PDA

View Full Version : Meaningless Polls?

stevedasbach
10-14-2007, 06:41 AM
I found this comment on another site.
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/rawfisher/2007/10/24_hours_of_presidential_polit.html?hpid=news-col-blog

"Believe it or not, but over the past two weeks in conversations with my DC neighbors and residents who live on Capitol Hill, I found the following: out of 37 people who I know, talked to and are registered voters, not one has watched a single minute of any debate (Dem or GOP); not one person (male or female, black or white) said they are committed to any one candidate; people say they are too busy with kids, jobs, school or local neighborhood issues to be bothered with the Presidential race; most sort of have an idea who is running in both parties; all said it is too early to follow the candidates but all said they will vote in November 2008. It seems that this unscientific sampling supports your view that nothing has been decided and it is much too early to say anything is over. (None of the 37 work for Congress or either major Party.) "

These are the people responding to phone polls.

Bradley in DC
10-14-2007, 06:44 AM
Exactly, thanks.

anewvoice
10-14-2007, 07:14 AM
It also shows that we win if we show up with more voters come primary day than anyone else. If most people are going to go vote, then we can simply win with a small %!

Harry96
10-14-2007, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the encouraging word. And it's true -- the polls are nothing but name recognition at this point, and most people still aren't paying much attention.

In an article on LewRockwell.com the other day, Rick Fisk pointed out that, leading into Iowa and NH in 2004, Kerry was behind Sharpton in the polls, 4% to 5%. After Kerry won both states, he was almost immediately polling at 53%:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/fisk/fisk22.html

It's not inconceivable by any means that RP would win NH; if he does, his star will rise almost overnight.

Ron Paul Fan
10-14-2007, 07:24 AM
Yep. We know that our loyal fans are going to show up on primary/caucus day like the above post says. Other candidates not so much. If people who haven't looked into any candidate get called they may just say someone they've heard of which is probably only Rudy, Romney, McCain, and Thompson. This is why we've got to spread the word! Also, a recent poll showed Congressman Paul at 10% among moderates in New Hampshire and 8% among moderates in Michigan. These people can also vote! So we just have to work on spreading the message and hopefully the poll numbers will go up, but if they stay in single digits then it'll just be a shock when we pull the upset in these states. The new radio ads the campaign bought hopefully will help boost Republican support!