PDA

View Full Version : Colbert & farmers : Take our jobs!

WaltM
06-25-2010, 05:19 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100624/ap_on_en_tv/us_immigration_take_our_jobs

I doubt their sincerity, probably betting on the fact most Americans are unwilling to be farmers, they just like to complain.

I'm willing to bet that if Americans DID in big numbers, actually start fighting to work as farmers, low wage non-union industrial jobs, meat packing, cleaning, yard work, there'd no doubt be immigrant revolt (and the media will be sympathetic to them).

Southron
06-25-2010, 06:53 PM
Why do farmers feel they have a right to cheap labor?

noxagol
06-25-2010, 07:16 PM

Every employer wants cheap labor. Every laborer wants sky high wages.

They have a right to cheap labor because cheap labor is presenting itself.

BenIsForRon
06-25-2010, 07:19 PM
This should be funny. I guarantee they aren't going to get many applicants even in the recession. If people were starving, yeah, but people are either getting by on family or government assistance.

These immigrants would work on their own farms if they had land. Problem is that the land their forebears owned have been seized by government and corporations. Now they're screwed and have to risk their lives to make a living on our factory farms.

Kregisen
06-25-2010, 07:42 PM
Never understood why anyone brings up the whole labor point in the immigration issue. It has 0% relevancy.

Illegal immigration is illegal for a number of reasons. It should have nothing to do with whether it helps or hurts our economy.

torchbearer
06-25-2010, 07:48 PM

let's see, how much will you pay for a tomato?
world market says very little.
you say very little.
so, either the farmer finds a cheap way to produce your tomato cheaply domestically, or you import all of your tomatos.
this is the same for all your food products.

we import a lot of food from venezuala. how would you like to give chavez the power over your food source?

ClayTrainor
06-25-2010, 07:58 PM

Why should anyone have the right to force them not to?

BenIsForRon
06-25-2010, 08:01 PM
Americans just need to be willing to pay more for their food again, and less willing to buy pointless shit like Pepsi and Twinkies. The food will be higher quality, the people who grew it will be happier, and Americans will be healthier.

Southron
06-25-2010, 08:29 PM
Americans just need to be willing to pay more for their food again, and less willing to buy pointless shit like Pepsi and Twinkies. The food will be higher quality, the people who grew it will be happier, and Americans will be healthier.

I think if we ever go back to paying realistic prices for our necessities then we will realize our way of life is really in decline.

I believe it has been temporarily propped up by slave wages and we will end up much poorer than our parents and grandparents in the end.

WaltM
06-25-2010, 08:33 PM
Never understood why anyone brings up the whole labor point in the immigration issue. It has 0% relevancy.

Illegal immigration is illegal for a number of reasons. It should have nothing to do with whether it helps or hurts our economy.

such as what? skin color? language? religion?

WaltM
06-25-2010, 08:34 PM

not all Americans want to be healthy, or else smoking and drinking wouldn't be so prevalent.

LibForestPaul
06-25-2010, 08:38 PM
such as what? skin color? language? religion?

1. Health
2. Welfare
3. Power

WaltM
06-25-2010, 08:53 PM
1. Health

So if we health screened them, you'd be happy?

2. Welfare

how is that not economical?

3. Power

political power? how is that not cultural, racial?
Why do you care if immigrants have power unless you believe you're superior to them and don't want them to rule you?

Brian4Liberty
06-25-2010, 09:09 PM
let's see, how much will you pay for a tomato?
world market says very little.
you say very little.
so, either the farmer finds a cheap way to produce your tomato cheaply domestically, or you import all of your tomatos.
this is the same for all your food products.

The tomatoes in my stores are generally around $1.99/lb, and they taste like Styrofoam. I would say that is overly expensive, and reeks of a market manipulation of some kind (government, agricorp or both). That is why I grow them myself.

torchbearer
06-25-2010, 09:27 PM
The tomatoes in my stores are generally around $1.99/lb, and they taste like Styrofoam. I would say that is overly expensive, and reeks of a market manipulation of some kind (government, agricorp or both). That is why I grow them myself.

the only reason most of our corporate farmers are in business is because of tariffs on certain protected crops. sugar being one of them.
the small farmers were squeezed out of the market years ago.

silverhandorder
06-25-2010, 09:59 PM
This is so fucking stupid it is beyond belief. So basically dems are poking fun of anti immigration people trying to say they would not work for such low wages. The problem here is that dems campaign against these low wages. In fact if they had their way right now we would have all those illegals legalized and getting paid more then their labor is worth. So then the domestic products would cost more and probably have to shut down because foreigners can supply cheaper produce.

Easy answer to Colbert and his campaign would be pay for your own big government.

tjeffersonsghost
06-25-2010, 10:03 PM
I think if we ever go back to paying realistic prices for our necessities then we will realize our way of life is really in decline.

I believe it has been temporarily propped up by slave wages and we will end up much poorer than our parents and grandparents in the end.

What you said... The real effects of inflation have not been realized because of slave labor. I think reality, when it does hit, will come swift and those not ready will be in a world of hurt....

WaltM
06-25-2010, 10:03 PM
This is so fucking stupid it is beyond belief. So basically dems are poking fun of anti immigration people trying to say they would not work for such low wages.

What's wrong with that?

The problem here is that dems campaign against these low wages.

Yes, they usually do, and if these farmers had it there way, they'd ask for more money, or ask for less work.

In fact if they had their way right now we would have all those illegals legalized and getting paid more then their labor is worth. So then the domestic products would cost more and probably have to shut down because foreigners can supply cheaper produce.

Easy answer to Colbert and his campaign would be pay for your own big government.

they'll definitely pay for their big government if it's going to work for them.
they'll fight against big government if it's asking for their papers.

WaltM
06-25-2010, 10:04 PM
What you said... The real effects of inflation have not been realized because of slave labor. I think reality, when it does hit, will come swift and those not ready will be in a world of hurt....

if that's true, we ought to keep importing labor, and outsourcing work, to counter inflation's damage (or to make it unnecessary)

Brian4Liberty
06-25-2010, 10:06 PM
What you said... The real effects of inflation have not been realized because of slave labor.

That was the (admitted) Greenspan plan. Inflate everywhere but wages and it all works out perfectly on a government inflation chart...

Brian4Liberty
06-25-2010, 10:07 PM
if that's true, we ought to keep importing labor, and outsourcing work, to counter inflation's damage (or to make it unnecessary)

Alan Greenspan, is that you!?

WaltM
06-25-2010, 10:11 PM
Alan Greenspan, is that you!?

no, I'm here, silly!

YouTube - south park-they took our jobs!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLni3wbndls)

akforme
06-26-2010, 03:41 AM
I was talking to my dad about this today in fact. They live in a high agriculture area and yes Mexicans are pretty much all that work there. Right now they are between crops and are pretty much living off the church... which I think is a lot better than the government, but they don't appreciate the help, the expect / demand it. My mom used to volunteer and is very sympathetic to their plight but she couldn't take it anymore and quit because she got sick of being yelled at for not doing enough.