PDA

View Full Version : Obama Fires McChrystal

clb09
06-23-2010, 11:32 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/gen-stanley-mcchrystal-relieved-command-obama-meeting-rolling/story?id=10992188

McChrystal admitted during his round of phone calls to top Obama administration officials that he had "compromised the mission," a senior administration source told ABC News.

Elle
06-23-2010, 11:34 AM
Didn't he resign? How can you fire someone who handed in his resignation? Obama should resign.

tropicangela
06-23-2010, 11:35 AM
When will Obama fire the rest of the military and end the occupations?

RM918
06-23-2010, 11:35 AM
The wars continue to go splendidly, apparently!

catdd
06-23-2010, 11:44 AM
He should fire himself.

therepublic
06-23-2010, 12:02 PM
He should fire himself.

ditto...right along with Biden and Hillery

MelissaWV
06-23-2010, 12:05 PM
He "resigned," yeah. Most of the time, people are given a chance to step down if they want.

Today as well: a new agency for Bureau for Ocean Energy Management and whatever the hell else. Really important? When I heard this in real time, there was talk about three branches within the new Bureau. One of them is charged with collecting revenue.

The Mineral Management Service "is no more," Interior Secretary Ken Salazar told a Congressional subcommittee on Wednesday.

The hearing on the reorganization of the MMS involves a new configuration titled the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, which will be headed by Michael Bromwich and Wilma Lewis, both former prosecutors. Their involvement is aimed at "attacking" the corruption issues of the former MMS.

"I am confident that with their leadership and with the support of this committee that we will be able see the day where the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management can have the standards and can have the enforcement to be able to do job that it needs to do," Secretary Salazar said.

"It is not a good thing that we have 62 inspectors, essentially in charge of overseeing 4,000 production wells," he said, noting that there would be requests of the subcommittee for an increase in spectators. "That will have to significantly be expanded."

He closed with a call for "organic legislation" for the agency, which brings in an average of $13 billion per year to the United States.

"An agency that has that kind of important mission assigned to it is also the kind of agency that should be backed by Congressional legislation," Secretary Salazar said.

libertybrewcity
06-23-2010, 12:06 PM
did anyone read that article in rolling stone? jesus this guy is horrible. he sees afghanistan as an experiment for counterinsurgency warfare. wth is wrong with these people.

Toureg89
06-23-2010, 12:14 PM
did anyone read that article in rolling stone? jesus this guy is horrible. he sees afghanistan as an experiment for counterinsurgency warfare. wth is wrong with these people.
we dont learn from the mistakes of old empires/others: USSR and Great Britain.

Bruno
06-23-2010, 12:15 PM

pretty eye=opening stuff in there. mentions the Tillman cover-up as well.

HOLLYWOOD
06-23-2010, 12:47 PM
we dont learn from the mistakes of old empires/others: USSR and Great Britain.

These clowns in Washington DC and New York don't care... it's a scrimmage game to them and they don't pay, the Peasants pay with their taxes and blood.

All these Generals are puppets for the politicians, who in turn, are puppets to the; Wealth, Elitists, and Fanatics, that control this country.

The Wars and Tyranny won't stop until there's an economic collapse in the US. The FEDERAL RESERVE is empowering the machine for as long as it has secrecy and control.

Southron
06-23-2010, 01:26 PM
I have thought about this a bit and I really don't feel sorry for McChrystal.

His position was essentially a political one and he made a political mistake.

Sean Hannity sure is going to enjoy this though.:rolleyes:

Rylick
06-23-2010, 01:29 PM
If he has such harsh words for Obama aka Bush 2.0 I wonder what he would have said if Ron would be president.

Bruno
06-23-2010, 01:34 PM
If he has such harsh words for Obama aka Bush 2.0 I wonder what he would have said if Ron would be president.

He would have said, "Thanks for letting me finally be home safe with my family again."

Rylick
06-23-2010, 01:42 PM
He would have said, "Thanks for letting me finally be home safe with my family again."
I don't think so ;)
He's not on the frontline. He's in the administration. War is his possession and his life. Obviously he's a part of the military industrial complex.

angelatc
06-23-2010, 01:45 PM
Didn't he resign? How can you fire someone who handed in his resignation? Obama should resign.

This explains why the American media didn't report the resignation. The White House wanted an opportunity to prove that Obama, who is fumbling as a leader right now because of the oil spill, actually does have a spine in there somewhere.

With snakes, it is hard to tell sometimes, you know.

Bruno
06-23-2010, 01:51 PM
I don't think so ;)
He's not on the frontline. He's in the administration. War is his possession and his life. Obviously he's a part of the military industrial complex.

I know, it was just wishful thinking. According to the article, he invited like 20 guys along for dinner in Paris with his wife, he he barely sees.

nbruno322
06-23-2010, 01:54 PM
Think about it, do you guys really think a guy who has devoted his life to the military would make such a silly mistake as to say these things to the press and NOT know what the consequences would be?? It doesn't make sense and is highly unlikely if you ask me. In my view, it appears that McChrystal knew exactly what he was doing and what the consequences would be. He wanted to resign b/c he knows the mission he has been assigned to is impossible and shows how bad things really are over there.

idirtify
06-23-2010, 02:01 PM

obama "accepted his resignation" (live on CNN today).

idirtify
06-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Think about it, do you guys really think a guy who has devoted his life to the military would make such a silly mistake as to say these things to the press and NOT know what the consequences would be?? It doesn't make sense and is highly unlikely if you ask me. In my view, it appears that McChrystal knew exactly what he was doing and what the consequences would be. He wanted to resign b/c he knows the mission he has been assigned to is impossible and shows how bad things really are over there.

i agree

michaelwise
06-23-2010, 05:06 PM
The lame stream media talking point is that McCrystal bla bla. McCrystal resigned his command, period. He didn't give BO the chance to fire him.

Todd
06-23-2010, 05:11 PM

What do you expect? They've spent their whole life studying the art of warfare. It's the failure of the system controlling this machine that's the problem.

John Taylor
06-23-2010, 05:44 PM

Of course Afghanistan is an experiment in COIN, as Lebanon, Angola, Rhodesia, Vietnam and Algeria before... would you not want American commanders to study and determine whether the tactics of say, the French in Algeria in constructing the cordon sanitaire is worth emulating to save lives and suppress the Taliban? Should the general staff simply go in like the Russians rolled in 30 years ago? There would be a lot more grieving American mothers, a lot more grieving Afgani mothers, and many of the contributers here would be overseas.

Acala
06-23-2010, 05:45 PM

Good point. When you command an army in a war it can't win, what's the best exit strategy? Get yourself fired for complaining about how your hands were tied. Hehehe. Pretty smart, if somewhat cowardly when you think of the soldiers he left behind.

I think he has that creepy robot look to him - like Oliver North.

lynnf
06-23-2010, 06:08 PM
wouldn't it be ironic if McChrystal were the general that gets to arrest Obama as a usurper and illegitimate candidate for president?

more ironic things than that have happened in history!

lynn

BadPenny
06-23-2010, 06:16 PM

Huh.

I wonder why our government would want to train their troops in counterinsurgency? Hmm. I mean, I can't imagine any reason to train soldiers in a skill other than if you thought they might need that skill at some point in the future.

Now, where do you suppose the government of this country thinks their soldiers might need to be deployed to crush an insurgency?

You don't really think this is about what happens in Iraq and Afghanistan do you? That's just practice.

They're learning to fight poorly armed civilians in urban environments. They're planning to fight poorly armed civilians in urban environments.

Still worried about banking reform?

-Rob

silus
06-23-2010, 06:28 PM
wouldn't it be ironic if McChrystal were the general that gets to arrest Obama as a usurper and illegitimate candidate for president?

more ironic things than that have happened in history!

lynn
You're in the wrong forum, and you're clearly an idiot.

Vessol
06-23-2010, 06:34 PM
this whole thing is a joke. The real question should be "Why are we in Afghanistan?" not "Should a General be able to make an off-hand remark?"

The lame stream media talking point is that McCrystal bla bla. McCrystal resigned his command, period. He didn't give BO the chance to fire him.

90% of Resignations are forced. It's how you go out more gracefully. Dropping on his own sword instead of letting someone else take him out.

chadhb
06-23-2010, 06:42 PM
Alex Jones once again getting it right, the magazine interview was the setup to get fired/resign. Whether who setup the magazine story up, the General new excatly what he was doing or was ordered to say things, hell he most likely never was interviewed.

Vessol
06-23-2010, 06:44 PM
Alex Jones once again getting it right, the magazine interview was the setup to get fired/resign. Whether who setup the magazine story up, the General new excatly what he was doing or was ordered to say things, hell he most likely never was interviewed.

Why does Alex Jones think that this neocon was set-up?

lynnf
06-23-2010, 06:45 PM
You're in the wrong forum, and you're clearly an idiot.

you're wrong on both counts, "genius"

lynn