PDA

View Full Version : Grab an Obamabot and tell them: A lot more people are gonna die!

teacherone
06-25-2010, 11:55 AM
Petraeus to Modify Afghanistan Rules of Engagement, Source Says

Print Close
- FOXNews.com

- June 25, 2010

A military source close to Gen. David Petraeus told Fox News that one of the first things the general will do when he takes over in Afghanistan is to modify the rules of engagement to make it easier for U.S. troops to engage in combat with the enemy, though a Petraeus spokesman pushed back on the claim.

Troops on the ground and some military commanders have said the strict rules -- aimed at preventing civilian casualties -- have effectively forced the troops to fight with one hand tied behind their backs.

The military source who has talked with Petraeus said the general will make those changes. Other sources were not so sure, but said they wouldn't be surprised to see that happen once Petraeus takes command.

Petraeus spokesman Col. Erik Gunhus disputed the claim Friday, telling Fox News it's too soon to tell whether Petraeus would change the current rules. But he said it is one of many issues he'll take under consideration during his assessment after he's confirmed and after he takes over command in Afghanistan.

Any adjustment to the rules of engagement does not mean the counterinsurgency strategy in Afghanistan will change. President Obama stressed Wednesday -- after he accepted Gen. Stanley McChrystal's resignation in the wake of a magazine article in which he and his staff were critical of the administration -- that the change-up does not represent a shift in war policy.

Rather, Defense Secretary Robert Gates said Thursday that Petraeus, currently head of U.S. Central Command and the former U.S. commander in Iraq, will have the flexibility to reconsider "the campaign plan and the approach."

At the same news conference at the Pentagon, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Adm. Mike Mullen said Petraeus will be able to make tactical changes. But he said that does not necessarily mean changes will be made and echoed the president's insistence that the strategy stays as he prepared for a visit to the war zone.

"My message will be clear: Nothing changes about our strategy, nothing changes about the mission," Mullen said.

The issue is likely to be front and center in Senate confirmation hearings for Petraeus next week.

Fox News' Steve Centanni and Justin Fishel contributed to this report.

SEARCH

RM918
06-25-2010, 01:14 PM
They didn't care about civilian deaths yesterday, why all of a sudden? It just isn't real to them.

sevin
06-25-2010, 02:15 PM
This is exactly right. Like I said in another thread:

Here's a possible reason he really got fired. From the article:

Despite the tragedies and miscues, McChrystal has issued some of the strictest directives to avoid civilian casualties that the U.S. military has ever encountered in a war zone. It's "insurgent math," as he calls it – for every innocent person you kill, you create 10 new enemies. He has ordered convoys to curtail their reckless driving, put restrictions on the use of air power and severely limited night raids. He regularly apologizes to Hamid Karzai when civilians are killed, and berates commanders responsible for civilian deaths. "For a while," says one U.S. official, "the most dangerous place to be in Afghanistan was in front of McChrystal after a 'civ cas' incident."

He didn't do things the American way. TPTB seem to want to create new enemies.

phill4paul
06-25-2010, 02:26 PM
Lalalalllalalalalllalalal...I can't hear you....Lalalalllalalallla....Obama!........Lalalal alalal....Yes we can!.....Lalalalalalala.:p

phill4paul
06-25-2010, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the quote sevin I haven't read the article. Gee he is saying the exact same thing that RP says. "Insurgent Math" No wonder he was replaced.

ClayTrainor
06-25-2010, 02:37 PM
I'm reminded of a recent Penn Jillette quote...

I disagree with Bush and Obama on all the stuff they agree on, which is pretty much everything. They both want to kill people,....