PDA

View Full Version : What should I ask state Senate candidate?

Matt Collins
06-24-2010, 10:16 AM
I am interviewing a State Senate candidate to see if they meet the requirements for me to support them. This individual (allegedly) voted for Ron Paul, and is a libertarian. However they have never held office and they do not have a voting record.

What should I ask them to attempt to gauge their "libertarian credentials"? :confused:

MelissaWV
06-24-2010, 10:22 AM
Cover your major bases, and cover both future and current events.

What are your thoughts on the Federal Reserve?
Can you name me a few circumstances under which you would okay sending troops into foreign airspace, waterways, or onto foreign soil?
Why did you vote for Ron Paul?
What sort of regulation/changes should be made in the wake of the BP spill, on a national level? On a state level (if your state were affected)?
Are there any Government departments you wish would vanish?

I'm sure people will post more, and I doubt you're going in to make this an interrogation.

Matt Collins
06-24-2010, 10:34 AM
I doubt you're going in to make this an interrogation.Actually I am, so keep them coming :)

LittleLightShining
06-24-2010, 10:42 AM
Cover your major bases, and cover both future and current events.

What are your thoughts on the Federal Reserve?
Can you name me a few circumstances under which you would okay sending troops into foreign airspace, waterways, or onto foreign soil?
Why did you vote for Ron Paul?
What sort of regulation/changes should be made in the wake of the BP spill, on a national level? On a state level (if your state were affected)?
Are there any Government departments you wish would vanish?

I'm sure people will post more, and I doubt you're going in to make this an interrogation.I think you should focus on issues that relate to the scope of the office he's seeking.

What does he think about federal mandates with funds and strings attached? If he opposes the idea how exactly would he oppose it as a State Senator?

Why should I vote for you?

What would you do differently than the incumbent?

Kregisen
06-24-2010, 10:56 AM
Don't forget asking about the war on drugs!!!! One of the best libertarian testing issues out there.

Mahkato
06-24-2010, 11:03 AM
How do you feel about nullification & secession?

What is the Non-Aggression Principle?

What do you like to put on your pancakes?

What percentage of the current state budget do you think should be eliminated?

GunnyFreedom
06-24-2010, 11:05 AM
Would you support 10th Amendment acts that put the State Government into a direct conflict with the Federal Government, such as a Health Care Protection Act, or the Firearms Freedom Act?

Since the State Legislatures elected in 2010 will redraw the voting districts, what is your plan for redrawing these districts, and will you vote for or against a gerrymander if it happens to favor your party?

If you encountered a bill to block Federal education programs like No Child Left Behind, would you support it?

If Tennessee considered enacting a State-level currency in competition with the Federal Reserve Notes of the US Dollar, would you support it?

NerveShocker
06-24-2010, 11:10 AM
What is his position on Genetically modified foods and Monsanto? How does he react to the Haiti's response of destroying thousands of pounds of donated "food" from companies like this.

Elwar
06-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Do you support the initiation of force in order to obtain money from me to spend on things I do not agree with?

KCIndy
06-24-2010, 11:48 AM
Ask him if he supports the Second Amendment. Might want to ask if he has any knowledge of the Firearms Freedom Act that several states are enacting.

While you're at it, if this is Tennessee you're talking about, ask him what the chances are of shaving a few percentage points off your godawful sales tax!! :D

AuH2O
06-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Ask him if he supports the Second Amendment. Might want to ask if he has any knowledge of the Firearms Freedom Act that several states are enacting.

TN already passed an FFA, I believe.

Questions are well and good, but whatever issue it is you decide on -- see if you can get him to sign a pledge, or better yet, go on video.

fisharmor
06-24-2010, 12:27 PM
I'd go straight for 3rd rail type questions.

Firearms - skip the penny ante stuff and go straight for "Do you or do you not support unregulated, unlicensed, and untaxed private ownership of fully automatic firearms".

Drugs - go straight for "Do you or do you not support immediate decriminalization of all drugs", or "Do you or do you not support the immediate dismantling of the FDA".

Private property - "Do you or do you not support immediate elimination of property taxes".

Education - "Do you or do you not support elimination of compulsory state-run education systems".

If it were me, I would deliberately avoid any question that your average politician would feel comfortable answering directly. I would phrase questions in terms of what the average libertarian would probably consider ideal (and the average politician would consider insanity), and let him back away from that if he doesn't agree.

Matt Collins
06-24-2010, 02:50 PM
A couple of hours until I am there. Any other thoughts?

Matt Collins
06-24-2010, 02:57 PM
If Tennessee considered enacting a State-level currency in competition with the Federal Reserve Notes of the US Dollar, would you support it?
In Art 1 Sec 10 of the US Constitution says the States can't do this:

No state shall enter into any treaty, alliance, or confederation; grant letters of marque and reprisal; coin money; emit bills of credit; make anything but gold and silver coin a tender in payment of debts; pass any bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law impairing the obligation of contracts, or grant any title of nobility.

Matt Collins
06-25-2010, 02:15 AM
So I met this guy tonight. WOW! He is the real deal! I think yall are about to see me get seriously excited about a state senate race.

libertybrewcity
06-25-2010, 02:18 AM
cool, does he have a website?

Matt Collins
06-25-2010, 10:18 AM
cool, does he have a website?
http://www.votedickerson.com/