PDA

View Full Version : Which of these makes one an automatic Founding Father?

Galileo Galilei
06-23-2010, 04:36 PM
Which of these makes one an automatic Founding Father?

1) signed the Declaration of Independence

2) signed the Constitution

3) attended the Constitutional Convention, but did not sign it

4) authored some of the Federalist Papers

5) authored some of the anti-Federalist Papers

6) authored Patriot writings that lead to the Revolution

7) member of the 1st US Congress

8) member of George Washington's cabinet

9) appointed to Supreme Court by Washington

10) fought in the Revolutionary War

11) fought in the War of 1812

12) participated in the Boston Tea Party

13) served in the Continental Congress

14) voted for the Constitution at the State Ratifying Conventions

15) voted against the Constitution at the State Ratifying Conventions

16) served as an early president of the United States

17) served as an early vice-president of the United States

18) Supreme Court justice in the Marshall Court

19) thrived as American Statesman prior to 1836, the death of James Madison

20) other

RedLightning
06-23-2010, 04:45 PM
Alot of those would make a person a founding father in my opinion.

malkusm
06-23-2010, 04:58 PM
The question is "Which makes them a Founding Father automatically?"

I think anyone who was influential enough to have signed the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution was a "Founding Father." I think anyone who was influential enough to have authored the Federalist or anti-Federalist papers were "Founding Fathers," whether I agree with them or not.

Member of 1st US Congress? Eh, I'm hesistant to say that just any member of Congress can be declared a "Founding Father." Same with "appointed to first Supreme Court."

Served in a war? Hell no. A lot of people served in the wars. Participated in the Boston Tea Party? Hell no. A lot of people were there, and a few were likely there due to coincidence.

Served as an "early" president/vice-president? Define "early." I consider John Adams to be a Founding Father, for instance; I don't consider John Quincy Adams to be one, though.

malkusm
06-23-2010, 05:02 PM
For the record, this is what I voted for:

1) signed the Declaration of Independence

2) signed the Constitution

4) authored some of the Federalist Papers

5) authored some of the anti-Federalist Papers

14) voted for the Constitution at the State Ratifying Conventions

15) voted against the Constitution at the State Ratifying Conventions

erowe1
06-23-2010, 05:07 PM
I voted for all except 11 and 19 (IIRC). I wavered on 16 and 17 because of the subjectivity of "early." I also would probably not include every single Marshall court justice all the way down to 1835, though I still tentatively voted for #18.

Galileo Galilei
06-23-2010, 05:08 PM
The question is "Which makes them a Founding Father automatically?"

I think anyone who was influential enough to have signed the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution was a "Founding Father." I think anyone who was influential enough to have authored the Federalist or anti-Federalist papers were "Founding Fathers," whether I agree with them or not.

Agreed.

Member of 1st US Congress? Eh, I'm hesistant to say that just any member of Congress can be declared a "Founding Father." Same with "appointed to first Supreme Court."

The first congress wrote the Bill-of-Rights.

Served in a war? Hell no. A lot of people served in the wars. Participated in the Boston Tea Party? Hell no. A lot of people were there, and a few were likely there due to coincidence.

What about George Washington? What about Nathaniel Greene. Paul Revere? John Paul Jones? (who helped found the American navy)

Served as an "early" president/vice-president? Define "early." I consider John Adams to be a Founding Father, for instance; I don't consider John Quincy Adams to be one, though.

early presidents are Andrew Jackosn or earlier. Semi-early are those before the Civil war.

erowe1
06-23-2010, 05:16 PM
early presidents are Andrew Jackosn or earlier. Semi-early are those before the Civil war.

I definitely wouldn't consider Andrew Jackson or John Quincy Adams founding fathers. But all the ones before that I would. I'm not sure about VPs.

Galileo Galilei
06-24-2010, 01:45 PM
I definitely wouldn't consider Andrew Jackson or John Quincy Adams founding fathers. But all the ones before that I would. I'm not sure about VPs.

Jackson was a page in the Revolutionary war, and got into an alternation with the British.