PDA

View Full Version : Thank George W. Bush for the Right to Own a gun

Stop Making Cents
06-28-2010, 08:45 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/28/AR2010062802134_pf.html

Without his Supreme Court appointments, this case would have turned the other way.

Alito and Roberts help give a 5-4 victory for freedom.

Republicans are loathsome in many ways, but the importance of Supreme Court appointments can not be underestimated. And it is also why we should be very scared of Kagan.

SWATH
06-28-2010, 08:47 AM
Bush has absolutely nothing to do with my right to own a gun and neither does the Supreme Court.

tasteless
06-28-2010, 08:48 AM
George W Bush didn't give me the right to own a gun.

fisharmor
06-28-2010, 08:49 AM
Bush has absolutely nothing to do with my right to own a gun and neither does the Supreme Court.

+1776

We live in a society where 9 people decide rights into and out of existence.
This is inherently anti-liberty.

The game is rigged. I'm done getting excited those few times I happen to win.

Stop Making Cents
06-28-2010, 08:54 AM
George W Bush didn't give me the right to own a gun.

I agree. it is a God-given right. But the liberal justices were salivating at the chance to take it away from us.

And the fact of the matter is that George Bush's appointments prevented that from happening.

klamath
06-28-2010, 09:03 AM
I agree. it is a God-given right. But the liberal justices were salivating at the chance to take it away from us.

And the fact of the matter is that George Bush's appointments prevented that from happening.
As much as I dislike Bush what you say is true. The shift of one vote on the court would have been the end of gun rights.

AuH20
06-28-2010, 09:12 AM
Say what you want about Bush, but he did let the Clinton Assault Weapons Ban expire. He could have easily reinstated it. I think he was a poor president, but at least he didn't completely launch himself off the cliff.

georgiaboy
06-28-2010, 09:12 AM
wouldn't Kagan's appointment keep this decision at 5-4?

Not that I support her nomination - I don't.

And yes, I'm glad Bush nominated the people he did.

Stop Making Cents
06-28-2010, 09:15 AM

Yes, but Scalia and Kennedy are getting pretty old

And O'Conner - the justice replaced by conservative Alito - was a liberal moderate. There's no telling how she would have voted. She made up the law to suit her personal political views.

georgiaboy
06-28-2010, 09:18 AM
then let's hope the GOP nominates a better candidate than McCain in 2012. SCOTUS appointments or no, big gov't Republicans gotta go.

fisharmor
06-28-2010, 09:18 AM
Say what you want about Bush, but he did let the Clinton Assault Weapons Ban expire. He could have easily reinstated it. I think he was a poor president, but at least he didn't completely launch himself off the cliff.

Bzzzzt! Thanks for playing.

He openly stated that he would sign the ban if it was presented to him.
Congress never drafted a new bill.
(Edit: they did draft a bill, but it hasn't gone anywhere.)

Stop Making Cents
06-28-2010, 09:19 AM
then let's hope the GOP nominates a better candidate than McCain in 2012. SCOTUS appointments or no, big gov't Republicans gotta go.

Can't argue with that

georgiaboy
06-28-2010, 09:21 AM
wonder if McCain will vote to appoint Kagan? He doesn't have to for her to get the votes needed, so I doubt he will (politically silly to do so), but it'll be interesting to see.

erowe1
06-28-2010, 09:59 AM
Republicans are loathsome in many ways, but the importance of Supreme Court appointments can not be underestimated. And it is also why we should be very scared of Kagan.

On the contrary. It's partially because so many people follow your reasoning of overestimating the Supreme Court that the Republicans continue to succeed at getting conservatives to vote for moderate candidates.

The truth is, Chicago can simply ignore the Supreme Court's ruling and go on with its gun ban, and those justices can't do a thing about it.

akforme
06-28-2010, 10:08 AM
The only thing I will give him credit for with guns is he made it easier, at least in AK, to get one. No wait time unless it's a company policy.

silentshout
06-28-2010, 10:47 AM
Yeah, thank Bush for that, but also thank him for the Patriot Act, and so many other things. hooray! /s

Brian4Liberty
06-28-2010, 11:52 AM
... the importance of Supreme Court appointments can not be underestimated. And it is also why we should be very scared of Kagan.

Absolutely.

Not that I support her nomination - I don't.

Yeah, we have to be careful. That logic is being used by the Lefties and big government advocates to defend Kagan. "Just confirm her. It doesn't make a difference. It keeps everything the same." No, it doesn't! Isn't this an example of Hegelian dialectic? They keep moving farther and farther towards Statism, but tell you it is just balancing the right and left. Each replacement is worse than the one they replaced.

Brian4Liberty
06-28-2010, 11:55 AM
Lyndsey Graham is up there kissing Kagan's ass right now...and also talking about how she will help fight the war on terror. Then he says, "it won't change the balance of power!". :rolleyes:

White Knight
06-28-2010, 11:57 AM
This is why McCain would have been a HUGE improvement. Instead of 5-4, it would have been 6-3. And he'll be putting Kagan on the SC as soon as she's confirmed.

Fredom101
06-28-2010, 12:17 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/28/AR2010062802134_pf.html

Without his Supreme Court appointments, this case would have turned the other way.

Alito and Roberts help give a 5-4 victory for freedom.

Why not start making sense?

The government doesn't give us rights. George Bush has nothing to do with the ability to own a gun. The government can only take away rights with the threat of force. Not using force in one area does not make the government benevolent.

Fuck George Bush.

Toureg89
06-28-2010, 01:07 PM

yeah, well, GB infringe on the right of counsel, the right of speech, and the right of privacy.

so the least he could do was not infringe on the right to own a crappy semi auto pistol.