PDA

View Full Version : Will your cell phone give you away?

Matt Collins
06-24-2010, 01:53 PM
Cell phone companies know where you are every time you make a call. GPS devices keep a record of the routes you take around town. Social networking services alert friends when you’re nearby.

But there’s no clear standard for how law enforcement agencies should get access to these records that track consumers’ every move. The topic will be examined in a hearing Thursday as lawmakers begin the process of rewriting the laws that govern the sharing of electronic communications.

SOURCE: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0610/38930.html#ixzz0rnn3UkCJ (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0610/38930.html#ixzz0rnn3UkCJ)

Zippyjuan
06-24-2010, 01:56 PM
If you only use a cell phone it could save your life if they have some way to know just where you are when you call 911. With land lines, they don't move around so they know where a call comes from but a cell phone could be anywhere. One argument in favor of being able to tell the location of a particular phone.

moostraks
06-24-2010, 02:09 PM
Want to annoy people? Don't own a cellphone. We got rid of ours 2 years back and it has been quite liberating. It sure does perplex people though when they demand alternative contact information and there is none. :D

Anti Federalist
06-24-2010, 02:12 PM
Want to annoy people? Don't own a cellphone. We got rid of ours 2 years back and it has been quite liberating. It sure does perplex people though when they demand alternative contact information and there is none. :D

I'm getting to that point as well, after years, all the way back to analog "bag phones", of carrying these nuisance devices around, I'm leaving mine turned off and left behind more and more.

Agorism
06-24-2010, 02:19 PM
Most of the phones still ping even when turned off. In fact I read an article about how FBI can listen in to turned off phone.

noxagol
06-24-2010, 02:24 PM
If you want to be sure, leave it somewhere. Even taking the battery out might not be good enough, as it might have a backup inside for something like this. Or smash it. Smash it good and burn it.

Anti Federalist
06-24-2010, 02:25 PM
Most of the phones still ping even when turned off. In fact I read an article about how FBI can listen in to turned off phone.

Yup, that they do.

The phone's location and mike can be pinged and activated while shut off.

Only sure thing is to remove the battery, and then shield it, if you really want to be sure.

Zippyjuan
06-24-2010, 02:25 PM
I have never owned one in the first place.

Anti Federalist
06-24-2010, 02:30 PM
If you want to be sure, leave it somewhere. Even taking the battery out might not be good enough, as it might have a backup inside for something like this. Or smash it. Smash it good and burn it.

Or that ^^

http://www.csn.ul.ie/~cheese/Generic_shite/Kill_it_with_fire.gif

Reason
06-24-2010, 02:34 PM
Hence why they are trying to ban prepaid anonymous cell phones.

Vessol
06-24-2010, 02:40 PM
I hate how the State loves to turn what could be a great personal convenience to many people into a tool for them.

Matt Collins
06-24-2010, 02:43 PM
Just wrap it in tin foil, that should do the trick :p;)

evilfunnystuff
06-24-2010, 02:56 PM

lol

Dr.3D
06-24-2010, 03:00 PM

That really should stop it from transmitting anything. It's not possible for RF to go through the aluminum foil if it completely encloses the device.

Anti Federalist
06-24-2010, 03:44 PM
That really should stop it from transmitting anything. It's not possible for RF to go through the aluminum foil if it completely encloses the device.

Wrap it in lead golf or auto body tape if you really want to be sure about it.

RideTheDirt
06-24-2010, 03:58 PM
not true. I used 12 layers and it still rang. I was also out of foil.
TIN foil would work much better but is toxic...so is no longer sold

edit:nvm it works :P it wasn't sealed the first time

akforme
06-24-2010, 04:30 PM

I never liked them or had one of my own. I had one for work that my boss took away from me because it sat in my desk, turned off for 3 months. My wife makes me take one when I drive into town but if she doesn't call I don't use it, plus I miss most of the times she calls anyway..

Dr.3D
06-24-2010, 04:30 PM
not true. I used 12 layers and it still rang. I was also out of foil.
TIN foil would work much better but is toxic...so is no longer sold

Well then, Mr. Faraday was wrong and everything we think we know about electricity doesn't work.

ChaosControl
06-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Maybe I should switch to one of those internet phones.
I have a prepay type cell, but even with 150 mins on it a month I keep building up the amount. Kind of a waste of $15/mo.