PDA

View Full Version : If you could go to college where would you go?

libertybrewcity
06-23-2010, 02:53 PM
I go to a university right now but am looking to transfer somewhere. I know a lot of people are against college here, but anyone have any ideas or good things to say about any particular college or university?

I am looking for a midgrade school, not an ivy league but not a community college.

dannno
06-23-2010, 02:58 PM
If I could go back I'd pick the same school that I went to and I wouldn't mind living in that town forever.. Isla Vista at UCSB

Kludge
06-23-2010, 03:09 PM
Ummm.... Spring Arbor University. It's pretty hardcore Christian, but they do their observed teaching hours at my old high school and I know a few of the professors.

(I'm guessing that wasn't helpful?)

Son of Detroit
06-23-2010, 03:18 PM
I'm hoping to get into the University of Michigan. I've wanted to go there my whole life. Applying to Brown and Dartmouth because of their fantastic financial aid programs... I know it's a long shot, but would save be so much money.

If I don't get accepted to any of those, hopefully either George Mason or Hillsdale College. Both have great economics programs with a free market slant. Walter Williams is a professor at George Mason.

MelissaWV
06-23-2010, 03:20 PM
I went to UF. Strangely, I've wound up back here to help my parents get settled in. The area's nice and there's plenty to do, and since most people like the heat I guess that's a plus as well.

I've heard it's insanely expensive (well, where ISN'T these days?) and difficult to get into, but I haven't looked into it. I'm fine not going back to school.

jsu718
06-23-2010, 03:23 PM
I depends entirely on what you want your major to be. Programs at individual colleges could range from one of the top in the nation to nothing. Plus it depends on if you are looking into the "college experience" or looking to actually learn something and get a respected degree.

JeNNiF00F00
06-23-2010, 03:38 PM

TCE
06-23-2010, 04:10 PM
We're not against college, just against harboring massive student loans when you get out of college. It's much better to go to a private school and leave with no debt at all than go to a public university and owe $100,000 before you get your diploma. Also, make sure you know your career will be around in 10 years.

silus
06-23-2010, 04:15 PM
I visited Boston and it seems like an amazing place to go to school! Tons of great schools located there too. Boston College, Boston University, Suffolk, Tufts. Not even counting MIT and Harvard. Pretty awesome. Personally i've heard great things about Tufts and Suffolk.

malkusm
06-23-2010, 04:15 PM
Agreed. What program do you want to go into and what is your goal for after school?

For example, my alma mater (Virginia Tech) is an awesome engineering/math school, but pretty crappy if your into arts or humanities.

For grad school, I used this: http://mises.org/classroom/gradschool.pdf ;)

libertybrewcity
06-23-2010, 04:20 PM
i am majoring in political science/politics, pre med major, and minor in chinese but not a lot of schools have a chinese program.

CoreyBowen999
06-23-2010, 04:22 PM
University of Texas, of course.

malkusm
06-23-2010, 04:38 PM
i am majoring in political science/politics, pre med major, and minor in chinese but not a lot of schools have a chinese program.

A lot of things to consider.

1) Are there any good public-school programs in the state(s) where you have residency? That's where I would look first. [Note: I know, fuck the state!!!1! But, seriously guys, it's a hell of a deal for most people, and since it requires residency, your tax dollars are already paying for it....might as well take advantage.]

2) Look at programs which are competitive and well-respected in the political science field, so that if you decide to enter the job market after your undergrad, you have a degree that will get you looks. If you're at this stage, don't worry about the cost - you can pay it back in a few years.

3) Apply to scholarships on Fastweb, locally, and departmentally as early and as often as you can, to avoid taking on debt.

EDIT: If you go the in-state route, check out the community college policies in your state. In Virginia, for example, a student who attended a community college for two years and received a B- or better in every class could get instant admission to any public in-state school that carried their program. If you're worried about being turned down by the admissions board, rules like this are great.

dannno
06-23-2010, 04:45 PM
Plus it depends on if you are looking into the "college experience" or looking to actually learn something and get a respected degree.

That's the great thing about the school I suggested, UCSB.. it is the ultimate fun/chill/party atmosphere college town.. the people are all really cool, the best in fact.. but it also has an extremely good academic reputation.. Basically everybody there is really smart and parties hard..almost every night so most people there are always partying or going to class or studying or sports, that is all people do there.. but what else would one want to do in college :confused:

It also has a Chinese program.

TCE
06-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Mal: Does Fastweb actually work? Do you know anyone who has had success with it?

malkusm
06-23-2010, 04:50 PM
Mal: Does Fastweb actually work? Do you know anyone who has had success with it?

I've gotten a couple $1000 scholarships from there and entered into a couple others. It really just depends on how much time you take to fill out your profile. You're bound to get the crap that doesn't get caught by the filter, but there are occasionally some opportunities there....

libertybrewcity
06-23-2010, 05:44 PM
I've gotten a couple $1000 scholarships from there and entered into a couple others. It really just depends on how much time you take to fill out your profile. You're bound to get the crap that doesn't get caught by the filter, but there are occasionally some opportunities there....

that is great to hear from someone who it actually worked for.

thanks to everyone for the helpful tips and ideas.

Baptist
06-24-2010, 11:15 PM
that is great to hear from someone who it actually worked for.

thanks to everyone for the helpful tips and ideas.

Join the honors program at your college. I'm in honors and the honors department emails me EVERY scholarship opportunity that comes through this school. The department also tries to help honors students get the best ones.

Matt Collins
06-25-2010, 12:12 AM
George Mason University is going to be your best bet for a "libertarian" education.

Matt Collins
06-25-2010, 12:15 AM
I went to UF. Strangely, I've wound up back here to help my parents get settled in. The area's nice and there's plenty to do, and since most people like the heat I guess that's a plus as well.

I've heard it's insanely expensive (well, where ISN'T these days?) and difficult to get into, but I haven't looked into it. I'm fine not going back to school.
So you live in Gainesville now?

libertybrewcity
06-25-2010, 12:27 AM
George Mason University is going to be your best bet for a "libertarian" education.

that is funny that you mentioned that school. i just applied there! i didn't know it was a 'libertarian' education but i am seriously considering it if i get accepted. thanks

christinag
06-25-2010, 01:24 AM
If i could go back i must select the same University Of Diego

Brian4Liberty
06-25-2010, 01:32 AM
If I could go back I'd pick the same school that I went to and I wouldn't mind living in that town forever.. Isla Vista at UCSB

lol! Can hardly go wrong there! Other nice choices in Cal:

- Cal State Chico.
- Cal State Humboldt.
- UCSD.

I depends entirely on what you want your major to be. Programs at individual colleges could range from one of the top in the nation to nothing. Plus it depends on if you are looking into the "college experience" or looking to actually learn something and get a respected degree.

Yep, pick a school that has a strong program for your major.

Some other factors:

- in State or out of State tuition costs.
- college town or urban college.
- cost of living at the College.

Matt Collins
06-25-2010, 02:08 AM
that is funny that you mentioned that school. i just applied there! i didn't know it was a 'libertarian' education but i am seriously considering it if i get accepted. thanks
Their political science dept is very conservative and somewhat libertarian leaning. Their economics and law department is VERY libertarian leaning. Walter Williams is based out of there. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_E._Williams

I believe it is the only university that teaches Austrian Economics.

Elwar
06-25-2010, 08:46 AM
Knowing what I know now, I'm not sure what I would choose for college.

You might think that the point of going to college is to learn, but in all practical respects, it's to get that Bachelor's Degree.

When you go out into the workforce, you list that you have a Bachelor's in the field that you're applying for and they really don't care what school you went to, or even what your grades were. Everyone always talks about "well, what if it came down to you and someone with the exact same qualifications....", don't change your life based on that rare scenario.
Sure, it might look better on your resume if you have a degree from a college that most people have heard of (I went to Michigan State). But once you get your first job, that job is going to be the forefront of your future resumes, not your college experience.

I think if I were to go back to school, I'd just do it all online. Or go to a big city and get a job with a company that pays for your school.

My current company pays $5,500 a year toward school. I take online courses toward my Masters degree. I didn't really care what school I get my degree from. The Masters part of it is the most important. I signed up for classes at Florida Institute of Technology (www.fit.edu). The classes cater toward people who are working so I find it convenient.

Also, the important part of your diploma is the degree. There's a huge difference between a B.A. and a B.S. You can find jobs a lot easier with a B.S. I actually got a B.A. in Telecommunications, only because the Internet was just getting going and they didn't know where to put the IT folks, so they lumped us in with the journalism and TV/radio department (which is a BA). I only had to clarify that once, with my first employer. From then on it was all about my IT experience.

madengr
06-28-2010, 10:46 AM
http://www.hillsdale.edu/about/history/dec_of_independence.asp

WHEREAS, the thousands of young men and young women who have studied here have been taught some fundamental truths; among these is that the freedom guaranteed them as citizens of this great country is the freedom to dream and aspire without limit and the freedom to fulfill their dreams and aspirations without interference; that our country's greatness is the result not of government benevolence but rather of individual initiative and enterprise; that responsibility is the counterpart of independence; and

http://www.hillsdale.edu/about/default.asp

Founded in 1844, Hillsdale College is an independent, coeducational, residential, liberal arts college with a student body of about 1,300. Its four-year curriculum leads to the bachelor of arts or bachelor of science degree, and it is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools.

Hillsdale’s educational mission rests upon two principles: academic excellence and institutional independence. The College does not accept federal or state taxpayer subsidies for any of its operations.

Located in rural southern Michigan, the nearly 200-acre Hillsdale campus includes both modern and historic buildings. Excellent facilities include comfortable residence halls, subject-specific computer labs, a state-of-the-art health education and sports complex, Michael Alex Mossey Library with its Leighton-Taylor Wing, the Sage Center for the Arts, the Herbert Henry Dow Science Building, Howard Music Hall and two new classroom buildings—Kendall Hall and Lane Hall. Adjacent to the campus is the model primary and secondary school, Hillsdale Academy, whose comprehensive Reference Guide is used in hundreds of schools throughout the country.

An ideal student-to-faculty ratio of 10-to-1, rigorous academics, intramural sports, national fraternity and sorority houses and widespread community volunteerism nurture intellectual, physical, social and personal growth. A broad perspective is encouraged through opportunities for off-campus internships, overseas study programs and the adjunct seminars of the Center for Constructive Alternatives, Mises Lectures in free-market economics, the National Leadership Seminars and the Hoogland Center for Teacher Excellence.

libertybrewcity
07-01-2010, 01:16 AM
thanks

libertybrewcity
07-01-2010, 01:17 AM
i was definitely considering applying to hillsdale college. i know they have a great reputation for a conservative education. i was a little disappointed with their class offerings, but that is what you get for being such a small school.

John Taylor
07-01-2010, 03:23 PM
i was definitely considering applying to hillsdale college. i know they have a great reputation for a conservative education. i was a little disappointed with their class offerings, but that is what you get for being such a small school.

I have some knowledge of the place, what do you want to know about it?

The history and economics departments are excellent, and are extremely Austrian... the political science department is heavily neo-conservative. Just an fyi.

Christianlibertarian
07-16-2010, 04:53 PM
Grove City College - They refuse to accept federal loans and they keep their prices down by not going into debt while keeping very high academic standards. This way you won't be part of the price inflation of college. By not accepting federal aid, they are not beholden to federal propaganda. They teach Austrian economics and libertarian politics.

George Mason is also a very good school (and sometimes has a good basketball team too)!

Theocrat
07-16-2010, 08:14 PM
New Saint Andrews College (http://www.nsa.edu/index.php) is a very good choice for those wanting a classical Christian education.

osan
07-28-2010, 07:44 AM
I go to a university right now but am looking to transfer somewhere. I know a lot of people are against college here, but anyone have any ideas or good things to say about any particular college or university?

I am looking for a midgrade school, not an ivy league but not a community college.

Interesting question. I went to USC, had some fun, but it was $$$ and the bang for the buck was so-so at best, IMO. Then I went to UC Davis. Far less $$$, a good engineering school and school of arts and science (I was a triple major), but ultimately unsatisfying. I then returned home to NYC and attended CCNY and had the best experience of my life.

You are asking the right question the wrong way, IMO. It is all about what interests you. If you know that, then you find a school that offers it and you go there and you have a good time and educate yourself. That is what is important. You will never be educated by someone else, for the instructors can only act as a guide and a channel for some information. The learning is up to you alone. This doesn't mean that a good instructor is not useful, maybe even necessary, but I can tell you without reservation that you can become fabulously well learned a person despite your institution. It really is up to you. The main thing is that you hold interest in your fields of study and you are comfortable in your learning environment, and to that last point the choice of school is important - that is the "how good" factor that counts, not a school's paper rating.

Evergreen College in WA, I hear, is very good that way, as is Reed College in Portland Oregon. CCNY is a great school if you don't mind your days in Harlem, which was no issue for me. I have heard George Mason University in VA is a really good school. Impossible to say for you, though. If you are really that concerned, you need to look around and visit campuses. When a visit leaves you all happy inside, you will know you found a place for yourself. That is about it. I got very lucky with CCNY - the staff was as good as any Ivy League school.

BTW, I did my MBA at Drexel in 2005 and it, too, is a very good school, if a bit pricey (though not as high as UPenn, next door).

Much of what you choose will also depend on why you are going to school. I've been to a lot of schools, have 7 degrees, and have known a LOT of other students. One thing that stood out at me was that most students have no idea why they are in school at all, save that they are supposed to be there. I was the same until I got to CCNY, at which point I knew precisely why I was there: I loved what I was doing. Many (most??) students are going through motions they believe are expected of them, Most of those do OK in terms of grades, but I have known quite a few who look back on their college experience and say that is was "OK" at best. My oldest friend from high school, Butthole, went to NYU, got a business degree, and was miserable for four years. The only real fun he ever had, besides getting laid, was when I'd show up to his dorm room on bitter winter nights and we'd bomb pedestrians with 30 gallons of water from 11 stories straight up. Yes we ere Eville little bastards. He still says how much he hated college. I, too, had a middling to miserable time until I got to CCNY, after which I had what so far have been the three best years of my life. Every day was play and adventure for me.

So don't worry too, too much about "how good" the school is by any standard other than that of your eyes, ears, and heart. Visit a school and see how it makes you feel. When I was in high school all I wanted was to go to Princeton because my dad did his PhD. there and I loved the architecture and the idea of this environment of profound scholarliness. Well, somehow they fucked up and accepted me to their GRADUATE school, probably because I share the same name with my father, so I didn't go. Probably for the best. :)

Last thing: if it is an education that you are really interested in, then confine yourself to the teaching colleges. Those are the ones devoted to education, vis-a-vis research. The staffs tend to be a whole lot better at the art and craft of.... Teaching!!.... imagine that. Research universities are notorious for having lousy teachers because those institutions are not very interested in education (ironic, eh?), but in pure research, which is very lucrative in terms of taxpayer funding (therefore another reason to avoid them). Because of this, while their professors tend to be very knowledgeable, they are often not so good at getting their points across in class, and that is a terrible disservice to students.

Jesuit schools are absolutely superb in this respect. There is St. Peters in Jersey City - great school - I lived across the street from them and used to walk the campus and would chat with the staff there. Pretty good stuff, if they offer what you seek. Georgetown U. is another, as is Fordham in the Bronx.

There are some schools to avoid, IMO. Stevens in Hoboken NJ is one. Great reputation as an engineering school, but their policies were very bad. For example, as of 15 or 20 years ago, the policy of the math dept was that every professor had to fail the botton 25% of their calculus classes no matter what the student performance was. If everyone in a class got 100% on every test and those tests were blindingly difficult, the professor was nevertheless obliged to fail a quarter of the students. Wanna know why? Because Stevens had to maintain its reputation as a "tough" school! IMBECILES! SO be careful, there are some shitty ones out there as well, all reputations to the contrary notwithstanding.

Anyhow, best luck in your search and may you choose well.

LibertyStudies
07-28-2010, 04:04 PM

I highly recommend the Bachelor of Individualized Study program at GMU. You can make your own major, pulling the most relevant classes from multiple disciplines. You can even title your major the way you want, and it will officially show up as such on your final transcript and diploma.

http://bis.gmu.edu/

Another good option is the University of Massachusetts. It is very easy to get into their program, and they also let you customize your degree and title it as you wish. Plus, they permit up to 30 credits to be portfolio credits - which (if you have some relevant work experience) can save you up to a year of your life!

http://www.umass.edu/uww/programs_courses/programs/prof_studies.html

As a final recommendation, I recommend Harvard University Extension School. Their have an open admissions policy (meaning you do not even need to apply) to attend. Yes, they allow you to transfer in two years of coursework. This is how it works: after completing 3 prerequisite courses at a B or higher, you can get into the school's bachelor's degree program. If you finish, you get to join the Harvard Alumni Association. Students have gone on to virtually any college in the world from Harvard University Extension School.

http://www.extension.harvard.edu/

Each of these three options offer something different. GMU is a libertarian headquarters, UMass can save you a year of your life, and Harvard University Extension School is a very safe bet.

specsaregood
07-28-2010, 04:10 PM

If you are gonna go to med school anyways, skip the 4year bachelor and go straight into one of the carib med schools. Some of those you can go to straight out of highschool. That's what i would do if I was gonna go into medicine.

eOs
07-28-2010, 04:20 PM
Socialist Sweden offers free college(hopefully recognized). I'd go there, get my degree and come back.

libertybrewcity
07-28-2010, 05:08 PM
Interesting question. I went to USC, had some fun, but it was $$$ and the bang for the buck was so-so at best, IMO. Then I went to UC Davis. Far less $$$, a good engineering school and school of arts and science (I was a triple major), but ultimately unsatisfying. I then returned home to NYC and attended CCNY and had the best experience of my life.

You are asking the right question the wrong way, IMO. It is all about what interests you. If you know that, then you find a school that offers it and you go there and you have a good time and educate yourself. That is what is important. You will never be educated by someone else, for the instructors can only act as a guide and a channel for some information. The learning is up to you alone. This doesn't mean that a good instructor is not useful, maybe even necessary, but I can tell you without reservation that you can become fabulously well learned a person despite your institution. It really is up to you. The main thing is that you hold interest in your fields of study and you are comfortable in your learning environment, and to that last point the choice of school is important - that is the "how good" factor that counts, not a school's paper rating.

Evergreen College in WA, I hear, is very good that way, as is Reed College in Portland Oregon. CCNY is a great school if you don't mind your days in Harlem, which was no issue for me. I have heard George Mason University in VA is a really good school. Impossible to say for you, though. If you are really that concerned, you need to look around and visit campuses. When a visit leaves you all happy inside, you will know you found a place for yourself. That is about it. I got very lucky with CCNY - the staff was as good as any Ivy League school.

BTW, I did my MBA at Drexel in 2005 and it, too, is a very good school, if a bit pricey (though not as high as UPenn, next door).

Much of what you choose will also depend on why you are going to school. I've been to a lot of schools, have 7 degrees, and have known a LOT of other students. One thing that stood out at me was that most students have no idea why they are in school at all, save that they are supposed to be there. I was the same until I got to CCNY, at which point I knew precisely why I was there: I loved what I was doing. Many (most??) students are going through motions they believe are expected of them, Most of those do OK in terms of grades, but I have known quite a few who look back on their college experience and say that is was "OK" at best. My oldest friend from high school, Butthole, went to NYU, got a business degree, and was miserable for four years. The only real fun he ever had, besides getting laid, was when I'd show up to his dorm room on bitter winter nights and we'd bomb pedestrians with 30 gallons of water from 11 stories straight up. Yes we ere Eville little bastards. He still says how much he hated college. I, too, had a middling to miserable time until I got to CCNY, after which I had what so far have been the three best years of my life. Every day was play and adventure for me.

So don't worry too, too much about "how good" the school is by any standard other than that of your eyes, ears, and heart. Visit a school and see how it makes you feel. When I was in high school all I wanted was to go to Princeton because my dad did his PhD. there and I loved the architecture and the idea of this environment of profound scholarliness. Well, somehow they fucked up and accepted me to their GRADUATE school, probably because I share the same name with my father, so I didn't go. Probably for the best. :)

Last thing: if it is an education that you are really interested in, then confine yourself to the teaching colleges. Those are the ones devoted to education, vis-a-vis research. The staffs tend to be a whole lot better at the art and craft of.... Teaching!!.... imagine that. Research universities are notorious for having lousy teachers because those institutions are not very interested in education (ironic, eh?), but in pure research, which is very lucrative in terms of taxpayer funding (therefore another reason to avoid them). Because of this, while their professors tend to be very knowledgeable, they are often not so good at getting their points across in class, and that is a terrible disservice to students.

Jesuit schools are absolutely superb in this respect. There is St. Peters in Jersey City - great school - I lived across the street from them and used to walk the campus and would chat with the staff there. Pretty good stuff, if they offer what you seek. Georgetown U. is another, as is Fordham in the Bronx.

There are some schools to avoid, IMO. Stevens in Hoboken NJ is one. Great reputation as an engineering school, but their policies were very bad. For example, as of 15 or 20 years ago, the policy of the math dept was that every professor had to fail the botton 25% of their calculus classes no matter what the student performance was. If everyone in a class got 100% on every test and those tests were blindingly difficult, the professor was nevertheless obliged to fail a quarter of the students. Wanna know why? Because Stevens had to maintain its reputation as a "tough" school! IMBECILES! SO be careful, there are some shitty ones out there as well, all reputations to the contrary notwithstanding.

Anyhow, best luck in your search and may you choose well.

thank you for your suggestions! i will absolutely take them into consideration. I just transferred from the Jesuit school in San Francisco and as the Jesuit schools are excellent many are lacking in terms of offerings such as research and majors due to size.