PDA

View Full Version : Blackwater Owner Supporters Ron Paul

0zzy
10-13-2007, 11:19 PM
One factor driving Blackwater’s ascent is the business savvy and deep pockets of Prince, 38, a zealous entrepreneur and heavy contributor to conservative and Christian causes.

Prince was a White House intern under President George H.W. Bush. His political donations over the past 20 years total almost $263,000 to Pat Buchanan, Oliver North, Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, and former Sen. Rick Santorum, a Pennsylvania Republican, among others. His sister, Betsy DeVos, is a former chairwoman of the Republican Party in Michigan. She’s married to Dick DeVos, a son of the co-founder of Amway and a Republican candidate for governor in Michigan. After he was sued in 2005, Prince retained former special prosecutor Kenneth Starr and current White House counsel Fred Fielding, who was then in private practice.

Source (http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ/MGArticle/WSJ_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173353111660)

steph3n
10-13-2007, 11:21 PM
that is 20 years, I am not seeing ANY donations in the Q1/Q2 reports to Ron Paul from him. Just FYI

Actually we better not see ANY from him, I think federal contractors are banned from donations.

Alabama Supporter
10-13-2007, 11:41 PM
For some reason this guy reminds me of the guys in the movies. Very slick and very profitable war business he has going.

I guess Blackwater would be on the top of the list to hunt and kill Bin Laden, but Blackwater has a pretty bad rap here.

0zzy
10-13-2007, 11:47 PM
For some reason this guy reminds me of the guys in the movies. Very slick and very profitable war business he has going.

I guess Blackwater would be on the top of the list to hunt and kill Bin Laden, but Blackwater has a pretty bad rap here.

They have a even worse one in Iraq. Stuff like what we heard happens all the time, so its more like, "oh? again? damn those americans. hm...so honey how we gonna pay for this house again?"

Man from La Mancha
10-13-2007, 11:49 PM
I don't understant is not these kind of people that would be used for Mark and Reprisal. Don't get me wrong I don't like them but would not that be a job for them to go after Ben Ladin,ect?

DEF.
Noun 1. letter of mark and reprisal - a license to a private citizen to seize property of another nation
letter of marque, letters of marque
license, permit, licence - a legal document giving official permission to do something

stones88
10-13-2007, 11:50 PM
blackwater a candidate for letters of marque and reprisal??

Dustancostine
10-14-2007, 12:06 AM
Once RP pulls our military out of the world, other countries and big corps will have to start hiring mercenaries to do their dirty work instead of our troops. Sounds profitable to me.

Man from La Mancha
10-14-2007, 12:13 AM
blackwater a candidate for letters of marque and reprisal??
They could write their contract to include penalties for hurting the innocent like loss of contract, fines and jail, to help contain their macho acts of bully-ism.

Vonhayek7
10-14-2007, 12:43 AM
He also went to Hillsdale College, a college that doesn't accept federal funding and libertarian leaning.

saku39
10-14-2007, 12:56 AM
I'm all for free markets but the idea of mercs is appalling to me.

I don't trust that Prince guy at all.

Vonhayek7
10-14-2007, 01:28 AM
This isn't free markets, this is Corporatism and legal murder. Horrible.

winston84
10-14-2007, 01:47 AM
Concur

TheIndependent
10-14-2007, 01:50 AM
Look, mercs aren't a bad idea, but they should be held to U.S. law. That's the way you do it: hold them to the same standards as any of the military.

You've seen what happens when they aren't.

Also, expect some degree of blowback from this. There are a lot of people looking for ways to take Paul down and they'll use it in any way they can even if taken completely out-of-context. You simply cannot blame the candidate for the sins of his donors.

Paulitician
10-14-2007, 01:59 AM
Isn't Blackwater USA, as Vonhayek7 says, corporatism, and part of the military-industrial complex?

TheIndependent
10-14-2007, 02:06 AM
Not if folded into the military on a temporary basis as an ancillary and complementary force when our own are stretched thin. However, they should be held from antagonizing other nations at any other time and instead should perform an on-demand security role within our nation's borders (but not against civilians). Think of the Minutemen down south.

Note that I'm not directly referencing Blackwater here. Blackwater fucked up, plain and simple, and they should be held accountable to the fullest extent possible.

steph3n
10-14-2007, 10:17 AM
everyone here is answering for the moment quite wildly. These donations were long ago.

johngr
10-14-2007, 04:31 PM
The guy donated 1000 FRNs in 1996 (not much compared to his more recent donations to candidates more protective of his current racket), when his occupation was listed as "US Navy". BFD. Such details don't get reported. This is obviously a guilt-by-association smear job. Where did they dig up such an obscure fact related to (to them anyway) obscure "bottom tier" candidate?