PDA

View Full Version : CNN Covers Ron Paul's Trip to Iowa (a 2012 run is a given)

bobbyw24
06-29-2010, 04:15 AM
Des Moines, Iowa (CNN) -- Just a few days ago, two potential Republican presidential candidates traveled to this Midwestern hub and in a span of 24 hours addressed some of the most powerful GOP conservative activists in the country.

During separate speeches Saturday at the Iowa Republican State Convention, former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum and Texas Rep. Ron Paul never mentioned their possible candidacies for the 2012 GOP presidential nomination. But neither had to do so. It was a given. This is Iowa after all, the first of three very important stops that can make or break a presidential candidacy.

"We have a disproportionate belief that we get to meet the candidates," Ed Failor Jr., president of Iowans for Tax Relief, said as he looked out at the 1,000-plus Republican activists who sacrificed a Saturday morning for the party gathering. "And people are really put out if it isn't easy for them to meet a candidate. So you have got to be willing to do that work here."

For these Iowa Republicans, if they give up a weekend usually reserved for personal time and family time for politics, so should a possible presidential candidate. And the candidates will, whether it is a Friday or Saturday or Tuesday or Wednesday.

Santorum and Paul have each made multiple stops to the state over the past year. South Dakota Sen. John Thune, Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour and former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich have all visited the state for various events and fundraisers. Even Sarah Palin stopped by for a book signing in December.

"The sooner we know who is out there and who is interested in running, the sooner we can start deciding who we want for our next president," said Karen York, chairperson of the Page County Republican Party.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/06/28/iowa.republicans/index.html?iref=allsearch

MRoCkEd
06-29-2010, 04:18 AM
Ed Failor Jr., president of Iowans for Tax Relief
Same group that excluded Ron Paul from their debate. They must feel stupid now!

YouTube - FOR LIBERTY Excerpt #2 - Showdown In Iowa (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcLiXvjm6Mg)

Good story though.

PS: Rick Santorum sucks!
:D

bobbyw24
06-29-2010, 04:21 AM

YouTube - FOR LIBERTY Excerpt #2 - Showdown In Iowa (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcLiXvjm6Mg)

Nice catch, mrocked

stu2002
06-29-2010, 04:52 AM
Run ron run

stu2002
06-29-2010, 05:21 AM
http://www.edwoodworth.com/rndm/ronpaul2012.jpg

low preference guy
06-29-2010, 05:25 AM
i think the potential candidacy is what is a given.

Elwar
06-29-2010, 06:20 AM
http://www.theronpaulteaparty.com/e107_images/banners/banner.jpg (http://www.TheRonPaulTeaParty.com)

freshjiva
06-29-2010, 06:59 AM
http://www.theronpaulteaparty.com/e107_images/banners/banner.jpg (http://www.TheRonPaulTeaParty.com)

I really can't wait for the first Ron Paul moneybomb for the 2012 race.
I agree with you that $10 million is our target. It is very achievable. If we hit our goal, the news of such an overwhelmingly successful, record-breaking fundraiser will catapult his popularity as he outpaces all his opponents in fundraising.

CasualApathy
06-29-2010, 07:10 AM
Ron paul 2012!!!

BuddyRey
06-29-2010, 11:54 AM
Run, Ron, run!!!

specsaregood
06-29-2010, 12:08 PM

Let's let bygones be bygones and work to make new friendly associations with activists such as him. At the time, the guy had no idea what the campaign was going to turn into, Dr. Paul was polling at "*" at the time.

Badger Paul
06-29-2010, 12:12 PM
"And people are really put out if it isn't easy for them to meet a candidate."

I'm sure you'd know all about that Ed since you yourself made it very hard for Rep. Paul speak in front of your group if you care to remember back that far.

tremendoustie
06-29-2010, 12:13 PM
Run! .. Run! ... Run!

tremendoustie
06-29-2010, 12:14 PM
Let's let bygones be bygones and work to make new friendly associations with activists such as him. At the time, the guy had no idea what the campaign was going to turn into, Dr. Paul was polling at "*" at the time.

Agreed 100%. If someone comes around, you've won. Don't beat them over the head for their past.

CasualApathy
06-29-2010, 12:16 PM
http://www.ronpaul.com/wp-content/gallery/ron-paul-2012/ron-paul-2012-sign.jpg

ctiger2
06-29-2010, 12:22 PM
I agree with you that $10 million is our target. It is very achievable. If we hit our goal, the news of such an overwhelmingly successful, record-breaking fundraiser will catapult his popularity as he outpaces all his opponents in fundraising.

$10 million would be impossible for the first moneybomb. He'd only bring in that kind of dough once the debates are rolling and more people are hearing him. Realistically you'd be looking at $100-$200K for a Nov moneybomb.

tpreitzel
06-29-2010, 12:43 PM
$10 million would be impossible for the first moneybomb. He'd only bring in that kind of dough once the debates are rolling and more people are hearing him. Realistically you'd be looking at $100-$200K for a Nov moneybomb.

Nah! The range is likely somewhere in between those extremes, probably $2 million at best. Who knows for sure, though? First, Ron Paul's name is already well known. Second, the people are generally upset with Washington, D.C. Third, the economy is hurting the people's ability to finance political activities.

Stop Making Cents
06-29-2010, 01:11 PM
He just might have a shot if you get a crowded field. Mccain won b/c Huckabilly and Romney split the vote.

Huckabilly, Romney, Palin, Rudy, and probably others could split the vote enough that Ron Paul could win with 15-20% of the vote. Not likely, but possible.

Legend1104
06-29-2010, 01:29 PM
Like I said yesterday and others have already said. Even if he does not win again, every time he converts another person to the cause, they are converted for good. No other movement/candidate out there today can say that. We can only go up and not down and the worse this country gets, the more appealing the truth will get to even the most staunch neo's. The older generation will probably not be as likely to come around, but the youth will.

Nate-ForLiberty
06-29-2010, 01:34 PM

$10? I want $20! With all the added people to the movement in the last 2 years. Ch'a mon!

http://anythingwhatevs.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/mj-crotch-grab.jpg

Kregisen
06-29-2010, 01:39 PM

I've never donated to any politician in my life....but let me say this, I'm ready for it. We can easily set records in moneybombs by 2012.

RCA
06-29-2010, 01:48 PM
conjecture

not.your.average.joe
06-29-2010, 02:13 PM
A little off topic, but where is a good place to get some cool RP bumper stickers?

RCA
06-29-2010, 02:14 PM
A little off topic, but where is a good place to get some cool RP bumper stickers?

http://www.libertystickers.com/search/?keywords=ron+paul

not.your.average.joe
06-29-2010, 02:16 PM
http://www.libertystickers.com/search/?keywords=ron+paul

Thank you RCA!

RCA
06-29-2010, 02:18 PM
Thank you RCA!

You're welcome.

RCA
06-29-2010, 02:30 PM
We only have 6 more months until this question is answered.

Bruno
06-29-2010, 02:32 PM
We only have 6 more months until this question is answered.

Would love to see Ron Paul at the Iowa State Fair!

freshjiva
06-29-2010, 02:34 PM

I disagree. Ron had a $4M+ moneybomb in 2007, which broke records. The people that donated then are going to donate again. They don't need to "re-learn" who Ron Paul is.

Then, you have the scores of people (like myself) who have joined the Liberty movement post-2008.

Just look at Ron's Facebook page to get an idea of how many supporters he has. 215,000+ currently. If just 1/3 of those supporters donate $100, that's $7.3M right there.

libertybrewcity
06-29-2010, 04:12 PM
He would take Iowa by storm and onward to New Hampshire, and then South Carolina, and then Nevada, and then the White House...PEEYAAAHHH. lol

FSP-Rebel
06-29-2010, 05:46 PM
I think the moment Ron announces that the news will spread like wildfire and it will re-inject all those that have went dormant since the last race. We still need to make sure that many of us are involved in our local GOP and be ready to dominate it when the time comes.

Juan McCain
06-29-2010, 06:04 PM
Only about 13 months until the Iowa GOP Straw Poll in Ames . . .

JenH88
06-29-2010, 06:08 PM
I think the moment Ron announces that the news will spread like wildfire and it will re-inject all those that have went dormant since the last race. .

oh yeah! :D

and there are swarms ready to join the ranks... we've been right, while all the other "change" has flopped...

fertile ground for the message... >_< i cant wait to campaign for that man again..

KramerDSP
06-29-2010, 06:25 PM
I think the moment Ron announces that the news will spread like wildfire and it will re-inject all those that have went dormant since the last race. We still need to make sure that many of us are involved in our local GOP and be ready to dominate it when the time comes.

Absolutely. The Russians have nothing on us. There are Sleepers all abound. I know that when the campaign finished in 2008, I was burned out and stayed away from these forums for a couple of months. I have no idea how Ron is able to just keep plugging along for decades. With that said, there are a lot of people who just "unplugged" themselves and will be back here fairly quickly should an announcement be made.

If/when RP announces (and I am with everyone that says he should do it a few days after the Kentucky Senate election), the funds raised in the first two days alone would probably range anywhere from two to five million dollars. I remember the week in September 2007 where he and his staff asked us to fundraise half a million dollars in one week, and we did it in three days. I think we had $5 million altogether at the end of the third quarter (http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2007/10/03/4433421-ron-paul-raises-5-million). So when you think about the fact that Paul could conceivably fundraise the same amount of $5 million dollars within 48 hours of announcing, I think it shows how far we've come as a movement.

November 5'th (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21646939/) was unbelievable, and December 16'th (http://blog.washingtonpost.com/44/2007/12/ron-paul-beats-own-fundraising.html)was just as great.
$20 million raised in the 4'th Quarter made Ron Paul the top fundraiser for the GOP (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2008/02/news-shocker-ro.html) and tied with Hillary Clinton and just behind Barack Obama. If only he had the momentum much earlier, many asked.....

And now, guess what? We're looking at Ron Paul having a $5-$10 million dollar war chest even before the first debates in May of 2011, continuing his domination on-line, and having the most loyal fanbase by far. He'll be armed with hundreds of YouTube videos and articles showing that he was right all along. We just need to focus on two issues, really. The Wars and The Debt. The left will agree on the Wars and grudgingly agree on the Debt while the right will agree on the Debt and grudgingly agree on the Wars.

Call me wildly optimistic, but I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be able to raise $30 to $50 million dollars through the four quarters of campaigning prior to the primary elections.

KramerDSP
06-29-2010, 06:26 PM
Only about 13 months until the Iowa GOP Straw Poll in Ames . . .

I'm actually more pumped for the first GOP Debate. That's gonna be unbelievable. You KNOW everyone's gonna be watching, including the haters. And if Ron wins the text poll after the first debate, I'd love to see them spin THAT!

devil21
06-29-2010, 06:29 PM
I don't think a 2012 run is a given. There's a possibility of a Ron Paul 2012 campaign but I see this visit (and those like it) more as paving the way for a Liberty candidate in 2012 by using Ron's star power to spread the message to Iowans and other early primary state voters. It doesn't mean Ron himself will be the candidate. He's always been more about the message than himself anyway.

Having said that, I'd have a much harder time mustering a lot of enthusiasm for a "designated Liberty candidate" like Gary Johnson than I would for the Dr. himself. I hope he does run but it's certainly not a "given".

KramerDSP
06-29-2010, 06:32 PM
I don't think a 2012 run is a given. There's a possibility of a Ron Paul 2012 campaign but I see this visit (and those like it) more as paving the way for a Liberty candidate in 2012 by using Ron's star power to spread the message to Iowans and other early primary state voters. It doesn't mean Ron himself will be the candidate. He's always been more about the message than himself anyway.

You're probably right, but he's definitely hedging his bets.

Original_Intent
06-29-2010, 07:55 PM

Rather than the first money bomb (and I assume there will be one the day after he announces), I propose July 4, 2011 for the mother of all money bombs. It will still be way early in the race, but give some time to get the "team" organized.

It could be epic.

BLS
06-29-2010, 08:02 PM
Fuck Ed Failor. I was there to shove his crap in his face.

Ron or nothing. I will NOT support a RINO ever again.

Pawlenty, Romney, you name it...they're all RINOs.

Kregisen
06-29-2010, 08:12 PM

There's a guy on ebay selling them fairly cheap. My first one got stolen last week so I ordered 5 more. :D

klamath
06-29-2010, 08:18 PM
RP 2012! I will be setting up my county headquarters.
Campaign slogan; TIRED OF YOUTH AND INEXPERIENCE IN THE WHITEHOUSE VOTE FOR AN ELDER STATESMEN.

CanadaBoy
06-29-2010, 09:18 PM
America and the rest of the world needs you!
Run Ron Run!

FSP-Rebel
06-29-2010, 09:36 PM
Word up, yo.

TNforPaul45
06-29-2010, 10:54 PM
A Ron Paul run in 2012 all depends on Rand.

If Rand Wins in Kentucky, he will open the floodgates and this paradigm, which is already starting to slide, will radically change.

Imagine how different things are now than they are in 2008. LOTS of people on the left see that Obama was and is NOT the magical hope that they needed. Lots of his failures are clearly due to his own ineptitude, not the usual left-right ideological paradigm and criticisms.

LOTS of people on the right, those "McCain" see clearly that the repubs took a real dive and nominated a progressive liberal for their party chair.

I am of the belief that there are MANY MANY people who are now open to our message. Yes the Tea Parties have been hijacked, but LOOK at how many sparks were ignited (if not now jarred up like so many fireflies).

As soon as Ron announces his candidacy (if he does, please God!), then the "fuse" will be "lit" on the first Ron Paul 2012 Money Bomb.

I have the belief that it will potentially be massive. How easier will it be now to get 100,000 RPers to donate $100 now? Much easier than it was in the nascent days in 2008.

If Rand wins, the Media will not be so bold as to openly blackout Ron Paul's message. I think we can shoot so much higher this time.

Everyone who plans to get involved in the 2012 campaign, or who thinks that they will be, GO BACK, look at what was done right and what was done wrong. The campaign was rough around the edges, but that was both a pro and con of it.

We can make a real fight this time. The surging waves in the ocean of liberty have thrown off the stagnancy of tyranny and inaction, and the bright shore awaits for those who have the courage only to swim.

I just finished watching "For Liberty: Ron Paul Revolution." So should you.

............how is that for optimism?

Akus
06-29-2010, 11:36 PM
Even if he does not win again, every time he converts another person to the cause, they are converted for good.There is a crude sophomoric joke here about going black (voting for Obama) and then going to Ron Paul and not going back.....

somewhere.....

speciallyblend
06-29-2010, 11:39 PM
Ron Paul 2012, is already on! old news:) we already announced a 2012 run awhile back;)

Kýrie eléison
06-29-2010, 11:51 PM
12on Paul please!