDA

View Full Version : Mitch Daniels for President?

Brian4Liberty
06-29-2010, 06:49 PM
Mitch Daniels for President in 2012 is being promoted. Anyone from his State have an opinion? Any other info?

Fozz
06-29-2010, 06:58 PM
I don't know his positions.

Brian4Liberty
06-29-2010, 07:30 PM
From what I can tell, he is the latest stealth neo-conservative for POTUS. He is going socially liberal to gain some additional support.

libertybrewcity
06-29-2010, 07:36 PM
im down with Ron Paul for president in 2012

Brian4Liberty
06-29-2010, 07:39 PM
A long article. The interesting connection here could possibly be Bush's Prescription drug program:

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2001/0107.thompson.html

Dick Cheney's Dick Cheney
Meet OMB Director Mitch Daniels: The most powerful man in the Bush administration you have never heard of.

By Nicholas Thompson

When George W. Bush signed his $1.3 trillion tax cut into law, he thanked three people first: "Mr. Vice President, Secretary O'Neill, and Director Daniels." Mr. Vice President? Yup. We all know Cheney. Secretary O'Neill? Sure. That silver-haired guy who used to run the aluminum company. Director Daniels? Hmmm...

Most people don't know Mitch Daniels, director of the Office of Management and Budget, but they should. The OMB chief has the most critical but unheralded job in government. He gets to stick his fingers in almost every federal pie, and Daniels has accumulated remarkable power since his swearing in. He has developed a close relationship with the president and inspired confidence among those around him. In fact, he has been deeply connected with all the decisions that have defined the Bush administration so far.
After leaving Hudson, Daniels moved over to the pharmaceutical giant Eli Lilly, the largest company in Indiana. Daniels started in government relations, advanced to direct North American operations, and then moved further upstairs to direct strategic planning. While there he earned a reputation for tight, efficient control, eliminating offices for example and making everyone, including himself, work out of cubicles.

It was hard to work in a pharmaceutical company's upper management in the '90s without dirtying one's hands a little. Lilly, for example, saved money for years by testing their drugs on subjects off the Indianapolis streets, many with substance abuse problems desperate for Lilly's cash, according to a 1996 Wall Street Journal report. Daniels didn't start the practice but he surely knew about it. The company also helped lead the industry's siege of Capitol Hill, morphing into a massively powerful interest group and getting government to serve the industry's interests and not necessarily the public's: rewriting legislation to accelerate the FDA's drug approval process, extending patent terms, and stifling generic-drug makers.

Knightskye
06-29-2010, 08:09 PM
rewriting legislation to accelerate the FDA's drug approval process, extending patent terms, and stifling generic-drug makers.

That sounds like a Ron Paul proposal -- easing FDA regulations so more drugs can get out to market.

How is he on foreign policy, though? Any Republican will sing Hayek's praises these days, but where does he stand when it counts?

Brian4Liberty
06-29-2010, 08:34 PM
That sounds like a Ron Paul proposal -- easing FDA regulations so more drugs can get out to market.

How is he on foreign policy, though? Any Republican will sing Hayek's praises these days, but where does he stand when it counts?

"extending patent terms, and stifling generic-drug makers" doesn't sound very Ron Paul. Sounds like more corporatism to me.

Not sure on foreign policy. He was Bush's budget director that said the Iraq war wouldn't cost much. He is being brought up as a Presidential candidate by people like Bill Kristol, Dan Quayle, The Weekly Standard and Fox News Sunday.

MRK
06-29-2010, 09:52 PM
I'm from Indiana. I have friends who are smokers. While I can't verify the numbers, they have told me that the price for packs of cigarettes has more than doubled since Mitch took office. Was there a tobacco shortage? Nope, there were multiple tax increases on these goods during his time in office which are appropriated to fund health care coverage for certain classes of people.