PDA

View Full Version : Federal vs State rights

tangent4ronpaul
06-23-2010, 08:49 AM
Well do we want more rights for the states or for the federal government?

You just pointed out the 800 lb guerrilla in the middle of the room.

The expected answer is more states rights. What's wrong with that picture? If you ask people at random who there Reps / Senators are in Washington and what legislation they are working on many will know. The media reports on this.

If you ask them who their state level reps or city / county council members are and what laws they are working on, it's a very rare person that won't give you a blank stare. It's generally not reported on. At best, they may give you a last name they saw on a yard sign.

In theory, the federal government is supposed to be severely limited and state rights very broad. Yet, the latter is virtually invisible to the public and often more draconian than what the feds do.

In countering the fed gov overstepping it's bounds, getting people elected to federal office is the obvious answer. Getting people elected to local office can be equilly effective as they can say no to the feds. Both are a lot easier said than done.

Educating voters as to what's going on at both levels seems the most effective method, but without a media infrastructure, very expensive and dificult to pull off.

-t

Brooklyn Red Leg
06-23-2010, 09:06 AM
You just pointed out the 800 lb guerrilla in the middle of the room.

What about Individual Rights? I'm being serious, btw.

I cannot for the life of me understand how it is people FORGET that The Constitution is a contract between 3 partners: FedGov, StateGov and Citizens. The Hierarchy of Power is SUPPOSED to have US at the top. We have Unlimited Rights. States have Some Rights whereas FedGov ONLY has Delineated Powers.

Elwar
06-23-2010, 09:09 AM
The more localized the power, the more competition of ideas is allowed to flourish.

tangent4ronpaul
06-23-2010, 09:20 AM
We have the same problems as the federal government. There are entrenched incumbents that are well funded by special interests - developers, major corporations, etc. in exchange for votes favorable to those companies profits.

The difference is that it's not reported on, so people are oblivious that it's happening.

We also have one SOB that won't let a single bill loosening gun control come on the floor. He's in a position to do that - the equivalent of Pelosi or Reid and has proven difficult to unseat.

-t

Xenophage
06-23-2010, 09:25 AM
Governments don't have rights. Neither State Rights nor Federal Rights exist. Legislative action is more accountable at the local level, so we want more local control and less Federal. I think the whole "State's Rights" thing is a misnomer, though.