PDA

View Full Version : Hulu takes a step backward

WaltM
06-29-2010, 02:38 PM
as all technologies eventually do (when they see the money)

A company that was born and famous for being internet alternative, now goes back to compete (bite) the hand that feeds them (TV)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100629/tv_nm/us_hulu_1

specsaregood
06-29-2010, 02:42 PM

A company that was born and famous for being internet alternative, now goes back to compete (bite) the hand that feeds them (TV)

How so? It looks to me like they are simply ADDING a feature.

Under the widely anticipated move, reported by Reuters and others earlier this month, users will still be able to watch TV shows and movies on Hulu.com for free, Kilar said in a blog post.

He said the subscription plan would make available full seasons of current TV shows, as well as back seasons of hit programs like "Arrested Development" and "The X-Files." He described Hulu Plus as "incremental and complementary" to the existing Hulu service, which offers a limited number of TV episodes that can be watched over a PC

emazur
06-29-2010, 02:43 PM
Sounds to me like it'll stay the same, but they'll be adding additional features that require $. Don't see the problem here. I'm happy as long as I can still watch Stossel for free, and even if I can't in the future, I won't blame them b/c 4 or 5 15 second commercials during the entire show can't be much of a revenue generator either for Fox or Hulu.

dannno
06-29-2010, 02:43 PM
We'll see, they already only offer limited amounts of tv shows for free.. they are still doing that, but they are adding in back-seasons of entire series for $9.99/mo..

If their free service degrades a lot to try to attract people to the pay service then that would suck.

TheBlackPeterSchiff
06-29-2010, 02:44 PM
I see nothing wrong with this. You know how much money it costs to run a site like Hulu?

WaltM
06-29-2010, 02:51 PM
I see nothing wrong with this. You know how much money it costs to run a site like Hulu?

revenue + profit after ads pay in.

it has very little interaction with customers, just storage and streaming, mostly automated.

WaltM
06-29-2010, 02:53 PM
If their free service degrades a lot to try to attract people to the pay service then that would suck.

while I hope the best, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the eventual route.

I see 2 major possibilities :

a) go all ads, all free

b) go all paid (which makes it redundant if you just want to watch TV for a fee)

or three, best (worst) of both worlds
c) go all paid AND get ads (do any of you remember when cable TV was ad-free?)

specsaregood
06-29-2010, 02:54 PM

Please provide evidence that the hulu service makes money. I sorta doubt it.

it has very little interaction with customers, just storage and streaming, mostly automated.
Streaming and storage cost a lot of money.

With that said, I think the hulu advertisements are more effective.

FrankRep
06-29-2010, 02:55 PM

Welcome to Capitalism. Not everything is free.

WaltM
06-29-2010, 02:57 PM
Welcome to Capitalism. Not everything is free.

yep :)

WaltM
06-29-2010, 02:59 PM
Please provide evidence that the hulu service makes money. I sorta doubt it.

Streaming and storage cost a lot of money.

With that said, I think the hulu advertisements are more effective.

just a quick google search shows you , they're merely complaining they're not making enough (which can be solved by selling more, for less, to the point where average Joes, real estate agents, eBay sellers can afford it)
http://www.businessinsider.com/hulu-revenue-estimate-whacked-by-a-third-2009-4

dannno
06-29-2010, 03:08 PM
Only 2 more weeks until White Collar starts again!!

Nate-ForLiberty
06-29-2010, 03:13 PM
flash player is the Suck!

WaltM
06-29-2010, 03:20 PM

i bet it runs better than your car :P

specsaregood
06-29-2010, 03:24 PM
just a quick google search shows you , they're merely complaining they're not making enough (which can be solved by selling more, for less, to the point where average Joes, real estate agents, eBay sellers can afford it)
http://www.businessinsider.com/hulu-revenue-estimate-whacked-by-a-third-2009-4

Thanks for that. I guess they do get by since I assume they dont have to pay for a lot of the content for the most part. And i wonder if they are able to offset a number of costs onto their other departments.

But still not nearly as well as the silverlight technology that netflix transitioned to (from flash) for their streaming service.

libertybrewcity
06-29-2010, 03:25 PM
i actually really lke hulu. as long as they don't stop putting shows online i like them.

Nate-ForLiberty
06-29-2010, 03:32 PM

90% of the objects on earth run better than my car! :D

Reason
06-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Seems like a reasonable cost for such a service.

TheBlackPeterSchiff
06-29-2010, 03:52 PM

As if storage and bandwidth come cheap.

These places cost a pretty penny to maintain:

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2009/5/18/1242677586431/Server-farm-in-San-Jose-C-001.jpg

Trust me, I worked at one.

dannno
06-29-2010, 03:59 PM

Compared to what?! Fucking SilverPOSLight that netflix uses!?!

Hulu's streams are DAMN good on my 42" HD television.... maybe a TAD choppier than regular TV, but not even noticeable once you start actually watching the show..

LibForestPaul
06-29-2010, 06:30 PM
480? or 1080?

specsaregood
06-29-2010, 07:01 PM
Compared to what?! Fucking SilverPOSLight that netflix uses!?!

You gotta be joking. Silverlight kicks flash's ass. What problems have you had with netflix streaming or silverlight in particular?

nayjevin
06-29-2010, 10:10 PM
Anybody know about these?

http://www.mininova.org/devices

EGreat EG-M34A NMT

Functionality BitTorrent downloads, Windows file sharing
Playback HD up to 1080p, all major codecs supported (XviD, H.264, etc)
Storage No internal storage, 2x USB 2.0, 1x ESATA
Connectivity Ethernet LAN, optional WiFi (802.11g)
Price $159.00

http://i49.tinypic.com/347bodc.jpg

WaltM
06-29-2010, 10:33 PM
Thanks for that. I guess they do get by since I assume they dont have to pay for a lot of the content for the most part.

Exactly, distribution and reselling is much cheaper than production, even better if it's not PHYSICALLY distributing. More reach, more audience, charge more for advertising. Plus since people CHOSE what they watch, you can selectively target the advertising content.

And i wonder if they are able to offset a number of costs onto their other departments.

I'm not sure how many departments they have.

But still not nearly as well as the silverlight technology that netflix transitioned to (from flash) for their streaming service.

i'll check that out.

we agree they all beat itunes, right?

WaltM
06-29-2010, 10:45 PM
As if storage and bandwidth come cheap.

These places cost a pretty penny to maintain:

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2009/5/18/1242677586431/Server-farm-in-San-Jose-C-001.jpg

Trust me, I worked at one.

cheap as in I can afford to make a Hulu.com clone? No.

Cheap as in doable, and affordable after advertising revenue? YES.

Cheaper when done in bulk with systematic design? YES.
(they have little to worry of databases, downtime, DDoS, peak hours, saturation...once their few months of testing is passed...NOT TO MENTION they can take advantage of multiple cloud server, distributed computing, peer to peer technologies that consumers either don't have access to or have no need to make it worthy)

Cheaper than burning the shows and movies on discs and selling them for 50 cents each? Hell yes, or else why wouldn't they do it? Trying to care for the environment?

What do you do at a datacenter? Admin?

Put it this way, if netflix can outsource the shipping work and RENT discs to you, what difficulty would there be SELLING it to you (and skip the counting work when it gets back to them)?

dannno
06-29-2010, 10:47 PM
You gotta be joking. Silverlight kicks flash's ass. What problems have you had with netflix streaming or silverlight in particular?

It looks like shit compared to hulu, that's what I've noticed.. it's grainy..

Hulu runs at 480p and netflix runs at 360p..

Huge difference on the big screen..

WaltM
06-29-2010, 10:48 PM

480p is acceptable on a 42"???

Then I think I'm ready to get one!

specsaregood
06-29-2010, 11:03 PM

Funny, I get the exact opposite.

All there streams are at a minimum of 480p, have been for years. some stuff streams at 720p, for some devices.

That's all I ever watch it on.