PDA

View Full Version : California Lawmakers Consider Ads On Digital License Plates For Revenue

Kludge
06-23-2010, 02:29 AM
"It seems impossible to escape advertising, and California, looking for any possible way to close its budget gap, may make it still more difficult.

The state is considering electronic license plates. The reason for the digital-age change, though, is strictly monetary: advertising.

The plates would appear to be standard license plates when the vehicle is moving, but when the vehicle is stopped for more than four seconds, either in traffic or at a stop light, would switch to digital messages. The number wouldn't vanish completely; it would still be visible in the corner of the plate."

More @ http://hothardware.com/News/Calif--Examines-AdSupported-Digital-License-Plates/

Kregisen
06-23-2010, 02:46 AM
lol

james1906
06-23-2010, 06:41 AM
California..putting The Onion out of business.

Bruno
06-23-2010, 06:45 AM
Nothing like making all your citizens billboards on wheels.

It's a great idea when the State does it, but they would probably make it unlawful if a private company where to do so.

specsaregood
06-23-2010, 06:50 AM
I can't wait for this. I give it a week max before whatever "security" they put in place is cracked. I can't wait to hack people's license plates and put my own message on them, just imagine the hillarity.....

Cowlesy
06-23-2010, 06:55 AM
Best idea ever.

The possibilities for hyjinks are numerous.

aGameOfThrones
06-23-2010, 08:28 AM
Imagine if they started reporting on the LP that you "owed" tickets, child support, convicted of "drug laws," income tax, etc. After all, it's to make the police officers job better, and so that drivers feel safe knowing that there is a tax "cheat" in front of them etc. Lets say that for "legal" purposes it only indirectly mentions one of the above things for example: it advertises that you should pay your income tax like a good slave and that tax cheats are bad people, that "ad" would only show on LP whose register "owner" "owes" such taxes. After all, it's not your License Plate or your Car.

tangent4ronpaul
06-23-2010, 08:59 AM
I can't wait for this. I give it a week max before whatever "security" they put in place is cracked. I can't wait to hack people's license plates and put my own message on them, just imagine the hillarity.....

That's exactly what I was thinking... hack it and put our advertising on it. You could also, in theory, change your LP number to whatever. Reminds me of James Bonds cars or those teenage kids that snuck up on a red light / speeding enforcement camera van, stole their LP's, put them on their own vehicle and then drove past said van at like 100mph, letting the van take a pic of their own plates... :D

What Fun!

-t

catdd
06-23-2010, 09:11 AM
Seems the government would rather have their mothers working in a whorehouse than come to the conclusion that Keynesian economics is finished. They simply do not want to give up.
They will continue to find ways to squeeze more and more out of us until we pop.

TC95
06-23-2010, 09:11 AM
What would they advertise? What if I don't support what they're advertising? Why should I have to advertise their garbage on my vehicle?

aGameOfThrones
06-23-2010, 02:56 PM
What would they advertise? What if I don't support what they're advertising? Why should I have to advertise their garbage on my vehicle?

It's not your license plate or your vehicle.

TC95
06-23-2010, 03:11 PM
It's not your license plate or your vehicle.

Oh, yeah. I forgot. Since I have to pay property tax on it, it's not mine. I apparently have no right to own a car since they're gonna tax every car I buy till the day I die, which makes it theirs.

YouTube - Tim Hawkins - The Government Can (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2eh6f5Go0)

free1
06-23-2010, 05:24 PM
MORE REVENUE!!!!!

No need to cut back government.

Government is a ever growing entity!