PDA

View Full Version : Stossel: Military is what is great about America

Cdn_for_liberty
06-29-2010, 12:26 PM
YouTube - What's Great About America? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSt-ce4RQjo)

what's he trying to say in this video?

is Stossel changing his stance on foreign policy?

Sentient Void
06-29-2010, 12:35 PM
Hrmmm.... this makes me raise a hairy eyeball... what's his angle? Is it a trojan horse to get people to listen to ideas of *actual* liberty?

I hope so.

Krugerrand
06-29-2010, 12:46 PM
His approach is an historical one. He's praising the military for leaving countries to self rule and not taking them over. That has been a relatively recent development in human history.

dannno
06-29-2010, 12:50 PM
His approach is an historical one. He's praising the military for leaving countries to self rule and not taking them over. That has been a relatively recent development in human history.

Unfortunately that is what is happening only in appearance.

Anti Federalist
06-29-2010, 12:54 PM
Unfortunately that is what is happening only in appearance.

Sadly, true.

Fredom101
06-29-2010, 12:55 PM
Wow. Sickening. Stossel is just as bad as the neocons. This is just a propaganda piece. What gives him the idea that "we get out"? Who's we? What about 8+ years in Iraq with no end in sight, and fucking with their country since the 80's?

Really John? People come to the US because of the military? The military "keeps us safe"? This is absurd and insulting.

Toureg89
06-29-2010, 12:58 PM
that's exactly what he said.

not too hard to understand.

he clearly, paraphrasing, "our military is unique, after we're done interferring in local politics, we LEAVE".

this WAS a historical characteristic of our military, UP UNTIL: Korea, Japan, Iraq, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, Italy, Germany, every other base in the middle east.

if i had to predict on how he is going to twist this, at the end of his our-military-is-special bit, he's going to ask that we END OUR EMPIRE.

MelissaWV
06-29-2010, 01:01 PM

he clearly, paraphrasing, "our military is unique, after we're done interferring in local politics, we LEAVE".

this WAS a historical characteristic of our military, UP UNTIL: Korea, Japan, Iraq, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, Italy, Germany, every other base in the middle east.

if i had to predict on how he is going to twist this, at the end of his our-military-is-special bit, he's going to ask that we END OUR EMPIRE.

Kind of.

Warfare's a little different now, too. Once upon a time you didn't "get out" when you won, because you won the land you were on. The US still controls spoils of the Spanish-American War, not to mention of course the spoils of the Civil War and all the skirmishes it took to battle Westward.

Omphfullas Zamboni
06-29-2010, 01:02 PM
Hi,

I think the US builds bases and...sort of...camps out for 50 years, correct?

Is Stossel marketing toward the Fox audience or is this his genuine perspective? Did he ever talk about the military on ABC?

MRoCkEd
06-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Well that was retarded.

RCA
06-29-2010, 01:15 PM

http://www.betterwritingskills.com/tip-w005.html

emazur
06-29-2010, 01:15 PM
Stossel is way off on this one.
- it's not an American's duty to give aid to foreign countries
- we do not go in and then get out. How would Vietnam have been if not for the Pentagon Papers being leaked?
http://expertwitnessradio.org/site/ellsberg/

As a Vietnam expert, Ellsberg was invited to contribute to the assemblage of classified papers regarding the execution of the Vietnam War. These documents later became collectively known as the Pentagon Papers. They revealed the knowledge, early on, that the war would not likely be won and that continuing the war would lead to many times more casualties than was admitted publicly. Further, the papers showed a deep cynicism towards the public and a disregard for the loss of life and injury suffered by soldiers and civilians.
Oh and let's not forgot the troops we have in 100+ bases around the world in places like Germany and Japan. We are not welcomed - Japan's PM recently resigned for ignoring the people's wish to relocate a US base in Okinawa
- Stossel assumes the wars needed to be fought in the first place, and ignores false flags like the Gulf of Tonkin and Lusitania and the planned Operation Northwoods

RCA
06-29-2010, 01:21 PM
Over the last few months, I've lost little bits of respect for various liberty movement leaders. I guess I'll add Stossel to the list.

Matt Collins
06-29-2010, 01:39 PM
No one's perfect, but John's on our side.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x93/sonicspikesalbum/Matt_and_Stossel_ee.jpg

Krugerrand
06-29-2010, 01:42 PM
http://www.betterwritingskills.com/tip-w005.html

I took a liking to "an historic" many years ago and have stuck with it ever since.

RCA
06-29-2010, 01:46 PM
I took a liking to "an historic" many years ago and have stuck with it ever since.

Fair enough.

dannno
06-29-2010, 02:03 PM
Over the last few months, I've lost little bits of respect for various liberty movement leaders. I guess I'll add Stossel to the list.

Ron Paul isn't on the list :D

RCA
06-29-2010, 02:04 PM
Ron Paul isn't on the list :D

Try again.

i.e. Chicago Gun Ban

Fox McCloud
06-29-2010, 02:06 PM
we're not "out" if we still have some form of troops in the country, bases, or continue to poke our nose in their politics....that's not "getting out"

Either way, looks like the first Stossel piece I'll be disappointed in...the clip he showed is just putting a positive light on "nation building".

edit: yes oh yes John, we go in, win a war, and go out...mhmm...

http://www.miprox.de/USA_speziell/US-Military-Bases-Worldwide.jpg

Sorry, John, but we're not unique; we're still an imperialist empire.

RCA
06-29-2010, 02:10 PM
we're not "out" if we still have some form of troops in the country, bases, or continue to poke our nose in their politics....that's not "getting out"

Either way, looks like the first Stossel piece I'll be disappointed in...the clip he showed is just putting a positive light on "nation building".

We have troops in China AND Russia???

Anti Federalist
06-29-2010, 02:13 PM
Well that was retarded.

LoL :D

Fox McCloud
06-29-2010, 02:14 PM
We have troops in China AND Russia???

for anything interested in numbers:

percentage of the world that we have troops in: 76-77%
percentage of the world we have military bases in: 30-32%

(number of countries vary, thus changing calculations).

Slutter McGee
06-29-2010, 03:41 PM
Wow. Sickening. Stossel is just as bad as the neocons. This is just a propaganda piece. What gives him the idea that "we get out"? Who's we? What about 8+ years in Iraq with no end in sight, and fucking with their country since the 80's?

Really John? People come to the US because of the military? The military "keeps us safe"? This is absurd and insulting.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Now Stossel is a neo-con huh. Becareful, we might disagree with the Judge on something....And then we will lose another hero to the evil neo-cons.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

lester1/2jr
06-29-2010, 04:03 PM
"instead of commandeering oil wells american soldiers build nurseries"

this guy is a libertarian????

yeah our military is great advertisement...for al queda!! not us

Anti Federalist
06-29-2010, 04:23 PM
"instead of commandeering oil wells american soldiers build nurseries"
this guy is a libertarian????

yeah our military is great advertisement...for al queda!! not us

He didn't say that?

Did he?

dannno
06-29-2010, 04:28 PM
He didn't say that?

Did he?

He also talked about how we help build infrastructure to give them clean water..

I was watching something about Afghanistan recently and they were saying how the people needed water really badly.. My roommate was like "well fuck, you're in the desert, what do you want?!" and right after that they talked about how they used to have water before the US military base opened up and sucked up all the water off their water table :mad:

lester1/2jr
06-29-2010, 04:40 PM
was this supposed to run on April 1? that's the only way it would make sense to me

heavenlyboy34
06-29-2010, 04:45 PM
You disappoint me, Mr Stossel. :(

awake
06-29-2010, 04:48 PM
"we help build infrastructure to give them clean water"

How about you let them build their own infrastructure and provide for themselves.

By doing all these great things for them, you prevent the most critical developments from taking place I.E. Working with their own people to help build wealth for themselves, their families and their descendants. You precisely hinder the voluntary participation in the universal division of labor.

For Pete's sake...let them do for themselves, otherwise you simply have a country of serfs enslaved to Gen. David Petraeus, military dictator of Iraq.

Baptist
06-29-2010, 04:48 PM

For sure.

emazur
06-29-2010, 04:51 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Now Stossel is a neo-con huh. Becareful, we might disagree with the Judge on something....And then we will lose another hero to the evil neo-cons.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

All Stossel threads henceforth will have at least 1 person saying "honey, honey, poison"

futo555
06-29-2010, 04:57 PM
Wow. Sickening. Stossel is just as bad as the neocons.

lol , most on this forum are no diffrent then neocons. My way or the highway!

QueenB4Liberty
06-29-2010, 05:01 PM

Yup.

heavenlyboy34
06-29-2010, 05:02 PM
lol , most on this forum are no diffrent then neocons. My way or the highway!

that's one reason why I rarely come here anymore. :(

Anti Federalist
06-29-2010, 05:05 PM
He also talked about how we help build infrastructure to give them clean water..

I was watching something about Afghanistan recently and they were saying how the people needed water really badly.. My roommate was like "well fuck, you're in the desert, what do you want?!" and right after that they talked about how they used to have water before the US military base opened up and sucked up all the water off their water table :mad:

*sigh*

FFS

johnrocks
06-29-2010, 05:26 PM
I'll wait to see the entire show, that little clip does not make him a neo con.

paulitics
06-29-2010, 05:53 PM
I'll wait to see the entire show, that little clip does not make him a neo con.

No, but those are neocon talkin points that sounding more like Sean Hannity than someone I would care to listen to.

Stossel needs to elaborate on what he is saying here, because well....all that he said was so absurd you could have played a laugh track behind it for comedic value.

MelissaWV
06-29-2010, 05:55 PM

But I'm still here, soooo... :D

johnrocks
06-29-2010, 06:05 PM
No, but those are neocon talkin points that sounding more like Sean Hannity than someone I would care to listen to.

Stossel needs to elaborate on what he is saying here, because well....all that he said was so absurd you could have played a laugh track behind it for comedic value.

Why I'm going to wait until I see the entire episode before I dismiss him as a neocon, I detest neocons, I'm a fervent non interventionist but that does not mean I'm a pacifist or want to disarm us totally, I'm for a strong defense to defend America, that's different from having an aggressive f/p and policing the world.

BlackTerrel
06-29-2010, 06:09 PM
Man it doesn't take much for people to turn

Omphfullas Zamboni
06-29-2010, 06:22 PM
Does anyone know what Stossel said about the military when he was on ABC? It may give some clues about the point-of-view of his upcoming special, (at least those portions regarding the military).

paulitics
06-29-2010, 06:41 PM

Yeah, because this is only as important as something like gays in the military.

I think where someone stands on nonintervention vs intervention is pretty much at the core of the philosophy, and is just as important as the 2nd amendment, patriot act, etc. It's one of those core issues you don't mess with and compromise on.

Not saying Stossel is a neocon, but what he was saying raised a red flag to me. I mean, we certainly don't just go in, and then get out. We have how many bases now? Like I said, laugh track material.

And you don't think where someone stands on this issue is a big deal, because?

robert68
06-29-2010, 06:42 PM
"we help build infrastructure to give them clean water"

How about you let them build their own infrastructure and provide for themselves.

By doing all these great things for them, you prevent the most critical developments from taking place I.E. Working with their own people to help build wealth for themselves, their families and their descendants. You precisely hinder the voluntary participation in the universal division of labor.

For Pete's sake...let them do for themselves, otherwise you simply have a country of serfs enslaved to Gen. David Petraeus, military dictator of Iraq.

More than that, the US destroyed their water treatment plants in the Gulf War of 1991, and then prevented them from acquiring the necessary parts to rebuild them, via the economic embargo.

someperson
06-29-2010, 07:51 PM
There's no turning involved here. It would be nice if more individuals were loyal to their ideas, and not to media personalities, parties, and labels. It's unfortunate that all too many individuals tend to become emotionally attached to the latter.

Toureg89
06-29-2010, 07:56 PM
after all the stuff Stossel has done to advance the libertarian ideology, i still have trust in him that he will come through with a noninterventionist position at the end of the special.

i mean, before this, he WAS one of the top libertarian news anchors that most of us have ever heard of. i think he deserves at least as much trust from us until we actually see the special.

but yes, as others have said, it does raise some red flags that he would espouse bogus pro interventionist talking points.

but we shall see.

Ricky201
06-29-2010, 07:59 PM
I'm sorry, but where did he promote empire building and non-interventionist wars? In that clip it just looked like he was acknowleding some of the efforts (even though those efforts are in vain) that our troops put into rebuilding countries (which is not our duty, but can you really blame an military man who thinks he's making a difference in the world?). The piece just shows that John is ignorant of the facts that there is colonization in these countries...but just of a different breed. So I don't see how he "betrayed his principles". Plus, I'd like to see the rest of the special before I pass judgment. If he starts talking about intervening around the world and talking about how having 700 military bases around the world is a good idea, THAN I will raise some eyebrows.

For now, I'll be happy to say that some of you purists get butt-hurt so easily.

eproxy100
06-29-2010, 08:19 PM

A lot of neocons, anarchists, christian zealots (same as neocons?), and even some liberals. Neo-libertarian?

It looks like libertarians winning the elections may be a bad thing cuz it'll delay the "reset".

Fox McCloud
06-29-2010, 08:33 PM
after all the stuff Stossel has done to advance the libertarian ideology, i still have trust in him that he will come through with a noninterventionist position at the end of the special.

i mean, before this, he WAS one of the top libertarian news anchors that most of us have ever heard of. i think he deserves at least as much trust from us until we actually see the special.

but yes, as others have said, it does raise some red flags that he would espouse bogus pro interventionist talking points.

but we shall see.

we'll see--one a previous program he talked about how "diverse" libertarians are on some views and how there are pro-war "libertarians" and anti-war libertarians.

I'm sorry, but if you're libertarian leaning, it doesn't, by any stretch of the imagination, make you a libertarian--you either are or you're not.

paulitics
06-29-2010, 08:37 PM

I'm going to have to call your bluff on that. :p:D

Baptist
06-29-2010, 08:42 PM
Now that I think about it, Stossel is right. Our military is not like other military. Ours is like Al Quada and Hamas who build hospitals and schools for people.

krazy kaju
06-29-2010, 08:51 PM
well that was retarded.

qft

Baptist
06-29-2010, 08:56 PM
This is all I can find. Not too telling, though, as Stossel always plays Devil's advocate.

YouTube - Ron Paul, John Stossel on Iraq 12-10-2007 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Deza0k30sb4)

paulitics
06-29-2010, 09:13 PM

Installing a puppet, while having 50 +year military bases,embasies, intelligence units, media influence and/or control, ownership of infrastructure, land, oil fields, etc, is really that much diiferent? The world is a little more sophisticated since the 1700s, yes, but let's not pretend that America and her allies are doing this for noble reasons. It's imperialism, but on a much more globalised scale, much more sophisticated, with perhaps a softer tyrrany imposed on the target nations because it is easier to control than hard tyrrany.

Baptist
06-29-2010, 10:00 PM
I agree Paulitics.

Besides, no amount of new schools and hospitals can make up for depleted uranium. Go to Google Images and type in "Depleted Uranium." Yup. All those babies that look like aliens from a 70s episode of Star Trek are real. Those things are what Iraqis have been giving birth to since we bombed them in 1991.

.Tom
06-29-2010, 10:10 PM
What. The. Fuck.

I have absolutely no respect for Stossel anymore.

BamaFanNKy
06-29-2010, 10:14 PM
Sorry am I late for the weekly "Freak out about a Fox News host" session?

Toureg89
06-29-2010, 10:14 PM
This is all I can find. Not too telling, though, as Stossel always plays Devil's advocate.

YouTube - Ron Paul, John Stossel on Iraq 12-10-2007 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Deza0k30sb4)
that has been his strategy all along. play devils advocate so that the intelligent, well spoken person he is interviewing, can be given a chance to offer a good defense for libertarian policies.

the fact that hes even interviewing ron paul, and not showing he's clearly disagreeing with him (you can tell because the interviewer will interrupt, get emotional, display CLEAR signs that he disagrees) shows that he already knows what pauls answer is, and by even asking the question, he is agreeing with the answer by televising the answer to the audience.

Che
06-29-2010, 10:46 PM
Stossel is way off on this one.
- it's not an American's duty to give aid to foreign countries
- we do not go in and then get out. How would Vietnam have been if not for the Pentagon Papers being leaked?
http://expertwitnessradio.org/site/ellsberg/

Oh and let's not forgot the troops we have in 100+ bases around the world in places like Germany and Japan. We are not welcomed - Japan's PM recently resigned for ignoring the people's wish to relocate a US base in Okinawa
- Stossel assumes the wars needed to be fought in the first place, and ignores false flags like the Gulf of Tonkin and Lusitania and the planned Operation Northwoods

What if you were born in S. Korea and immigrated to United States. If the U.S. didn't intervene during the Korean Conflict, you wouldn't be alive by now. How's that for noninterventionism?

Jace
06-30-2010, 12:26 AM
The owners of the media have a handful of goals: Open borders. Free trade. American military interventionism abroad. Unconditional support of Israel.

Stossel presents these goals to us from a libertarian perspective. Same as Beck. Hannity gives it to us from the neocon social conservative viewpoint. Blitzer and his friends at CNN give us the same propaganda, but from a conservative Democratic perspective. Olbermann and Maddow give it to us from from a progressive Democratic viewpoint. Krugman gives it to us from a wonkish intellectual big government Democratic viewpoint. Tom Friedman from a pro-business Democratic viewpoint, etc.

Pick your poison. Stossel serves his masters by shepherding the sheeple. He is paid big bucks for his talents. I pretty much agree with him on everything, except his promotion of globalist goals. He's supposed to reel us in on the small government, low taxes, free enterprise stuff, so we accept the rest and are eased into globalism and into giving up our sovereignty -- all in the name of liberty of course.

I don't know why people on this site think we need watch what we say so we don't alienate the mainstream media, because the people who dominate the MSM today do so to keep Ron Paul's ideas away from the sheeple. The big bankers have had their goals forever, and took over the media during the Great Depression and during WWII and have completely marginalized the old isolationist, restrictionist, protectionist voices that dominated American newspapers before then. (The Washington Post was purchased in a bankruptcy auction in 1933 by a governor of the Federal Reserve board.) The owners of the media will never let Ron Paul become too popular, not if it means non-interventionism abroad, no birth right citizenship, neutrality with the Israelis, scrapping of NAFTA, etc. They will destroy him and character assassinate him before he ever gets too much influence.

We shun the birthers and the truthers so we can gain respectability with the MSM, and let the anarchists and the Tom Friedman free traders and the open borders folks overrun this site... That's what worries me about this movement. Infiltrated, diluted and destroyed from within, by Stossel worshippers and grifters like Peter Schiff, a guy who skims money from his investors while seeking money bomb after money bomb here, while being open to dropping real bombs on Iran.

We need to stick to Ron Paul's goals. Non-interventionism. Limited government. Free enterprise. Sound money. The Constitution. End the Fed.

Learn how to identify the goals of the globalists and how they attempt to divide us while aggressively silencing anyone who voices anything counter to their ends. Stossel is one of them. He sure wasn't speaking up against invading Iraq back in 2003 when Ron Paul was a lone voice in the wilderness, and he's not standing with Ron Paul now about Iran.

Knightskye
06-30-2010, 01:15 AM
He has a six-part show. ONE of them is the military.

Look -- he just put out another blog article about free speech:
http://stossel.blogs.foxbusiness.com/2010/06/29/whats-great-about-america-free-speech/

Stop pretending Stossel is a neocon. He's one of the two best hosts on TV.

emazur
06-30-2010, 01:33 AM
What if you were born in S. Korea and immigrated to United States. If the U.S. didn't intervene during the Korean Conflict, you wouldn't be alive by now. How's that for noninterventionism?

You could make the same argument about any country that's ever been in a conflict, in which case you want the U.S. to be the world's policeman. We didn't put a stop to the Rwandan Genocide in 1994 or Stalin's Ukrainian famine of 1932-1933. People are still miserable in North Korea and Cuba - maybe we should intervene then?

Of course intervening doesn't always go well. Sometimes "keeping the peace" pisses off the wrong people (Osama bin Laden) and keeps the pace for some at the expense of others (in WWII we 'saved the world' except for people living under all the Soviets we armed, arguably with nuclear technology to boot, and have yet to see if Al Qaeda gets a nuclear bomb from one of those former Soviet states)

.Tom
06-30-2010, 02:12 AM
The owners of the media have a handful of goals: Open borders. Free trade.

We need to stick to Ron Paul's goals. Free enterprise.

:confused:

Knightskye
06-30-2010, 02:23 AM
:confused:
Lol, yeah. I'm sure if he expanded on "open borders," he would have a different explanation. I can't understand the "free trade" complaint, though.

What's wrong with free trade? There was an article in Reuters that said there could be huge reductions in the Cuban embargo. That's terrific news.

MelissaWV
06-30-2010, 06:29 AM
I agree Paulitics.

Besides, no amount of new schools and hospitals can make up for depleted uranium. Go to Google Images and type in "Depleted Uranium." Yup. All those babies that look like aliens from a 70s episode of Star Trek are real. Those things are what Iraqis have been giving birth to since we bombed them in 1991.

You don't have to go that far.

http://img.timeinc.net/time/daily/2009/0909/vieques_0914.jpg

The U.S. Navy's occupation ... began on December 10, 1941, three days after Japanese bombs struck Pearl Harbor, when Congress authorized $30 million to build military installations, ... including a dual-use target range/amphibious exercise base.... Between 1941 and 1947, the Navy expropriated two-thirds of the island and displaced 10,000 [people]. It compensated possessors of legally titled land—a small number of ... mostly wealthy plantation owners. Almost overnight [the island] was rebuilt to serve as one side in a defensive triangle, made up of [several strategic locations] that would protect the Panama Canal and hold European fascism at bay.

He and his colleagues advocate the four Ds: demilitarization, decontamination, devolution, and (community-based, sustainable) development. "Demilitarization" refers specifically to the closure of remaining radar facilities and telecommunications centers that still occupy 200 acres on the island. "Decontamination" broadly demands that the Navy leave [the island] as clean as it was found in 1940, including the complete cleanup of heavy metals, napalm, Agent Orange, depleted uranium, and other land, marine, and aerial contaminants. "Devolution" speaks to the return of all land to [the island].
"Development" urges sustainable economic development by the [people], which respects the cultural and natural resources of the island.

"Pristine" and "unspoiled" could not possibly describe the [island] I knew of, a U.S. aerial weapons testing ground for over 50 years whose residents had a 30% higher cancer rate than [people on a larger, neighboring island] do, a 381% higher rate of hypertension, and a 95% higher rate of cirrhosis of the liver. And phrases like "perfect place to relax" and "quiet charms" hardly seem apt to describe a place that has been the site of demonstrations and arrests, and whose future continues to be contested terrain.

I took out the names, so that you could imagine for a moment it was anyplace. The fact is... it's not just "anyplace." It's American soil.

Valli6
06-30-2010, 09:47 AM
When this segment aired live, I only saw it from the the point where he states, "...American soldiers build orphanages and water purification plants..." (2:15)

This led me to believe the discussion will cover what the role of the US military should be, ie, should American lives be lost and should US citizens be forced to pay for the building of orphanages and water purification plants in other countries? I think he's pointing out that current plans indicate no intention of "getting out".

Judging by the reactions here, his wording should attract a lot of standard neo-cons to the show, and "force" them to hear the argument out.

robert68
06-30-2010, 11:06 AM
From his blog: What's Great About the Military (FNC @ 9pm ET Sat & Sun) (http://stossel.blogs.foxbusiness.com/2010/06/29/whats-great-about-the-military-fnc-9pm-et-sat-sun/).

Standard US imperialist prop and spin, not mentioning the facts that vitiate the thesis. And he cites neocon Dinesh D’Souza's words as evidence of his claims.

John Taylor
06-30-2010, 11:11 AM

Some did during the Cold War.

MRoCkEd
06-30-2010, 11:12 AM
From his blog: What's Great About the Military (FNC @ 9pm ET Sat & Sun) (http://stossel.blogs.foxbusiness.com/2010/06/29/whats-great-about-the-military-fnc-9pm-et-sat-sun/).

Standard US imperialist prop and spin, not mentioning the facts that vitiate the thesis. And he cites neocon Dinesh D’Souza's words as evidence of his claims.
Let Stossel know what you think.

http://stossel.blogs.foxbusiness.com/2010/06/29/whats-great-about-the-military-fnc-9pm-et-sat-sun/?action=late-new&order=asc

Be polite, please.

Baptist
06-30-2010, 11:21 AM
Let Stossel know what you think.

http://stossel.blogs.foxbusiness.com/2010/06/29/whats-great-about-the-military-fnc-9pm-et-sat-sun/?action=late-new&order=asc

Be polite, please.

Done.

Can't believe Stossel thinks this way.

Vessol
06-30-2010, 11:29 AM

Can anyone explain when in our history has the U.S Military ever just walked out and didn't interfere with local politics?

I can't think of one example ever in American history or any other history.

Obvious pandering to the NeoCon Right is obvious, jus' saying.

I just read that article. Did Stossel seriously write that?

Toureg89
06-30-2010, 12:53 PM
Can anyone explain when in our history has the U.S Military ever just walked out and didn't interfere with local politics?

I can't think of one example ever in American history or any other history.

Obvious pandering to the NeoCon Right is obvious, jus' saying.

I just read that article. Did Stossel seriously write that?
yes, obviously he is incorrect in believing that our military "just leaves" when it is done with its interference.

idk why he is wrong, but, whethering its neocon pandering or childish innocence or just baiting tactics to get republicans to watch the show, yes, most people here are correct, our military usually never "just leaves"

Pericles
06-30-2010, 01:14 PM

Nothing like including the embassy guards and attaches to skew the stats there ....

Pericles
06-30-2010, 01:18 PM
yes, obviously he is incorrect in believing that our military "just leaves" when it is done with its interference.

idk why he is wrong, but, whethering its neocon pandering or childish innocence or just baiting tactics to get republicans to watch the show, yes, most people here are correct, our military usually never "just leaves"

Barbary Coast 1803
Japan 1845
Mexico 1848
Cuba 1898
Central America 1920s
China Boxer Rebellion
Phillippines 1980
Austria 1955
Russia 1918

Just from memory ...........

dannno
06-30-2010, 01:22 PM
Installing a puppet, while having 50 +year military bases,embasies, intelligence units, media influence and/or control, ownership of infrastructure, land, oil fields, etc, is really that much diiferent? The world is a little more sophisticated since the 1700s, yes, but let's not pretend that America and her allies are doing this for noble reasons. It's imperialism, but on a much more globalised scale, much more sophisticated, with perhaps a softer tyrrany imposed on the target nations because it is easier to control than hard tyrrany.

So the problem isn't that Stossel is wrong about his ideas, he just doesn't have the facts straight. I find that is often the problem.

robert68
06-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Barbary Coast 1803
Japan 1845
Mexico 1848
Cuba 1898
Central America 1920s
China Boxer Rebellion
Phillippines 1980
Austria 1955
Russia 1918

Just from memory ...........

Good post. One comment, Philippines beginning in 1899.

paulitics
06-30-2010, 02:11 PM
So the problem isn't that Stossel is wrong about his ideas, he just doesn't have the facts straight. I find that is often the problem.

I think his ideas are wrong based on an oversimplified version of the world. I think it could work on some young kids considering joining the military without much thought. :(

Everything he said can be debunked with a 5 minute google search for even the most ignorant. The whole get in, get out thing was laugh track material. It's the exact opposite of what is true. Stossel needs to read wikipedia.

Mr.Magnanimous
06-30-2010, 02:12 PM
Being that Stossel was against the invasion of Iraq, I find it hard to believe that he is going to have a pro-occupation stance.

However I could be wrong, and you may all be right. But I find it doubtful.

someperson
06-30-2010, 02:24 PM
I'll restate what I said in the other thread: the emotion that these media personalities deserve is your apathy. Remember the apathy that you took off your back and put into the closet back then? Well, if you haven't already, now is the time to get it back out of the closet and put it on top of your TV. If you feel something else for these individuals other than apathy, you might be doing it wrong. Stop becoming irate or falling in love with the personalities; please try to focus on the ideas, exclusively, whether that be in the form of assent or objection.

robert68
06-30-2010, 03:01 PM
Being that Stossel was against the invasion of Iraq, I find it hard to believe that he is going to have a pro-occupation stance.

However I could be wrong, and you may all be right. But I find it doubtful.

I don’t know his exact position on that; however there are a many people who “opposed” the “invasion of Iraq” for one reason or another, and then after it took place, favored maintaining the occupation or ending it only conditionally.

Fox McCloud
06-30-2010, 03:40 PM
Nothing like including the embassy guards and attaches to skew the stats there ....

we shouldn't have embassies in any country either--it's a sovereign state.

Vessol
06-30-2010, 04:31 PM
I never understood why embassies are needed anyways. Why should we even have separate relationships with different nations?

That opens up the slippery slope to intervention.

John Taylor
06-30-2010, 04:40 PM
I never understood why embassies are needed anyways. Why should we even have separate relationships with different nations?

And yet Israel should be condemned and the palestinians aided?

Start with The Grand Strategy of the Byzantine Empire. (http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Strategy-Byzantine-Empire/dp/0674035194) You'll figure out why we need embassies in a hurry. Merely because we're non-interventionist doesn't mean we shouldn't continually be information/intelligence gathering and negotiating to ensure neutrality.

someperson
06-30-2010, 04:41 PM
To borrow an expression from an individual in congress, for various reasons, the concept of an embassy in 2010 is anachronistic. State ownership of arbitrary plots of land around the world? Ridiculous. Need communication from those other places? Internet. Visited somewhere dangerous without any concept of personal responsibility? Oh well.

heavenlyboy34
06-30-2010, 04:43 PM

Start with The Grand Strategy of the Byzantine Empire. (http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Strategy-Byzantine-Empire/dp/0674035194) You'll figure out why we need embassies in a hurry. Merely because we're non-interventionist doesn't mean we shouldn't continually be information/intelligence gathering and negotiating to ensure neutrality.

How do you plan to do that if a RP-esque candidate gets elected and eliminates the unconsititutional FBI and CIA? ;)

Vessol
06-30-2010, 04:44 PM

I don't think we should support Palestine, you called me out for generalities, now I call you out.

I said that back then that we should not support either side, but I personally believe that Palestine has the higher moral ground. That's all.

And I still believe a truly non-interventionist nation would have no official relations with any other nation. That just opens up the slippery slope to interventionism. Everyone should be open to trade and emigrate to this nation if they meet whatever requirements there are.

someperson
06-30-2010, 04:50 PM
Oh yeah, and if you still think embassies provide some kind of worthwhile service, start a private one ;)

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/2672/embassyy.png
An "embassy" for 2010.

John Taylor
06-30-2010, 04:50 PM
How do you plan to do that if a RP-esque candidate gets elected and eliminates the unconsititutional FBI and CIA? ;)

Perhaps military intelligence???? ;););)

emazur
07-04-2010, 12:43 PM
YouTube - John Stossel "What's Great About America" - C (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n21lz8fha3I)

Austrian Econ Disciple
07-04-2010, 12:57 PM

How many countries does Switzerland spy upon? When was the last time they were attacked?

Baptist
07-04-2010, 02:29 PM
YouTube - John Stossel "What's Great About America" - C (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n21lz8fha3I)

Barf.

So it's not cool to bomb, murder and occupy people. It's only cool to bomb, murder and leave (even though we all know that don't truly leave anyway).

Toureg89
07-04-2010, 02:54 PM
yeah i had higher expectations than that.

he has dissappointed me.

Omphfullas Zamboni
07-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Howdy,

Nonintervention.com should put out a piece rebutting Stossel's segment. If Mr. Stossel ever does an episode entirely about US foreign policy, he should invite Michael Scheuer to debate in Dinesh D'Souza. That would be interesting.

Cheers,
Omphfullas Zamboni

ClayTrainor
07-04-2010, 03:08 PM
ugh, this makes me pretty sad... i was just starting to gain so much respect for stossel and his new show too... :(

Omphfullas Zamboni
07-04-2010, 03:10 PM
ugh, this makes me pretty sad... i was just starting to gain so much respect for stossel and his new show too... :(

I wonder, was the rest of the show any good?

ClayTrainor
07-04-2010, 03:41 PM

haven't watched the whole thing yet, so i guess I should maybe hold my judgement until i do so. :)

emazur
07-04-2010, 03:46 PM

I thought the rest was decent. I think he was trying to be non-partisan about this special and a more apt title would have been "What makes America Relatively Great". He'll talk about America's follies but compare us to situations in other countries and we come out ahead.

Austrian Econ Disciple
07-04-2010, 03:59 PM
I thought the rest was decent. I think he was trying to be non-partisan about this special and a more apt title would have been "What makes America Relatively Great". He'll talk about America's follies but compare us to situations in other countries and we come out ahead.

Great is not being less bad than the rest. Are you talking about the same army regulars who slaughted the Native Americans? The same regulars who killed and rampaged through the South? The same regulars who firebombed Japan and Germany? I don't see how any of that is great.

The Militia is great. The Standing Army is tyranny.

jmdrake
07-04-2010, 05:36 PM

So Americans who lose their passports have a place to go to get a new one? "The mantra we used to have is "friendship with all, entangling alliances with none". There's nothing wrong with having embassies to help Americans abroad and to promote friendship. We can do that without intervening in the countries where the embassies are.

someperson
07-04-2010, 05:41 PM
No one liked my high-tech, private embassy (cart)? I spent a long time on the design, too :(

Oh yeah, and if you still think embassies provide some kind of worthwhile service, start a private one ;)

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/2672/embassyy.png
An "embassy" for 2010.

;)

Wesker1982
07-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Stossel vs Napolitano debate on foreign policy GO GO GO

dr. hfn
07-04-2010, 08:52 PM
Stossel FAIL

QueenB4Liberty
07-04-2010, 09:39 PM
I thought the rest of the show was good.

ClayTrainor
07-04-2010, 09:40 PM
I thought the rest of the show was good.

is it available online yet?

QueenB4Liberty
07-04-2010, 09:41 PM
I don't know I watched it on tv.

jmdrake
07-04-2010, 09:43 PM
No one liked my high-tech, private embassy (cart)? I spent a long time on the design, too :(

;)

This is one place where I don't think "private enterprise" cuts it.

ClayTrainor
07-04-2010, 09:46 PM
This is one place where I don't think "private enterprise" cuts it.

There's no place in a free-market for straight up bureaucracy. ;)

chadhb
07-04-2010, 10:31 PM
I don't need to watch, i've told you guy's he is scum. Anything Faux news is scum.

NYgs23
07-04-2010, 11:01 PM
Well, it's not as though he stated the Iraq or Afghanistan Wars were good things. He just said he thinks our military's behavior is relatively humanitarian compared to say that of the old British Empire. I think this view is naive, but it's not as bad as outright arguing in favor of a foreign policy of military interventionism.

tropicangela
07-04-2010, 11:30 PM
Stossel FAIL

:(

robert68
07-05-2010, 12:12 AM

Even an honest socialist or corporate fascist can’t argue that “the US rebuilt Japan and Germany”, because Japan received no money from the Marshall Plan, and Germany, which was far more devastated by the war than either the UK or France, receive far less Marshal Plan money than either of those countries, and came back stronger economically than either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Plan#Expenditures

emazur
07-05-2010, 12:15 AM
is it available online yet?

Yes, click that video I linked to go to youtube website, then click the user who uploaded and look at his other videos

V for Voluntary
07-05-2010, 06:43 AM
YouTube - John Stossel "What's Great About America" - A (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH6rTBQOXqM)

YouTube - John Stossel "What's Great About America" - B (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csj-wr9qqgY)

YouTube - John Stossel "What's Great About America" - D (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG8OUZ4-p1o)

YouTube - John Stossel "What's Great About America" - E (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYWx5VFXLB4)

YouTube - John Stossel "What's Great About America" - F (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fx2pajK838)

YouTube - John Stossel "What's Great About America" - G (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgjnyTR_j38)

KAYA
07-05-2010, 08:25 AM
I thought it was another great piece by Stossel.

BoutTreeFiddy
07-05-2010, 10:00 AM
I thought it was another great piece by Stossel.

Same here. It wasn't too bad.

YumYum
07-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Stossel is driving home a point. He shows how great America WAS (not IS) by getting out after defeating the enemy. Neocons will watch that and say "Yeah! Right On! That's what we do! We get out!" Stossel can then ask the question: "Why aren't we getting out of Iraq and Afghanistan? Has America changed its policy?" It's a brilliant ploy to drive home a point to Americans who are brainwashed neocons.

I don't know what people's beef is with Stossel; he is a true Libertarian through and through. I'm surprised he is still on Fox.

thehunter
07-05-2010, 10:55 AM
I thought it was a good piece overall, with the caveat that what America is doing today isn't the nation building of the post-WW2 era (which is debate all to itself, I know!).

Methinks Afghanistan will end up being the darker of the two chapters when they go to write the books on the last decade -- ironically, Iraq only stated working out when the operations team there stopped putting their fingers into every little piece of the country they could get their hands on.

Putting aside the debate on who should run the military and how for a second, I am not against a country like the US defending itself from an organization like the Taliban, but I am more concerned on how the defence is done. As RP had stated back in 2008, the tactic of plopping units all over the world so that the US has a presence there has led us to having stations in hotbeds of discontent like Germany today. It's inefficient, wasteful and has done a great deal of morale damage back home that will only weaken the very operation that the government is conducting itself!

Fredom101
07-06-2010, 02:55 PM
This was a terrible piece of propaganda and simply a promo for D'Souza's book. The part on the military was absolutely insane. D'Souza is a disgusting human being and Stossel just agrees with him? Wow.

jmdrake
07-06-2010, 03:23 PM
Stossel is driving home a point. He shows how great America WAS (not IS) by getting out after defeating the enemy. Neocons will watch that and say "Yeah! Right On! That's what we do! We get out!" Stossel can then ask the question: "Why aren't we getting out of Iraq and Afghanistan? Has America changed its policy?" It's a brilliant ploy to drive home a point to Americans who are brainwashed neocons.

I don't know what people's beef is with Stossel; he is a true Libertarian through and through. I'm surprised he is still on Fox.

Ummmm.....I might have thought that if John Stossel hadn't used the neocon line of "We only took 10% of the oil contracts so we've done right by Iraq" line. :mad: What Stossel seems to be unaware of (or maybe he's just ignoring) is that the Iraq war wasn't for America's benefit as much as it was globalism's benefit. It's the worst of both worlds. We go into other nations to benefit multinational corporations who are raping our own country at the same time they are using us to help them rape other countries.

Fredom101
07-06-2010, 05:57 PM

Wait, did I miss something? Did Stossel ask that follow up question??? If not the only points he drove home were more U.S. propaganda and D'Souza insanity.

Omphfullas Zamboni
07-06-2010, 06:11 PM
Wait, did I miss something? Did Stossel ask that follow up question??? If not the only points he drove home were more U.S. propaganda and D'Souza insanity.

I'm sure he will ask a follow-up question if his producers permit him to do a foreign-policy special.

LiveFree79
07-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Some of you are really blind. I mean listen to some of you.

America has NEVER gotten out of anywhere. How the hell do you think we created the empire we now have. LMAO! Ron Paul supporters really let me down sometimes. The US has never left Europe. We never left Southeast Asia. We never left the Middle East.

John Stossel is just another idiot talking head media slut. Nothing more nothing less. He's like Glenn Beck. The latter who was calling Ron Paul a kook and a nut while he was running for President and now he can't praise him enough. Think for yourselves and quit spoonfeeding what morons on t.v. offer you. I really expect more from Paulers.

MR2Fast2Catch
07-06-2010, 07:43 PM
It seems like Stossel is trying to justify our military interventions overseas by showing the good things we are doing. I still don't think it justifies our military interventions, and to Stossel's surprise, we do NOT leave countries after fighting a war there. We occupy countries after fighting there, and then leave permanent bases all over the globe, in 130 different countries. I have to disagree with Stossel here.